Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 7. (Read 397587 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
Hi ALL.
I've got some resources on a private cloud. Around of 40x CPU. For now, I've created 2 VM with 20x core each. But my question is: maybe will be a better solution to create, for example, 20 VM with 2x core each? Will this influent in someway on probability to find blocks? Or leave as is, with 20x core on 2 VM?

Luck is a big factor in primecoin mining, why dont you run 10x2cpu instances on one acc and 2x8cpu + 1x4cpu on the other and let us know which one found more blocks.
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
Hi ALL.
I've got some resources on a private cloud. Around of 40x CPU. For now, I've created 2 VM with 20x core each. But my question is: maybe will be a better solution to create, for example, 20 VM with 2x core each? Will this influent in someway on probability to find blocks? Or leave as is, with 20x core on 2 VM?
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
Thank you both for your input. Wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Best regards
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Hi,

I've been reading this thread looking for some indication of performance but haven't come across nothing useful. I currently own a few machines and have been testing an AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6GHz, which gets me 0.012 chains/day.
From what I've read some people seem to be able to get much more than that, though I'm unsure if that number is related or not to the current difficulty.

Am I missing something or is current performance on this order of magnitude? I'm using this miner with default parameters, compiled myself.

Guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Your chains/day is fine. And yes, it is related to the difficulty because now we're looking for chains of 10 prime numbers, whereas previously it was 9.

Specifically, chainsperday refers only to the integer (whole number) part of the current difficulty value. It does not reflect the current fractional ('decimal') part of the difficulty value.

You can casually say that, you could take the chainsperday value that you are shown, and multiply it by the fractional difficulty part to get rough estimate of how many blocks you might find per day, assuming no variance. But as diff gets higher and higher, the "no variance" thing becomes more and more meaningless as you stare at your computer for weeks wondering why you haven't found a block yet. (The human brain is terrible at statistically interpreting infrequently occurring events over long time scales without bias). The precise calculations are a few pages back, have a look at mikaelh's recent posts.
Activity: 117
Hi,

I've been reading this thread looking for some indication of performance but haven't come across nothing useful. I currently own a few machines and have been testing an AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6GHz, which gets me 0.012 chains/day.
From what I've read some people seem to be able to get much more than that, though I'm unsure if that number is related or not to the current difficulty.

Am I missing something or is current performance on this order of magnitude? I'm using this miner with default parameters, compiled myself.

Your chains/day is fine. And yes, it is related to the difficulty because now we're looking for chains of 10 prime numbers, whereas previously it was 9.
Activity: 30
Hi,

You can scan almost ANYTHING on virustotal and get 1-2 hits. Try uploading any popular program.
Activity: 309
Merit: 250
confused developer
Hi all. It seems that the binaries hit something at virustotal.com. Has anyone looked into that before?

libgmp-10.dll TROJ_GEN.F47V1213, WS.Reputation.1
primecoin-qt.exe WS.Reputation.1, TROJ_GEN.F47V1123

Thats likely a false positive because of botnets (not sure why that'd affect the qt-client though).
Activity: 1
Hi all. It seems that the binaries hit something at virustotal.com. Has anyone looked into that before?

libgmp-10.dll TROJ_GEN.F47V1213, WS.Reputation.1
primecoin-qt.exe WS.Reputation.1, TROJ_GEN.F47V1123
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

Thx alot! Hope I'm browsing and find a solution here.

UPDATED: Still can't find a solution after downloading http://cygwin.win6.jp/sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/x86_64/release/boost/libboost-devel/

Follow my instructions from this post :
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4168509

legendary
Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004
Yeah, I'm mining a lot of coins in pools. A little off topic but is there any other scientifically useful coin than primecoin?

None released that I'm aware of.

There are two approaches trying to link crypto coins and scientific computing. Both rely on BOINC grid computing, and the link between scientific computing and crypto currency rewards is indirect and not very robust in my opinion. On the other hand, BOINC projects typically support actual scientific research such as searches for cancer markers or active agents against HIV.
- computingforgood.org distributes XRP for world community grid results (this depends on Ripple Labs' continued sponsoring of the project through XRP giveaways)
- gridcoin (http://gridcoin.us) makes mining rewards dependent on grid computing activities (AFAIU, this depends on a client that observes your computer's activity to see whether you're really doing BOINC work. I suspect that this can be hacked with moderate effort)

Onkel Paul

Disclosure: I participate in the computingforgood.org effort, the returns are small, but as most of the work is done when my computer is on anyway but would be otherwise idle, it's essentially for free.
Activity: 70
I think the best way to support the developers is if he can post referral links to VPS that's recommended to solo mining with this HP. I would certainly sign up with more than 10 instances on the ones that are good to mine on a couple of different hosts.

BTW, I got this error msg when compiling the latest checked-out git on RH 6.5:

g++ -c -O2 -pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -g -DBOOST_SPIRIT_THREADSAFE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/root/primecoin/src -I/root/primecoin/src/obj -I/usr/local/include -DUSE_UPNP=0 -DUSE_IPV6=1 -I/root/primecoin/src/leveldb/include -I/root/primecoin/src/leveldb/helpers -DHAVE_BUILD_INFO -fno-stack-protector -fstack-protector-all -Wstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -MMD -MF obj/main.d -o obj/main.o main.cpp
In file included from main.cpp:16:
prime.h:13:33: warning: boost/timer/timer.hpp: No such file or directory
prime.h:51: error: ‘boost::timer’ has not been declared
prime.h:51: error: expected initializer before ‘minerTimer’
main.cpp: In function ‘void BitcoinMiner(CWallet*)’:
main.cpp:4635: error: ‘minerTimer’ was not declared in this scope
main.cpp:4645: error: ‘boost::chrono’ has not been declared
main.cpp:4645: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘time_now’
main.cpp:4646: error: ‘boost::chrono’ has not been declared
main.cpp:4646: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘ns_now’
main.cpp:4647: error: ‘ns_now’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [obj/main.o] Error 1

Not sure what's wrong if I'm missing something?
dear AnhBen , Just browse around this thread you'll find your answer , the problem is that you need to use a newer version of libboost , the one RH6 provides is pretty old .
you'd better compile boost yourself.

Thx alot! Hope I'm browsing and find a solution here.

UPDATED: Still can't find a solution after downloading http://cygwin.win6.jp/sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/x86_64/release/boost/libboost-devel/
Activity: 301
I think the best way to support the developers is if he can post referral links to VPS that's recommended to solo mining with this HP. I would certainly sign up with more than 10 instances on the ones that are good to mine on a couple of different hosts.

Well, more support is always welcome. However, I see two problems with advertising VPS mining:
1) The AUP of many providers forbids mining. For example, Linode pretty clearly states that you're not allowed to use excessive CPU resources. So if you try mining there, they may terminate your account at any time citing violation of AUP.
2) VPS mining isn't always profitable. Many VPS providers are actually quite expensive, which means that you'll only be able to profit when XPM prices are high.

As far as I know, Amazon and DigitalOcean are the only big providers that allow mining. And for what it's worth, here's my referral link for DigitalOcean:
https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=a285e54b94da

The cheapest droplet costs $5/month and mines at about 0.01 chains/day. At current difficulty, that's about 0.006 blocks/day. So in a month you could earn (in theory):
0.006 blocks/day * 30 days/month * 9.2 XPM/block * 3.20 USD/XPM = 5.30 USD/month

So VPS mining at DigitalOcean should still be profitable (in theory). Note that if you are solo mining, then the expected time to block is 166 days. With 100 droplets, the time will be 1.66 days. So solo mining only makes sense if you have lots of droplets. If you don't like waiting for blocks, check out beeeeer.org for pooled mining.

I haven't done the math for Amazon's EC2 recently but I'd expect it to not be profitable. Even the spot prices are usually too high.

Also my BTC, LTC, PPC and XPM donation addresses are in my signature below.
Yeah, I'm mining a lot of coins in pools. A little off topic but is there any other scientifically useful coin than primecoin?

None released that I'm aware of.
Activity: 4
Thank you! Feeling better now Cheesy All 4 cores were @ 100% etc. but I thought payouts were more frequent then. "Glad" to hear I was wrong.

Hello,

Sorry. I know these questions have got to be asked quite numerous times already, but after quick search I wasn't able to find clear answers.

I solomined with my 2500k for a few weeks back in early december 2013 (or something like that) when the difficulty was below 10. Client is v0.1.2.0xpm-hp11-unk-beta

getmininginfo gave a good number for PPS etc. However I never got any XPM to my wallet.

- Is there something I could possibly have done wrong or did I just have a very very bad luck?
- Was all my work in vain?

Assuming that you checked it was mining: CPU was at 100% load, and getting some results from getmininginfo (eg. it gave you a chainsperday value other than 0), then no, you did nothing wrong. Even back in those days it would've still taken you many days or even weeks to find a block. You should consider pool mining (especially now >10 diff) if you do not like waiting so long for a payout.

Before reaching 10 diff I had a i5 laptop (modified for better cooling) mine for over 40 days without finding a block. Its was roughly half as fast as yours. So its not unlikely that you could mine for up to a month without finding a block: more if you are unlucky. And that was before 10 diff...
Activity: 4
Hello,

Sorry. I know these questions have got to be asked quite numerous times already, but after quick search I wasn't able to find clear answers.

I solomined with my 2500k for a few weeks back in early december 2013 (or something like that) when the difficulty was below 10. Client is v0.1.2.0xpm-hp11-unk-beta

getmininginfo gave a good number for PPS etc. However I never got any XPM to my wallet.

- Is there something I could possibly have done wrong or did I just have a very very bad luck?
- Was all my work in vain?
Activity: 76

g++ -c -O2 -pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -g -DBOOST_SPIRIT_THREADSAFE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/root/primecoin/src -I/root/primecoin/src/obj -I/usr/local/include -DUSE_UPNP=0 -DUSE_IPV6=1 -I/root/primecoin/src/leveldb/include -I/root/primecoin/src/leveldb/helpers -DHAVE_BUILD_INFO -fno-stack-protector -fstack-protector-all -Wstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -MMD -MF obj/main.d -o obj/main.o main.cpp

dear AnhBen , Just browse around this thread you'll find your answer , the problem is that you need to use a newer version of libboost , the one RH6 provides is pretty old .
you'd better compile boost yourself.
Activity: 70

g++ -c -O2 -pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -g -DBOOST_SPIRIT_THREADSAFE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/root/primecoin/src -I/root/primecoin/src/obj -I/usr/local/include -DUSE_UPNP=0 -DUSE_IPV6=1 -I/root/primecoin/src/leveldb/include -I/root/primecoin/src/leveldb/helpers -DHAVE_BUILD_INFO -fno-stack-protector -fstack-protector-all -Wstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -MMD -MF obj/main.d -o obj/main.o main.cpp

Activity: 301
Official Windows binaries coming anytime soon ?

They are coming out when I'm done with testing and I'm fairly confident there are no more bugs lurking around. Or in other words, when it's ready™.
Pages:
Jump to: