Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 972. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org

Good to see we made it Cheesy

This is a good observation. Around the time monero was created there were 10 coins created per day. Some of them even bubbled but almost all of them today  are nowhere to be seen. Monero bubbled a bit. Dumped a bit. And now seems in a good state. Lots of work to be done for sure and and from the community end too! But that observation with a few beers seems promising Smiley
G2M
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Activity: 616
365 individual days i've been here, used countless profiles, relentless discussions ranging from absolutely abysmal to limitlessly enthralling, new mindsets achieved, new horizons discovered, I've lived at least three different lives this year and am now starting on a fourth, so many new people became a part of this along the way, but throughout it all there's only been one core team and only one monero. Both to be a constant anchor for many years to come.

Good to see we made it Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Happy Birthday Monero.

... and many more to come.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
I'm glad I had a chance to drink a beer with dnaleor today precisely at Monero birthday time.  Smiley

The force has been very, very strong so far around here. Looking forward to drink a beer with more of you.

Happy birthday Monero, happy birthday this awesome community!
Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
What a wild first year, thats how it should be. glad to be here Kiss

this day belongs to the devs and community.

its fun to be one yolo

Activity: 672
Activity: 231
Merit: 100
Merry christmas Monero!  Kiss
Activity: 198
Happy B-Day, Monero!!! :-)
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Stagnation is Death
Happy Birthday Monero

What a day, from just a bytecoin fork last year to a solid emergent hedge to BTC, we have come a long way gentlemen. Thanks to the exceptionally brilliant dev team and equally intelligent community. I find myself lucky to be involved in such a project. A true Laissez-faire

As a surprise, i received my physical Monero on this very day. One of the first batch of physical Monero ever created. Probably the first one in my country. Thanks Cryptonic Smiley

Vivu La Monero
legendary
Activity: 1667
Merit: 1008
Stoned & Stranged
Happy Birthday and keep up the great work Devs wish all the best  Grin  this will be the best currency in the future
Activity: 200
Only a year old, yet some have already sold. Something to think about. Happy birthday XMR.  Cool
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org

Happy birthday Monero Cheesy

A year full of joy and despair, awesomeness and waiting, FUD and fun,mania and calmness, BUT never boring! Cheesy
Activity: 327
Merit: 250
In honor of the 1 year anniversary of Monero, here's a pic of the coins I received in the mail today  Cheesy

Happy Birthday!!!

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
The State of Monero in its first anniversary, April 18, 2015

Risto Pietilä, Operational Executive in MEW - Monero Economy Workgroup

Beautiful Birthday Present.

Thank you, Risto, I stumbled onto your thread one day and haven't looked back. Thank you Devs for working through thick and thin. And thank you community for being the best out there.

Is it true there will be cake later?

Cake use fearless?
Activity: 574
Happy Birth Day Grin
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud

Beautiful Birthday Present.

Thank you, Risto, I stumbled onto your thread one day and haven't looked back. Thank you Devs for working through thick and thin. And thank you community for being the best out there.

Is it true there will be cake later?
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

Greetings,

Let us start from Bitcoin's first anniversary. There is no public post from satoshi commemorating it, and the project did not have that many public reasons for celebrating either. The difficulty had finally risen from the starting value of 1 a few days before, but the community numbered only tens of somewhat active people. Bitcoin did not have reasonable exchange value and the market cap per coins issued was about $8,000.

What happened in the following year seemed like a miracle in comparison - by its second birthday, Bitcoin was widely known around the world in techie/progressive circles, 10,000s of people had first hand experience, hashrate grew by orders of magnitude and the market cap zoomed to $5,000,000.

I would say Monero has pretty much avoided the "1st year" (or compressed it in the pre-exchange era lasting for 1 month) and zoomed directly in the 2nd year. The community is very active, and 10,000s of people have at least speculated with Monero. Just like with Bitcoin then, the use of Monero has required skill, it is a new technology, and tools to use it are only becoming available as the community develops them. The market cap is also in the same range as with Bitcoin then, with the main difference being no ninjamine - I am not accusing satoshi of doing anything immoral such as purposely hiding his project for a year, because the evidence does not suggest this - nevertheless it is good to recognize as a fact that satoshi owned 65% of all bitcoins in its first anniversary, 20% in the second, and still owns 7% (figures are minimum, additional mining with non-recognizable equipment cannot be ruled out).

From the perspective of distribution of coins and quality of the community, which I regard the topmost success factors in the cryptosphere, I am proud to believe that Monero now at least equals Bitcoin in its 2nd birthday.

Now we come to the technology. The obvious advantages of Bitcoin have only slowly become parts of the public knowledge. In any non-moderated discussion or comment section, there invariably are commenters who shout that "Bitcoin is a ponzi" (while not fulfilling any of the qualifications, starting from the lack of central issuer, or payout mechanism). Also "the Chinese will press the button and create more money" (no debunk needed) or "your balance may go poof any day" (happens sadly often, but has rarely anything to do with Bitcoin technology itself, and can mostly be avoided with precautions).

The negatives of open transaction ledger have become more apparent after Bitcoin gained wide recognition in 2013. Payments (so far) are difficult to preemptively block, but criminals and dissidents are now realizing that an untamperable public record of all your financial dealings is not really any better than a record of all your dealings in a bank account. The only difference between those is whether the public can access the information. The parties that you would rather not have the access have it in both cases.

While the general populace is still rather uncertain if the benefits of Bitcoin warrant them to try it out, this "new" information on the drawbacks of Bitcoin is spreading quickly among the people already in Bitcoin. In these conditions it is not very surprising that the BTC/USD rate has also declined and many of the leaders in Bitcoinsphere are actually short!

Monero has had intense experience of the mysterious codebase handed over to it by the CN developers, which according to David Latapie, is 86% rewritten for security reasons, while preserving the original idea by satoshi, and invention/implementation by CN, the ring signatures. During the 1 year, it has been tried to prove broken, both internally and externally, yet with quite meager results. Of all the coins in existence, my understanding is that Monero offers the most proven, most secure way to implement practical and easy-to-use anonymity.

Going to the 2nd year, the risks of some catastrophic failure in the technology are still present, but greatly reduced compared to the early days when the core team themselves only took the measures to understand the code, and there were issues with miner optimization, attacks believed to originate from the CN team, intense FUD, etc.

Pricewise, the record is mixed. Because Monero instantly grabbed the attention of many prominent bitcoiners, and went to exchange very soon, yet did not have any pre/insta/ninjamine/IPO/PoS or such things that quickly can meet the demand, its price rose quickly. The hangover came in the autumn, coupled with the depression in all crypto. Emission that in the summer could not meet the demand, was still sold to the market, and in the end, even the supporters turned to the idea of "selling now, buying back cheaper", the same that in my observation is prevalent in Bitcoin now, after their even longer and more depressing downtrend (don't get hurt!).

Such condition cannot last indefinitely, either the coin is abandoned and becomes worthless, or eventually there is a turn. Since the core team and the community showed very little signs of capitulation, it was only a matter of time, and the time came, and now we are by and large at an all time high in marketcap-measured-in-BTC, while barely started in unit-price-measured-in-USD. I don't very much care about other people's opinions (collectively reflected in these metrics), but if I did, I would regard the former as a proof of the potency of Monero and the latter as a proof of the short-term upside.

Short term, is however not the way I advise to treat Monero. Or depends in the definition. In the outside world, short term investments are a few years. Even a short-term stance towards Bitcoin has been successful, if the term is 2-3 years instead of months or weeks. Monero's development - while labeled as slow - is much faster than Bitcoin's, and that is much faster than most things outside crypto. I advise to be realistic in that anything with a $5 million market cap is likely to fail, and the total loss of investment should be almost the default. But also, the marketcap of any serious monetary system is not $5 million of current Monero, nor $5 billion of current Bitcoin, it starts at about $5 trillion of the current gold. A short-term investment of a few years is best achieved with sell targets after every rise in price (eg. 20% after every double). Even if the investment is long term, a periodic distribution of the stash is advisable, just with lower percents. Only when Monero achieves purchasing power stability can it rid itself from the speculative character, and the purchasing power stability can only be achieved at a very much higher valuation. Speculation need to be taken into account as a fact, regardless of the wish that it would not exist or be prominent.

For the following 12 months, I see that Monero needs to, and likely succeeds, in achieving the status of the "leader of the altcoins" and the "hedge of BTC". There has not been any new alts since Monero that strive to this position, all the new production is either lame clones or 2.0 coins, which serve a different need and segment. The alts currently above XMR in marketcap (filter premined&non-mineable) are Litecoin, Dogecoin and Peercoin, none of which has shown much development or innovation in the last year, and all of which being copies of BTC, suffering from the public blockchain.

The developers are clear in the development issues and they will be released when ready. While some say that mainstream adoption requires GUI and whatnot, I am strongly on the opinion that mainstream is not the target group for a currency that only has a few 10k owners atm. Increasing the valuation is a target that can be achieved by explaining the merits to the people who have money (new money VC-type guys). Increasing the adoption happens quite naturally among the BTC-owners once they have time to think about things. All alts are regarded as shitcoins by many, solely because of ignorance. The same time that, applied to my thinking, lead me to convert from mainstream to silver, and from silver to BTC, and from BTC to XMR, works also on these people, slowly. I envision that this process will start on this 2nd year of Monero, and the results are already visible as an increased marketcap by the end of the 2nd year.
Activity: 224
All I want is a new CLEAN page for just to live!
Happy Birth Day !!
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
Happy Birthday and Stronger than ever! Cheesy

I agree i love this coin and all the work from you guys the community, it is nothing without you, you guys rock! Happy Birthday yup yup Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Happy Birthday!! donation sent, 50 Moneroj

Posted in the Hall of Fame thread  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/monero-community-hall-of-fame-700400
Jump to: