Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 804. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.

There's three finger swipe. No such thing like single paw pawing. Either you invent that yourself, and publish into the open domain realm, or you are best of improvising something like tablet pen / paw interface using duct tape, furball. That would be some serious focus.
Activity: 462
Merit: 500

This was posted about 7 months ago.. has any development happened on this front? Can we set up a donation goal to get this going? Would be more then willing to donate some BTC to have some serious focus on this....
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
for the same reason they're not launching humans on the falcon X.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Experiences using Shapeshift.io and xmr.to

SHAPESHIFT

I sent about 10 Monero to the specified shapeshift address, including the provided Payment ID. Transaction occurred well within the 10 minute window, and I used the official latest release simplewallet from version 0.8.8.6.
Transaction details were confirmed on moneroblocks.eu block explorer.

Note that shapeshift specifies 6 digits beyond the decimal point.

Just to keep it simple, the mixin I specified was 0.

I included a return address.  

The transaction failed to be recognized by shapeshift, and the 10 minute timer expired.
I received my Monero back, but only after I opened a support ticket with shapeshift. (took ~70 minutes to get a response and a refund)

I have dealt with them in the past and they always get back to me and make things right, but the XMR to BTC shapeshift has failed twice for me in the past week.

XMR.TO

I sent about 10 Monero to the xmr.to address, including the specified Payment ID, within the 5 minute window.

Notes-
- xmr.to is the OpenAlias Monero address
- website includes exact simplewallet 'transfer' command syntax (including explicit XMR address)
- only 1 digit beyond decimal
- mixin specified was 3, per the provided simplewallet syntax code

Transaction was instantly recognized and I received the BTC in a matter of seconds  (1 confirmation took ~30 minutes)

Privacy:
SS - low privacy (had to provide my email address to initiate a ticket, mixin was 0)
xmr.to - decent privacy (mixin was 3, BTC transactions are of course public)

Nice comparison. I think there is one advantage of shapeshift that is worth mentioning..... two way exchanges

any chance xmr.to could add btc>xmr exchanges in the future?
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
too cute to not make on topic

G2M
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Activity: 616
I found this, it's adorable:

That is all.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Just wanted to let everyone know I am still around.

I am eager for translations to be done to make it easier to attract Chinese traders and attract interest from the Chinese exchanges. 

Please keep contacting btc38 especially if you are already an active customer there.

Is the translation not done yet? I thought it was crowdfunded and done months ago.

It's already done, just not merged into the site. For more info, see -> https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/329/translation-of-content-on-getmonero-org-into-chinese?sort=date_desc
legendary
Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

I am eager for translations to be done to make it easier to attract Chinese traders and attract interest from the Chinese exchanges. 

Please keep contacting btc38 especially if you are already an active customer there.

Is the translation not done yet? I thought it was crowdfunded and done months ago.
Activity: 122
Merit: 100

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
Experiences using Shapeshift.io and xmr.to

SHAPESHIFT

I sent about 10 Monero to the specified shapeshift address, including the provided Payment ID. Transaction occurred well within the 10 minute window, and I used the official latest release simplewallet from version 0.8.8.6.
Transaction details were confirmed on moneroblocks.eu block explorer.

Note that shapeshift specifies 6 digits beyond the decimal point.

Just to keep it simple, the mixin I specified was 0.

I included a return address.  

The transaction failed to be recognized by shapeshift, and the 10 minute timer expired.
I received my Monero back, but only after I opened a support ticket with shapeshift. (took ~70 minutes to get a response and a refund)

I have dealt with them in the past and they always get back to me and make things right, but the XMR to BTC shapeshift has failed twice for me in the past week.

XMR.TO

I sent about 10 Monero to the xmr.to address, including the specified Payment ID, within the 5 minute window.

Notes-
- xmr.to is the OpenAlias Monero address
- website includes exact simplewallet 'transfer' command syntax (including explicit XMR address)
- only 1 digit beyond decimal
- mixin specified was 3, per the provided simplewallet syntax code

Transaction was instantly recognized and I received the BTC in a matter of seconds  (1 confirmation took ~30 minutes)

Privacy:
SS - low privacy (had to provide my email address to initiate a ticket, mixin was 0)
xmr.to - decent privacy (mixin was 3, BTC transactions are of course public)
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Let's say I wanted to develop a Monero accepting site.

What I am envisioning is using Node.js to fire off RPC calls to another server hosting the hot wallet. I see someone else has a little headway here: https://github.com/netmonk/moneronjs

My question is, what is the most secure method of hosting the wallet and where would you suggest I do so?

Activity: 201
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Another day another 3 PRs merged Smiley

According to #monero-dev another huge one is coming up *drum rolls*

Told ya so Smiley -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/393
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
so I'm working on a modified ubuntu distribution that will function as a monero node. It will also GPU solo mine (or to a pool, up to the user to decide).

So, the box will just connect to your home network, and will essentially just be running constantly.

I've got most of the backend stuff figured out, but I think it'd be awesome if it had a nice web gui interface, such that you could log into the box and make updates via a web interface, like with your router.

anybody have this skill set?

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
hostile fork that goes against the wishes of the community

There's no such thing. Don't make the same polarizing simplifications that are tearing the community appart.

+1. There are more than enough XT / BIP101 / larger blocks threads - let's try to stay on topic.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
hostile fork that goes against the wishes of the community

There's no such thing. Don't make the same polarizing simplifications that are tearing the community appart.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
The alphabet will come in time. They always do. 

They will come for Monero as well, so we should expect that.  Those of us who are public personalities (especially Americans) involved with Monero better start taking a hard look at our lives now and considering that we may one day be (or are already) objects of interest for the powers that be. 

I'm ok with this.... well, not ok with this.  I understand this is a necessary evil and will conduct my personal life accordingly.  This way when I say I am merely a passionate hobbyist of bleeding-edge crypto who seeks to profit off it, it will be a true statement. 

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Sorry guys, I have my tinfoil hat firmly on for Bitcoin XT and that's why I don't comment on it much:  

Create what you fear the most.  

What could be more damaging to Bitcoin than a hostile fork that goes against the wishes of the community?  

Why not create it early, and have it fail spectacularly?  This sets a very powerful precedent: hostile alt-forks that go against the will of the major players are doomed to fail.  

My two pegacents.

I think its entirely reasonable to put on that hat. After all satoshi left because gavin began rubbing elbows with an alphabet and gavin is leading the charge on this. If gavin is well intentioned, than its unfortunate that he does not understand that there is something so much bigger at stake here than the block size. I find it hard to belive that he cant see that so that's another reason why im inclined to entertain if not outright support your metallic hat.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
Sorry guys, I have my tinfoil hat firmly on for Bitcoin XT and that's why I don't comment on it much: 

Create what you fear the most. 

What could be more damaging to Bitcoin than a hostile fork that goes against the wishes of the community? 

Why not create it early, and have it fail spectacularly?  This sets a very powerful precedent: hostile alt-forks that go against the will of the major players are doomed to fail. 

My two pegacents.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
dunno if this has been posted before - gmaxwell discussing his privacy approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pyVvq-vrrM&feature=youtu.be&t=35m5s

sorry for offtopic but does anyone know gmaxwells position on the fork? which fork will he be taking?

I have not seen him state a position explicitly but I'm almost certain he would not support XT

That's my thinking. I really hope xt fails. They tried to get consensus and they failed, due to resistance from some really smart people (adam back ie). Now they are trying to coupe de ta? They are beginning to appear fanatical.
Jump to: