Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin - page 8. (Read 102789 times)

Activity: 213
Merit: 100
Donations ≠ payment

If you sent money to him, you did it out the kindness of your own heart. It's cringeworthy if you expect him to make software for you just so you can get rich, and expect him to work on it 24/7.

That's not quite what is going on here. By donating you are getting early access to the GPU miner, as stated in the OP. Therefore, I would call it a payment. It would be a donation if he open sourced it to everyone at once.

Edit (didn't finish my thought): It would be a donation if he open sourced it to everyone at once and you were sending him BTC for encouragement.
Activity: 356
Merit: 268
So where is OP of this thread?

Well less than 24hrs ago he said:

For the last two days, I've had some real-life related stuff take priority, I haven't gotten much work done on the miner. I should have more time in a couple of days.

Haha, so this is not "Real-Life".

He decides to take $1,000's and then enjoy his new lifestyle before even prioritizing the community who is actually having high hopes for him...

Now he can make another bs story to premine or delay the release.

How can you say that?

What if someone in his family became very ill or passed away?

Don't be a dbag unless you have proof that he intends to fraud his donators.

That could happen, but users deserve a reasonable explanation and i am sure anybody can explain better instead of saying couple of days.

Usually it is bullshit though, i am looking at probability. And based on history of anything crypto related, people who withhold information or delay any thing are usually doing it for there own intentions.

I have yet to see anything about his reputation other than him coding reaper to outweigh my suspicions.

Not just making something up, it just smells more like bs to me.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Donations ≠ payment

If you sent money to him, you did it out the kindness of your own heart. It's cringeworthy if you expect him to make software for you just so you can get rich, and expect him to work on it 24/7.
Activity: 59
Merit: 10

For the last two days, I've had some real-life related stuff take priority, I haven't gotten much work done on the miner. I should have more time in a couple of days.

He decides to take $1,000's and then enjoy his new lifestyle before even prioritizing the community who is actually having high hopes for him...

How can you say that?

Why not just sell the program for the first few days when it's finished? instead of asking early for "investments" or "donations". It shouldn't have cost him anything so why invest. The only thing he should be getting handed BTC for is for the time he spent to complete it.

I'm not trying to assume this guy is BS, he does have past credentials. But what i don't understand is why people hand him thousands before something is even finished. Risky, but hey, it's your money.
Activity: 868
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

How can you say that?

Activity: 356
Merit: 268

Activity: 59
Merit: 10
phree BTCBTCBTCBTC Pl0x Ty  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

Activity: 639
Activity: 168
so a gpu miner has been released for XPM but not posted in this thread?

Possibly a hoax with virus?

Think twice before you say something.

Maybe you should do the same before posting worthless comments. :-D

Maybe. Cheesy You should wrote:

so a gpu miner has been released for XPM, but not by mtrlt?

Activity: 675
Merit: 507
Freedom to choose

Maybe you should do the same before posting worthless comments. :-D
Activity: 415
Merit: 250
Nah it's not out yet, I think. It's in alpha/beta stage, as far as I know.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
GPU miner is out and people are trying to keep it a secret? Wink
Activity: 168

Activity: 524
I don't think that 25x number means what some people think it means. It is the ratio between the speed of one 6990 chip (with 1536 stream processors/cores) and ONE core of an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T. The Phenom II X6 1055T has 6 cores so the 6990 chip (it has 2 but is a very expensive card) is 25 / 6 = 4.17 times faster overall.

The 1055T is also a kind of crappy processor so it's not a fair comparison to what most people are using. It is about 1/2 the speed of an Intel core i7 4770: 4.17 / 2 = 2.09. So the sieve part of the miner is about twice as fast as an i7 4770.
One GPU "shader" is 32 bit wide, Phenom II is 128 bit, i7 is 256 bit
Activity: 675
Merit: 507
Freedom to choose

Activity: 122
I don't think that 25x number means what some people think it means. It is the ratio between the speed of one 6990 chip (with 1536 stream processors/cores) and ONE core of an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T. The Phenom II X6 1055T has 6 cores so the 6990 chip (it has 2 but is a very expensive card) is 25 / 6 = 4.17 times faster overall.

The 1055T is also a kind of crappy processor so it's not a fair comparison to what most people are using. It is about 1/2 the speed of an Intel core i7 4770: 4.17 / 2 = 2.09. So the sieve part of the miner is about twice as fast as an i7 4770.

The sieve part is also much easier to speed up than the fermat test because the sieve uses simple arithmetic but the prime test needs exponentiation, which is hard to parallelize on a gpu.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1077
^ Will code for Bitcoins
Nevertheless, such high gains wouldn't be needed at all to kick the VPS farms out of the game. I don't have the VPS farm to testify how much profit they have per $ invested at current difficulty, but I'm sure even more moderate (than 25x) GPU efficiency gains will bring VPS farms in red.

It is a close call actually. If you own the VPS farm like I do (Memset.com) then you're only paying for the small slice of the host hardware (~$0.02/day/quad-Xeon) plus the additional power (20 Watts so ~$0.07/day/quad-xeon). I'm currently getting about 1BTC/day/50 quad-xeon hosts, or ~$2/day/quad-Xeon - it would stop being profitable after a >20-fold productivity reduction roughly. If you're paying the going rate for your VMs (even if you're using a cheap host like Memset, hint hint Wink ) of, say, $10/month then they will become unprofitable quite soon (>6-fold productivity reduction/difficulty increase).

It also depends on the uptake by GPU miners. If many decide to switch across then yes difficulty will severely curtail the XPM profits, but since it is not technically trivial to implement there is a strong argument for there being slow and/or limited adoption of XPM GPU mining. BTW, where you can you view the total XPM network hashrate/PPS? With that, and ideally historical data, I could do some forecasting on how long XPM will be profitable to mine with VM farms.

As an aside, someone commented about selling XPM. My view as a miner is that I'm not in the business of cryptocurrency speculation so I sell everything at the current price to BTC. I do then have bots trading BTC/USD to get some upside but alt-coins have too low liquidity and too high volatility to be sensible to trade at this time (unless you've really got nothing else to do). For me its all about automation: human time is very expensive!!

Kate.

Thank you Kate for this great insight, I haven't thought VPS mining is still so highly profitable, it's amazing it could withstand 6 to 20-fold productivity reduction and still be OK. Guess in that case we may have GPU/VPS mix-up much longer than I thought, it's hard to expect GPU miner will give > 20x more reward right from the beginning.

To answer your question: there is no hashrate in XPM, only PPS and similar measurements that can not be exactly deduced from difficulty. So you can not see those figures anywhere.
Activity: 153
Nevertheless, such high gains wouldn't be needed at all to kick the VPS farms out of the game. I don't have the VPS farm to testify how much profit they have per $ invested at current difficulty, but I'm sure even more moderate (than 25x) GPU efficiency gains will bring VPS farms in red.

It is a close call actually. If you own the VPS farm like I do (Memset.com) then you're only paying for the small slice of the host hardware (~$0.02/day/quad-Xeon) plus the additional power (20 Watts so ~$0.07/day/quad-xeon). I'm currently getting about 1BTC/day/50 quad-xeon hosts, or ~$2/day/quad-Xeon - it would stop being profitable after a >20-fold productivity reduction roughly. If you're paying the going rate for your VMs (even if you're using a cheap host like Memset, hint hint Wink ) of, say, $10/month then they will become unprofitable quite soon (>6-fold productivity reduction/difficulty increase).

It also depends on the uptake by GPU miners. If many decide to switch across then yes difficulty will severely curtail the XPM profits, but since it is not technically trivial to implement there is a strong argument for there being slow and/or limited adoption of XPM GPU mining. BTW, where you can you view the total XPM network hashrate/PPS? With that, and ideally historical data, I could do some forecasting on how long XPM will be profitable to mine with VM farms.

As an aside, someone commented about selling XPM. My view as a miner is that I'm not in the business of cryptocurrency speculation so I sell everything at the current price to BTC. I do then have bots trading BTC/USD to get some upside but alt-coins have too low liquidity and too high volatility to be sensible to trade at this time (unless you've really got nothing else to do). For me its all about automation: human time is very expensive!!

Kate.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1077
^ Will code for Bitcoins
I don't know if I'm a retard, I've converted *all* my XPM, that I've mined from the beginning, to BTC two days ago when I realized GPU miner is closer than I thought, don't have a single XPM now. I calculated and reasoned what I've posted above, if I'm wrong I will pay, if I'm right i will have the option to buy them back if I want to for the fraction of the BTC I've got when I sold them. We'll see who is right or wrong in a month or two.

I believe you forgot to calculate popularity, and increased overall economic activity of the coin due to gpu miner adoption.  I think you're going to miss out with your current position, but I also hope XPM does go down for a bit so I can buy more  Grin.

That's good argument, if demand goes higher than it may bring the price up no matter how cheap the supply is. But this may be only temporarily, because anyone can just GPU mine them selves instead of buying XPM. Also, XPM can be as popular as LTC for instance, but there is only one king in this coin came and that is BTC, all altcoins are in the market for BTC, and that market dictates the price, not the popularity.
Pages:
Jump to: