Pages:
Author

Topic: ZTEX USB-FPGA Modules 1.15x and 1.15y: 215 and 860 MH/s FPGA Boards - page 3. (Read 182348 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 500
i have fixed my problem, it was the PSU ... bought a Corsair and runs 5 boards with no problem.
ztex, do u plan to launch a new miner soon with stratum support?

Nice Smiley

Just Dl stratum Proxy from Slush. Point it towards your pool.

Btw why do we need stratum with fpgas?

i noticed some pools have higher fees if u use miner with getwork and lower fees if u use miner with stratum support, thats why i asked

Ah ok didn't notice that. You could simply use p2pool to get rid of high fees and be your own operator Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003
i have fixed my problem, it was the PSU ... bought a Corsair and runs 5 boards with no problem.

Nice Smiley

i noticed some pools have higher fees if u use miner with getwork and lower fees if u use miner with stratum support, thats why i asked

Nice Smiley

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Should be able to use bfgminer or stratum proxy surely Smiley
legendary
Activity: 350
you mean con2 Wink
con3 is the dc barrel plug....

They shutdown after the second board downloads the bitstream on the 4th fpga, just before it should say "added" by btcminer
Power is from the pci-e 12v lines only, and ground is from random blacks....(tried both pci'e and atx gnd's)

tried powering 2 boards from 1 yellow, and tried a yellow to each board...

Agree the 5v/3v loading is worth a shot before canning this psu

donator
Activity: 367
ZTEX FPGA Boards
hi all, i have 5 x 1.15y boards. i tested all boards one by one and they work. when i plug 2, the PSU shuts down.
PSU is a 650 W / 12V / 20A

12V * 20A  = 240W,  theoretically sufficient to power 5 1.15y FPGA Boards (approx. 200W).  But if the PSU shuts down that is an indication of over current.

A guide for using ATX supplies can be found at
http://wiki.ztex.de/doku.php?id=en:ztex_boards:ztex_fpga_boards:cluster_power_supplies#usb-fpga_modules_115ysmall_clusters

A few additional hints:
* only use the 12V wires (yellow) and GND wires (black)
* Use CON3, connect 2 GND wires and one 12V wire to the terminal block
* as larger the cluster is as more critical the GND resistance becomes (current through the USB cable, never use unshielded USB cables)
* do not split the wires

Another issue: There is a load step during/after FPGA configuration. BTCMiner configures the FPGA's serially and adds delays. So there shouldn't be any problem if you use this software. But if you are using different software which configures the FPGA's at the same time this may be a problem.

donator
Activity: 367
ZTEX FPGA Boards
Estimated lead time is 8-12 weeks.

Even for  PBC only option? or are those ready to ship?

Lead time for PCB's is 2-3 weeks.

Sorry if I missed that, but where do you take the 12V from the ATX power supply? The PCIe 6 pin connectors?

Or the big ATX 24 pin connector. This won't be enough.

Make sure you are using at least 16AWG cables. Check the 6 pin PCIe cables that were included with the power supply, it should say on them if they are 16AWG or 18AWG.

Which connector on the 1.15y boards are you using, the big 3 pin one or the normal 2 pin round DC socket?

He is using the three pin connector and the PCIe connectors.
Activity: 489
Immersionist
Sorry if I missed that, but where do you take the 12V from the ATX power supply? The PCIe 6 pin connectors?

Or the big ATX 24 pin connector. This won't be enough.

Make sure you are using at least 16AWG cables. Check the 6 pin PCIe cables that were included with the power supply, it should say on them if they are 16AWG or 18AWG.

Which connector on the 1.15y boards are you using, the big 3 pin one or the normal 2 pin round DC socket?

Have a look at this: http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/electron/elect62.htm

I know it is not mentioned on the ZTEX Homepage concerning using a PC PSU, but it is an issue that might explain your problems.

Somehow you must load the 3.3V and 5V, even if you choose a light-bulb from a car, such as the turn-indicator-lightbulb (12V 20W). Connect one to 5V and one to 3.3V. They won't shine bright, and sadly, they will get a little hot and use some energy, but they will perhaps prove that the missing load is your problem with this SPECIFIC PSU.

There do exist some PSUs for PCs that don't need a minimum load but your's looks like it does.

Because at 12V 20A ist should otherwise be able to handle 2 1.15y's.

i dont think i want that .. lol ... what should i do .. get another PSU ?

No maybe a small PC to mine litcoin or terracoin that handles the miner and maybe p2pool too;)
legendary

I know it is not mentioned on the ZTEX Homepage concerning using a PC PSU, but it is an issue that might explain your problems.

Somehow you must load the 3.3V and 5V, even if you choose a light-bulb from a car, such as the turn-indicator-lightbulb (12V 20W). Connect one to 5V and one to 3.3V. They won't shine bright, and sadly, they will get a little hot and use some energy, but they will perhaps prove that the missing load is your problem with this SPECIFIC PSU.

There do exist some PSUs for PCs that don't need a minimum load but your's looks like it does.

i dont think i want that .. lol ... what should i do .. get another PSU ?
Activity: 46
Merit: 0

legendary
Most fans use 5V, but CD and DVD is a good idea.

Stupid question: How are you turning on the Power of this ATX Power Supply? Have you installed a Switch?

i cut the green and black wire and put them together
Most fans use 5V, but CD and DVD is a good idea.

Stupid question: How are you turning on the Power of this ATX Power Supply? Have you installed a Switch?
pr just another device that uses other voltages than 12v.   DVD, or a FAN
legendary
Just connect any old unsused SATA HDD to the PSU. No need to connect it to the Laptop. Just connect the power of the HDD so that it uses some 5V power of the PSU. If you have one, I hope...

i dont ... i might have at my parents house a old IDD hdd .. lol ..
Just connect any old unsused SATA HDD to the PSU. No need to connect it to the Laptop. Just connect the power of the HDD so that it uses some 5V power of the PSU. If you have one, I hope...
legendary
either the spikes but more probably the missing basic load on 3.3 or 5V. The PSUs regulation is geared to those and 12V is probably not regulated well. Next thing to test is adding a SATA drive (which also uses some 5V, not just 12V).

i have the USB hub connected to a lappie (wich aint connected to same PSU), so i cant add a SATA ...
either the spikes but more probably the missing basic load on 3.3 or 5V. The PSUs regulation is geared to those and 12V is probably not regulated well. Next thing to test is adding a SATA drive (which also uses some 5V, not just 12V).
Pages:
Jump to: