Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 813. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!
hi,
i'm searching for a trusted andoid monero wallet, any tips?
Thanks
Activity: 768
Merit: 505
Help please:

I would like to run a full Monero node under Windows 7. Unfortunately, I only have 8gb of memory available. Is there any build for Windows 7 that actually uses the new and memory friendly database? I really would love to run that node.

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero if you follow the readme at the bottom you should be able to compile it for yourself... atleast i did it for Win 7. And if any errors occur just join #monero-dev and i think they will be willing to help you out.
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
Help please:

I would like to run a full Monero node under Windows 7. Unfortunately, I only have 8gb of memory available. Is there any build for Windows 7 that actually uses the new and memory friendly database? I really would love to run that node.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
I thought money was a ledger.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Thank you guys for proof that Monero development process is fairly hot, but just not enlighted in pop manner Smiley

Indeed, how do you think guys, is Ethereum somewhat a competitor to Monero? Or is Ethereum much more a competitor to Bitcoin?

Does ethereum provide a means for private, untraceable, unlinkable transactions?
Does ethereum have a hardcoded mechanism for blocksize scalability?
Is ethereum even meant to be a currency?

I admit, I haven't researched ethereum that much, mainly because I believe I've already found the next generation cryptocurrency. From what I recall (I read about it late 2014), however, ethereum is really geared towards functioning as a smart contracts platform, and not necessarily as a currency / money system. Granted, cryptocurrencies can be built within ethereum, but they will be (presumably) limited by the architecture of the ethereum platform. Indeed, the ether "currency" is meant to function as fuel for the ethereum smart contracts, so there is some cost associated with using the platform, both to incentivize supporting the network and protecting against flood attacks. And I have yet to confirm, but I read somewhere that ethereum emission is infinite, so value storage may not be the goal of the platform.

Thus, my conclusion is that ethereum is more a "competitor" to bitcoin regarding bitcoin's non-money functionality. Which, frankly, I'm happy to see. Complex systems generally function better (and are more robust) when each of their components is autonomous and communicate with each other over common space, as opposed to complex systems where everything is... (gasp)... centralized. For instance, if the entirety of the new era's digital economy was to exist on the bitcoin blockchain, it would bloat the system and be generally unnecessary and potentially increase fragility. People would find it frustrating that their transactions take X longer because some entity is processing a bunch of contracts through the platform, for instance... and who wants to store a 100 gig blockchain, under the guise of securing their finances, when half of the blockchain are these contracts that have nothing to do with money?

I kind of view the emerging infrastructure as virtual entities. While they are decentralized, they are still "things". There exists the bitcoin network, and it is powerful and it functions as a very effective and secure money system / payments platform / public ledger. There exists the Monero network and it functions as a private payments platform / monetary system. And now there will be the ethereum network, and it will do its thing.

This "one platform over everything!" mentality is weird to me, considering the interoperability (is that a word?) of the extant internet infrastructure. All the bits and pieces of what we know as the internet work with each other and use each other. Granted, it might not be ideal, but, for one, its pragmatic. And secondly, its the way things have always been, with the internet and with nature. I'm pretty certain that some web service of the future will access decentralized platform A for this, decentralized platform B for that, and decentralized platform C for the other, and the end user will have no idea this is going on, much like the end user has no idea what the hell the http thing in the front of their URL means.

( Of course, the grain of salt is I'm just talking out my ass, and indeed one could venture down the philosophical nature of money... is money just a contract? )
Activity: 243
Merit: 125
Thank you guys for proof that Monero development process is fairly hot, but just not enlighted in pop manner Smiley

Indeed, how do you think guys, is Ethereum somewhat a competitor to Monero? Or is Ethereum much more a competitor to Bitcoin?
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
If you believe in decentralization, please move some trading volume to @cryptsy this week. It will help liquidity and attract new users #xmr

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/633518825036603392

Please retweet.

Decentralization matters. So does demonstrating to exchanges like bitfinex and btc38 that new exchanges that add us are able to attract volume.

Still can't believe it! but re-activated my Cryptsy account after >1y ;-)
Activity: 336
If you believe in decentralization, please move some trading volume to @cryptsy this week. It will help liquidity and attract new users #xmr

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/633518825036603392

Please retweet.

Decentralization matters. So does demonstrating to exchanges like bitfinex and btc38 that new exchanges that add us are able to attract volume.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

I think we should also be nice to BBR and AEON and ask Cryptsy list them too

I think this post is important. From Twitter we know that BCN is already asking for a listing. Lets push for BBR and AEON now to be added in addition to our favorite coins Monero!

I really don't see this as important or even a good idea. Let those coin communities deal with their own thing.

I agree with this.  But to each their own.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Activity: 462
Any word on the sexy GUI that devs teased pictures of a couple months ago? I know they said it was a ways out but I just wanted to see if any updates had taken place in terms of an Official GUI.
Activity: 336
Added to Cryptsy!

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/633446228945076224

I think we should also be nice to BBR and AEON and ask Cryptsy list them too

1. They both have community overlap with XMR
2. BBR has been nice to us (Reddit altcoin AMA, sharing Cryptsy news
3. AEON is run by one of our great XMR devs Smooth
4. Of all the other CryptoNote besides XMR coins BBR and AEON have been the most transparent and fair in terms of launch, emission schedule etc.
5. Neither BBR and AEON are pure clones. They both have and/or are developing unique features some of which could be of interest to Monero
6. Poloniex (compared to Bittrex) has taught us that people like to trade CryptoNote coins where most of them are listed. If Cryptsy is going to add more they may as well start with BBR and AEON instead of certain premined/fastmined alternatives.

If you agree retweet this:

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/633447417879265280

I think this post is important. From Twitter we know that BCN is already asking for a listing. Lets push for BBR and AEON now to be added in addition to our favorite coins Monero!

Lulz.... dont trust  your coins to that exchange they are terrible... but congrats on the add
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Hi friends!

Can somebody say whether there is progress in Monero development last few months or no?

I've visited poloniex today, Etherium is raising in volume... The life is boiling... And here?

There has been phenomenal progress including the database, but this has not been tagged yet. The latest "official" binaries are from 8 months ago and require around 7 GB of RAM to run while the latest code compiled from https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero requires around 50 MB. In order to see this progress one must compile from source.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
https://medium.com/@iandemartino/more-on-cointelegraph-by-a-former-writer-b4e1058b37ca

Media has an essential function inside any niche. Every community has its power structure and as soon as that niche grows enough to support us, the media has an obligation to repay that support by illuminating the truth, not further clouding it.

CoinTelegraph’s secrecy, which extends beyond its readers and onto its stable of writers, creates an atmosphere that discourages any illumination of the truth. You can’t justly call on the powerful to come out of the shadows if you stand in them yourself.

While some have cast doubt on my assertion, I have no doubt that CoinTelegraph was funded by Bytecoin from at least when I started and continues to get funding from the stable of CryptoNote coins, among other clients.

My suspicion is that someone close to the Bytecoin team, perhaps the Bytecoin team itself, owns CoinTelegraph. But it could be as CryptoCoinNews P. H. Madore proposed, that they are simply funded by MinerGate, which they certainly have connections to...

Relevance to Monero:

When they still trusted me, they trusted me a lot, and send me instructions such as this one, telling me exactly what kind of information needed to be included in Bytecoin articles

Here is a screen shot of an anchor file they sent me, in .xml format. They were never that specific for any other clients.

It hardly ended there and they made it very clear to me that while they favored all of the CryptoNote Coins outside of Monero, Bytecoin was their clear favorite and was pumped from nearly the beginning

But none of this is news to any of us here of course.
Does XMR have a mobile wallet yet? Havent been able to follow much in the crypto world..buys with work of late... but im still XMR/SDC strong.. thanks for the answer in advance... Sabr.io i think is a great selling point for us Privacy alts

Only web-based wallets which do not by design send the private keys (or in the case of monerowallet unencrypted private keys) to the server.

monerowallet.com (third party, with assistance from fluffypony)
mymonero.com (from fluffypony, core team member)

I think monerowallet.com may have a packaged app, but it is still relying on a server back end, similar to a web wallet.

These do have a privacy reduction aspect and various incremental security risks compared to a standalone wallet on a computer.

In addition: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ionicframework.monerowallet116498

Can someone confirm that this wallet is legit and safe for mobile use ^^^
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
https://medium.com/@iandemartino/more-on-cointelegraph-by-a-former-writer-b4e1058b37ca

Media has an essential function inside any niche. Every community has its power structure and as soon as that niche grows enough to support us, the media has an obligation to repay that support by illuminating the truth, not further clouding it.

CoinTelegraph’s secrecy, which extends beyond its readers and onto its stable of writers, creates an atmosphere that discourages any illumination of the truth. You can’t justly call on the powerful to come out of the shadows if you stand in them yourself.

While some have cast doubt on my assertion, I have no doubt that CoinTelegraph was funded by Bytecoin from at least when I started and continues to get funding from the stable of CryptoNote coins, among other clients.

My suspicion is that someone close to the Bytecoin team, perhaps the Bytecoin team itself, owns CoinTelegraph. But it could be as CryptoCoinNews P. H. Madore proposed, that they are simply funded by MinerGate, which they certainly have connections to...
Activity: 453
hello world
yes a lot of developements!

synced testnet too with the fresh install, just smooth. now i run testnet and normal on one macbook. will let it run until it crashes (or it doesn't). but last version i tryed on mac had some problems after a few days, so lets see.

see a lot of commits. if you do a freeze in advance it will sure need some more time i guess. take your time

still, please bring a new release soon Kiss
Jump to: