Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 930. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Update!!

Well I lost it all. My hard died on me. I was able to sync with bitmonerod (thanks for the help by the way). However, my .keys files went down with the hard drive... 534 Monero's!! almost a year worth of mining down the drain.

Well, i still have 1.5 KH/s worth of mining power. Back to the drawing board....

Word of caution to all - BACKUP/SAVE your stuff! Don't be me!!!

wooof. so this was pre electrum-style seed, huh?
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
Update!!

Well I lost it all. My hard died on me. I was able to sync with bitmonerod (thanks for the help by the way). However, my .keys files went down with the hard drive... 534 Monero's!! almost a year worth of mining down the drain.

Well, i still have 1.5 KH/s worth of mining power. Back to the drawing board....

Word of caution to all - BACKUP/SAVE your stuff! Don't be me!!!

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
Reply received from Shapeshift:

I did pass on this message to our development team. They said it is on there list of things that they will eventually get to but we have a larger list of new features we would like to add that have higher priority. We will add it eventually. Stay tuned on our social media outlets for new feature announcements!
Activity: 768
Merit: 505
I just used Shapeshift to buy Monero with BTC and I can confirm that the mixin was 0.  Cry

Just sent this message to Shapeshift help:

"Please update the Shapeshift system to provide a mixin of 3 or greater for Monero transactions. It is important for the sustainability of privacy in the Monero blockchain. It is not that I always require complete anonymity in my shapeshift transactions, but rather that mixins of 0 have cascading, more longer-term effects on the opacity of transactions in the Monero blockchain. Thank you for providing a well-designed and easy-to-use interface and system for these types of transactions. If you can implement higher (greater than 2 please) mixin levels for Monero, the community around XMR will better embrace Shapeshift."

Maybe also PM the Shapeshift Account that posted some pages ago
I just used Shapeshift to buy Monero with BTC and I can confirm that the mixin was 0.  Cry

Just sent this message to Shapeshift help:

"Please update the Shapeshift system to provide a mixin of 3 or greater for Monero transactions. It is important for the sustainability of privacy in the Monero blockchain. It is not that I always require complete anonymity in my shapeshift transactions, but rather that mixins of 0 have cascading, more longer-term effects on the opacity of transactions in the Monero blockchain. Thank you for providing a well-designed and easy-to-use interface and system for these types of transactions. If you can implement higher (greater than 2 please) mixin levels for Monero, the community around XMR will better embrace Shapeshift."

I posted over at getmonero.com forum, but I will link to the thread here.

Re: Funding a physical Monero using a wallet derived from codes on the side of the coin - can it currently be done?:
https://forum.getmonero.org/4/academic-and-technical/221/creating-a-standard-for-physical-coins

A standard derivation from (14 or 7 + 7 base58 characters --> seed) is not defined as of yet; I have a few ideas/concerns on how it could be implemented.

Keep in mind it's basically a cold wallet where part of the secret is engraved on the coin - you'll need to have a passphrase (or at least a pin) too.

Roger that.

It is an interesting concept and one that, once in place, will allow some Monero gift-giving and other possibilities.
Activity: 337
Merit: 250
just tried the shapeshift. Mixin 0.

I sent a message to the developer(s) of shapeshift to start using mixin > = 3.  I really wish all exchanges that use XMR would do this.
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
I posted over at getmonero.com forum, but I will link to the thread here.

Re: Funding a physical Monero using a wallet derived from codes on the side of the coin - can it currently be done?:
https://forum.getmonero.org/4/academic-and-technical/221/creating-a-standard-for-physical-coins

A standard derivation from (14 or 7 + 7 base58 characters --> seed) is not defined as of yet; I have a few ideas/concerns on how it could be implemented.

Keep in mind it's basically a cold wallet where part of the secret is engraved on the coin - you'll need to have a passphrase (or at least a pin) too.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
The latest batch of 50 pure silver physical Moneroj 2015 is almost ready for shipment. The coins will look very similar with the previous ones. The main difference is the slogan. This time it's the fundamental qualities of Monero in Esperanto: Sekura. Privata. Nespurebla.

We have also created a short video about 2014 Moneroj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6xuvoKc5VM

Looks nice.  how much are they?
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
Need some assistance. Had a computer issue (PC Windows). I had 2 hard drives, the main 'C' drive which has the bitmonero blockchain downloaded and the 'D' drive which had the bitmoneroD and Simplewallet exe files.

My main C drive died on me, I replaced the drive last night, reinstalled windows, then created a folder - %appdata%/bitmonero , i downloaded the most recent blockchain from OP. However, I still can't connect via bitmonerod. I'm getting "Failed to connect to any seed peers, continuing without any seeds" error.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Yes, see this:

https://forum.getmonero.org/5/support/251/can-t-synchronize-daemon-no-nodes-alive-in-the-network?page=&noscroll=1

I had the same problem. Googling around you can find more peers if those two don't work any more.
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
http://www.wired.com/2015/05/nasdaq-bringing-bitcoin-closer-stock-market/?mbid=social_fb

This article discusses the need for some privacy in transactions. Monero immediately came to mind
legendary
Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004
Need some assistance. Had a computer issue (PC Windows). I had 2 hard drives, the main 'C' drive which has the bitmonero blockchain downloaded and the 'D' drive which had the bitmoneroD and Simplewallet exe files.

My main C drive died on me, I replaced the drive last night, reinstalled windows, then created a folder - %appdata%/bitmonero , i downloaded the most recent blockchain from OP. However, I still can't connect via bitmonerod. I'm getting "Failed to connect to any seed peers, continuing without any seeds" error.

There was some addseed commandline. Searching "monero seed" just failed blatantly on this forum. Source tells there are some hardcoded, so most probably you have network connectivity issues.

Code:
src/diff.txt:>     const std::vector m_seed_nodes_list =
src/diff.txt:>     { "seeds.moneroseeds.se"
src/diff.txt:>     , "seeds.moneroseeds.ae.org"
src/diff.txt:>     , "seeds.moneroseeds.ch"
src/diff.txt:>     , "seeds.moneroseeds.li"

src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("62.210.78.186:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("195.12.60.154:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("54.241.246.125:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("107.170.157.169:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("54.207.112.216:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("78.27.112.54:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("209.222.30.57:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("80.71.13.55:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("107.178.112.126:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("107.158.233.98:18080");
src/diff.txt:<     ADD_HARDCODED_SEED_NODE("64.22.111.2:18080");

My avatar icon is a staple of Toshiba stainless steel cased external hardrives, who come in plated like gold variant, too. Consider getting something similar for backup purposes.
Activity: 509
Merit: 500

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
You decided not to listen to

Listen to what exactly?

Listen to this activity miner/bot bumping up his score.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

Listen to what exactly?
Activity: 266
just tried the shapeshift. Mixin 0.

The hardfork can't come soon enough.

So, the long-heralded "pay anonymouselee to a bitcoined address" by using shapeshifter is once again a load of male bovine excrement, due to the failure of shadeshift developers to understand the necessity of using mixin > 2.

Brilliant.  Undecided

No. If you are sending XMR to shapeshift (for example to pay for a Bitcoin purchase), you can use whatever mix factor you want.

Even the other way, its not really correct to say that it "isn't anonymous". It still has stealth addresses (the address to which the coins are sent on the blockchain will never have been seen before and never will be seen again) and it's still going to be hard to do a lot of blockchain analysis once those coins are resent with mixing (possibly by the first recipient, if they care).

If you send BTC to shapeshift, then receive XMR (with mix=0) which you intend to send back to shapeshift as a form of BTC mixing (not entirely clear this is a good idea, but that's another issue), you can remix the XMR yourself by sending them to another wallet (with a mix factor) first before sending them back (again with a mix factor -- this mixes the coins twice, the same as if they had sent with a mix originally).

The main issue with mix=0 is the negative effect it has on other transactions and overall blockchain analysis vulnerability via chain reaction effects, but if one transaction happens to be sent to you that way it isn't really a disaster you can't work around.

OK, good news. Thanks for the explanation.

My apologies for my flippant tone in my earlier post.

Shapeshift is good-to-go then, in my book.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Though, in general, I understand the GUI wallet push, but the only thing I see this advancing is an increased user-base, which could theoretically lead to increased hodling, which theoretically leads to increased price of the coin. But, if the coin fails untraceability due to people using mixin 0 and dust bombs then.... Huh

Fundamentals!!!

But its your money!! And I'm just a dude.

"its not a bug, its a feature!", people using Monero should know to have guaranteed untraceability and privacy they have to use mixin 3 or higher.

Since the general population is lazy as a rule, just make the default mixin 3 in the gui wallet and 95 percent of people will never change it due to ignorance or laziness...

The command line wallet already has a default of 3. MyMonero has some reasonable default (I don't remember what it is) and I'm sure the GUI will have a reasonable default too.

Activity: 327
Though, in general, I understand the GUI wallet push, but the only thing I see this advancing is an increased user-base, which could theoretically lead to increased hodling, which theoretically leads to increased price of the coin. But, if the coin fails untraceability due to people using mixin 0 and dust bombs then.... Huh

Fundamentals!!!

But its your money!! And I'm just a dude.

"its not a bug, its a feature!", people using Monero should know to have guaranteed untraceability and privacy they have to use mixin 3 or higher.

Since the general population is lazy as a rule, just make the default mixin 3 in the gui wallet and 95 percent of people will never change it due to ignorance or laziness...
Jump to: