Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 820. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
@markm You do not need to specify your own IP address. I have no idea why those instructions are telling you do to that.

It's in antast's blog under "Set up supervisor to make bitmonerod start during system boot" -> https://antanst.com/blog/2015/05/22/how-to-set-up-a-monero-node-in-ubuntu-14.04/

You should enter your real IP address in the second line, and also replace the "1024" limit values, depending on your available bandwidth. These values correspond to kB/s, so the above example specifies a one megabyte per second bandwidth limit.

But as you can see the blog is from may, so it's a bit outdated I think.

@MarkM, perhaps try the more simplified instructions GingerAle posted? https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12033096

I've never heart of this before either.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
@markm You do not need to specify your own IP address. I have no idea why those instructions are telling you do to that.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
I came across https://antanst.com/blog/2015/05/22/how-to-set-up-a-monero-node-in-ubuntu-14.04/ and noticed it wants me to tell it my IP address, it looks like maybe that could be because it has I2P included in it and I2P needs it?

But back before I started using no-ip.org for dynamic DNS I used to run I2P precisely because it did NOT need to know my IP address, it gave me a way of reaching my machine without it or me having to know its IP address as long as I could use I2P to reach out to it.

So what is the deal with Monero needing a hard-coded IP address in its invocation?

Does this mean only people with static IP can run it?

I really prefer to run things that involve private keys at home, not out on the net on some third party hardware that happens to have a static IP address...

Days ago I figured I should set up a Monero node to check it out, but this has been a stumbling block as I want to run it at home not on someone else's machine in a datacentre.

-MarkM-
legendary
Quite relevant, so worth a crosspost:

Whether Monero exists as a test bed for features that will be assimilated into bitcoin, or Monero will simply live as a parallel, opaque option to the transparent bitcoin chain, or perhaps just take over and leave bitcoin in the dust. All this will play out.

One of my favorite things about Monero is how it can exist as both opaque and transparent.  If I wish for an account to be transparent, I can simply expose my viewkey.

The view key is well known, but it can be a blunt instrument, since it reveals all payments for the entire lifetime of an account (including past and future). It is less known that you can disclose individual payments on a case by case basis, as needed:

In case Alice wants to prove she sent a transaction to Bob’s address she can either disclose r or use any kind of zero-knowledge protocol to prove she knows r (for example by signing the transaction with r)

legendary
There's been some discussion on this somewhere in the past, I thought it became a "tacoshi" in reference to the dev tacotime.

edit: found this https://moneroeconomy.com/news/submultiples-monero

Some additional info here -> https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/196/editorial-submultiples-of-monero

@drawingthesun: Also, Jesse Powell (CEO Kraken) seems to be very fond of Ethereum -> https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/3g4bzf/kraken_started_trading_already/ctuqytt
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Just wondering why https://www.kraken.com/charts already has Ethereum but has not even considered Monero?

Because Ethereum is a very high profile project as reflected in its first day market cap of 160 million USD as opposed XMR at <10 million.

Eth is gonna dump so badly once this little bit fo hypes over and all the coins start moving around. Can't wait to short it.

Kinda of like how being able to short XMR on the back of the mintpal pump would have been heavenly.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504

EDIT: Why not call the smallest Monero denomination... a Nero.

It's too simple.  Let's fuck that up a bit. 

How about we call the smallest unit a "ro". 

Then 1,000,000 "ro" is a "nero". 

Then 1,000,000 "nero" is a "monero". 

That way we can break things down into millionths at least.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250

EDIT: Why not call the smallest Monero denomination... a Nero.

its.... perfect!

Bitcoin - The main one.
Monero - Anonymous and private cryptocurrency.
Ethereum - experimental computational contracts coin.

Is there an actual market for computacional contracts? Before Monero I was only on Bitcoin because it could work as that as well, I have no problems with a multi-crypto world, I just like Monero key features and simplicity better and how it accomplishes the electronic cash role beautifully like nothing before, even the name is perfect. I'll not be owning Ethereum btw, even knowing the hype could create a bubble... no thanks.
Other than bit coin I'd say monero will be crowned as the best alt soon.   I have been quietly hoarding and mining for a while now.

There is an outside chance we may not be an "alt" coin at all. 

Bitcoin will do well at #2 marketcap of 6 trillion USD equivalent.   Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001
Other than bit coin I'd say monero will be crowned as the best alt soon.   I have been quietly hoarding and mining for a while now.

legendary
Stellar - i can't figure out what this is.

It is a clone of Ripple that, as far as I can tell, only exists because the inventor of Ripple didn't get along with the management, so he went off and did another one.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about exchanges here....

Just wondering why https://www.kraken.com/charts already has Ethereum but has not even considered Monero?

My vote is that its more of a technical hurdle to implement cryptonote / Monero. I'm assuming Ethereum is bitcoin-based.  I remember reading something about it somewhere, and it sounded like scope bloat / creep to me. But who knows. In 10 years someone could find this post and go "wow that idiot had no imagination"

I have this feeling that whilst experiments like Ethereum are being taken seriously the cryptocoin community are ignoring Monero, which is a total shame because Monero has a very real differentiator.

Bitcoin - The main one.

I see no reason why these three coins can't all exist in places 1,2 and 3.

Ethereum will soon get there, but what about Monero? Why are coins like Ripple, Litecoin, Banxshares, Stellar and Bytecoin being valued so much more than Monero?

Ripple - not a currency. Some centralized payment network.

Litecoin - secondary cryptocurrency market to bitcoin. I see the value in a faster secondary market. 2 blockchains better than one. Redundancy. Different POW, different distribution, etc.

Banxshares - i have no idea what this is.

Stellar - i can't figure out what this is.

bytecoin - scam.

I still can't believe that Bytecoin is worth so much, I honestly thought that it was going to die last year. Sad

Well, when you own the main website that people refer to for a particular coin's worth (coinmarketcap), then its pretty easy to keep your coin in the lime lite.

That is 100% fake manipulated trading IMO.

I just created a coin called smoothcoin with a premined coin supply (or maybe it was mined for two  years in the darknet, who can say?) of one billion coins. My friend GingerAle bought one of them for 1 USD (nice guy huh?). Instant 1 billion USD market cap.

smoothcoin?  Forget Monero!  I'll take 5 for $15!  The marketcap just tripled!  $3 billion and about to overtake bitcoin itself!
legendary

It's fine as long as it doesn't take over the thread.

Because Ethereum is a very high profile project as reflected in its first day market cap of 160 million USD as opposed XMR at <10 million.

I still can't believe that Bytecoin is worth so much, I honestly thought that it was going to die last year. Sad

That is 100% fake manipulated trading IMO.

I just created a coin called smoothcoin with a premined coin supply (or maybe it was mined for two years in the darknet, who can say?) of one billion coins. My friend GingerAle bought one of them for 1 USD (nice guy huh?). Instant 1 billion USD market cap.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

I have this feeling that whilst experiments like Ethereum are being taken seriously the cryptocoin community are ignoring Monero, which is a total shame because Monero has a very real differentiator.

Bitcoin - The main one.

I see no reason why these three coins can't all exist in places 1,2 and 3.

Ethereum will soon get there, but what about Monero? Why are coins like Ripple, Litecoin, Banxshares, Stellar and Bytecoin being valued so much more than Monero?

legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
Plan B?  

Well, Plan B is to piss off the bitcoiners, the computer scientists, the Bytecoiners, and pretty much everyone at once while making Monero easy to understand for the average person.  

People are familiar with hard-drives, right?  

Oh fuck, you guys are going to love this one.  

Well let's just call 1 trillionth of a Monero (the smallest possible unit) a "byte".  Then we can call a million of them a megabyte, a billion a gigabyte, and a trillion a Monero.  

Plan C?  

Same as plan B except we keep "gen" as the smallest units and use hard drive prefixes all the way up to 1 Monero.  

"gen" = 1/1,000,000,000,000th of a Monero  
"kilogen" = 1/1,000,000,000th of a Monero  
"megagen" = 1,000,000th of a Monero  
"gigagen" = 1,000th of a Monero  
"teragen" = "Monero"  

Grin Grin Grin  

I expect these plans to be wildly popular and meet with wild support, and no opposition whatsoever.   Cheesy Cheesy Cool

LOL... I certainly didn't expect this but it's funny and cool at the same time. Wink
Plan B?  

Well, Plan B is to piss off the bitcoiners, the computer scientists, the Bytecoiners, and pretty much everyone at once while making Monero easy to understand for the average person.  

People are familiar with hard-drives, right?  

Oh fuck, you guys are going to love this one.  

Well let's just call 1 trillionth of a Monero (the smallest possible unit) a "byte".  Then we can call a million of them a megabyte, a billion a gigabyte, and a trillion a Monero.  

Plan C?  

Same as plan B except we keep "gen" as the smallest units and use hard drive prefixes all the way up to 1 Monero.  

"gen" = 1/1,000,000,000,000th of a Monero  
"kilogen" = 1/1,000,000,000th of a Monero  
"megagen" = 1,000,000th of a Monero  
"gigagen" = 1,000th of a Monero  
"teragen" = "Monero"  

Grin Grin Grin  

I expect these plans to be wildly popular and meet with wild support, and no opposition whatsoever.   Cheesy Cheesy Cool
There's been some discussion on this somewhere in the past, I thought it became a "tacoshi" in reference to the dev tacotime.

With all due respect to the devs, I think the most appropriate thing is to refer back to the author of the cryptonote whitepaper, Nicolas van Saberhagen.  (as much we all want a unit named after us; hell, who doesn't want to own a "pega" of Monero  Wink Cheesy )  

We named the smallest possible current unit for bitcoin a "satoshi".  It only makes sense to name the smallest possible sub-unit of Monero something like a "saber", or a "hagen", or even "gen".  

In fact, "gen" is actually pretty catchy as the smallest possible unit.  

So if there are 12 digits of sub-units that means that every Monero is made up of 1 trillion "gen".  

Now let's say that 10,000 "gen" is a "hagen".  

And 10,000 "hagen" is a "saberhagen" (perhaps called a 'saber' for short)  

Then 10,000 "saber" equals one Monero.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  

It works out nicely, no?  

edit:  It works out even better when you think of it this way:  

1 gen is the smallest unit, and is also 0.01% of a hagen.  

1 hagen is 0.01% of a saber.  

1 saber is 0.01% of a Monero.  

Usually humans can visualize 1% of something pretty easily.  And with a little imagination they can rationally understand tenths and hundreds of a percent, but this is where human comprehension breaks down.  This system introduces a new term for every major magnitude change. 

Of course, the bitoiners had this great system worked out with microbits and millibits and along came "mass marketing" and declared a millionth of bitcoin to be a "bit"

So we may decide this and then in a few years some idiot yells, "hey u guise, wats one millionth of a Monero?  A mon?" and we're like, "No, that's sounds retarded." but then everyone else is like, "No that's awesome!  YAY!" and consensus wins.

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
@AP

Monero currently has 12 decimal places as opposed to 8 for Bitcoin.  As I understand it bitcoin can change this aspect relatively easily.  Currently the 12 decimal places aren't meaningful and exchanges use 8.  There is some basic math differences between 8 and 12 places but I don't remember the significance as it went in one neuron and out the other.

If you are asking about the naming convention, it has been discussed a bit but I don't believe there is a consensus.
Jump to: