Author

Topic: ★ ZEIT ★ [COMMUNITY & KNIGHTS] [ULTRA LOW INFLATION] [MICRO-PAYMENTS] - page 171. (Read 1009280 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1010
Professional Native Greek Translator (2000+ done)
at what amounts do i need to split my coins?
legendary
Im glad my question started a zeit storm here Cheesy so much useful info Cheesy
Activity: 307
Merit: 250
Something really strange happened, without any transactions to show for it, my coin stack went from 1.6 million to 1.3 million!? Anyone any idea as to why? No transactions, no unmined coins that could have caused this Huh

Affected addresses?

No idea ow to extract that data....
have you tried 'repairwallet' from the console?

@Furio
Are you sure that you have not made a mistake? I sometimes think that with other coins, but put it down to confusion in having holdings in several with similar amounts. I now make a written note of all my balances to keep track of things. I've never had a problem with Zeitcoin though.

Could looking at your addresses with a block explorer help?

Besides the other advice, I wonder whether creating a new wallet and replacing the wallet.dat file with the one you presumably have saved do the trick? I've never had to do this, but the saved wallet.dat file, as far as I understand, should contain info on the addresses and transactions and maybe the amount saved at the time you made the backup. I'm not sure of this. Possibly everything could get updated when you sync up to override saved information. Could anyone give some advice on this?

If this method is valid, it could confirm whether you have confused your Zeit balance with other balances you might have. If you haven't been backing your wallet up, then you have committed a cardinal sin. In that case, shame on you!

In parallel to this, I'd like to know:

1) if simply replacing the wallet.dat file in a newly created wallet with a saved wallet.dat file from an old wallet preserves the saved balance, addresses and transactions?

2) if you did this with a saved wallet.dat file long before a coin had forked and tried this long after the fork, would it work in preserving the old balance? I tried this with an old saved Tekcoin wallet.dat file I had recently rediscovered. I only had a small amount in the wallet, which never minted. Frustrated by this, I had got rid of the wallet from my computer to save space. Tekcoin at the time was riddled with bugs, but since then has improved a lot. When I tried to put my old Tekcoin saved wallet.dat from 2014 into a new November, 2015 wallet, long after a Tekcoin fork, I got a message saying that it recognised my keys as being valid, but that there might be errors with my transactions and addresses? I couldn't get any further since the new wallet kept crashing during rescanning.

Can anyone throw a light on these wallet.dat questions and further, how Furio could solve his problem?
uki
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
cryptojunk bag holder
Something really strange happened, without any transactions to show for it, my coin stack went from 1.6 million to 1.3 million!? Anyone any idea as to why? No transactions, no unmined coins that could have caused this Huh

Affected addresses?

have you tried 'repairwallet' from the console?
legendary
Activity: 938
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

Affected addresses?

legendary
Activity: 1318
Merit: 1036

Affected addresses?
legendary
Activity: 938
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR
Activity: 307
kiklo, it can give more details? Smiley
What will happen in January? Do not keep us in suspense...

Shane Kiklo ... come back! ... Kiklo ... Kiklo ... come back! ... Gregofdoom needs you (the suspense is killing him) ... Uki wants you ... come back ... ... Kiklo ... kiklo ... come back ...

Seriously Kiklo, I think I'm speaking for all when I say that we have appreciated the high-level body of work that you have done for Zeit - a tremendous amount of work. Looking forward to seeing you return in January. Good luck with your endeavours.

Secretly, I think you are working on Kiklocoin. If you are, tell me ... I'll be one of your first investors!    Wink
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1006
kiklo, it can give more details? Smiley
What will happen in January? Do not keep us in suspense...
legendary
Activity: 1092
Some other world stuff is coming up.
Probably will be stuck inbetween dimensions until Jan. 2016 .

See you Guys in Jan.

Later,
Kiklo

Before I go ,
FYI :  Peercoin Forked
So don't send or receive peercoins til they fix the bug.
https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/issues/100
legendary
As long as it is a niche-experiment that is fine.
However, if we want to talk about mass adoption of ZEIT and being any alternative to fiat money, we have to reduce these requirements considerably.
I can't imagine 7 billion people with at least 1GB of RAM memory to do their everyday life, buy groceries for example. Could you?
Also using the argument that we are 'as bad as the other two competitors' is not the most fortunate, in my opinion. The goal should be to be at the other end of the curve, right? Don't understand me wrong, I am trying to bring some constructive criticism in here.

Moreover, it looks to me like the problem of massive blockchain when choosing 30s blocktime has been already seen at the time of designing ZEIT. that is why we have PoS age of 20 days, in order not to have to handle even more data.  

When we hit mass adoption , there will need to be a running Genesis Block, that drops off the old block chain at a timed interval, it is the only permanent solution.
Criticism is fine, but it is already something that is being watched. And the current fix like a chain swap can cause other issues which are just not worth the effort yet.
The comparison was just to show more coins than ZEIT use a gig of ram, and that eventually all coins will have those requirements,  you need to recognize Zeit is still very young, and we have one Amazing Dev Rent_A_Ray, but keyword one , something like a running genesis block will take a team of Devs. Not even BTC has achieved a running genesis block and they have the most devs and funding.
As far , as the 7 billion go , odds are a large majority of them will use online web wallets instead of running it themselves, and those web wallet providers will also provide a type of Zeit card services, so those users can buy groceries by swiping a card.

Moreover, it looks to me like the problem of massive blockchain when choosing 30s blocktime has been already seen at the time of designing ZEIT. that is why we have PoS age of 20 days, in order not to have to handle even more data.
Actually , I think they were unaware of the issue, which is why now you see a lot of new PoS coins with block times 2½ or 5 minutes trying to avoid large blockchains.
But the trade off of their higher block time is a smaller blockchain but a reduced ability to carry transactions once fully used.
Actually the 20 day age is to make sure the rich don't monopolize the minting process and give everyone a fair chance to stake.
Those coins with only a day or 2 age requirement are monopolized by the large stakeholder blocking out the little guy.
And that monopolized by the large stakeholder issue will also be a problem for the larger block times as they have a limited # of chances to stake.

Cool
uki
legendary
cryptojunk bag holder
My point is that, for a qt application and comparing with other wallets, 1GB of RAM is a lot of resources.
I understand that this is mainly due to the length of the blockchain - ZEIT has nearly 2 million blocks now, and that is by far the longest blockchain of all wallets I have.
But also by far the most resources consuming.
Let me say this, the wallet application won't be the only one, one wants to run in his/her OS.

Currently ZEIT, MINT, & HoboNickel all need ~1 gig of Ram apiece when running.
Price we all pay for 30 second block times. Sometime in 2016 Zeit will move to a 45 second block time.  
If no other solutions work well, before we need to take action, then a chain swap could clear up the issue for a few years.
Personally waiting to see if anyone gets close to a running Genesis block, that creates a new Genesis block every 2 or 3 years.
(That would be the best solution, but may be years away.)

Cool
As long as it is a niche-experiment that is fine.
However, if we want to talk about mass adoption of ZEIT and being any alternative to fiat money, we have to reduce these requirements considerably.
I can't imagine 7 billion people with at least 1GB of RAM memory to do their everyday life, buy groceries for example. Could you?
Also using the argument that we are 'as bad as the other two competitors' is not the most fortunate, in my opinion. The goal should be to be at the other end of the curve, right? Don't understand me wrong, I am trying to bring some constructive criticism in here.

legendary
My point is that, for a qt application and comparing with other wallets, 1GB of RAM is a lot of resources.
I understand that this is mainly due to the length of the blockchain - ZEIT has nearly 2 million blocks now, and that is by far the longest blockchain of all wallets I have.
Let me say this, the wallet application won't be the only one, one wants to run in his/her OS.

Currently ZEIT, MINT, & HoboNickel all need ~1 gig of Ram apiece when running.
Price we all pay for 30 second block times. Sometime in 2016 Zeit will move to a 45 second block time. 
If no other solutions work well, before we need to take action, then a chain swap could clear up the issue for a few years.
Personally waiting to see if anyone gets close to a running Genesis block, that creates a new Genesis block every 2 or 3 years.
(That would be the best solution, but may be years away.)

Cool

uki
legendary
cryptojunk bag holder
This is slowly getting unsustainable, to be fully honest.
As the blockchain progresses the wallet eats more and more RAM.
I remember we once discussed about introducing fixed checkpoints. Is this idea still around, or we gave up on it completely?

Sorry 1 gig of Ram is hardly unsustainable , considering to run Windows well , you want 4 to 8 gig of ram.
Rent_A_Ray adds new hard coded checkpoints with each release, but that should have no effect on ram requirements.

Cool

FYI:
We are monitoring different ways to lower memory requirements for the future, but we have a lot of time before any action is required.
legendary
keep wallet open all the time or not? not enough ram here apparently

Wallet Open all of the time :  Your Choice  Smiley

Minimum Ram required is 1 gig to run the wallet , if 1 gig of ram is all the system has,
Then only run the wallet when not using other apps, like at night.
Combine your Zeit up to 5 million Zeit per block , as the less blocks you have the less memory & CPU used.

2 gig & 4 gig systems should have no problems.

If you are getting an error message , post it along with Ram and OS version.

Cool
I remember we once discussed about introducing fixed checkpoints. Is this idea still around, or we gave up on it completely?

Sorry 1 gig of Ram is hardly unsustainable , considering to run Windows well , you want 4 to 8 gig of ram.
Rent_A_Ray adds new hard coded checkpoints with each release, but that should have no effect on ram requirements.

Cool

FYI:
We are monitoring different ways to lower memory requirements for the future, but we have a lot of time before any action is required.
uki
legendary
cryptojunk bag holder

Minimum Ram required is 1 gig to run the wallet , if 1 gig of ram is all the system has,
Combine your Zeit up to 5 million Zeit per block , as the less blocks you have the less memory & CPU used.

Cool
legendary

Combine your Zeit up to 5 million Zeit per block , as the less blocks you have the less CPU used.

Cool
legendary
legendary
what litoshi price of zeit is equivalent to 1 satoshi?

I use
http://www.cryptoconversions.com/converter/btc_usd.html
.00000001 BTC = 3.7866E-6

http://www.cryptoconversions.com/converter/ltc_usd.html
106 Litoshi = 3.776982036E-6 USD

At this moment 106 litoshi is closest to 1 sat .

Cool

FYI:
Zeit Converter
http://www.cryptoconversions.com/converter/zeit_usd.html

If you don't want to worry about conversion price use any of the following 3 markets ,  Cheesy
where you can place your orders at 1 satoshi.
https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Exchange?market=ZEIT_BTC
https://yobit.net/en/trade/ZEIT/BTC
https://www.southxchange.com/Market/Book/ZEIT/BTC
Activity: 319
Zeit = time;

just a sugestion but if ZIET network could become a bellwether for the exact time it might increase value.

You mean like having a clock displayed in the wallet which is linked to that atomic clock?

That's not a bad idea, although you would have to do this for all blocks.

This would let the user know how long they have to wait till they can start staking again.

Separate question tho,

what litoshi price of zeit is equivalent to 1 satoshi?
Jump to: