Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 795. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
LOL, it is not about innovation, nor features. In the long term you need the masses. Monero had a great team and well that's it. Newcomers can do much better.

So much time passed but no broad acceptance... just think..

Current price is a great price to sell, which I did.

No hate intented, just being honest.

Mass acceptance would be nice, but if the devs wanted that they would have released an official gui. Obviously they dont want this. Until they do its fair to think of this project as being in beta. Its a little unfair to call it on not achieving mass acceptance before anyone has even tried to push for that. Some other amazing crypto currency that hasn't been invented yet but will be in the future also hasnt achieved mass acceptance yet, should we call it dead too?

I don't think this is strictly correct.  The development of a GUI is on the road map, but it is much more necessary to make sure the mathematical fundamentals of Monero are sound.  This is no easy task, and I would dare say that most cryptocurrency enthusiasts do not understand or are capable of understanding the mathematics involved in Monero (ring sigs, etc).  The Monero development team is fairly small and most have other pursuits in addition to developing Monero.  I would still classify it is a type of hobby (for traders, developers, enthusiasts)--until wider adoption happens in which developers who hold Monero can maybe live off their new found wealth and concentrate on Monero full time.  This type of critical mass hasn't been achieved yet.

With the USD, the fed just prints them and distributes them.  Its not really complicated.  Cryptocurrencies on the other hand are a different type of beast, and require some very knowledgeable people to maintain and innovate on novel cryptocurrency platforms such as Monero.

Newcomers could possibly help, but the learning curve is rather steep for people who truly want to innovate and make the underlying mathematics bulletproof.

As far as mass acceptances goes:  This probably won't happen for a long time.  It hasn't even happened for Bitcoin really.  Cryptocurrency needs an "iPhone/iPod" type of success to really reach mass appeal--furthermore, large amounts of people have to want it in the first place...which I don't think is a stage we are at either.  A possible catalyst for wider acceptance would be a major world wide depression in which fiat fails dramatically...instead of the slow and inexorable failure we have seen in the past.  Its possible governments may not let this happen (by forcing the working masses to bail out banks, fear mongering through regulation, etc) and will thus force cryptocurrencies underground, and there they may stay.

On the other hand, maybe its enough that a small amount of people can transact with digital cash?  Do we really need mass appeal?  Maybe its enough that we can choose to go our own way, and choose cryptocurrency as the means for payment and store of value even if we are a small cadre of people?

People > Governments.

Just right now many of the people are distracted with football and other crap our society considers "important".

Once people wake up when they can't buy food and pay their bills on a mass scale due to government abuse of the monetary system, watch the people lash back.

It won't matter what governments want in the end people will rule.

The U.S. is in its end stages just like Rome was before its empire collapsed.
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
A lot of action over at MoneroDice tonight. User othe ended up with +15480 XMR profit today! At one point he was down -4k and the high was almost 20k.

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Nexious.com Admin
Nexious is pleased to announce the launch of our anonymous mining pool! We are currently 0% Fees and hourly payouts.

Come and check us out at https://xmr.nexious.com

Activity: 337
Merit: 250
LOL, it is not about innovation, nor features. In the long term you need the masses. Monero had a great team and well that's it. Newcomers can do much better.

Mass acceptance would be nice, but if the devs wanted that they would have released an official gui. Obviously they dont want this. Until they do its fair to think of this project as being in beta. Its a little unfair to call it on not achieving mass acceptance before anyone has even tried to push for that. Some other amazing crypto currency that hasn't been invented yet but will be in the future also hasnt achieved mass acceptance yet, should we call it dead too?

I don't think this is strictly correct.  The development of a GUI is on the road map, but it is much more necessary to make sure the mathematical fundamentals of Monero are sound.  This is no easy task, and I would dare say that most cryptocurrency enthusiasts do not understand or are capable of understanding the mathematics involved in Monero (ring sigs, etc).  The Monero development team is fairly small and most have other pursuits in addition to developing Monero.  I would still classify it is a type of hobby (for traders, developers, enthusiasts)--until wider adoption happens in which developers who hold Monero can maybe live off their new found wealth and concentrate on Monero full time.  This type of critical mass hasn't been achieved yet.

With the USD, the fed just prints them and distributes them.  Its not really complicated.  Cryptocurrencies on the other hand are a different type of beast, and require some very knowledgeable people to maintain and innovate on novel cryptocurrency platforms such as Monero.

Newcomers could possibly help, but the learning curve is rather steep for people who truly want to innovate and make the underlying mathematics bulletproof.

As far as mass acceptances goes:  This probably won't happen for a long time.  It hasn't even happened for Bitcoin really.  Cryptocurrency needs an "iPhone/iPod" type of success to really reach mass appeal--furthermore, large amounts of people have to want it in the first place...which I don't think is a stage we are at either.  A possible catalyst for wider acceptance would be a major world wide depression in which fiat fails dramatically...instead of the slow and inexorable failure we have seen in the past.  Its possible governments may not let this happen (by forcing the working masses to bail out banks, fear mongering through regulation, etc) and will thus force cryptocurrencies underground, and there they may stay.

On the other hand, maybe its enough that a small amount of people can transact with digital cash?  Do we really need mass appeal?  Maybe its enough that we can choose to go our own way, and choose cryptocurrency as the means for payment and store of value even if we are a small cadre of people?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Mass acceptance would be nice, but if the devs wanted that they would have released an official gui.

No way in hell would an official GUI result in mass acceptance (now). There are 1000+ coins 99+% of which have an official GUI and zero of them have mass acceptance.

We have to be realistic, do the best we can on the resource budget we have and hope the wider world someday sees a need for what we are doing.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

True, however... not true. What's the intention of any Dev, in any field..

Not even btc has mass acceptance.  As far as Monero, both the devs and the community have kept me here for well over a year.  I like the intention of both of them as well as their actions.

And ofc what GingerAle said.
legendary
Activity: 1260

To develop things that will stand the tests of time. ( period )
Activity: 335

legendary
Activity: 1260

seriously. Monero's been around for ~1.5 years. Too much caffeine in these parts.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

Activity: 335

legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

Nick von Szaborhagen will not rest until humanity has slipped the surly bonds of Earth (statism/biology/gravity) and lives among the stars!

He also follows the official Monero twitter account since a month or so :-)

Shocked

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Monero gets a shout out from the bitcoin core maintainer, Wladimir:

http://bitcoin-development.narkive.com/mH0GrHuE/libconsensus-and-bitcoin-development-process#post7

Always a pleasant surprise to get appreciation from other parts of the community.  Grin

That's cool.  But this is epic (ie, set my fanboy heart aflutter  Cheesy).

Nick von Szaborhagen will not rest until humanity has slipped the surly bonds of Earth (statism/biology/gravity) and lives among the stars!

He also follows the official Monero twitter account since a month or so :-)
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
How does a technology like MaidSAFE play into some of these decentralized mesh-networking ideas? It sounds like they a pretty killer technology? Full disclosure I own a few MaidSafe coins (tho not anywhere near as much as I have invested in BTC or XMR)

Last time I checked, one big problem with maidsafe is that it treats data transmission and storage as a homogeneous service when this is simply not the case. Transmitting across the north korean boarder for example is a very very different service than transmitting from one apartment to the next in new york city. Additionally storing data in Timbuktu is not as useful to most people as storing it in los angales. So an efficient market would have different prices that accounted for all of the nuances of these different scenarios. Maidsafe treats these all the same. Its decentralized in some ways but weirdly centralized in others, in terms of a single centrally developed algorythm that routes traffic and assigns storage locations. Very different from a network of freely associated node entrepreneurs responding to price signals sent by the demands of consumers.

But take all that with a grain of salt. I am NOT a maidsafe expert. I would love to hear that they have solved all this since the last time i dug in which was pretty early in the project.

*edit* though maidsafe seems like it might be a great thing to layer ontop of a meshnet inorder to get many of the benefits they claim i.e. privacy and data redundancy and decentralized storage fault tolerance.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
There was another innovation talk in parliament today.

I keep raising crypto when it gets to the open questions part at the end.  Cool

Lots of these key innovators are already hot for bitcoin, they need to know there are more alternatives out there.

/G
Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
wow you guys gamble like this would be candy...

http://monerodice.pd.to/user.php?username=othe
Activity: 379
How does a technology like MaidSAFE play into some of these decentralized mesh-networking ideas? It sounds like they a pretty killer technology? Full disclosure I own a few MaidSafe coins (tho not anywhere near as much as I have invested in BTC or XMR)
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
I've created this webpage with stats for MoneroDice. Makes it easier to see who has won/lost etc. It's experimental and may contain bugs.

http://monerodice.pd.to/

Everytime a bet is made the list of latest bets will update automatically, same with bankroll/wagered (every 5 sec).

A guy just bet 13500 XMR on monerodice and lost  Shocked

How is the profit from that distributed?  Can we rush our XMR over to XMRDice's bankroll after the fact, or do only preexisting investors benefit?  Is there a rolling window or what?
The profit is instantly distributed among those who has invested at the time of the bet. If you were divested at the time, you're out of luck.
Jump to: