Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 832. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
any (technical) comments on Bytecoin 1.0.6 ?

The new addressing scheme is interesting. Calling it "new cryptography" is a bit of hype, as it falls out pretty obviously from the original white paper.

It has advantages and disadvantages, and whether it is a clear improvement over payment IDs to be adopted in all use cases is unclear (they are claiming that payment IDs will be deprecated but I'm not sure that is a good idea), but certainly a legitimate development to define and implement it as they have done.

The rest of it -- things like supporting high transaction rates when there is effectively zero actual usage of BCN and very little usage of any cryptocurrency right now -- is pure hype for pumping purposes.

Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
any (technical) comments on Bytecoin 1.0.6 ?

btw i see a huge pump is going on over there Grin good luck lol
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
I don't think Monero is for me, I prefer transparant coins, imagine if the tax agency demands proof of your transactions for example...
If a tax agency demands proof of your transactions, you can provide your viewkeys (either for your address, or per-transactions), so you can decide what to reveal or not. There is the real power, it's private by default, but public on demand.
You probably didn't know viewkeys existed? You probably don't know much at all in fact.
Better read a bit before posting irrelevant "conclusions".

Not only view keys (which are kind of a blunt instrument because they reveal every payment, when proof of every payment might not be needed), but you provide other evidence (for example receipts) the same way you would do for cash or any other payment system that doesn't have a public ledger.

The idea that tax systems need all your transactions visible to the world in a public ledger like Bitcoin is absurd, since Bitcoin has only existed for 5 1/2 years. Tax systems (and public accounting generally) have existed a bit longer than that.

EDIT: It looks like there is discussion about having multiple view keys, so there could be more control here https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3f9nej/i_want_more_viewkeys/

So much this.

"OMG, where did this cash that my customer used to buy a banana come from?!?" "How will I ever have a record of this sale without a public ledger keeping track of it?"

Thats why I think Bitcoin is dangerous, it brainwashed people into thinking online finance need to be transparent to the entire world, this is such naiveté, there are so many powerful unfriendly forces that could abuse this leakage of information.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
I don't think Monero is for me, I prefer transparant coins, imagine if the tax agency demands proof of your transactions for example...
If a tax agency demands proof of your transactions, you can provide your viewkeys (either for your address, or per-transactions), so you can decide what to reveal or not. There is the real power, it's private by default, but public on demand.
You probably didn't know viewkeys existed? You probably don't know much at all in fact.

In addition:

legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

Not only view keys (which are kind of a blunt instrument because they reveal every payment, when proof of every payment might not be needed), but you provide other evidence (for example receipts) the same way you would do for cash or any other payment system that doesn't have a public ledger.

The idea that tax systems need all your transactions visible to the world in a public ledger like Bitcoin is absurd, since Bitcoin has only existed for 5 1/2 years. Tax systems (and public accounting generally) have existed a bit longer than that.

EDIT: It looks like there is discussion about having multiple view keys, so there could be more control here https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3f9nej/i_want_more_viewkeys/

So much this.

"OMG, where did this cash that my customer used to buy a banana come from?!?" "How will I ever have a record of this sale without a public ledger keeping track of it?"
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Poloniex has transaction ID (optional) prompt to send moneroj out.
1. Is it really necessary or public address is sufficient?
I am trying to compare Monero with bitcoin and it looks like that you cannot see what is in a particular wallet by just using the public address.
Is this correct?

Not needed for sending out from polo unless you are sending it to another site/wallet that requires a payment ID (for example to another exchange)

2. If #1 assumption is correct, apart from logging into the account (wallet), how one can ascertain how much moneroj the account has?
By using all transaction IDs if you have them recorded separately?

You can't tell the balance of an account without using a wallet  (or client or whatever you want to call it). Even if you have the TXIDs or payment IDs and can find them on a chain explorer, you won't know how much is the actual payment and how much is change, nor which payments sent there have been spent.

This is different from Bitcoin or other transparent blockchains where each address has a public "balance"

3. If I did not provide a transaction ID, just the recipient wallet address, where is transaction ID generated-on the sender site (Poloniex) or wallet side (for example, getmonero)?

TXID is generated by the sender (as a hash of the transaction constructed by the sender). Payment ID is just an arbitrary 64 character hex string and can be anything (specified by sender) but the two are unrelated.

thanks, that was great. I mixed up transaction ID and payment ID (meant payment ID), but your answer is very clear.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Another thread about Monero, don't you guys have a forum like any other respected coin?

Of course we do.

What part of "Discussion of cryptocurrencies other than Bitcoin" is not clear to you?

Quit trying to bully on-topic threads about Monero off the forum. It's transparent and disgusting.

Sorry, smooth, you are almost like a god to me, i do everything you say.

BTW, where can i download the official GUI wallet.

Sorry i forget it again, you don´t have any...

Well, i have reached the quota for today.

I'll be back baby...
legendary
Another thread about Monero, don't you guys have a forum like any other respected coin?

Of course we do.

What part of "Discussion of cryptocurrencies other than Bitcoin" is not clear to you?

Quit trying to bully on-topic threads about Monero off the forum. It's transparent and disgusting.

not that Monero needs another thread, but I made a new technical discussion thread.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-improvement-technical-discussion-1139756

you come in there with talk of money, I delete it.

Everybody knows that this is a joke coin, but spamming is something beyond acceptable.

yeah and making noob accounts to spread fud is totally respectable

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/esoum1003-539590

oh why do I feed the trolls!?!?!

Because I am Troll Dev!!!

Lol, i like you.

It takes one to know one. Grin
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
not that Monero needs another thread, but I made a new technical discussion thread.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-improvement-technical-discussion-1139756

Everybody knows that this is a joke coin, but spamming is something beyond acceptable.

yeah and making noob accounts to spread fud is totally respectable

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/esoum1003-539590

oh why do I feed the trolls!?!?!

Because I am Troll Dev!!!

legendary

but monero still not have an official wallet gui, isnt?

Trolleros devs think that the important is to have a CLI, lol, no upgrade is needed.
legendary

thats right. And therefore no one should "invest" in monero because the most important aspect of bleeding edge fintech is whether the wallet software is cute and bubbly and grandma can use it.

/sarcasm
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
I have a little investment money, can somepony tell me in laymen's terms why Monero is a good investment compared to other coins? What makes Monero unique? answers are very much appreciated...

If you want a brief and consice answer, take a look at this link -> https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters

In addition, read the sidebar at https://www.reddit.com/r/monero (the green Why Monero?).

This is also a good read -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2u4m2u/the_thee_pillars_of_monero/

Finally, if you have a spare 30-40 minutes, just watch this presentation. It also makes some comparisons with Bitcoin -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVm1dMn5Ks
legendary
I have a little investment money, can somepony tell me in laymen's terms why Monero is a good investment compared to other coins? What makes Monero unique? answers are very much appreciated...

Do your own research. Asking people's opinions is not research.

legendary
Hrm, you would also have to make the floating minimum a range, not a fixed value.

Ff the precisely calculated minimum is 0.01211 xmr / kb, and by the time your transaction is made and sent to the network, the new precisely calculated minimum is 0.01213 xmr / kb, that won't work.

instead, you would have some range around the precise minimum. This range itself would have to be dynamic, but that could be easy... just use the rate of the delta for the minimum. I.e., if over n blocks the minimum moved 0.0004 xmr, then thats the range. (or something like this)
Jump to: