Pages:
Author

Topic: z - page 4. (Read 58307 times)

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
April 11, 2013, 04:39:07 AM
But as long as a new address is used, you don't know who that belongs to, you can't be sure, you can't prove anything. It could be a payment or other legitimate transaction.

And the minute the original owner decides to use a proper mixing service, the output address on the other side of the mixer can't be linked at all. (no taint.)
Activity: 209
Merit: 100
April 11, 2013, 04:22:54 AM
That's about 2028 transactions, involving about 5000 addresses. I computed
the balance for all of these, and ... the outcome is very interesting  Grin

Do you care to share the interesting part ?
Activity: 826
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
April 10, 2013, 08:50:19 PM
looks like we have picked up the scent  Grin

znort, as you stated the closure won't include addressees that don't engage in joint sending transactions.  But if someone performs single address to single address transfers these escape the closure.  Perhaps very conservative approach of inducing addresses that receive all their funds from already closured addresses AND when that amount represents a significant portion (say >50%) of all the coins in the closure we can be very confident that this is really an address owned by the closure owner.  This might catch slightly more addresses then the closure and taint methods as we would continue to see mining income to the wider closure which would improve the taint analysis.

Also another possible tool idea, I call it coin-transaction-age, simply a count of now many times an individual coin has been transacted.  It should then be possible to create a mean-transaction-age of someones coins and tell roughly how circulated their coins are.  A newly mined 50 value coin would have 1 transaction (the one that mined it) and the first time its transferred it becomes a 2 transaction coin and so on and so on.  If coins merge just take the weighted average.  So your earlier statistic about these 'abandoned' coins would evolve into a full-spectrum of the whole coin base from 1 transactions to thousands, I suspect we would see a power-curve with a small number of coins performing huge numbers of transactions.

Now what gets interesting is do to a mean-transaction-age for a wallets balance, this would effectively tell us how close an address is to mining (giving a low count), or if they are very far (in a transaction sense) from mining activity and engaging with older more used coins (like a merchant for example).  Could provide an interesting angle by which to analyze addresses.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
April 10, 2013, 06:04:54 AM
Some of these people must be cheering right about now. Tongue

And some are cursing themselves for losing their private keys.

Haha, didn't think of that. That's so true. Imagine how many BTC's have been 'lost' due to this.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
April 10, 2013, 05:48:07 AM
I can't BEAR to look from envy. Smiley  Tongue
April 10, 2013, 03:29:42 AM
http://blockchain.info/fb/12hi

I believe this address would be high on the list if it wasn't "cleared out".  I believe this one belongs to Satoshi because the oldest transaction was 3 days into bitcoin's existence. It seems a lot of mining rewards from the very early days were sent here. I tried to follow the money, but bitcoin did its job and led me nowhere.

Znort, how about running the closure and 'taint' tools on this address, that would at-least give a broad-brush generalization of if these coins were scattered to the wind or stayed consolidated, I suspect it would be the former as people were much loser with BTC back then when it was really worth nothing.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
April 10, 2013, 02:35:50 AM
What is the largest wallet that can be linked to an owner with confidence?
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
April 10, 2013, 02:13:38 AM
http://blockchain.info/fb/12hi

I believe this address would be high on the list if it wasn't "cleared out".  I believe this one belongs to Satoshi because the oldest transaction was 3 days into bitcoin's existence. It seems a lot of mining rewards from the very early days were sent here. I tried to follow the money, but bitcoin did its job and led me nowhere.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
April 09, 2013, 03:40:05 PM
Good luck trying to sell 100k coins, there's not enough liquidity in the system to handle it.

It is actually much easier to do than many may think. If you want to sell 100k BTC privately and off market PM me. I'll put you in touch with a buyer.

Will that buyer pay market price?
If the answer is no, don't even bother
Activity: 121
April 09, 2013, 12:54:42 PM
Needless to say, I am not on this list.
Activity: 546
April 09, 2013, 11:38:04 AM
so does it look like the richest are spending anything? or is it just moving then around?

Does anyone know?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
April 09, 2013, 08:34:17 AM
i wish i was on that list   Cheesy
Activity: 182
April 09, 2013, 07:56:16 AM
Ahh good point. So richest wallet is $22M.

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
April 09, 2013, 07:50:28 AM
So the richest BTC person is worth $22M?

Not necessarily. The richest BTC wallet is, but the richest person could own several wallets.
April 09, 2013, 07:42:08 AM
So the richest BTC person is worth $22M?
April 09, 2013, 07:39:36 AM

And some are cursing themselves for losing their private keys.
Activity: 504
April 09, 2013, 05:45:15 AM
April 08, 2013, 11:34:44 PM
Good luck trying to sell 100k coins, there's not enough liquidity in the system to handle it.
April 08, 2013, 11:11:49 PM
Such collaborative TX should be very rare and they are almost certainly between individuals who have similar characteristics and would end up in the same classification anyways (miners, hoarders, speculators etc) and thus from a high level macro analysis a few over-aggressive closures should have virtually no effect on determining Macro flows.

I'll have a look at your code see if I can offer any improvements, but unfortunately I don't run Linux so may need to port it first if that proves doable.  What if any improvements do you currently plan to make?
April 08, 2013, 08:28:37 PM
Ok you make some good arguments but lets dig into the data and try to actually get a handle on these macro-flows of BTC.  While miners might seem to be insignificant given Mt.Gox volume, some coins are certainly freezing out (hoarded) after going through Mt.Gox, or else their trade volume would be growing over time and it's fairly stable now for nearly a year.  Thus if miners really are the only major inflow of coins into a relatively small sub-section of coins that turnover very fast but also leak-out rapidly then the miners liquidation rate could have a significant effect.  Or maybe BTC-Dollar exchanged coins really are an island that neither gains nor loses much and we simply have a plain old speculative bubble driven entirely by 'animal-spirits' and an influx of more people competing over the same number of coins.

Now to do this kind of deep analysis you probably need to get all 'closure' address groups computed.  Is that remotely feasible and could the resulting closure lists be archived such that you can start doing 2nd order analysis on it such as identifying know entities and grouping them by characteristics like transaction volume, age and obviously balance.  Then you can calculate the aggregate flows between the groupings and get a macro picture of what the whole BTC economy looks like.
Pages:
Jump to: