Author

Topic: [1200 TH] EMC: 0 Fee DGM. Anonymous PPS. US & EU servers. No Registration! - page 122. (Read 499602 times)

legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
Blocks this long aren't that uncommon.  They've been 24+ hours before.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
17hr BTC block? is it legit or is it stuck again?!
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
ARG WTH!

I will get that fixed sorry about that. 
Thanks. Confirming it's fixed.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
16+ hour blocks sucks balls.

That is all.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
ARG WTH!

I will get that fixed sorry about that. 
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
Something is dreadfully wrong with Namecoin.  I am going to be swapping out the wallet and blockchain today and see if that resolves the issue.  If it does not, then the namecoin block chain itself is broken, which seems unlikely.

Can't wait to receive my negative NMC bonus.  Lips sealed

legendary
Something is dreadfully wrong with Namecoin.  I am going to be swapping out the wallet and blockchain today and see if that resolves the issue.  If it does not, then the namecoin block chain itself is broken, which seems unlikely.
Vbs
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
But... but... that Wikipedia example was soooooooo staring at me! Grin
I'd be toast if I quoted from Wikipedia for a research paper. As in "really burnt" toast. Tongue

I'm also no expert at probabilities, but I did have to chew a good dosage of stochastic processes while finishing college (EE) Smiley

I'm not very good at stats, but this discussion falls under the heading of something that I understand which was the reason for my very first comment Smiley

And you were right on the money! Grin
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Not necessary - and also somewhat pointless quoting content from the Wikipedia.
Wikipedia is only as accurate as whoever happened to write the content or last edit it ...
My reference was only for the sake of naming the fallacy Smiley
(though your quote is valid, it's a bad idea to quote something from the wikipedia)

Assuming Math Man is doing actuarial studies, he should know a lot more about statistics than the contents of that page and leave it to him to argue with Meni who also clearly knows a lot of statistics theory if you have read any of the bitcoin statistical analysis he has done.

I'm not very good at stats, but this discussion falls under the heading of something that I understand which was the reason for my very first comment Smiley
(blame those damn nonce ranges for that Tongue)
Vbs
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
A pic is in order Grin

"Simulation of coin tosses: Each frame, a coin is flipped which is red on one side and blue on the other. The result of each flip is added as a colored dot in the corresponding column. As the pie chart shows, the proportion of red versus blue approaches 50-50 (the Law of Large Numbers). But the difference between red and blue does not systematically decrease to zero." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamblers_fallacy)
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

I agree with kano. The Gambler's Fallacy isn't restricted to just discrete cases. It's exactly what you described - the belief that recent bad luck increases the chances of good luck. For independent events (such as finding blocks) this is false. The LLN doesn't work by anticorrelating proximate events, and the fallacious belief that it does is, once again, the gambler's fallacy.

Meni,

I know exactly what you are getting at, and that is not what I intended with my original statement.  I should have been more explicit what I was referring to.  You're and kano are reading into what I said in one way, I meant it another.  

As our average shares per block is significantly higher than the expected value, over the next X blocks, where X is arbitrarily "large", our average shares will tend toward the median.  The only way for that to happen is to have rounds whose total shares are near or below the median.  That's why now is a good time to mine here for the next X blocks.

I wasn't talking about this block, or the next, or the one after, etc. in my original statement.  I talking about the next X blocks, even though I wasn't explicit in saying that.

Now, seriously.  I'm done.  I need to study.
I'm sorry, but this is still wrong.

Yes, there will be rounds whose total shares are below the median. No, the frequency of such rounds over the next X blocks is not affected whatsoever by the fact that we've had recently some rounds with total shares above the median. No, now is not a better time to mine here than any other.

It is instructive to understand that while (number of occurences / number of attempts) approaches the probability of occurrence for n->Infinity, (number of occurences - expected number of occurrences) does not approach 0, rather it increases in absolute variance for larger n.

You don't need to discuss this further if you don't want. Either you take my word for it or, when you have the time, read up on the matter, gain some experience, run simulations etc.

Man nice run of blocks
I know, right!?  99.95%, 99.99%, 98.24%, all in a row.  Keep 'em coming!
Let's not, the share ratio is way off. Although I did get 10% of the shares on 1 block. Hard to see the effect on payouts with dgm. It's pretty clear on the namecoin blocks though.
Forget the share ratio. For every block found you get rewarded for shares you submitted in the past. In other words, more blocks per time unit = more money.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Man nice run of blocks
Let's not, the share ratio is way off. Although I did get 10% of the shares on 1 block. Hard to see the effect on payouts with dgm. It's pretty clear on the namecoin blocks though.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Man nice run of blocks
Activity: 271
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
I Was about to say, this is some of the hugest variance Ive ever seen on a pool =P 3 blocks back to back...man rofl!
legendary
Yeah, there were a couple stuck blocks, and there is still a stuck NMC block I'm trying to figure out.  Something isn't quite right with NMC, and I can't figure out if it's the blockchain or the wallet - likely the later. 
Activity: 392
I guess are bad luck was not as bad as it seemed. Looks like the same issue as before.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100

I agree with kano. The Gambler's Fallacy isn't restricted to just discrete cases. It's exactly what you described - the belief that recent bad luck increases the chances of good luck. For independent events (such as finding blocks) this is false. The LLN doesn't work by anticorrelating proximate events, and the fallacious belief that it does is, once again, the gambler's fallacy.

Meni,

I know exactly what you are getting at, and that is not what I intended with my original statement.  I should have been more explicit what I was referring to.  You're and kano are reading into what I said in one way, I meant it another.  

As our average shares per block is significantly higher than the expected value, over the next X blocks, where X is arbitrarily "large", our average shares will tend toward the median.  The only way for that to happen is to have rounds whose total shares are near or below the median.  That's why now is a good time to mine here for the next X blocks.

I wasn't talking about this block, or the next, or the one after, etc. in my original statement.  I talking about the next X blocks, even though I wasn't explicit in saying that.

Now, seriously.  I'm done.  I need to study.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
Its me, Im bad luck Im telling ya, but I love this pool! LOL

And where did all the crazy hashrate come from the last 10hrs?!?!?!?!?

I believe the jump in hash rate is due to hoppers calculating that there's a high probability of us finding blocks.  In other words, we're so down on our luck that there's bound to be a bright future.
Or more correctly known as ... Gambler's Fallacy Smiley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamblers_fallacy

No,  not really. I was referring more to the law of large numbers.
The numbers aren't large, it's Gambler's Fallacy.

The Gambler's fallacy is more concerned with discrete cases or the following event.  That was not my original point, and you are mistaking my intentions with a completely separate idea.

Don't let the "large" in the name of the law fool you.  The law of large numbers doesn't depend upon what you may think is a "large" number.  In fact, the largeness is arbitrary.  The law of large numbers simply states that "as the number of trials of a random process increases, the percentage difference between the expected and actual values goes to zero,"  

If you really want to continue this debate, we can do so via PM.  Although, this is about all I'm going to say about this for a while.  I have an actuarial exam that I'm studying for.  So, don't expect an immediate response from me.
I agree with kano. The Gambler's Fallacy isn't restricted to just discrete cases. It's exactly what you described - the belief that recent bad luck increases the chances of imminent good luck. For independent events (such as finding blocks) this is false. The way the LLN works is not by anticorrelating proximate events, and the fallacious belief that it is is, once again, the gambler's fallacy.

Of course, regardless of how you call it, the premise - that now is a better time to mine because we haven't found a block for a while - is wrong, and if it was true, the pool would be hoppable.

You could also read up on Memorylessness.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Its me, Im bad luck Im telling ya, but I love this pool! LOL

And where did all the crazy hashrate come from the last 10hrs?!?!?!?!?

I believe the jump in hash rate is due to hoppers calculating that there's a high probability of us finding blocks.  In other words, we're so down on our luck that there's bound to be a bright future.
Or more correctly known as ... Gambler's Fallacy Smiley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamblers_fallacy

No,  not really. I was referring more to the law of large numbers.
The numbers aren't large, it's Gambler's Fallacy.

The Gambler's fallacy is more concerned with discrete cases or the following event.  That was not my original point, and you are mistaking my intentions with a completely separate idea.

Don't let the "large" in the name of the law fool you.  The law of large numbers doesn't depend upon what you may think is a "large" number.  In fact, the largeness is arbitrary.  The law of large numbers simply states that "as the number of trials of a random process increases, the percentage difference between the expected and actual values goes to zero," 

If you really want to continue this debate, we can do so via PM.  Although, this is about all I'm going to say about this for a while.  I have an actuarial exam that I'm studying for.  So, don't expect an immediate response from me.
Yes I do know what an Actuary is - so saying you are, makes me wonder if you will pass based on your original comment Smiley
If I remember correctly back when I was at university, the students in stats that were doing actuarial studies had to get distinction level grades or they failed.
Jump to: