Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 831. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Im expecting someone to chime in about punch cards

You're too late

BTW, aminorex, I'm interested in looking at Julia. Can you recommend some resources?
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
My first compy was a handme down TI-99A using TI-BASIC.   I then remember getting a decent copy of Qbasic running on a handmedown Amstrad (GEM what what) and that was amazing...  Then once in high school the Pentiums were the rage.   In high school they taught us some Fortran and Pascal.  Like many kids, I thought I wanted to make video games when I grew up....  But my passion was always more creative and less analytical.  It was the world creation and writing that excited me, not necessarily the technical aspects.  

In college,  the fucking University of South Carolina kept telling us how Java was the future of software development and made us all learn that (vs. C or C++ like we should have been learning).  

Even though I dropped out, those years of studying programming, hardware level programming, really hard problems (NP vs P, etc) were invaluable.  I'm fortunate to have just enough knowledge to understand the basics of what bitcoin, Monero, and cryptocurrency represent.  
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
I'll disagree with that though, it possibly could work on a 486 DX2 66.

I have a distinct lack of 486s in my life;)

My first PC was a 486DX/33, thats how old I am. Smiley

Mine was a Commodore 64, and then I learnt to program an 8086 with GW-BASIC.

I guess I got into computers a lot later than you, I guess i was around 12 or 13 so back in 1990 or 1991.  Yourself?

Mid-80s, my earliest actual computer memories (not those imagined from looking at old photos) are probably 1987 on a 286 (everything I was given was hand-me-downs so I could break them, lol) using programming books from the library and modifying things to work on GW-BASIC (and later QuickBasic / QBasic / PowerBasic)

TRS-80

nuff said.

Now Im expecting someone to chime in about punch cards or maybe even vacuum tubes. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

I guess I got into computers a lot later than you, I guess i was around 12 or 13 so back in 1990 or 1991.  Yourself?

Mid-80s, my earliest actual computer memories (not those imagined from looking at old photos) are probably 1987 on a 286 (everything I was given was hand-me-downs so I could break them, lol) using programming books from the library and modifying things to work on GW-BASIC (and later QuickBasic / QBasic / PowerBasic)

TRS-80

nuff said.
legendary
Activity: 1105

How old were you when you got your first hand me down and started playing with it?

I was 5 or 6 I think. But, then, I'm younger than you guys.
legendary

How old were you when you got your first hand me down and started playing with it?
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
never owned one, but learned to program on a univac 1100 using hollerith cards, fortran iv.  styles have changed.  now i am fond of julia.  emacs just goes on and on, however.... i still think the pinnacle of development environment technology was zmacs\genera\symbolics, however.
legendary

donator

legendary

donator

legendary
I was able to sync bytecoin full client with less than 4G of ram, but could not with the monero full client. Is the dev team still active ? How come this has not ported to monero ?

Use the current test version from github. Memory needed is <100M

Whoa, really?  That's a big deal!  Very nice.

Yup. Quoting fluffypony:

Runs just fine on a Raspberry Pi 1 with 256mb RAM, so I guess he must be talking about running it on a 486 DX2 66.

I haven't tried it on a RPi 1 but I do have it running on a RPi 2. It synced in a few days on internal storage. Supposedly it is much faster if you plug in a USB SSD.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
I was able to sync bytecoin full client with less than 4G of ram, but could not with the monero full client. Is the dev team still active ? How come this has not ported to monero ?

Whoa, really?  That's a big deal!  Very nice.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.
legendary
any (technical) comments on Bytecoin 1.0.6 ?

btw i see a huge pump is going on over there Grin good luck lol

Yeah, I just came here with popcorn for the inevitable sock puppet revival.

They're too busy participating in the alt discussion forum pro- and anti-Monero thread spamming, along with the dashtards and the regular copycat retards.
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
any (technical) comments on Bytecoin 1.0.6 ?

btw i see a huge pump is going on over there Grin good luck lol

Yeah, I just came here with popcorn for the inevitable sock puppet revival.
Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
straight forward as always, thank you smooth.
Jump to: