Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 807. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
what can i do? its still there, os x yosemite after maybe 72H:

Code:
[1440424168] libunbound[1011:0] error: can't create socket: Too many open files
[warn] kqueue: Too many open files
[err] evsig_init: socketpair: Too many open files

do i need to restart the node automatically to prevent this? i want to have this node running 24/7, especially since it runs so smooth except this issue (i run testnet + normal on the same macbook)

Version it says ( Huh):

Code:
bitmonero v0.8.8.7-f7c27f8

should i rebuild?

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
DO NOT DEPOSIT XMR TO CRYPTSY !!

It's NOT POSSIBLE to withdraw coins once you deposit!!! Their system is broken or so they say. Very suspicious!
I opened a ticket almost 4 days ago, still waiting !!
DAY 7 , STILL UNABLE TO WITHDRAW!

FUCKING CRYPTSY SCAMMERS!!!!
Just a little side bar for you.

This is a ploy often seen on exchanges who are still trying to accumulate a position in the coin, and really just don't feel like buying it. So instead, you're footing the bill.

Just like Poloniex has had more than one mysteriously 'not creditable' deposit due to 'software prblmz n stuff' from a year and a half ago, cryptsy is now doing the same thing.

It's okay though, look at how fantastic Poloniex turned out!

And then you can enter the arbitrage bussiness between Cryptsy and Poloniex.
Just kidding, of course.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Hello

Can I mine simultaneous on different machines using the same XMR address ?

Of course  Grin
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Hello

Can I mine simultaneous on different machines using the same XMR address ?

Activity: 183
Merit: 100
It was run with --batch-size 1000

This may be an obvious question, but you have enough free disk space, right?

Yep, hundreds of GB free.  Huh
G2M
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Activity: 616

It's NOT POSSIBLE to withdraw coins once you deposit!!! Their system is broken or so they say. Very suspicious!

Just a little side bar for you.

This is a ploy often seen on exchanges who are still trying to accumulate a position in the coin, and really just don't feel like buying it. So instead, you're footing the bill.

Just like Poloniex has had more than one mysteriously 'not creditable' deposit due to 'software prblmz n stuff' from a year and a half ago, cryptsy is now doing the same thing.

It's okay though, look at how fantastic Poloniex turned out!
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
will it build??

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/453614/

hey hey computer will you compile that?
legendary
Activity: 1624
5 more PRs merged today Smiley
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

Regarding #6, this is possible but will cost you 10 XMR. Importing into simplewallet is free.

If you create the seed, then log into MyMonero with it, THEN send coins to it, you won't have to pay the import fee (I think). It won't be a "real" cold storage account at that point though. You might as well create an address @ MyMonero instead to be honest. Of course it'll be a 13 word seed instead of 25 word, if you have some reason for preferring one over the other.

Edit: looks like saddam hasn't updated http://moneroaddress.org yet. Grabbing mooo's version from Github should work great.

That's correct - the import function is a convenience tool for people who want mobile access to an existing wallet or similar. It chews up some of the CPU cores on the backend (and hammers the disk) whilst it scans through the whole blockchain, so the fee is for us to offset the added cost of extra availability for this.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
I will update moneroaddress.org later today  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

Regarding #6, this is possible but will cost you 10 XMR. Importing into simplewallet is free.

If you create the seed, then log into MyMonero with it, THEN send coins to it, you won't have to pay the import fee (I think). It won't be a "real" cold storage account at that point though. You might as well create an address @ MyMonero instead to be honest. Of course it'll be a 13 word seed instead of 25 word, if you have some reason for preferring one over the other.

Edit: looks like saddam hasn't updated http://moneroaddress.org yet. Grabbing mooo's version from Github should work great.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Anyway, so, I am to understand that that weirdness I posted *was* an actual bug in the offline address generator?  

And now it's updated so's things *should* work the way I was expecting them to work now?  Yes?

Explained by luigi1111 below:

I can answer this.

It's due to the way the MyMonero code derives the viewkey, which is different than simplewallet. Now, for "MyMonero" 13 word seeds, this is correct as it's the established behavior. For 25 word seeds, things can get a bit wonky.

Without getting too technical, simplewallet only generates "seeds" that are valid private keys, but will accept *any* 25 word seed. Mooo's address generator currently produces random seeds, not ensuring they are valid private keys. Due to the way MyMonero creates the view key, it will come up different ("random seed" vs "valid private key seed").

If anyone is interested in the code, I wrote it up here a few days ago: http://pastebin.com/MHYZzWWz

Simple answer: if you send coins to either of those addresses, they'll be recoverable; you'll just have to pay attention (you can "properly" generate the view key from the seed and log into MyMonero with the "Login with Public Key" if you want).

Bonus: here's the seed for that address which will work for both simplewallet and MyMonero (will produce your first address):

Code:
hoisting sorry alerts sieve request stockpile eels bemused digit ivory acidic guru jobs people befit merger lending envy lectures sifting puzzled peeled maze mocked lectures

And now it's updated so's things *should* work the way I was expecting them to work now?  Yes?

Yes.

Unless I'm missing something, this means basically MyMonero web wallet for the near future, unless and until some day (soon?) the official Monero GUI will actually appear (hope hope?)

Quoting myself here from reddit:

1. Buy XMR on Poloniex
2. Run Moo's program on offline secure computer
3. Get safe/clean Monero address from #2 and save/print mnemonic safely!
4. Send Monero out of Polo to address from #3 for long-term cold storage
5. Sit tight knowing my Monero is secure Smiley
6. If needed, enter mnemonic key saved from #3 into MyMonero log-in
7. Coins sent to this address at #4 SHOULD BE THERE???
8. If #7 is true (??) send Monero back to Poloniex or whatever...

So IS this how it'd work now?  Any problem or flaw in above?

This is correct as far as I know. If you want to be superduper safe, you could use this tutorial by GingerAle -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQ5prfNfZQ

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

Thanks, merged, signed, and pushed.

Addresses generated earlier are still totally valid of course, and can be restored with simplewallet.

Hi Guys:

Sorry I was away from this thread for a while (and I missed posting in the "leet page" too... dammit.  Oh well LOL)

Anyway, so, I am to understand that that weirdness I posted *was* an actual bug in the offline address generator? 

And now it's updated so's things *should* work the way I was expecting them to work now?  Yes?

If so, I'll try it ASAP and see, and post back any results (or more weirdness) here.

Summary: What I'm really trying to do here is to be just a normal simple end-user of Monero using the most simple and easy available tools or methods as possible.

Read: that means NOT actually running the "difficult" command line only Monero program  LOL

Basically I want to be a Monero supporter, buy and hodl some now from the exchanges (vs mine it) but I don't want to trust keeping my coins on the exchange. 

So I want to be able to make secure cold storage offline address for sending the coins to from Poloniex, BUT at the same time wanna be reasonably sure I can get the Monero BACK under my control again, to either send 'em back to Polo or otherwise move/spend 'em sometime "soon" if necessary, again using only currently available SIMPLE tools and methods.

Unless I'm missing something, this means basically MyMonero web wallet for the near future, unless and until some day (soon?) the official Monero GUI will actually appear (hope hope?)

SO: long story short, what I was thinking should hopefully work smoothly would be:

1. Buy XMR on Poloniex
2. Run Moo's program on offline secure computer
3. Get safe/clean Monero address from #2 and save/print mnemonic safely!
4. Send Monero out of Polo to address from #3 for long-term cold storage
5. Sit tight knowing my Monero is secure Smiley
6. If needed, enter mnemonic key saved from #3 into MyMonero log-in
7. Coins sent to this address at #4 SHOULD BE THERE???
8. If #7 is true (??) send Monero back to Poloniex or whatever...

So IS this how it'd work now?  Any problem or flaw in above?
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

This may be an obvious question, but you have enough free disk space, right?
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
...do we have any up-to-date community built binaries so I could try out the DB version on my Windows box? I know of the cautionary notes and caveats, just wondering if anyone has published binaries yet.

This is from last week: https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip

Exercise the appropriate level of care with it being a beta. We've recently found and solved what we hope to be the only major, breaking database issue (that could have caused major issues if we'd tagged prematurely), but that means that prior LMDB sync ups have to be resynced from scratch or imported from a fresh blockchain.raw export.

I've been trying this on my Win7 machine. I managed to blockchain_export ok from my blockchain.bin, but trying to blockchain_import resulted in the following errors:

Code:
2015-Aug-24 15:42:59.816949 loading block number 130000

[- batch commit at height 130000 -]
2015-Aug-24 15:44:14.746234 [batch] DB resize needed
2015-Aug-24 15:44:14.892243 LMDB Mapsize increased.  Old: 2808MiB, New: 2936MiB

2015-Aug-24 15:49:23.577898 loading block number 131000

[- batch commit at height 131000 -]

2015-Aug-24 15:59:14.784714 loading block number 132000

[- batch commit at height 132000 -]

block 132830 / 6004422015-Aug-24 16:05:25.428913 ERROR C:/msys64/bitmonero-build
/src/cryptonote_core/blockchain.cpp:2501 Error adding block with hash: 811cd2ef0c8c062e25b0690c1d893414a767de2d133558112da687f0> to blockchain, what =
Error adding spent key image to db transaction: MDB_MAP_FULL: Environment mapsiz
e limit reached
2015-Aug-24 16:05:25.429913 Error attempting to retrieve a block hash from the d
b: MDB_BAD_TXN: Transaction cannot recover - it must be aborted
2015-Aug-24 16:05:25.430913 exception while reading from file, height=132839
2015-Aug-24 16:05:25.430913 Closing IO Service.

C:\Users\Public\Monero>

legendary
Activity: 1260
yeah, the unit tests have killed my builds on recent master.

I think i "fixed" it a week ago by using older head... for instance, checking out a commit circa early august.

so, you'd enter

Code:
git checkout insert-commit-hash-here

replacing that hash with whatever commit you want to try and build.

im currently also testing it using make-release-static 64 (as its been said that the deps are included for this build type).... and it failed.

EDITED TO ADD!

Check your build folder. It seems the primary binaries build fine - i made it to 90% with those errors and then checked the build folder and ./bitmonerod ran like a champ! Well, at least it started to sync with the network.

who needs unit tests?
Activity: 450
I got this error after completed 90% of compiling Monero:

Code:
[ 90%] Building CXX object tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/blockchain_db.cpp.o
In file included from /home/***/bitmonero/tests/unit_tests/blockchain_db.cpp:40:0:
/home/***/bitmonero/src/blockchain_db/berkeleydb/db_bdb.h:28:20: fatal error: db_cxx.h: No such file or directory
 #include
                    ^
compilation terminated.
tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/build.make:100: recipe for target 'tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/blockchain_db.cpp.o' failed
make[3]: *** [tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/blockchain_db.cpp.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/***/bitmonero/build/release'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1880: recipe for target 'tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/all' failed
make[2]: *** [tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/***/bitmonero/build/release'
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/***/bitmonero/build/release'
Makefile:58: recipe for target 'release-all' failed
make: *** [release-all] Error 2

Happened on both my VM and Azure VPS.

Berkeley DB not installed maybe? Try:

sudo apt-get install -y libdb++-dev libdb-dev

Then compile again.
Activity: 300
I got this error after completed 90% of compiling Monero:

Code:
[ 90%] Building CXX object tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/blockchain_db.cpp.o
In file included from /home/***/bitmonero/tests/unit_tests/blockchain_db.cpp:40:0:
/home/***/bitmonero/src/blockchain_db/berkeleydb/db_bdb.h:28:20: fatal error: db_cxx.h: No such file or directory
 #include
                    ^
compilation terminated.
tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/build.make:100: recipe for target 'tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/blockchain_db.cpp.o' failed
make[3]: *** [tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/blockchain_db.cpp.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/***/bitmonero/build/release'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1880: recipe for target 'tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/all' failed
make[2]: *** [tests/unit_tests/CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/***/bitmonero/build/release'
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/***/bitmonero/build/release'
Makefile:58: recipe for target 'release-all' failed
make: *** [release-all] Error 2

Happened on both my VM and Azure VPS.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
What's the word on "in the works" XMR exchanges? All the talk a few months ago was about some new fiat/XMR exchanges coming onto the scene. I believe Rpietila was mentioned as involved in at least one. What's the rumpus? The whole polo kyc/aml thing has tempered down, but the market won't properly grow until the speculative aspect has diversified and expanded. Personally I won't go within 10 blocks of an exchange that wants my firstborn just to trade crypto to crypto. So?

My plans haven't changed. The "company" is accumulating 100,000s of XMR and it takes time. I have told all in advance. When this phase is ready, we go to the next phase and open trading. September is still the timeframe.

You can ask the others how they are doing.

But the most important/interesting thing happening with XMR is still Crypto Kingdom.

A Monero/Fiat exchage will be very welcome if as I strongly suspect Bitcoin becomes difficult or impossible to use due to the fixed blocksize and core vs XT issue. By the way my Bitcoin holdings are now down to less than 0.5% of my portfolio.

Edit: September, just in time for the next Bitcoin stress test.
Jump to: