Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 817. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 450
Merit: 250
I just saw that DogeCoinDark created a web wallet on i2p:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12117370

Can we have MyMonero on i2p too?! I'll even host it. I run i2p on a box 24/7.
Activity: 336
What is your favorite Operating System?

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/631234851962630144

What is your favorite operating system? I wonder what percentage of Monero users prefer some version of Linux. #xmr #security #linux

If we reply and retweet this sort of post maybe we can start attracting linux users who are not yet familiar with monero

I will start using the #privacy #security #fungibility #encryption hashtags more when appropriate. We need to broaden our audience

I also am sending personal messages to people when they favorite or retweet something in hopes they do so again
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Devs, I can wait for the new tagged release.

... but the GNU/Linux nerds who compile their own executables want to keep buying cheap moneroj from those who run Microsoft Windows and use 8 month old tagged executables.  Wink

you ain't buying from this windows executable idiot Grin

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

... but the GNU/Linux nerds who compile their own executables want to keep buying cheap moneroj from those who run Microsoft Windows and use 8 month old tagged executables.  Wink

One should bear in mind that the last pull request before releasing the 0.8.8.6 tagged version was #196, whereas we're currently at #365. Of course their are some open issues (e.g. -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/360) in between causing a pull request to skip a #, but most of it are genuine pull requests.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

... but the GNU/Linux nerds who compile their own executables want to keep buying cheap moneroj from those who run Microsoft Windows and use 8 month old tagged executables.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959

Yes you can build it on Linux or Windows. The memory requirements are quite small.

Importing the seed is essentially identical to copying the keys file. I think the files might be compatible between OSes, but not really sure.

Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes in a few days when this old laptop actually compiles it all hahaha! Wink
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
hey folks. Quick question, I have a few hundred XMR i have in a windows wallet. I can't bring bitmonerod up anymore, it kills my computer, so I need to move it to a linux laptop.

What's the best way to migrate a windows simplewallet.bin file from windows unix? delete the bin, and use the .keys file? I'm sorry, it's been a while, but I can't deal with windows anymore so I want to move it to ubuntu laptop asap. Wink

Thanks for any tips/help! Smiley

How old is the wallet? Does it have a seed?

The new daemon shouldn't kill your pc; you could try that too.

it's old, but it's 0886 on windows, i have the seed, but i'm not really into restoring from that, although I've done it before with no problem doing tests on cold storage.

I don't see any later versions than that, pre-compiled, so that's why I'm going to clone the github and build it. Wink

Yes you can build it on Linux or Windows. The memory requirements are quite small.

Importing the seed is essentially identical to copying the keys file. I think the files might be compatible between OSes, but not really sure.
legendary
hey folks. Quick question, I have a few hundred XMR i have in a windows wallet. I can't bring bitmonerod up anymore, it kills my computer, so I need to move it to a linux laptop.

What's the best way to migrate a windows simplewallet.bin file from windows unix? delete the bin, and use the .keys file? I'm sorry, it's been a while, but I can't deal with windows anymore so I want to move it to ubuntu laptop asap. Wink

it's old, but it's 0886 on windows, i have the seed, but i'm not really into restoring from that, although I've done it before with no problem doing tests on cold storage.

I don't see any later versions than that, pre-compiled, so that's why I'm going to clone the github and build it. Wink
legendary

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1624
Great, now I feel like eating tacos and drinking ginger ale Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1260
Any thoughts, criticisms, or suggestions?  

Your principal vulnerabilities stem from your network interface.  On your live network host:  Disable and in fact remove physically everything that opens a port except for sshd, bitmonerod.  iptables should block all but 2 essential ICMP types, your sshd tcp port, DNS udp, and bitmonerod.  You want rules to prevent fingerprinting as well.  Use a kernel from TAILS.  Physically disable bluetooth and IR.  I recommend against wifi, in favor of copper ethernet.

https://medium.com/message/everything-is-broken-81e5f33a24e1

Great read:

There are a hundred libpurples on your computer: little pieces of software written on a budget with unrealistic deadlines by people who didn’t know or didn’t care about keeping the rest of your system secure.

Fuck budgets.

Fuck deadlines.

OOOOH MIGHTY CORE DEVS, ACCEPT MY OFFERING OF 5 NVIDIA 750 ti's, MAKING THE NETWORK 1.2 kh/s STRONGER. OHHHHHMMMMM.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Solarcoin.org

Your principal vulnerabilities stem from your network interface.  On your live network host:  Disable and in fact remove physically everything that opens a port except for sshd, bitmonerod.  iptables should block all but 2 essential ICMP types, your sshd tcp port, DNS udp, and bitmonerod.  You want rules to prevent fingerprinting as well.  Use a kernel from TAILS.  Physically disable bluetooth and IR.  I recommend against wifi, in favor of copper ethernet.

If you're that paranoid you should opt for fiber optic ethernet. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas

Activity: 379
Erik Voorhees response to my Tweet:

https://twitter.com/ErikVoorhees/status/630747435459948544

@XMRpromotions @ShapeShift_io Thanks for the kind words Smiley I'm no expert on Monero, but I respect any coin that enhances financial privacy

Good to hear! Smiley
Activity: 336
Erik Voorhees response to my Tweet:

https://twitter.com/ErikVoorhees/status/630747435459948544

@XMRpromotions @ShapeShift_io Thanks for the kind words Smiley I'm no expert on Monero, but I respect any coin that enhances financial privacy
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Disadvantages:
1. Change is bad?

As you found in the paper, there are some questions what tricks exist that could be exploited.

Edit2: it looks like it may be worse for GPUs by a bit, so anyone with money invested in GPUs for mining Monero would likely be opposed.

If that were the concern, a pretty easy solution is to schedule the change say 2-3 years in advance. Any current equipment would likely be obsolete, worn out, and/or otherwise close to the end of its useful life, and anyone thinking about buying new equipment would consider the upcoming switch over. Assuming the change weren't being made for some "emergency" reason, that should be fine.

The search for the "perfect" POW continues?

Indeed
legendary
As far as modifying PoW that is not on any active agenda. We've always open to the possibility and we've looked at cuckoo cycle and some other things but there aren't any current plans to change it.

That cuckoo cycle is interesting reading but from what I can tell it doesn't actually change the cryptography or am I having a comprehension failure? When I read the other thread I'll probably get the answer to that question. Smiley

Well it's "just" a POW, so has nothing to do with EdDSA, etc. It would replace Cryptonight.

Advantages:
1. Easy to verify
2. Huh
3. Cool name

Disadvantages:
1. Change is bad?

Change is inevitable. This hurts my brain. Smiley
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dga/crypto/cuckoo/analysis.pdf

The one thing this coin can never do is lose it's anonymity so being prepared and as future proof as possible should certainly be a focus.

Hmm, I hadn't seen that paper. I didn't read it fully, but it looks like he "broke" it to an extent at least.

The search for the "perfect" POW continues? Tongue
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
As far as modifying PoW that is not on any active agenda. We've always open to the possibility and we've looked at cuckoo cycle and some other things but there aren't any current plans to change it.

That cuckoo cycle is interesting reading but from what I can tell it doesn't actually change the cryptography or am I having a comprehension failure? When I read the other thread I'll probably get the answer to that question. Smiley

Well it's "just" a POW, so has nothing to do with EdDSA, etc. It would replace Cryptonight.

Advantages:
1. Easy to verify
2. Huh
3. Cool name

Disadvantages:
1. Change is bad?

Change is inevitable. This hurts my brain. Smiley
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dga/crypto/cuckoo/analysis.pdf

The one thing this coin can never do is lose it's anonymity so being prepared and as future proof as possible should certainly be a focus.
legendary

Advantages:
1. Easy to verify
2. Huh
3. Cool name

Disadvantages:
1. Change is bad?

Edit: I *do* like the idea of a quicker to verify POW (while maintaining the other properties of Cryptonight [at least as I understand it in my very limited study]). Perhaps it could be added along with a change to 2 (or 4) minute block targets, which I'm personally in favor of.

Edit2: it looks like it may be worse for GPUs by a bit, so anyone with money invested in GPUs for mining Monero would likely be opposed.
Jump to: