Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 808. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Privacy of course is a needed feature but not the one achieving the mainstream adoption, and bitcoin was never created to be totally anonymous, it's just a coin with a NSA algorithm inside its core, cmon.  Smiley

thats why I refer to Bitcoin as "panopticoin" now Smiley
Activity: 462
Privacy of course is a needed feature but not the one achieving the mainstream adoption, and bitcoin was never created to be totally anonymous, it's just a coin with a NSA algorithm inside its core, cmon.  Smiley
Activity: 350
I see quite a lot of I2P commits, any word on how far are we from having it working?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
where is the source code for db branch ? I want to try it out on VM.
Found and compiled, didnt know that it is right in official branch. But I'm curious why can't we have new binaries why the new version is already on the git ?

Devs probably want to get all bugs out before tagging and releasing them.

Pretty much that, but more broadly the "official" (master) branch is really an intermediate development branch. Pull requests are made there from developers' own forks after initial testing so it isn't completely new code but not release quality either. If you want the source for the (old!) official version you have to get it with "git checkout v0.8.8.6". I think the plan is to stop doing this at some point, maybe after the next release. Then there will be a separate development branch, and master will stay at a release.
Activity: 768
Merit: 505
Found and compiled, didnt know that it is right in official branch. But I'm curious why can't we have new binaries why the new version is already on the git ?

Thats the reason, once most or all of the child-illnesses are gone there will be release... the new beta for windows is a step forward to that
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Damn I'm on 1337 + 1 page lol
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
Activity: 300
legendary
plan to make confidential transaction was pushed forward on bitcoin. Once bitcoin has that. What are still the benefits of monero / byte / dash ?

I dug up this comment from Fluffypony on reddit particulary for you:

Quote from: Fluffypony
Quote from: random reddit user
anonymity/privacy of this compare to that of ring signatures like those used in cryptonote
It's quite a bit less "anonymous", as it makes no attempt to hide the "metadata". So it hides the transaction amount, but you don't have untraceability (what /u/nullc refers to as "shaping the transaction graph"). The upshot of doing so is that it allows for pruning, which is a good thing. Currently if we had to enable pruning with Monero you'd need to retain the entire txoset (since there is no distinction for utxos, at least not once we've banned mixin 0 transactions) and the entire key image set. Whilst this pruning is quite aggressive, it's nowhere near as aggressive as the pruning available with Bitcoin (and, by extension, with this sidechain). We (nor anyone else) have been unable to come up with a scheme that allows both.

Maybe put differently: this can enhance Bitcoin's privacy, effectively ending the raison d'être for certain altcoins forked from Bitcoin desperately trying to wedge "anonymity" into it, but it cannot magically make Bitcoin fungible. The implementation (as a sidechain) still faces many unique challenges.

That said, I welcome this, and I think anything that can enhance Bitcoin's privacy is advantageous. I'm also a massive fan of the work that andytoshi, gmaxwell, and the Blockstream developers are doing, and I'm sure they will continue to enhance this functionality:)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/394k1t/petertoddbtc_gregory_maxwells_confidental/cs0ngpa?context=3
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
plan to make confidential transaction was pushed forward on bitcoin. Once bitcoin has that. What are still the benefits of monero / byte / dash ?

1. Monero will have default privacy, optional transparency. Bitcoin will have default transparency, optional privacy. The implications are obvious to me.

2. If this were to go mainchain, it would require a hardfork, which is seemingly becoming difficult in that network.

3. specific to monero, there is still the benefits of the adaptive blocksize.

4. specific to monero, the POW is holding strong against silicon advances, thus will be decentralized for the foreseeable future. Bitcoin is dead to me as a decentralized monetary system / payment network. Bitcoin has created something new, yes. But it is not a decentralized ledger system. Right now 4 nodes control 67% of the network. https://blockchain.info/pools?show_adv=no .  Granted, the monero pool distribution is no better at this point, but we are young. https://monerohash.com/#network

4. for monero, the codebase is completely different. Thus, any 0days in bitcoin won't transfer to Monero.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251

the current XT debate shows that it is nearly impossible to change bitcoin in any way.
if a sidechain implements some kind of mixing it has the problem that it needs much usage to be really anon.

so atm i dont see a way that bitcoin will have real fungibility and anonymity.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
I don't believe the dark side is that much on accumulating XMR peacefully, they rather steal and destroy.

Yes, Polo is completely at the mercy of the Equation Group, et al.   Undecided

Please continue doing what you can (ie RPEX  Cheesy) to ameliorate this potential central point of failure.
Activity: 450
my page 1337 post went back to 1336 Shocked manipulation!! Grin

Yes, I've been watching the 1337 posts in this thread and noticed them moving backwards in time (if you can call it that). It just highlights that BitcoinTalk should not be regarded as gospel when it comes to the history of any crypto, since posts are deleted all the time unbenownst to the masses.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Thanks smooth.

I was hoping to get around using Ubuntu because at the moment I have no monitor with an HDMI input, and SSH is not enabled by default on Ubuntu. Guess I'll be ordering an adapter.

I think you can make your own ubuntu distro anyway you want.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

or any google of custom ubuntu distro

so, if your in windows (or mac), get a VM of ubuntu going just the way you want it, and then make an .iso . Burn that onto your rpi disk, then boom. ubuntu with ssh. ( in theory. I have yet to do this. Its on my to-do list)

edited to add this link:

http://customizeubuntu.com/tools/live-cd-tools/tools-build-your-own-ubuntu-distro/

because one of them lets you make an .iso of your entire existing run... so once you get your box all nice and stable, you can just make an .iso of the stable state and then if you ever do something that borks stuff, you could just recover that image. Or get the image working and spawn a bajillion cloud instances. Or ....
Activity: 225
Merit: 100
What's the word on "in the works" XMR exchanges? All the talk a few months ago was about some new fiat/XMR exchanges coming onto the scene. I believe Rpietila was mentioned as involved in at least one. What's the rumpus? The whole polo kyc/aml thing has tempered down, but the market won't properly grow until the speculative aspect has diversified and expanded. Personally I won't go within 10 blocks of an exchange that wants my firstborn just to trade crypto to crypto. So?

My plans haven't changed. The "company" is accumulating 100,000s of XMR and it takes time. I have told all in advance. When this phase is ready, we go to the next phase and open trading. September is still the timeframe.

You can ask the others how they are doing.

But the most important/interesting thing happening with XMR is still Crypto Kingdom.
* Wanderlust feels sick

Stockpiling a CN coin is no good for the anon.

Stockpiling 80% or more could be problematic. Stockpiling <1 million (<11% of current, growing, supply) is no concern at all.

Understood. Greed is problematic. Where does the 'company' draw the line? 25%? Since the company seems seemingly transparent perhaps we can know the future plans?
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
When this topic has 20,000 pages in 2019 I want it to be known that I was here from nearly the beginning on the illustrious "1337" page.   Wink Cheesy  
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Thanks smooth.

I was hoping to get around using Ubuntu because at the moment I have no monitor with an HDMI input, and SSH is not enabled by default on Ubuntu. Guess I'll be ordering an adapter.

I used a TV as a monitor to turn on ssh. It was ugly but it worked.
Jump to: