Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin - page 18. (Read 102789 times)

Activity: 301
Merit: 250
Hi,

A GPU miner for PRimecoin implies to parallelize the 2 execution instances of BN_mod_exp(&r, &a, &e, &n, pctx). Paralleling of sieve would be an improvement, but it is not the central part , as is done in other OpenCL/CUDA primality tests where sieve is done in CPU.

So, it is indicative  when someone open a thread about parelellize a code and reports are about mingw and accesorials and anecdotical affairs with Windows building.

Well, for parallelizing  BN_mod_exp(&r, &a, &e, &n, pctx) this guy should to have rewrotten (at least) BigNum lib for OpenCL ....  

Good luck with the project and people who donated !!

Yup, if someone manages to use some level of parallelism for mod_exp on a GPU, then that will be a big thing. I'm personally still a bit doubtful whether it can be done efficiently because doing the mod operation requires division. Usually those algorithms involve unpredictable branching and that's going to slow things down on the GPU.
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
It is hard but not impossible
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
What did you just say please?  Is it hard, impossible?
Activity: 217
Merit: 100
Hi,

A GPU miner for PRimecoin implies to parallelize the 2 execution instances of BN_mod_exp(&r, &a, &e, &n, pctx). Paralleling of sieve would be an improvement, but it is not the central part , as is done in other OpenCL/CUDA primality tests where sieve is done in CPU.

So, it is indicative  when someone open a thread about parelellize a code and reports are about mingw and accesorials and anecdotical affairs with Windows building.

Well, for parallelizing  BN_mod_exp(&r, &a, &e, &n, pctx) this guy should to have rewrotten (at least) BigNum lib for OpenCL ....  

Good luck with the project and people who donated !!
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
1 BTC donated. Txid: 8fad5daaef41f5aac9eb01306161a4cef78e180b3c255db094dd60d126b642bc
Activity: 396
Okay, progress report. As I said earlier, the CPU miner works now. However, my initial plan of doing the sieve work on the CPU and the expensive primality tests on the GPU didn't work. I've come up with another plan but it will take a couple days to implement.

The plan is to do the sieving on the GPU. The sieving is still something I don't fully understand, but I'm sure I can do it by studying the code meticulously.

mtrlt,

If you need help understand sieving better, you should look up some old distributed computing projects such as RieselSieve or SeventeenorBust. The SeventeenorBust forums might hold some key answers for you. I also suggest if you need some help understanding stuff to check out the Free-DC.org forums and specifically seek out a member named "Bok". I believe that forum and that user specifically could help you out substantially with any questions you may have. (:

-Moose
Activity: 280
Got it!  Cheesy Nice to know. It could be my next buissnes then. I promise something, then say I cant deliver and thank you all for donations and support  Grin

Every day I learn something new!

I really hope that will not be the case here of course...

Not delivering it and not meeting the deadline are different things. Just give him some time. I'm sure he is hard at work. Wink
+ 1
Activity: 280
@mtrlt How would you deal with refunds if you were unable to deliver a GPU miner at all?

Donation for GPU miner is a high risk, high return business.   
legendary
I dont have problem with prolonging a deadline! I am just in doubt about the final product, are we gonna see it at all...
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
Got it!  Cheesy Nice to know. It could be my next buissnes then. I promise something, then say I cant deliver and thank you all for donations and support  Grin

Not delivering it and not meeting the deadline are different things. Just give him some time. I'm sure he is hard at work. Wink

You could probably argue that he promised something in return for the donations and didn't deliver but still this is not the case for now so give him time.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
I'm a total noob at this & OpenCL but I guess if you CPU make the sieving you would have to move it to the GPU memory in an efficient (DMA-style) way, which is not trivial, compared to (system) RAM. Using the GPU to sieve would probably ease the task.

Good luck, will consider a donation if you keep us updated Smiley
Activity: 10

legendary

Activity: 840
@mtrlt How would you deal with refunds if you were unable to deliver a GPU miner at all?

The key word he used is "donation". This basically means that he can run away with your coins and you can't do anything about it.
Activity: 10
A Refund for donations? Really? Do you ask for refunds when the cure for cancer hasn't been discovered but you donated? DONATED is the key word here.
C'mon people...be reasonable...let the guy do the work and not wast his time answering dumb questions!
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1246
how much need to donate to see cpu miner?)) and how to use miner if primecoin wallet not support external miner(cpu/gpu)?
Activity: 1764
Merit: 570
Twitter\X @AlexKosa1
Why not release the CPU miner to the public? The donations were for a GPU miner, which will still be in a closed beta when it's ready.

I've donated for the GPU miner, and I don't see any problems with this.

It would be nice to test the CPU miner first to solve any problems associated with the new architecture.

+1
Activity: 7
Why not release the CPU miner to the public? The donations were for a GPU miner, which will still be in a closed beta when it's ready.

I've donated for the GPU miner, and I don't see any problems with this.

It would be nice to test the CPU miner first to solve any problems associated with the new architecture.
LZ
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072
P2P Cryptocurrency
Here's only one thing. The public CPU miner could potentially reduce donators' income.
Pages:
Jump to: