Pages:
Author

Topic: [0 GH/s 0% fee SMPPS] ArsBitcoin mining pool! - page 28. (Read 123721 times)

Activity: 914
Merit: 500
Just moved my 700 Mhash/sec over from slush

FOR THE HORDE!  Grin
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
Here is an update on the PPLNS situation since I got some requests for an update on IRC, and people have been posting their opinions here.

A lot of people obviously like our current SMPPS system, and it hasn't caused anyone to leave even though we haven't been able to provide 100% payouts as fast as we used to.  However, I still want to consider PPLNS as I think it has some advantages over our current system.  This means I still want to finish implementing it and provide "simulated" PPLNS data even as we continue with SMPPS.  If people were wondering, the current plan would be to use N = difficulty * 2.

After we get a chance to see how it would work out, I can make a decision on whether or not to switch.

I currently don't have a good time estimate on all of this, as I have had work and some family events to keep me busy.

On a different note, we hit an all time hashrate high of 580 GH/s recently, and a 3 hour average high of 540 GH/s  Grin

Hooray!

A more important thing you could work on is the rate of stales.  I get way more stales in your pool than I do in others, and I don't know why, since I use the same mining software setup for all the pools I use.  Here's some stats all from August:

ars:
Lifetime Shares: 1158421
Lifetime Stale: 18984 (1.6124%)

ozcoin:
Lifetime Shares   179,035
Lifetime Stales   78
Total Stale Rate   0.044%

bitclockers:
Your Shares This Round: 20935 (Rejected: 38) = 0.1812%

For some reason I am getting 1.4% stales over and above what these other pools of similar size give me.  I don't claim to know why some pools would have higher stales than others, just pointing it out.  I use Phoenix and CGMiner, split between the two clients about half and half depending on which cards in the rig.

What mining software are you using? I was using Phoenix 1.5 on windows and it seems to drop the long polling after a while and that is was caused the higher stale rates. I then switch to cgminer 1.5.1 on windows and my stale rate is around 0.3%. I also am using BAMT with the latest phoenix 1.6.1 and stales are also very low on ars.
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
Fwiw I think the stales issue is related to the size of the respective pools. I don't know where the bottleneck is at ARS but it could be bitcoind providing work fast enough if they are not using a patched version (unlikely) or more likely its the software in between (I don't know what they're using - pushpool?) that is having to handle all the requests and record the outgoing work. Either optimising this, or alternately, creating multiple instances of this, should help.
donator
Activity: 289
Merit: 250
For some reason I am getting 1.4% stales over and above what these other pools of similar size give me.  I don't claim to know why some pools would have higher stales than others, just pointing it out.  I use Phoenix and CGMiner, split between the two clients about half and half depending on which cards in the rig.

Same experience for me: stales at ozco.in are much lower (an order of magnitude) than on ars

I've noticed that most of the stales happen immediately after the pool solves a block. Long-polling of other blocks solved seems to work much better.

Edit: I didn't get a single stale for the most recent block that was solved. So there's probably no correlation here.
Activity: 332
Here is an update on the PPLNS situation since I got some requests for an update on IRC, and people have been posting their opinions here.

A lot of people obviously like our current SMPPS system, and it hasn't caused anyone to leave even though we haven't been able to provide 100% payouts as fast as we used to.  However, I still want to consider PPLNS as I think it has some advantages over our current system.  This means I still want to finish implementing it and provide "simulated" PPLNS data even as we continue with SMPPS.  If people were wondering, the current plan would be to use N = difficulty * 2.

After we get a chance to see how it would work out, I can make a decision on whether or not to switch.

I currently don't have a good time estimate on all of this, as I have had work and some family events to keep me busy.

On a different note, we hit an all time hashrate high of 580 GH/s recently, and a 3 hour average high of 540 GH/s  Grin

Hooray!

A more important thing you could work on is the rate of stales.  I get way more stales in your pool than I do in others, and I don't know why, since I use the same mining software setup for all the pools I use.  Here's some stats all from August:

ars:
Lifetime Shares: 1158421
Lifetime Stale: 18984 (1.6124%)

ozcoin:
Lifetime Shares   179,035
Lifetime Stales   78
Total Stale Rate   0.044%

bitclockers:
Your Shares This Round: 20935 (Rejected: 38) = 0.1812%

For some reason I am getting 1.4% stales over and above what these other pools of similar size give me.  I don't claim to know why some pools would have higher stales than others, just pointing it out.  I use Phoenix and CGMiner, split between the two clients about half and half depending on which cards in the rig.
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
142,448   3   myminer   34,679   08-24 23:45

Activity: 207
Oh, and I've noticed a few recent donations to the pool address: 1KAwU7iChcihVw4GMqz7heGF4wC8Q98fsc.  Thank you whoever you are! Smiley

Yup. I did the same thing for Folding@Home, back in the day, haha.
Activity: 566
if i do that, i could mine at any pool.

hmmm....
thanks for the info!

i'll check back periodically for this.

Hypothetically, you could set up a SOCKS proxy server at your house, on port 80, and use Proxifier or FreeCap to forward all the traffic to.

I do something semi similar; I have a local server running a SOCKS server on the public DSL (rest of the network is corporate), and use Proxifier on the machines running poclbm to direct that application traffic there. Works quite well.
thanks for the info!

i'll check back periodically for this.
do you guys offer mining on port 80?

gotta work around the firewall here at the office   Grin

No, we don't support this at the moment.  I haven't looked into setting it up yet.
I feel pretty stupid now  Wink  Thanks for the quick response.

Nah, I really need to have a glossary, or mouse-over tooltips that explain each item since this is a system that is different from most other pools.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Unpaid work goes up with each share submitted by the current PPS value.  It always goes up, it can't go down.
Paid work goes up whenever your Unpaid work > Paid work, and the pool has BTC to pay you.  This means that paid work can't go down either, only up.
When BTC gets added to "paid work", it also gets added to your "current balance."

This current balance is where you can actually take BTC payouts from.  So your case of paid work increasing is very normal and expected.  The total payout you have actually sent to your BTC address is tracked in a different place.  Here you can see all transactions out of your account.  Your "paid work" should be equal to your 'Current Balance' plus the Total Sent on the bottom of the following link.
https://arsbitcoin.com/payoutHistory.php

I feel pretty stupid now  Wink  Thanks for the quick response.
Unpaid work goes up with each share submitted by the current PPS value.  It always goes up, it can't go down.
Paid work goes up whenever your Unpaid work > Paid work, and the pool has BTC to pay you.  This means that paid work can't go down either, only up.
When BTC gets added to "paid work", it also gets added to your "current balance."

This current balance is where you can actually take BTC payouts from.  So your case of paid work increasing is very normal and expected.  The total payout you have actually sent to your BTC address is tracked in a different place.  Here you can see all transactions out of your account.  Your "paid work" should be equal to your 'Current Balance' plus the Total Sent on the bottom of the following link.

https://arsbitcoin.com/payoutHistory.php
legendary
Activity: 1876
BurningToad,
  Firstly let me compliment you on a great, simple easy to use website.  No fancy HTML to get in the way. Plenty of data and information that is easy to find.  Simple links that just go to a page that can be refreshed with the f5 key.  Easy to read tabular data. (tables are not a bad thing, this is what the

I do have a question about one of my stats. (please anyone jump in that knows the answer)

My  'Paid Work:'  is 1.54464874 BTC,  but yesterday it was    1.41566717.  I have only taken one payout since I started, so how did the pad work change from 1.4 to 1.5 ?

I dont really care about 10 centabits, but I just want to make sure my Bitcoin Payment Address did not get comprimised.

Thank you.
do you guys offer mining on port 80?

gotta work around the firewall here at the office   Grin
Activity: 332
you still have less negative buffer than Eligius SMPPS.
lol? Eligius has a huge positive buffer. I don't see it going negative any time soon.

I'm sure he's referring to the payment backlog.  The difference between having to wait for several future blocks because of a payment queue vs having to wait for several future blocks because of an SMPPS credit/negative buffer is largely semantics.  Both amount to having to wait to get paid.  And currently the wait at Ars is much less than the wait at Eligius (which was his point).

It's kinda hard to find the relevant info on Eligius.  I tried to figure out when I'd get paid if I started mining at Eligius and it wasn't 100% straightforward, but I could tell it would take longer.  Ars is much better, it has the buffer clearly displayed on the pool stats page.  If Eligius has a comparable stats page, I couldn't find it.

I hope that even after PPLNS is implemented, it will be an option #2 for miners, so we can choose which payout system to use.
Activity: 119
THIS is the way to run a bitcoin PPS pool. Thank you! +1 from me!
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org