Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 973. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Happy Birthday and Stronger than ever! Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Activity: 75
Merit: 10

Interesting article. I don't necessarily agree with all the points but it does identify some real risks going forward. Alternatives such as Monero will address some but not all of these risks
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
I use wrappers to make the code more readable. But truth is I don't find bcmath to be a pain at all, I love it. I love having every single atomic unit accounted for with 100% certainty.

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
There is certainly nothing wrong with using string-based numbers for accounting though. That probably the most reliable approach, and suitable for nearly all cases where performance and a possible space penalty don't matter.

Just fails on numbers like "one third", as in 1 divided by 3. Or on hitting any other prime numbers while dividing.
How about cranking up ini_set('serialize_precision', 17); and maintaining code readability? Those bcmath functions must have been a pain in the ...

Numbers such as 1/3 don't exist in accounting. There is always a defined precision (cents, satoshis, etc.). It is rare that you would ever do something like divide by three but if you do (e.g splitting an expense) you would need to explicitly address how to deal with the remainder to avoid books not balancing.

Exactly, also how is integers different anyways? It's not like you can divide 1/3 with integer any better, nor does PHP support unsigned integers so your range is limited. Too limited. Since this is a financial application, the reliability of the numbers is what matters, not readability of code.

I use wrappers to make the code more readable. But truth is I don't find bcmath to be a pain at all, I love it. I love having every single atomic unit accounted for with 100% certainty.
Activity: 518
Merit: 502
yeah, i found a couple tools. I've used flow charts as block diagrams, but if someone actually reads flow charts language, it could get confusing.

https://www.gliffy.com/
https://drive.draw.io/
https://www.lucidchart.com/

I think a couple of them have options for collaborative work, though I don't know how they handle version control or "pull requests".

But I agree with the hierarchy comment - it would help both newcomer developers and the noncoders (thats me!!). For instance, there was a newcomer developer that popped into #monero and #monero-dev, all gung-ho to develop. He/she was pointed in proper directions, but I don't know what happened to him/her.

But to embrace the decentralized nature of things, anyone should be able to stumble into the github via getmonero.org, see a fertile field that needs planting, and go a'forking without popping into IRC to see whats up. But I could have no idea what I'm talking about because, yah know, noob and noncoder. So I'll just go do the dishes Smiley

Google docs also allows users to work collaboratively on diagrams. It's not flow-chart focused, but it's certainly productive as you can use it also to describe architecture, code organisation etc. Also has version control of some sort, but is not really in the style of open-source development. (CK is driven off it completely, though)
Activity: 231
Merit: 100

I never want to see this happen.  Living in NSA America is bad enough.  Liberty and Privacy first.

If one is using propriety DRM infected, locked down, systems it will happen. if one is not then it will not happen. The biggest threat to freedom coming out of the USA is not the NSA, it is the MPAA and any organization that uses DRM to "protect" its "premium" content. Understanding the real threat is the first step to dealing with it.

A very good of thumb. If your device supports DRM at the operating system level in any way then any and all information on said device is accessible to the NSA.  

Edit: Android is a perfect example. If one roots the device, a must to protect one's Liberty and Privacy, then the DRM on the device no longer "protects" the content providers. One simply cannot expect a computer or device to have two masters. The choice is DRM or Liberty and Privacy but not both.

DRM can never protect content.  The content needs to be viewed, therefore all methods required to remove DRM exist on the device.  There is nothing anyone can do to fix this - the idea of DRM is a dream. 

How will the US deal with "privacy" companies based in other countries if they go through with this? Ban all encryption software from other countries? And how will this be enforced?

Doesn't really seem possible to me.

Their goal isn't to seal all possible methods of copying; their goal is to make it enough of a pain in the ass so that most people won't do it.

And it works quite the contrary. They are making it more of a pain to actually use a genuinely bought/rented product.
I bought a CD years ago which was DRM protected. It wouldn't play on several of my devices..In particular my stereo. Geeh.. Thanks! Then you want to watch a rented movie from the video-store (making sure it's the right country code of course) and the first 15 minutes are filled with "don't copy this" warnings which you can't fast forward.  Huh

At one point it becomes much more inconvenient to use media the old way (already has for many years). And it will become more inconvenient to use the regular fiat-system than crypto-currency in the near future. And it will at some point become more inconvenient to use government proprietary means of communicating (as to obey their anti-human snoopy tendencies).
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
There is certainly nothing wrong with using string-based numbers for accounting though. That probably the most reliable approach, and suitable for nearly all cases where performance and a possible space penalty don't matter.

Just fails on numbers like "one third", as in 1 divided by 3. Or on hitting any other prime numbers while dividing.
How about cranking up ini_set('serialize_precision', 17); and maintaining code readability? Those bcmath functions must have been a pain in the ...

Numbers such as 1/3 don't exist in accounting. There is always a defined precision (cents, satoshis, etc.). It is rare that you would ever do something like divide by three but if you do (e.g splitting an expense) you would need to explicitly address how to deal with the remainder to avoid books not balancing.

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

I never want to see this happen.  Living in NSA America is bad enough.  Liberty and Privacy first.

If one is using propriety DRM infected, locked down, systems it will happen. if one is not then it will not happen. The biggest threat to freedom coming out of the USA is not the NSA, it is the MPAA and any organization that uses DRM to "protect" its "premium" content. Understanding the real threat is the first step to dealing with it.

A very good of thumb. If your device supports DRM at the operating system level in any way then any and all information on said device is accessible to the NSA.  

Edit: Android is a perfect example. If one roots the device, a must to protect one's Liberty and Privacy, then the DRM on the device no longer "protects" the content providers. One simply cannot expect a computer or device to have two masters. The choice is DRM or Liberty and Privacy but not both.

DRM can never protect content.  The content needs to be viewed, therefore all methods required to remove DRM exist on the device.  There is nothing anyone can do to fix this - the idea of DRM is a dream. 

How will the US deal with "privacy" companies based in other countries if they go through with this? Ban all encryption software from other countries? And how will this be enforced?

Doesn't really seem possible to me.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.

legendary
...I fail to see the problem.

This bothers me.
A serious debate is happening in an environment that's almost devoid of technical input, at least from technical people who aren't part of the intelligence establishment.
I guess I'm still steaming about the whole Bullrun thing.

Bullrun is a perfect example as to why one must never trust anything that is propriety when it comes to protecting Privacy and Liberty.

Exactly, scary Orwellian world we live in.

XMR Integration / DEMO...

KILLER!
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
All I want is a new CLEAN page for just to live!
XMR Integration / DEMO

Finally done with this script. Grin The idea is to make it easier for people to setup their own monero accepting website. A working demo can help with that!

This is a complete PHP integration of monero. Once setup you will have a working membership site with:

• Login/Registration
  • Generation of payment id
  • Deposit of funds (automatically added to account after X confirmations)
  • Withdraw of funds (added to processing queue and processed automatically)
  • Admin Panel displaying current balances and other useful info (e.g status of daemon and wallet)
  • With some minor changes, you can add multiple cryptonote types of currencies/assets
  • The script comes with cron.php, which is the processing script. It can be setup to run forever in the background, or even as a cron job. Read the comment in cron.php for more info.

For install instructions simply open install.php

Download here: https://github.com/TheKoziTwo/xmr-integration

Step by step install (install.php):

Login/Registration:

Account area:

Admin area:

There is no guide for how to setup daemon and simplewallet in "server mode". I have been working on a guide as well, but it's not posted anywhere yet, so I'll put some quick guidelines below:
Introduction

With bitcoin, transactions are identified with a unique address. Monero uses payment id instead to identify transactions. This means that your XMR receiving address will be the same for all users, but payment_id will be unique. Users transferring money to your site need to specify both address and payment id

Setting up server

Bitcoin has both wallet and daemon in one and the same software. Monero has split these into two separate applications. You have bitmonerod which is the daemon and simplewallet which is the wallet. This requires us to connect to two different services.

Daemon (localhost:18081/rpc/)

You need to launch daemon in server mode, to do so run it with:
Code:
./bitmonerod --rpc-bind-ip 127.0.0.1 --rpc-bind-port 18081

Thats all. Once you have a daemon running, you can connect to it from one or even multiple wallets.

Wallet (localhost:18082/rpc/)
First of all create a wallet as usual (if you have not already done so):

Code:
simplewallet --generate-new-wallet mywallet.dat

Enter a password (demo123), you don’t need to write down the seed, but you may.

exit the wallet.

In order to perform operations usings the API, the wallet must run in rpc server mode, to do so, run it with the following param (make sure the daemon is already running first):

Code:
./simplewallet --wallet-file mywallet.dat --password demo123 --rpc-bind-port 18082

Another example, if you have bound the daemon to an IP/PORT and also wants to bind the simplewallet, this example below shows how:
Code:
./simplewallet --daemon-host 192.168.10.54 --daemon-port 18081 --wallet-file mywallet.dat --rpc-bind-ip 192.168.10.54 --rpc-bind-port 18082 --password demo123

Now you should be able to access the wallet outside of your localhost also.

IMPORTANT: When wallet is running in RPC mode it’s technically possible for hackers to empty your wallet if your port is open. You don’t want that, so make sure 18082 is closed.

You are awesome my friend, thank you!!1!111
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

This bothers me.
A serious debate is happening in an environment that's almost devoid of technical input, at least from technical people who aren't part of the intelligence establishment.

Bullrun is a perfect example as to why one must never trust anything that is propriety when it comes to protecting Privacy and Liberty.
legendary

This bothers me.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

i wouldnt say DRM in general is bad. DRM is bad when you don't own all the keys (up to the root of course).
imho (in theory) i'd prefer a locked down pc (tpm and drm) where i own all keys because i control what software is able to run: no more viruses, no more spyware....

atm it seems any pc/smartphone is insecure anyway - even without tpm/drm.

If the owner of the device owns all the keys up to root, then this is not DRM. It is simply a well secured device or computer. The whole point of DRM is to attempt to secure content where the owner of the computer or device is treated as the adversary.

Edit: It is very easy to secure a computer. Use GNU/Linux and encrypt the home partition or the whole drive. Then do not run as root for day to day operations.
Jump to: