Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 968. (Read 4670673 times)

pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
Will you need to get put in prison for the testing phase?   Smiley

Hopefully we could find some volunteers who are already in prison Cheesy

As TPTB continue their schemes, all of humanity will soon find itself in a prison economy.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

Hopefully we could find some volunteers who are already in prison Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit

legendary
what do you guys think of the idea of using monero + mesh nets + open source smart phones to empower prisoners and prison economies. it could be an awesome test case. i2p is a decent stop gap measure but it will never be sufficient for our needs in the long run. trying to emulate a decentralized node based infrastructure on top of existing infrastructure will always have exploitable weaknesses. The only way to get truly dos resistant and reliably anonymous network interactions will be on parallel physical infrastructure. If we could figure out how to beat the fascists on a micro scale in the prison environment than maybe we could think about scaling up to the whole world.  

just some thoughts. im open to the possibility that im crazy. Smiley
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
Can anyone explain, at this time, why is the Monero lead dev working to get HitBTC delisted from CoinMarketCap?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11163682

Probably because of the ample evidence he has provided that they are not 100% legit?

But the timing is weird, why is this the priority?  With Smooth on the Bytecoin forum saying it is an 'abject fraud' and Fluffy trying to get Bytecoin's only real exchange delisted from coinmarketcap, on the same day that Bytecoin overtakes Monero on coinmarketcap, this doesn't look suspiciously like an attempt by the devs to make Monero's numbers look better, and extremely unethical if so?

IMO: It is rather 'unethical' to still have Bytecoin listed and traded. Any decent exchange should terminate all activities around scam coins - such as BCN. The same of course applies to coinmarketcap, etc.
Activity: 392
Merit: 255
Can anyone explain, at this time, why is the Monero lead dev working to get HitBTC delisted from CoinMarketCap?

Probably because of the ample evidence he has provided that they are not 100% legit?

But the timing is weird, why is this the priority?  With Smooth on the Bytecoin forum saying it is an 'abject fraud' and Fluffy trying to get Bytecoin's only real exchange delisted from coinmarketcap, on the same day that Bytecoin overtakes Monero on coinmarketcap, this doesn't look suspiciously like an attempt by the devs to make Monero's numbers look better, and extremely unethical if so?
Activity: 327
Merit: 250

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

legendary
An interesting use for a private cryptocurrency (Monero) is election fundraising.

essentially, anyone in the world can influence the upcoming US 2016 election.

hillary likes
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
I've been watching XMR for a while and I'm very impressed with its resilience. Seems to me that it is going to be around for the long haul.

Price is down a bit so I am looking to buy in soon  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
An interesting use for a private cryptocurrency (Monero) is election fundraising.

essentially, anyone in the world can influence the upcoming US 2016 election.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Wow. That fraction actually worked! I'm like an ASCII-art king!

:-P
donator
Why monero price low? I think its not stable price.

Stable cryptocurrency prices = bad.  (unless there is one pegged to USD for example)

Stable or increasing price may help adoption.
We may need better marketing...

Considering BTC is at 1/5th of its ATH they probably need better marketing more than we do;)

Seriously, though, adoption comes with maturity. We're a baby - just a year old - and there are many amazing projects by members of the community that are just getting going. From a core team perspective...we're not marketers, and we have no skill in that space, so you won't see us burning time and energy on an AdWords campaign. Of course, as the Forum Funding System draws closer to completion it's a good time to remember that marketing and all these other peripheral projects will soon be able to be pitched and funded through that.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

Stable cryptocurrency prices = bad.  (unless there is one pegged to USD for example)

Stable or increasing price may help adoption.
We may need better marketing...
Activity: 337

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
All I want is a new CLEAN page for just to live!
Activity: 337

Thanks for the answers so far.  Its important to try to understand the distribution of monero, especially in the early part of its life-cycle.  If the distribution seems skewed to relatively few people, then the chance for profits may not be that great.  Again, thanks for the replies.

First, I understand and appreciate your concern and the fact that you are honestly seeking knowledge and accepting factual answers.

The bit that caught my attention is "then the chance for profits may not be that great."

Really?

Because:

1 - The great banking cabals of the world in bed with governments have reaped some unfathomable profits over the course of history. They continue to do so. Sure, this may be a simplification of things to say so, but for brevity's sake, I believe it to be a valid statement.

2 - Several, if not many, cryptocurrencies in the altcoin space have allowed "insiders" and informed and/or lucky speculators to reap significant profits through trading, and there are some with extremely shady histories that continue to hold good value, despite an early "distribution (that) seems skewed to relatively few people."

With these examples duly pointed out, I again will state how I completely understand your desire to know the facts surrounding Monero. I am the same way. I think the overwhelming majority of this community is too.

While it does not forgive dishonesty and treachery, unfortunately, good intentions and "chance for profits" are not always directly proportional.

Hrmm, that is a pretty good point.  I should have used another term other than profit (although that is a motivator for a lot of people).  I am all about sovereign money.  With the advent of cryptocurrencies, each person is a "bank" unto themselves.  The profit here is the benefits of using cryptographically secured money.  It ensures privacy in transactions and also ensures choice in what you do with your money (hence a great profit/benefit).

This important invention (cryptocurrency secured with consensus) has been vastly underestimated in its profit to society.  My first scary thought when I really understood bitcoin a few years ago after falling down the cryptocurrency rabbit hole, was that government would imprison/coerce/harass to keep this from spreading widely.  We have seen this already with what happened to people like Brian Micon and Burt Wagner. Its a very powerful idea to say the least, and, as an aside, there should be no question that Monero is the best implementation, even eclipsing bitcoin.
donator
Thanks for the replies fluffypony.  I suppose that we can conclude that Monero was fairly mined in the beginning and also out to its current state.  I also read a bit more about the "attack" that happened in September which sounds like it wasn't much of an attack or compromise really.  All in all, I would say that Monero is very robust.  On with the Grand Experiment...

MRL-0002 goes into great detail as to how the attack occurred and what the net-effect was: https://lab.getmonero.org/pubs/MRL-0002.pdf
Activity: 644
Merit: 502

Thanks for the answers so far.  Its important to try to understand the distribution of monero, especially in the early part of its life-cycle.  If the distribution seems skewed to relatively few people, then the chance for profits may not be that great.  Again, thanks for the replies.

First, I understand and appreciate your concern and the fact that you are honestly seeking knowledge and accepting factual answers.

The bit that caught my attention is "then the chance for profits may not be that great."

Really?

Because:

1 - The great banking cabals of the world in bed with governments have reaped some unfathomable profits over the course of history. They continue to do so. Sure, this may be a simplification of things to say so, but for brevity's sake, I believe it to be a valid statement.

2 - Several, if not many, cryptocurrencies in the altcoin space have allowed "insiders" and informed and/or lucky speculators to reap significant profits through trading, and there are some with extremely shady histories that continue to hold good value, despite an early "distribution (that) seems skewed to relatively few people."

With these examples duly pointed out, I again will state how I completely understand your desire to know the facts surrounding Monero. I am the same way. I think the overwhelming majority of this community is too.

While it does not forgive dishonesty and treachery, unfortunately, good intentions and "chance for profits" are not always directly proportional.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
[...] and added lots of whiz-bang features to build the price up whilst we built up our stash.

We would have had a flashy GUI within a month!  Tongue

Nice recap overall, thank you.

That is indeed one of the best kept secrets of the whole monero landscape.

The absence so far of the clamored for features is (stronger than anecdotal) evidence against a scam.
Jump to: