Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 793. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1193
Merit: 1000
Peaky Blinder
Nice dump, is there any reason?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

So basically India just mandated that they operate in the stone age.  Good job. 

Does this mean that bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are basically illegal there now?

In normal use Bitcoin does not encrypt anything, nor does Monero. Signing is different from encrypting, and most cryptocurrencies don't have any kind of encryption function, although there are some alts do add "encrypted chat" or "encrypted messages" functions.

The new stealth payment IDs in the development version of Monero could be considered encryption (for encrypting a very short 64 bit message).

What about encrypting your wallet file?

Good point, I was thinking about data you send. Similarly wallet file encryption is not essential to using Bitcoin, etc., but of course that doesn't make this new rule any less stupid.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Does this mean that bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are basically illegal there now?

In normal use Bitcoin does not encrypt anything, nor does Monero. Signing is different from encrypting, and most cryptocurrencies don't have any kind of encryption function, although there are some alts do add "encrypted chat" or "encrypted messages" functions.

The new stealth payment IDs in the development version of Monero could be considered encryption (for encrypting a very short 64 bit message).

What about encrypting your wallet file?
legendary

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
@monerodice: players seem to have good luck Wink

It's mainly othe though :-P
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
@monerodice: players seem to have good luck Wink

legendary
FYI - AWESOME FACT - To date, the Monero community has put up 17166 XMR for 7 developers / projects. ... which is, at todays value, worth ~ 8500 US dollars, and in 10 years value, is with 8500 kadjillion US dollars.

Also, don't forget the last project before this latest one (documenting the code) also got fully funded really fast. About 24 hours IIRC.

So yes I agree:

Point is, MONERO IS HIRING!
Activity: 722
Merit: 500
StakeChain Community leader
knip..

Current price is a great price to sell, which I did.

knip..
I have 3 coins I support and XMR is still a coin with great potention.
I think the current price is a solid floor and a good time to invest.
I own not very much XMR but keep them safe in mymonero webwallet.
The address is my avatar.

Nice development the android wallet!
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
FYI - AWESOME FACT - To date, the Monero community has put up 17166 XMR for 7 developers / projects. ... which is, at todays value, worth ~ 8500 US dollars, and in 10 years value, is with 8500 kadjillion US dollars.

Point is, MONERO IS HIRING!

And in case people have missed it, the developer of the android mobile wallet has pitched to improve his software, which can be seen here.

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/2385/improving-the-android-monero-wallet-reactnative-wallets-for-ios-and-android

At this point, people need to consider the proposition and ask questions to refine the "contract". If people like it, I guess it needs some more pledges or approvals or something for it to be moved to the "funding required" section.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
I wanted to raise some awareness for a task that is still open, namely expanding the Moneropedia entries on the Monero website.

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/347/expand-moneropedia-entries-on-the-monero-website

This is quite an important task, since it will help a lot of newcomers.

If you are think you are capable to do this, please just pitch for it and ask a reasonable amount of funding. I am quite sure people are willing to fund this if the proposed price is reasonable.

P.S. Ginger's thread needs funding as well -> https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2355/improved-nvidia-mining-software

I just posted an offer to work on and receive funding for the Moneropedia entries in the thread :

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/347/expand-moneropedia-entries-on-the-monero-website

I see fluffypony moved it to funding required, here is the link:

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/347/expand-moneropedia-entries-on-the-monero-website

Funded already, great work guys and thanks to everyone who donated!
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Also I locked myself out of my server couple times, now I know everythingsome things you shouldn't do.

The list is really long. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Thanks everybody! I got it working, its amazing what some sleep will do for your problems.

Mainly, I forgot that I was testing the request from a different server that was my localhost but not the server localhost, haha.

Also I locked myself out of my server couple times, now I know everything you shouldn't do.
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
Another help request, if anyone can offer it.

I want to block incoming traffic to port 18082 on my server except for requests from the localhost.

I thought this would work, but its dropping all requests even from the same server. Huh?

Code:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 18082 -s 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 18082 -j DROP

Try accepting all from your loopback interface and droping the rest

Code:
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -p tcp --dport 18082 -j ACCEPT

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
swap the order?

Code:

I could be wrong, but I think iptables processes the rules in order.  So the DROP will match first and not progress to the ACCEPT.

I don't know, haven't needed to for over a decade and can barely remember how to get to a command line now. I've just gotten real lazy in my old age, maybe I should get a mac! Smiley

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-iptables-rules-to-help-secure-your-linux-box/
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
swap the order?

Code:

I could be wrong, but I think iptables processes the rules in order.  So the DROP will match first and not progress to the ACCEPT.
Activity: 201
Merit: 100

I want to block incoming traffic to port 18082 on my server except for requests from the localhost.

I thought this would work, but its dropping all requests even from the same server. Huh?

Code:

Perhaps...

Adjust the src ip to the full localhost range.  And use CIDR notation.
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 18082 -s 127.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT

And add another line to reference your ethernet IP as well:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 18082 -s 192.168.0.100/32 -j ACCEPT

(192.168.0.100 is just a placeholder.  Put in your real address.  You can dig that up with "ip addr" or "ifconfig")

You could also allow your entire local subnet by changing the 192.168.0.100/32 to 192.168.0.0/24 .  Again, the IP is dependent on what your local DHCP server hands out.  You might be on 192.168.1.x instead.  Or something wildly different.

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

Code:

swap the order?

Code:

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

Code:
Jump to: