Pages:
Author

Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2) - page 38. (Read 146909 times)

legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
not sure if this had been posted yet

I saw this picture the first time. Where do you have this picture from?

I think this is the 'Rev B' board; the one with the beefed up power supply.
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
I already quoted and responded to that shit...

Verified.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
"Sales tax will be added if shipped within the United States of America." So what is the American tax rate these clowns are charging anyway?

Try asking them.
There is no such thing as United States Sales Tax. It does not exist, kind of like the products they list on the page.

Hey I see what you did there,  that's really clever.

As for the sales tax, I'm not from the US and I understand perfectly well what they mean.  

See what else you can come up with.   Really lacklustre effort so far.

You aren't from the US and have no fucking clue how sales tax works, apparently.

Explain it Simon.

What do they mean?

e: Someone quote this so mongoloid83 sees it.

Witnessed.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
"Sales tax will be added if shipped within the United States of America." So what is the American tax rate these clowns are charging anyway?

Try asking them.
There is no such thing as United States Sales Tax. It does not exist, kind of like the products they list on the page.

Hey I see what you did there,  that's really clever.

As for the sales tax, I'm not from the US and I understand perfectly well what they mean.  

See what else you can come up with.   Really lacklustre effort so far.

You aren't from the US and have no fucking clue how sales tax works, apparently.

Explain it Simon.

What do they mean?

e: Someone quote this so mongoloid83 sees it.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Okay, tough guy, how'z about: 2x IC CYCLONE III FPGA 55K 780FBGA, at $181/ea that's the right price range.

You do understand that is only 55K logic units right?

A spartan 6 with 150K (3x as many LUT) only gets about 200 MH/s.  55K Luts isn't enough for a single unrolled bitstream but lets pretend it is.  To acheive 800 MH/s = 400 MH/s per chip on an unrolled bitstream would require the chip to run at 400 Mhz. 
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

You see in my first column, all the calculations are in individual hashes, so all is accurate.

No it is WRONG.  Not sure how you can't figure this out.

You see 838,860,800 hash/s is the actual rate for BF singles used in the calculation, I translated the 800 mibihashes/s (2^20).

No the hashrate is 832,000,000 hash/s as reported by BFL.

There are many places around Bitcoin where the "computer" MiB, GiB are used - bitcoincharts' network hashrate, for example; lots of stuff is written by coders for coders, so 2^10 is used instead of 10^3, even when it doesn't make much sense.

Nope.  They use 10^3.  It only makes sense to use binary prefixes when the base unit is 2. For example storage & memory.

Speed, throughput, clock rate are universally base 10.

1 Mhz = 1 million hertz
1 MH/s = 1 million hashes per second
1 Mbps = 1 million bits per seconds
1 MFlop = 1 million floating point calculations per second
1 Mpixel = 1 million pixels
1 Megahash = 1 million hashes

Some actual examples since this seems to be hard for you to believe.

If you own a 1 Ghz CPU it doesn't run at 2^30 hertz.  It runs at 1000^3 hertz.  1,000,000,000 hertz
If you have a 1 Mbps connection.  It doesn't handle 2^20 bits every second.  It handles 1000^2 bits per second.  1,000,000 bits per second.
It you buy a 1 megapixel camera.  It doesn't have 2^20 pixels.  It has 1000^2 pixels.  1,000,000
If the estimate for the Bitcoin network is 1 TH/s it isn't 2^40 hashes.  It is 1000^4 hashes. 1,000,000,000,000 hashes.

On edit: fixed 10 vs 1000 typo (brain fart).
Activity: 406
Merit: 257
Well, if that's your guess... I could tell you what that's *very* unlikely, but... meh.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
Yeah, a FF784 package on a FF780 footprint. right.
While we're making random shit up, EP3SL70 or 110 (can't see any way to fit 120 rounds in a SL50, even 64 single-stage rounds is pushing it).

Okay, tough guy, how'z about: 2x IC CYCLONE III FPGA 55K 780FBGA, at $181/ea that's the right price range.

http://www.buyaltera.com/scripts/partsearch.dll?Detail&name=544-2515-ND

fpga layout of the via's under the BFL chip look similar to the Altera FPGA board:
http://www.hdl.co.jp/en/spc/ACM/acm-022/PCB-ACM022A-A.pdf
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722

Ok, I'm not familiar with all those FPGAs, but can someone estimate what would be the cost of setting it up to run mining software?
For 1 unit, 10 units,100 units and 1000 units, please.
Activity: 406
Merit: 257
Yeah, a FF784 package on a FF780 footprint. right.
While we're making random shit up, EP3SL70 or 110 (can't see any way to fit 120 rounds in a SL50, even 64 single-stage rounds is pushing it).
Activity: 518
Looking at the circuit board and not investing a whole bunch of time, it looks like this is the likely chipset:

$487
Xilinx
XC6VCX75T-1FFG784C
FPGA Virtex®-6 CXT Family 74496 Cells 40nm (CMOS) Technology 1V 784-Pin FCBGA

Package    784FCBGA
Family Name    Virtex®-6 CXT
Device Logic Units    74496
Number of Registers    93120
Typical Operating Supply Voltage    1 V
Maximum Number of User I/Os    360
RAM Bits    5750784

The spec sheet for current draw also might make one think it would draw around ~22w...
And they make money using this?

Can't be this because it has to be 2 of them chips I think.
Activity: 349
Looking at the circuit board and not investing a whole bunch of time, it looks like this is the likely chipset:

$487
Xilinx
XC6VCX75T-1FFG784C

The spec sheet for current draw also might make one think it would draw around ~22w...
And they make money using this?
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
asked for a refund from Sonny and got it back the next day. If this is a con, it must be for the long haul.

It's referred to as a "long con".
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036

$487
Xilinx
XC6VCX75T-1FFG784C

Package    784FCBGA
Family Name    Virtex®-6 CXT
Device Logic Units    74496
Number of Registers    93120
Typical Operating Supply Voltage    1 V
Maximum Number of User I/Os    360
RAM Bits    5750784

Activity: 217
Merit: 100
asked for a refund from Sonny and got it back the next day. If this is a con, it must be for the long haul.
Activity: 360

I saw this picture the first time. Where do you have this picture from?
Activity: 107
Merit: 10

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
anyone considered that they owe you money for not delivering on time?
its not just that you didnt get the rig itself - they are actually preventing you from mining
If the chips were deliverd on time you would have had already mined quite a lot of bitcoins by now to cover the cost of the systems.
Each month of their delay in delivery of a 50GHash rig costs you 1K BTC = ~5Kusd
Each month of their delay in delivery of a 830MHash rig costs you 17BTC = ~85usd

(the 50Ghash rig looks like something that will burst into flames when you plug it in. Home electric heaters are ~1-2KWatt. this rig is 2.5Kwatt)
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Try asking them.

Hey I see what you did there,  that's really clever.

See what else you can come up with.   Really lacklustre effort so far.
Activity: 456

Try asking them.

now thats funny!
Pages:
Jump to: