Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 815. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 450
Merit: 250
I've just noticed there is no Linux AMD miner, or am I wrong?  Undecided

you are wrong, according to this;

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/claymores-cryptonote-amd-gpu-miner-v113-638915

but I don't have an AMD GPU.

OK, ta. For some reason I'd thought Claymore's miner was Windows only
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
Thanks for the kind words Smiley

To answer a few points that were made above:

I committed to a low enough number of hours that I felt comfortable with. It's difficult to be confident I won't burn out in two years, for instance (the original request was looking for a full time coder for two years). When that committed time has been spent working on monero, I will know whether I can commit to more. Pretty likely, but I want to be conservative here.

I was surprised to see none of the current core team people step up on that offer. However, someone (can't recall who) had mentioned maybe nobody wanted to be the guinea pig for this. Maybe one of more of them will in the future. Since there's no infinite supply of monero, they'd take precedence if they wanted to have a go at it.

While predicting the future is difficult at best, I expect that when those committed hours are spent, I will continue hacking on monero in my spare time anyway, just not as much.

I had a large chunk of free time recently, and I could devote a large part of the last few days to Monero. I'd originally picked a guideline of 10 hours a week on average as something I felt was doable, but it looks like I'll be done before the six months guideline.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

you are wrong, according to this;

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/claymores-cryptonote-amd-gpu-miner-v113-638915

but I don't have an AMD GPU.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
So if moneromoo continues to kick ass , will the funds in excess of the target for his proposal go to him as a bonus? I've got a little stream of income I'd like to give a percent of as bonus to active dev work for sure.  I'd also like to buy a pizza or a lapdance or whatever he is into for NoodleDoodleNoodleDoodleNoodleDoodle for those ridiculous commits. I'm wondering if there is anyone else floating around the code that could work out in a similar fashion to moneromoo, which has been such a interesting success. On the one hand I want to blow up a big bonus for him.. but it would also be powerful to build up an active paid team, each of their work (in theory) having a multiplier effect on eachothers' payments. But then you also don't want division between paid dev and unpaid dev... (foggy confusion)...

I am not sure if they will go to him as a bonus, on the other hand I don't know where they would go else. However, I think once his contract ends he might pitch for an extention, so you could also save it for that cause. Regarding the bolded part, I would love to see that too and I hope that in the future more devs will pitch a proposal. Also, I think there won't be a real division, if a dev wants to be paid he can just pitch himself for funding, even if it's only a few hours per week. Keep in mind that there are also devs/contributers for whom this is just a hobby and they'll code voluntarily if they have time to do so.  
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
isn't the primary issue the absolute number of people one is mixing with in a transaction (e.g., 50), rather than the total number of users of a privacy protocol or privacy coin?

Kind of yes but mostly no, notwithstanding narrow cases of pretty much yes although perhaps no.  On balance, sort of no with occasional flairs of yes highlights.  It's complicated, except when it isn't.  In the broad sense, both numbers are ideally maximized.   Tongue

Uh, thanks for clearing that up  Cheesy

The interrelation of the two aforementioned variable quantities is mostly, IE nearly entirely, contextual, being highly dependent upon both generalized UXTO availability and contingent mixin factors.

IOW, supervenience dictates minimizing the former for sake of economy is a safe bet given (and only given) sufficient numeracy in the latter.

I love the clarity!

Welcome to Monero Mountain, the most scrupulously inclusive crypto-coin community ever.  Be sure to pick up your t-shirt, coffee mug, and bumper sticker at the gift shop!
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
isn't the primary issue the absolute number of people one is mixing with in a transaction (e.g., 50), rather than the total number of users of a privacy protocol or privacy coin?

Kind of yes but mostly no, notwithstanding narrow cases of pretty much yes although perhaps no.  On balance, sort of no with occasional flairs of yes highlights.  It's complicated, except when it isn't.  In the broad sense, both numbers are ideally maximized.   Tongue

The interrelation of the two aforementioned variable quantities is mostly, IE nearly entirely, contextual, being highly dependent upon both generalized UXTO availability and contingent mixin factors.

IOW, supervenience dictates minimizing the former for sake of economy is a safe bet given (and only given) sufficient numeracy in the latter.

I love the clarity!
legendary

Activity: 870
Merit: 585

legendary

Activity: 478
So if moneromoo continues to kick ass , will the funds in excess of the target for his proposal go to him as a bonus? I've got a little stream of income I'd like to give a percent of as bonus to active dev work for sure.  I'd also like to buy a pizza or a lapdance or whatever he is into for NoodleDoodleNoodleDoodleNoodleDoodle for those ridiculous commits. I'm wondering if there is anyone else floating around the code that could work out in a similar fashion to moneromoo, which has been such a interesting success. On the one hand I want to blow up a big bonus for him.. but it would also be powerful to build up an active paid team, each of their work (in theory) having a multiplier effect on eachothers' payments. But then you also don't want division between paid dev and unpaid dev... (foggy confusion)...
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Quick overview of recent changes to master since last time:

Payment IDs can now be encrypted. Those are now 64 bit on the blockchain. Integrated addresses are changed to use these (so integrated addresses generated before that change are now invalid, in case someone tried those from git). Full size plaintext payment IDs are still possible.

Input selection now uses the triangular distribution (prefering newer outpts). Previously this was only used for the old blockchain format.

A couple fixes to possible behavioral differences between old blockchain and new blockchain, which could have caused an inadvertent fork on corner cases.

A new rescan_spent simplewallet command, which queries the daemon for the wallet's outputs spent status. This is intended to fix the need to rescan the blockchain when a tx does not go through after being accepted by the daemon. Note that this command leaks info about which outputs you own to the daemon, so it is not to be used if you connect to a third party daemon.

And the usual set of random smaller fixes and tweaks.

Hey it's probably getting pretty close to time for MoneroMooo to get his first paycheck right? Thanks for your hard work.

First paycheck has been delivered!

https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/334/fund-a-developer-moneromoo-will-work-part-time-on-monero-for-260-hours-over-approx-6-months

Yesterday 4 pull requests from monermooo were merged.  Today 3 PRs merged, one of which was from moneromoo. Smiley

I would love it if we could clone moneromoo but being that is difficult to do maybe more paid devs are possible if this is indeed the way things should go.  I understand that moneromoo is/was very generous, Thank You Smiley
Activity: 478
Quick overview of recent changes to master since last time:

Payment IDs can now be encrypted. Those are now 64 bit on the blockchain. Integrated addresses are changed to use these (so integrated addresses generated before that change are now invalid, in case someone tried those from git). Full size plaintext payment IDs are still possible.

Input selection now uses the triangular distribution (prefering newer outpts). Previously this was only used for the old blockchain format.

A couple fixes to possible behavioral differences between old blockchain and new blockchain, which could have caused an inadvertent fork on corner cases.

A new rescan_spent simplewallet command, which queries the daemon for the wallet's outputs spent status. This is intended to fix the need to rescan the blockchain when a tx does not go through after being accepted by the daemon. Note that this command leaks info about which outputs you own to the daemon, so it is not to be used if you connect to a third party daemon.

And the usual set of random smaller fixes and tweaks.

Hey it's probably getting pretty close to time for MoneroMooo to get his first paycheck right? Thanks for your hard work.
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
I cloned and compiled the latest code from github and sync'd the daemon overnight on a new VM.  I ended up with an 11G data.mdb file.

My data.mdb is 13GB (on OS X).
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
I cloned and compiled the latest code from github and sync'd the daemon overnight on a new VM.  I ended up with an 11G data.mdb file.

My old VM's data.mdb was 7.1G, but it was running a version from ~Feb2015 or so.  So was there a code commit that increased the database size considerably?  Or maybe something went wrong with my daemon and it generated a file that's way too large?

If that's the "new normal", is there any work going into compressing the data?  Perhaps with a flag or a conversion tool?  I know many people may not want the overhead of compressing and decompressing.  But I was just wondering if that's something we can look forward to? 
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Waiting for dump

No such thing as a dump with this coin, sell offs sure but that's it. Where is that link for the last moron that sold off at .0015 LOL

At your service -> https://vid.me/ima7
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Waiting for dump

No such thing as a dump with this coin, sell offs sure but that's it. Where is that link for the last moron that sold off at .0015 LOL
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

Now computationally in practice I do think it would be harder to crack a Monero brain wallet, should such a thing exist, than it is to crack Bitcoin brain wallets, but they're still a bad idea.

I'd guess between 5 and 8 OOM, depending on how much you can increase efficiency.

It would be a certain waste of time scanning any CN (or stealth address) coin for brainwallets. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to start using one though.

If you designed your own derivation method, then you'd probably be safe, but it's rather dubious (to me) that remembering/storing that method PLUS remembering your passphrase would be preferable to just storing the seeds we have now. But hey, if you want to "grow your own", no one can stop you.
Has anyone had any luck with Ipredia?

http://www.ipredia.org/

if you use ipredia and run a node on it.... do you essentially achieve the same goal as when i2p is integrated into Monero?

It looks promising. Similar to tails right?

Has anyone gotten Monero to work in Tails? I keep seeing conflicting reports.

I haven't given it a shot due to the lack of persistence by design... don't know how I'd get a *useful* blockchain there. I guess theoretically you'd just use mymonero?

Couldn't you just starting syncing? Or are these systems designed to be completely non-persistent, meaning you would have to sync every time. That would not work.

NM, ima dumbass. tails does have an encrypted persistence option. https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/configure/index.en.html

i goto sleep now.

Encrypted persistence, yes, and it can save WiFi password, Electrum wallet details, Firefox favorites, etc in this persistent drive if you wish. However it doesn't save your i2p config and i2pSnark torrents.

This handy guide shows you how to do that though Wink

https://www.reddit.com/r/sohhlz/wiki/index/i2p-persistent
Jump to: