Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 927. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
I don't know if his personal crusade is still going on.. but I really wish that Smooth would focus more of his efforts on making Monero better rather than trying to make DASH worse.

Im a Monero supporter but I'm glad people brought this up. I thought it was a display of weakness and jealousy to attack DASH. I understand it's important to bring up the past so people dont forget about the dash instamine, but unfortunately it doesn't look well if a person in Smooth's position does it.

smooth is entirely, absolutely, completely entitled to say whatever he wants as an individual, and I will defend his right to do so even to my detriment. Obviously if he suddenly said something on behalf of the Core Team that was incorrect I would discuss it with him and/or correct him publicly, as I hope he would do for me.

Just imagine if let's say Bill Gates, during his free time, started trashtalking Apple.
Don't you think this would put off the Microsoft shareholders? Wouldn't it look like Bill was very intimidated by Apple?

Sure everyone has the freedom to say what they want. But just because you can doesn't mean you should, especially when you are holding a position as a "public figure".. A certain amount of elegance is required.

Linux is a cancer
Steve Ballmer, CEO Microsoft Corporation, June 2001. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/02/ballmer_linux_is_a_cancer/

Edit: It is actually a very accurate statement because the growth of a FLOSS project can, in its early stages, be modelled with a simple exponential function just like the growth of a cancer in its early stages.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
I don't know if his personal crusade is still going on.. but I really wish that Smooth would focus more of his efforts on making Monero better rather than trying to make DASH worse.

I don't have to make dash worse, it just is.

Just imagine if let's say Bill Gates, during his free time, started trashtalking Apple.

I don't know what Bill Gates said about Apple, but Steve Jobs sure had a thing or two to say about Microsoft.

Quote from: Steve Jobs
I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success - I have no problem with their success. They've earned their success, for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third-rate products.

Certainly glad with my decision to move most my assets out of monero, it will never be looked upon with respect as long as smooth is behaving like this, and even continues with this comment to show he's unwilling to change.

Monero will never be something great you guy want it to be, if behavior like his is not addressed and taken seriously. Fluffy Pony your making a big mistake having him on team if he keeps acting like this, your better off without him.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

I don't have to make dash worse, it just is.

I don't know what Bill Gates said about Apple, but Steve Jobs sure had a thing or two to say about Microsoft.

Quote from: Steve Jobs
I am saddened, not by Microsoft's success - I have no problem with their success. They've earned their success, for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third-rate products.
As for now, I'm still somewhat invested, and know XMR is great tech. But unless different approach is taken, and smooth stops being self appointed spokesperson, I'm going to sit back and watch.

smooth is a self-appointed nothing.

I am a self-appointed nothing.

We are both stewards of the Monero project by virtue of our early involvement and leadership. We speak for ourselves, and when we speak for the Monero Core Team we will always prefix the statement by saying something like "we (the Monero Core Team) think teal is the best shade of blue/green". We may use the "monero" Bitcointalk / forum.getmonero.org account to make such a posting, or GPG sign it, or use URS to sign it, or whatever.

smooth is entirely, absolutely, completely entitled to say whatever he wants as an individual, and I will defend his right to do so even to my detriment. Obviously if he suddenly said something on behalf of the Core Team that was incorrect I would discuss it with him and/or correct him publicly, as I hope he would do for me.

If you don't like smooth just say you don't like him. Nobody here is obligated to like anyone:)

Sure he can say what he wants, but as a core member he doesn't hold himself to a higher standard that is expected in the real world, that attracts investors and portrays the coin in a bad light going around so concerned about dash and idealism.

That's my opinion, and I voted with that opinion as I took 3/4 cut in my monero out, it's just not acceptable to me as investor, to see this behavior in a coin I have put $ into. Like it or not, we are spending real $ here, and when someone goes about on core team acting as he has, as investor I need to step back and realize maybe this isn't best place to put my funds, and it's very unprofessional.

Rest of team doing great, and is why I do hold some coins, wait and see what happens, but I'm far less vested in this cause of smooths behavior as a core team member.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10

Im a Monero supporter but I'm glad people brought this up. I thought it was a display of weakness and jealousy to attack DASH. I understand it's important to bring up the past so people dont forget about the dash instamine, but unfortunately it doesn't look well if a person in Smooth's position does it.

Don't you think this would put off the Microsoft shareholders? Wouldn't it look like Bill was very intimidated by Apple?

Sure everyone has the freedom to say what they want. But just because you can doesn't mean you should, especially when you are holding a position as a "public figure".. A certain amount of elegance is required.
G2M
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Activity: 616
I disagree.

Cyan is clearly the better choice.

According to http://colors.findthedata.com/compare/427-888/Teal-vs-Cyan-Process

Teal uses lower RGB values for both Blue and Green, while Cyan offers, on average 43% more green and 84% more blue.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
As for now, I'm still somewhat invested, and know XMR is great tech. But unless different approach is taken, and smooth stops being self appointed spokesperson, I'm going to sit back and watch.

smooth is a self-appointed nothing.

I am a self-appointed nothing.

We are both stewards of the Monero project by virtue of our early involvement and leadership. We speak for ourselves, and when we speak for the Monero Core Team we will always prefix the statement by saying something like "we (the Monero Core Team) think teal is the best shade of blue/green". We may use the "monero" Bitcointalk / forum.getmonero.org account to make such a posting, or GPG sign it, or use URS to sign it, or whatever.

If you don't like smooth just say you don't like him. Nobody here is obligated to like anyone:)

Hmm...disconcerting... I have one of the pre-seed wallets, anyone have a writeup on how to convert it?

You can't convert. You have to create a new wallet and move the coins.

There's no disadvantage to the old wallet though, as long as the .keys file is securely backed up.

Indeed, conversely we could say the new seed wallet has the advantage of being able to be restored in the scenario that the backup for the .keys file get corrupted also. I shall try the new wallet, thanks!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Update!!

Well I lost it all. My hard died on me. I was able to sync with bitmonerod (thanks for the help by the way). However, my .keys files went down with the hard drive... 534 Monero's!! almost a year worth of mining down the drain.

Well, i still have 1.5 KH/s worth of mining power. Back to the drawing board....

Word of caution to all - BACKUP/SAVE your stuff! Don't be me!!!

wooof. so this was pre electrum-style seed, huh?

Hmm...disconcerting... I have one of the pre-seed wallets, anyone have a writeup on how to convert it?

You can't convert. You have to create a new wallet and move the coins.

There's no disadvantage to the old wallet though, as long as the .keys file is securely backed up.

Update!!

Well I lost it all. My hard died on me. I was able to sync with bitmonerod (thanks for the help by the way). However, my .keys files went down with the hard drive... 534 Monero's!! almost a year worth of mining down the drain.

Well, i still have 1.5 KH/s worth of mining power. Back to the drawing board....

wooof. so this was pre electrum-style seed, huh?

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
http://www.ny.frb.org/newsevents/speeches/2015/mca150508.html

A speech from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York discussing the pitfalls of eliminating cash, which is an idea that's becoming more and more popular among economists (because they want to force negative interest rates). From the speech:

Until there are equally secure electronic means of providing that anonymity, eliminating currency is not warranted.

It already exists. Cheesy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/comment/11602399/Ban-cash-end-boom-and-bust.html
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

A speech from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York discussing the pitfalls of eliminating cash, which is an idea that's becoming more and more popular among economists (because they want to force negative interest rates). From the speech:

Until there are equally secure electronic means of providing that anonymity, eliminating currency is not warranted.

good read, im only 1/2 way through, but already:

Consequently, currency is inconvenient to use, especially for those who seek to make large investments or payments. Second, currency is subject to theft, requiring a big investment in security and insurance. Third, recounting currency every time it is moved or transferred between people entails time and expense. Finally, currency is subject to degradation, accident, fire, counterfeiting, and other mishaps.

.... not anymore....
Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Activity: 414
Merit: 251
I have several Chinese friends who are very interested in Bitcoin. None of them have heard of Monero. Any ideas about how we can better help?

I posted here as well:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11367427
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
Update!!

Terrible news.

You might want to save the dead hard drive. If there is a "moon" event, taking a shot with an expensive data recovery service might be worth it.

Those companies cost too much. I looked into it. It costs around 250 dollars (US) and I lost about 1 BTC worth. I might as well just start mining again. on the plus side, on a pool I mined 1 XMR since yesterday Smiley

Not sure you read his post carefully.  Say monero goes to $25.  Is $250 worth the risk to recover 534x$25?  That's a question for you to answer.  But how much does it cost to put the broken hard drive on a shelf until monero is worth $.00003 or $25.00?

You're  correct. Hard drive is on the shelf. Smiley
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
There are 30 years of history of free and open source software projects that says people with talent (often truly exceptional talent that would he hard to buy at any price) will contribute. More than that, many people have gotten wealthy doing so, by either leveraging their visible work on open source to further their careers, by starting businesses that leverage their work on open source to create conditions conducive to the success of their businesses, or independently doing other less interesting but more lucrative things while enjoying their work on open source far more (and using it to help stay sane).

Also I don't agree with the model of viewing decentralized cryptocoins as equity, because they aren't, but if you want to participate in the appreciation of the coin as a result of your efforts, the coins don't need to be given to you. That model works just as well if you buy them. Perhaps better (people value more what they have purchased or worked for than what was given or obtained easily).

In the case of Anonymint specifically, he's broke, which is unfortunate and limits his options, but that is not really the rule for people with talent.

EDIT: I agree with the previous post that there is a potential role for crowdfunding. So that is something we'll have to observe and see how it works out.
I see this as simplistic idealism. You're just setting up unnecessary limitations in the name of some absurd parody of fairness. The ironic thing is that this idealism actually hurts everyone involved in the project. There is no value to these economic ideals. They just give you a little tingle, while really just hampering progress.

I agree with you brilliantrocket. Actually Smooth is main reason I liquidated most my XMR. I hold 1/4 what I used to, cause of his constant trolling of dash (whatever you wanna say, it's trolling and looks horrible for a dev to do this, and hampers adoption, and investors) as it's very unprofessional. Even when i came into IRC, he still stuck to his stubborn guns in that it's good to correct them.

WHO FLIPPING CARES? If XMR is next best coin, they let the tech stand on it's own, and ignore dash. Also with this case, I feel smooth is really out of touch with how things work in real life, and is also hamper advancements for this coin.

And I feel like you are a troll in this thread. Undecided

But, you are still welcome here.  Grin
There are 30 years of history of free and open source software projects that says people with talent (often truly exceptional talent that would he hard to buy at any price) will contribute. More than that, many people have gotten wealthy doing so, by either leveraging their visible work on open source to further their careers, by starting businesses that leverage their work on open source to create conditions conducive to the success of their businesses, or independently doing other less interesting but more lucrative things while enjoying their work on open source far more (and using it to help stay sane).

Also I don't agree with the model of viewing decentralized cryptocoins as equity, because they aren't, but if you want to participate in the appreciation of the coin as a result of your efforts, the coins don't need to be given to you. That model works just as well if you buy them. Perhaps better (people value more what they have purchased or worked for than what was given or obtained easily).

In the case of Anonymint specifically, he's broke, which is unfortunate and limits his options, but that is not really the rule for people with talent.

EDIT: I agree with the previous post that there is a potential role for crowdfunding. So that is something we'll have to observe and see how it works out.
I see this as simplistic idealism. You're just setting up unnecessary limitations in the name of some absurd parody of fairness. The ironic thing is that this idealism actually hurts everyone involved in the project. There is no value to these economic ideals. They just give you a little tingle, while really just hampering progress.

I agree with you brilliantrocket. Actually Smooth is main reason I liquidated most my XMR. I hold 1/4 what I used to, cause of his constant trolling of dash (whatever you wanna say, it's trolling and looks horrible for a dev to do this, and hampers adoption, and investors) as it's very unprofessional. Even when i came into IRC, he still stuck to his stubborn guns in that it's good to correct them.

WHO FLIPPING CARES? If XMR is next best coin, they let the tech stand on it's own, and ignore dash. Also with this case, I feel smooth is really out of touch with how things work in real life, and is also hamper advancements for this coin.

legendary
Whimsical Pants
Update!!

Terrible news.

You might want to save the dead hard drive. If there is a "moon" event, taking a shot with an expensive data recovery service might be worth it.

Those companies cost too much. I looked into it. It costs around 250 dollars (US) and I lost about 1 BTC worth. I might as well just start mining again. on the plus side, on a pool I mined 1 XMR since yesterday Smiley

Not sure you read his post carefully.  Say monero goes to $25.  Is $250 worth the risk to recover 534x$25?  That's a question for you to answer.  But how much does it cost to put the broken hard drive on a shelf until monero is worth $.00003 or $25.00?
legendary
Whimsical Pants

Where in that post did I mention fairness?

I'll say it again. If you want a direct financial payback for your work, just buy coins, and then work to make them worth more. It's maybe "not fair" that you got in early and cheap, but I fail to see any reason that model doesn't work.

Bingo.  Same thing here...
legendary
Whimsical Pants

Anonymint can buy/mine coins and contribute to the project to maximize their worth or get involved in a periphery project--same as everybody else.

This is the thing.  At the moment Monero are cheap.  One can own a good chunk of future potential for little investment.

The idea that there should be those who do not participate in the risk is foolish.
Jump to: