Pages:
Author

Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator - page 17. (Read 73496 times)

Activity: 729
Merit: 114
December 14, 2018, 09:36:54 PM
No rumors of a lawsuit for lack of a miner to be provided. ( I meant mining software )

They had all those acceleration numbers posted in June or July.

They never demo'd an acorn  and no proof that an acorn could do those claims.

I feel lawsuits are coming.

To be fair if the gear can do as claimed maybe ohGodaGirl  fucked him hard and is refusing to give him the software to make it so.

I think she wanted more money for that software he said no and figured they could write it.  So far a real beating to those that purchased the gear.

My thanks to mfurman and his constant attacks on discord I know he is why I bailed out and saved myself 800 usd.

I wonder how many others bailed due to his constant questioning.

Hats off to mfurman!

Hey if ohGodaGirl is holding up the software someone can email me so I will know it is true.

I am still positive about the miner release.  But for the performance numbers I have no clue if it would hold up.
The sad thing is all this while status on SQRL miner was -> when Acorns are done and delivered.  Now, it's been a month that's happened and no news on miner just some teasers.  No benefit to early adopters  Grin

What are you going to do if they release it and you find out that the performance numbers are just bogus???

I understand the concept and at least there will be power savings if not hashrate boost.  Optimizations will take time and might lag behind the gpu only miners.

btw quote from discord,

GPUHoarderToday at 19:38
I haven’t been very active in here because it has become troll infected (really? We’ve collected $20+M from people and shipped thousands of products, tried to go above and beyond at every chance we can, but we’re gonna pull a no-show scam at the last minute over a piece of software? For what? Couple hundred thousand in acorn sales? That doesn’t even cover a month of our team’s salary.   Get out of here with that bull*hit. ) progress is good - there was IP involved in SQRL miner that was owned by Mineority, I can’t discuss that in detail (with all the legal action, it makes it really hard to give detailed updates) but I can say I believe that hurdle is cleared. Our favorite silly ZP miner got integrated into SQRL miner today. There are updated Linux drivers and Windows drivers in testing now. There will more updates and releases next week - no shut down here.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
December 14, 2018, 08:12:49 PM
So, they are US company? A class lawsuit can easily bury them.

It is why I think that ohGodaGirl  may be the villainess and not squirrels.

But all I am doing is guessing an explanation as to why they don't have software and never proved software works.

I bailed when mfurman asked over and over and over for software and was treated poorly.

kudos to him I hope he got multiple people to bail.

I also hope oHGodaGirl is the villainess and that someone gets new working software for this gear.

Good luck to all of you waiting .
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
December 14, 2018, 07:33:35 PM
So, they are US company? A class lawsuit can easily bury them.
Activity: 42
December 14, 2018, 07:28:52 PM
BTW.....

They are now selling the Acorns on Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/s?merchant=A1L1FGLTSY1HA4

December 14, 2018, 07:14:36 PM
No rumors of a lawsuit for lack of a miner to be provided. ( I meant mining software )

To be fair if the gear can do as claimed maybe ohGodaGirl  fucked him hard and is refusing to give him the software to make it so.

I think she wanted more money for that software he said no and figured they could write it.  So far a real beating to those that purchased the gear.

My thanks to mfurman and his constant attacks on discord I know he is why I bailed out and saved myself 800 usd.

Hats off to mfurman!

Hey if ohGodaGirl is holding up the software someone can email me so I will know it is true.

I am still positive about the miner release.  But for the performance numbers I have no clue if it would hold up.
The sad thing is all this while status on SQRL miner was -> when Acorns are done and delivered.  Now, it's been a month that's happened and no news on miner just some teasers.  No benefit to early adopters  Grin

What are you going to do if they release it and you find out that the performance numbers are just bogus???
December 14, 2018, 06:48:11 PM

Hats off to mfurman!

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
December 14, 2018, 02:44:45 PM

Hats off to mfurman!

December 14, 2018, 01:49:12 PM
Has anyone received the CLEs yet? or has there been any updates on shipping dates, etc? we're dying to try them out
The Acorn CLE? Yeah I have a 215+ almost everyone has received theirs I'm pretty sure. The issue is waiting for more bitstreams and the SQRL miner that has the GPU acceleration. Right now we are just waiting

TL;DR
it's available for purchase and in stock but isn't usable.
Activity: 10
December 14, 2018, 12:57:41 PM
Has anyone received the CLEs yet? or has there been any updates on shipping dates, etc? we're dying to try them out
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
December 14, 2018, 09:05:57 AM
also gpuhoarder mentioned currently there are not a lot of fpga coders out there. and the money for their time is not worth it for proprietary stuff compared to a 4% dev fee times 5000 bcu, maybe a thousand cvps, and another thousand vcu.

in short, right now its generally more profitable to release for the allmine shell at 4%
I figure that bistreams will end up being sold, it's about that hardware circulation. The more hardware in the hands of users the more that individual bitstream will be in demand. I figure it will be like how Wolf0 sold bins.

agreed. private bitstreams will be for sale, most likely to anyone who wants it. ie no (or very very few) one off totally custom super bitstreams that only large farms will get. those private bitstreams for sale to the general public will be better than the public ones, at least at the start. so depending on the farm loadout it may be worth it. i never had enough gear to make gpu private miners pay off although i never looked into it that much.
legendary
December 14, 2018, 07:26:16 AM

Yeah, its this whole propritary "bitstream" thing that turns me off to these for the most part. That and the overhyped and underdelivered software. And I was so close to wanting to believe in this...
Proprietary bitstreams? Wait are you upset about how bitstreams work in general or do you not understand that anyone can release a bitstream for the devices?

once additional reason for getting fpgas was something to learn and possible code for. and as such devices come on line there will be more coders writing bitsteams for them.

i figure in about 10 years i will be good enough to make a led blink on a fpga dev kit.

also gpuhoarder mentioned currently there are not a lot of fpga coders out there. and the money for their time is not worth it for proprietary stuff compared to a 4% dev fee times 5000 bcu, maybe a thousand cvps, and another thousand vcu.

in short, right now its generally more profitable to release for the allmine shell at 4%
December 14, 2018, 06:07:45 AM
Any update?

Of course not... On the Discord channel, they show some screen shots of a miner but of course not video of a working model....
Activity: 33
December 14, 2018, 02:04:22 AM
Any update?
Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
December 12, 2018, 03:13:21 AM
I completely agree  with what philipma1957 said. I also took a refund. I can only say that I was almost crucified on GPUHoarder Discord (by all the people posting) when I kept asking to see SQRL Miner and test it before Acorn was released.

You were "almost crucified" not because you asked, but because you never stopped asking at least daily, along with a dozen (or more) others, sometimes only a few messages above yours. Then you kept asking after you requested and received a refund.  After a while it gets old.

Perhaps if others insisted to see SQRL miner and it had been released, we would have known earlier about the problems. It is still not out. I am surprised that you think that it is normal.

On another note (although related), have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNy5Ta5ccNg&t=1s

Never said that I thought it was normal, but for me it was not unexpected given the nature of the project. I bought into the project knowing full well that it might fail. It was a way to dip my toes into the FPGA world for far less than the available FPGA cards available at the time.

I haven't seen that video.
Activity: 338
Merit: 251
December 12, 2018, 02:10:28 AM
Don't forget that you need to get the bitstream from the devs with time to roi as well.

sure, we get ours after all the farms that pay for private bitstreams and regulars guys in secret bitstream clubs are done. then after that, the pions like me will get the public bitstreams, just in time for reletive scraps..

IOW, same old same old but now with fpgas.

Yeah, its this whole propritary "bitstream" thing that turns me off to these for the most part. That and the overhyped and underdelivered software. And I was so close to wanting to believe in this...
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
December 11, 2018, 10:51:41 PM
Don't forget that you need to get the bitstream from the devs with time to roi as well.

sure, we get ours after all the farms that pay for private bitstreams and regulars guys in secret bitstream clubs are done. then after that, the pions like me will get the public bitstreams, just in time for reletive scraps..

legendary
December 11, 2018, 10:27:24 PM

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
December 11, 2018, 09:15:10 PM
last bull run gpus were almost impossible to get. and thats with nvidia and amd shoveling them out the door as fast as they could. if this happens again.. well there are a lot less fpgas to be had than there were gpus. having a few fpgas and knowing their limitations, strengths and needs will make a big difference. try building a good fpga or fpga boosted gpu based system without knowing what they need or how they function.. have fun. sure guides for noobs will come out but too late for many.

Ya but what about the fact that most coin dev's are doing what they can to keep asic and fpga's off their chain fpga's will never be a decentralized miner until one come's out that don't cost $4000-$5000 especially right now once they start flooding the chain profits are going to be shit and it'll take 10 years to ROI

fpgas will come down in price, i mean an midrange acorn is what $300? ..cheap to get your fpga feet wet. and as for the race against devs changing algos.. well algos need a lot of testing, you dont just whip something up and risk the future of a coin on some new algo thats possibly faulty or can be gamed.

in a race between fpga coders vs devs coming up with algo after algo? ill bet on the fpga coders. if my bet is wrong.. oh well.

legendary
December 11, 2018, 04:06:33 PM
last bull run gpus were almost impossible to get. and thats with nvidia and amd shoveling them out the door as fast as they could. if this happens again.. well there are a lot less fpgas to be had than there were gpus. having a few fpgas and knowing their limitations, strengths and needs will make a big difference. try building a good fpga or fpga boosted gpu based system without knowing what they need or how they function.. have fun. sure guides for noobs will come out but too late for many.

Ya but what about the fact that most coin dev's are doing what they can to keep asic and fpga's off their chain fpga's will never be a decentralized miner until one come's out that don't cost $4000-$5000 especially right now once they start flooding the chain profits are going to be shit and it'll take 10 years to ROI

fpgas will come down in price, i mean an midrange acorn is what $300? ..cheap to get your fpga feet wet. and as for the race against devs changing algos.. well algos need a lot of testing, you dont just whip something up and risk the future of a coin on some new algo thats possibly faulty or can be gamed.

in a race between fpga coders vs devs coming up with algo after algo? ill bet on the fpga coders. if my bet is wrong.. oh well.
Activity: 906
Merit: 507
December 11, 2018, 03:18:55 PM
those who bought and kept them knew the risk when we rolled the dice. and the dice are still rolling. software will come out. as for roi, if i lose 99% of what i put in, oh well. it was an amount i was willing to lose. annoying for sure, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Definitely agree it's a bet to have the ultimate hedge, and at even $~$300 it was a cheap bet. It's at minimum a great tool to learn as we all can see the writing on the wall, fpga is the future of most mining. If this just teaches me how to load bitstreams and configure them I much rather do it on $300 hardware before I do it on $5000+ hardware.

agreed. i think fpga, with or without gpu assist, is minings future, and fpga are different beasts with different rig requirements. and if/when the next bear run occurs, those that understand how the tech runs will be ahead. $300 for an acorn to get in the game now and start learning is a no brainer to me.

Pages:
Jump to: