Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin - page 15. (Read 102789 times)

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000
Okay, the first GPU-enabled version is ready. Right now it only does the sieving on the GPU. Primality tests are still done on the CPU. The code hasn't been optimized at all yet; the performance is equivalent (+- a few %) on these setups:
1) Phenom x6 1055T, all 6 cores
2) Phenom x6 1055T, all 6 cores, plus a HD6990 using both cores

I don't think the current version is worth releasing. It still needs a bit of work, I want it to be twice as fast. I estimate there is room for a five-fold improvement, especially when I get the primality tests done on the GPU as well.

Tomorrow I will do tests using a slow CPU with lots of GPU power (Sempron 140 with 2x6990).

I think it worth a release... At least we can have pool set up based on the miner.

Yes,  I think pool is really important, more than a GPUminer.
I'm not sure that i agree that a pool is more important, but regardless of that, I don't think releasing the code now is a good idea.  A fair number of people have donated to this project expecting a GPU miner and releasing this code now will mean opening the source code up to other developers.  If they happen to release that code before mtrlt completes the GPU implementation then it negates the donations by those people expecting an early release.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that I don't think mtrlt should release anything until the GPU implementation has been optimized up to his anticipated 5 fold increase over CPU, for the same reason.  BTW I donated.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Okay, the first GPU-enabled version is ready. Right now it only does the sieving on the GPU. Primality tests are still done on the CPU. The code hasn't been optimized at all yet; the performance is equivalent (+- a few %) on these setups:

I don't think the current version is worth releasing. It still needs a bit of work, I want it to be twice as fast. I estimate there is room for a five-fold improvement, especially when I get the primality tests done on the GPU as well.

Tomorrow I will do tests using a slow CPU with lots of GPU power (Sempron 140 with 2x6990).

I think it worth a release... At least we can have pool set up based on the miner.

Yes,  I think pool is really important, more than a GPUminer.
Activity: 243
Merit: 250

Activity: 37
Merit: 0
So after you give out round 1 to beta testers are you going to release early to others who donate after?

I don't think its too crazy to ask for some results before we donate.  I bet there are lots of people on the fence with donations ready once some proof of work and or results can be seen.

I wouldn't do it.  Some folks will donate to get early beta and then just share with public.  And then the public will just tear programmers apart saying it's a p.o.s.  Keep it within the "inner" circle until it's actually ready for public.
Activity: 347
How about Xeon Phi for XPM mining? Xeon Phi is OpenCL device and multi core x86 CPU in one. Does somebody try it? Is it more profitable, than CPU or GPU?

He he Smiley You was faster than me. I think Xeon Phi is a good solution.
Activity: 639
Merit: 500
How about Xeon Phi for XPM mining? Xeon Phi is OpenCL device and multi core x86 CPU in one. Does somebody try it? Is it more profitable, than CPU or GPU?
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
So after you give out round 1 to beta testers are you going to release early to others who donate after?

I don't think its too crazy to ask for some results before we donate.  I bet there are lots of people on the fence with donations ready once some proof of work and or results can be seen.

He just posted some results on the other page...

Where? I don't see any testing data any where in this thread?

While it isn't concrete data he said that the performance of his 6990 and phenom II x6 together were equal to the cpu performance alone. The fact that it's working with part being done on the gpu is a result in itself. As he said, it has yet to be optimized and he hopes to have it run twice as fast. All we can do is be patient and wait to see what works.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Where? I don't see any testing data any where in this thread?
Activity: 840

Activity: 224

Activity: 112
Independent Analyst

So will this work on my Pentium dual core with 3x 7970? Can it handle 3x GPUs?

Or will I gain no mining increase until you have a full GPU version?
Activity: 75

That's better than I expected - don't most projects like this have worse performance when they first start working than the equivalent? I remember valve talking about optimizing left 4 dead for linux and saying they were getting 2-3 fps on linux when it first started running compared to 200 fps on the same machine in windows.

Maybe it would help to have someone test this on a machine with an intel processor too - sometimes the proc brand can make a pretty big difference even when two procs are equivalent in performance overall.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021
Good stuff, look forward to the pre-release. My rig is ready  Cheesy
Activity: 224
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Activity: 104

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
All estimates would really be a guess on what CPU is needed till we know more.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Alright, I have written the GPU code for the sieve. It compiles, but I haven't gotten to test it yet. I have to code the OpenCL interface first. I can't really use my existing code since all the other coins are "GPU does all the work", but the Primecoin miner is currently "CPU and GPU work together". The ultimate plan is, of course, to do everything on the GPU, but that's not gonna be the case in the first betas.
so we must upgrade cpus on our rigs? or 2 core amd cpu is enough to load by 100% 4*7970?
If you have a 2 core system, I'd say stick to other alt coin mining.  If this port is like other math-heavy projects I've seen go to GPU, it'll take 2-4 cores to load a single 7970.
Activity: 103
Alright, I have written the GPU code for the sieve. It compiles, but I haven't gotten to test it yet. I have to code the OpenCL interface first. I can't really use my existing code since all the other coins are "GPU does all the work", but the Primecoin miner is currently "CPU and GPU work together". The ultimate plan is, of course, to do everything on the GPU, but that's not gonna be the case in the first betas.
so we must upgrade cpus on our rigs? or 2 core amd cpu is enough to load by 100% 4*7970?
legendary
Activity: 1358
How much faster will GPU mining be than CPU mining for primecoin?

Same ratios of speed improvement in bitcoin or not as much?

I'm sure he will know after beta testing

Activity: 907
Merit: 1003
How much faster will GPU mining be than CPU mining for primecoin?

Same ratios of speed improvement in bitcoin or not as much?
Pages:
Jump to: