Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 818. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

edited to add: oh, you mean the cryptography thats harder to crack by quantum computers. Yeah, if the "new difficulty algorithm" means new POW function, then yeah - these random polynomials would be interesting.  If the new diff means just changing how the difficulty is adjusted....

edited to add: you might enjoy posting stuff in the monero improvement technical discussion thread I started.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-improvement-technical-discussion-1139756

I heavily moderate that thread, so stuff doesn't get lost in the "talk" portion of bitcointalk.

Nice thread, I didn't even know it existed! Looks like I have alot of reading to catch up on.

As far as modifying PoW that is not on any active agenda. We've always open to the possibility and we've looked at cuckoo cycle and some other things but there aren't any current plans to change it.

That cuckoo cycle is interesting reading but from what I can tell it doesn't actually change the cryptography or am I having a comprehension failure? When I read the other thread I'll probably get the answer to that question. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I can't find the post you're referencing, and I just searched your recent posts. New diff algorithm - I *think* they mean the algorithm for modifying the difficulty, not the proof of work function.

Yes that's what was meant. I think its on the development/research goals document.

As far as modifying PoW that is not on any active agenda. We've always open to the possibility and we've looked at cuckoo cycle and some other things but there aren't any current plans to change it.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Good point.

Being a programmer I have thought about what use cases in the real world Ethereum would be good for...

I haven't really came up with anything yet as I do find the platform far too limiting. I figure I just wasn't smart enough! Apparently the founder of Ethereum is meant to be a genius so there may be real world use cases that I just can't think of?

I spent some time looking into this and got afa the current project list and found deception as well as no tangible prototypes. The bulk of all the Projects were nothing more than IPO schemes. If any of these projects actually produces something functional and the deception in the list of partners is not removed or substantiated then this coin is dead to me.

Also considering under the Monero currently being researched heading there is "New Difficulty Algorithm" I would have thought my last post would be contributory. But considering the lack of responses to links I drop in this thread I don't think anyone even clicks them. Just an FYI alot of times I don't use the keyboard and just use pointing device to communicate. Makes my life easier.

I can't find the post you're referencing, and I just searched your recent posts. New diff algorithm - I *think* they mean the algorithm for modifying the difficulty, not the proof of work function.

and people click man, I click. I just don't have much to say or I get distracted.

edited to add: oh, you mean the cryptography thats harder to crack by quantum computers. Yeah, if the "new difficulty algorithm" means new POW function, then yeah - these random polynomials would be interesting.  If the new diff means just changing how the difficulty is adjusted....

edited to add: you might enjoy posting stuff in the monero improvement technical discussion thread I started.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-improvement-technical-discussion-1139756

I heavily moderate that thread, so stuff doesn't get lost in the "talk" portion of bitcointalk.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
स्मृति सहायक 642342108

conde tyd mense spin garen biblioteke onderkant waarheid kan liefde koop nie
[random dudes]

Please go kick off Cicada 2015 somewhere else.  k thx
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Even the Amish love Monero!! Grin

[Brilliance]

These are very amusing.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy 

We need a nude girl with a bitcoin tattoo trying to cover herself while a woman in a Monero bikini/clothes gives her a superior look.

It's an ooooold joke...smooth had "botnet" autocorrected to "bonnet" once, and I made the Monero bonnet picture:)
Activity: 770
Merit: 504

[Brilliance]

These are very amusing.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy 

We need a nude girl with a bitcoin tattoo trying to cover herself while a woman in a Monero bikini/clothes gives her a superior look.
Activity: 157
Merit: 1

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

Hang on...one sec...

...sorry, one more moment...

Ok, now I'm ready.

Ready for what?
Activity: 157
Merit: 1
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
additionally, I made an exhaustive video tutorial on cold wallet creation using the moneroaddress.org generator in an offline live USB linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQ5prfNfZQ

I was following the instructions provided by fluffypony, but then switched to using moneromoo's generator because those old binaries are apparently a pain to get working on a fresh live offline linux.

edited to add: it'd be great to get some feedback on this from those that are familiar with all these security approaches.

Thank you. This should help lots of people
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Good point.

Being a programmer I have thought about what use cases in the real world Ethereum would be good for...

I haven't really came up with anything yet as I do find the platform far too limiting. I figure I just wasn't smart enough! Apparently the founder of Ethereum is meant to be a genius so there may be real world use cases that I just can't think of?

I spent some time looking into this and got afa the current project list and found deception as well as no tangible prototypes. The bulk of all the Projects were nothing more than IPO schemes. If any of these projects actually produces something functional and the deception in the list of partners is not removed or substantiated then this coin is dead to me.

Also considering under the Monero currently being researched heading there is "New Difficulty Algorithm" I would have thought my last post would be contributory. But considering the lack of responses to links I drop in this thread I don't think anyone even clicks them. Just an FYI alot of times I don't use the keyboard and just use pointing device to communicate. Makes my life easier.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Spotted this gem on the Monero Github, encrypted payment ID's:

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/361
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Sadam - Thanks for the design goals. Looks great. Would be nice if they can break it down for the wallet, unless they want to surprise us.

GingeAle - I suggest others to look at your video. I already did the wallet generating and didn't check my steps. (Yeah, I'm now (not in the past) a great example of the type of person who doesn't want to get into the nitty gritty.) I'm trying to leave most of my IT background behind me. But from what I saw of your video - Excellent, great job.

Not trying to come across as a stickler, really just an average guy not wanting to jump through all the tech hoops. That said, we are all extremely early adopters and when the wallet is ready I think we still will be early adopters.

IAS
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
additionally, I made an exhaustive video tutorial on cold wallet creation using the moneroaddress.org generator in an offline live USB linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQ5prfNfZQ

I was following the instructions provided by fluffypony, but then switched to using moneromoo's generator because those old binaries are apparently a pain to get working on a fresh live offline linux.

edited to add: it'd be great to get some feedback on this from those that are familiar with all these security approaches.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Thanks for doing this. I tried installing (as I want to make some "paper" wallets, so to speak) but I get a fair amount of warnings.

Not to be critical, but I just can't imagine non computer people going through all the steps. Haven't been here much for months, any word on the GUI wallet, in the sense of just clicking a .dmg file and having it point and click? I mean I can use Electrum for BTC, My Monero online, but I really think not having an easier to use wallet is just hurting things. Hard for many of you to understand this I think as you are computer experts, but seeing warnings flash by the screen and such, just doesn't seem user friendly.

I don't have to download the blockchain to just create a wallet right? (I just want to make a paper wallet and will import to MyMonero or a more friendly wallet when I want to cash out.)

Thanks in advance,
IAS

Unless you get stopped completely (and in that case you'll get an error message to tell you what went wrong), the warnings while compiling can be safely ignored.

I agree you have to be sufficiently motivated to want to do this, my instructions were meant as a starting point for those who are interested but don't know exactly where to start.

If you take a look here you'll see what the core Monero devs intend to do before releasing the GUI, I believe Moneromooo is working on the "libraryize" now. https://getmonero.org/design-goals/

Until then, for ease of use go MyMonero.com, for offline cold storage go Moneroaddress.org, if you want to run a full node with LMDB right now you have to put in some more work.

legendary
Antifragile
I don't have to download the blockchain to just create a wallet right? (I just want to make a paper wallet and will import to MyMonero or a more friendly wallet when I want to cash out.)

That's correct. You can do it on a computer that isn't even online (in fact that can be safer).

In addition, http://moneroaddress.org/ can be used to generate an offline wallet.

A friend just sent me that, thanks. Can you download the source or ?

Yes you can download the page, save it offline, and then use it.

duh, I should have known that, just save file as .html. See, no longer a computer expert.

I have not seen anything mentioned about the new wallet. Is there a timeline, even rough, on this?
Could be a big help with those just getting into Crypto.

Thx in advance
legendary

That's correct. You can do it on a computer that isn't even online (in fact that can be safer).

In addition, http://moneroaddress.org/ can be used to generate an offline wallet.

Yes you can download the page, save it offline, and then use it.
legendary
Antifragile

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

legendary

Jump to: