Pages:
Author

Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator - page 14. (Read 73496 times)

Activity: 729
Merit: 114
January 02, 2019, 12:00:01 PM
Well I bailed but let’s look at it from the more expensive end the BCu FPGA s

They were delivered do they have a lot of bitstreams that are worth while?

They are a lot more expensive. Do they have good bitstream options.

I don't understand how's that relevant to Acorn in discussion here Huh.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
January 02, 2019, 11:46:11 AM
are they real ?

Squirrels Research Labs (SQRL) is a sister company of Squirrels LLC under the Squirrels Inc. umbrella. SQRL focuses on hardware development and research projects that contribute to the overall success of the Squirrels brand.

SQRL is building the next generation of cryptocurrency mining hardware. Think mega hash rate, high performance and low power. By using a different approach to mining using FPGA-based hardware, we’re able to make existing GPU-based mining rigs competitive against ASIC alternatives.

In addition to accelerating existing GPU systems, SQRL is developing standalone FPGA-based hardware that, unlike ASIC hardware, is resistant to algorithm changes.

Current production includes the Acorn cryptocurrency accelerator, and future devices are already in development.

Find Us
121 Wilbur Dr Ne
North Canton, OH 44720
United States
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 02, 2019, 11:39:54 AM
I think it definitely delayed things, I think they had an optimization ohGodagirl held up and it needs to be removed from each bitstream. VHL source code for FPGA is extremely specific and a change like that could cause a recoding on all of the units for each algorithm which I think is almost done for at least one or two algorithms. They moved the goalpost and are saying the SQRL miner will come early this year (like possibly this week) but as a beta with just a few algorithms and less than max possible increase. I am pretty sure they are working on just finishing up ethash and possibly another another algo and just will push it out to calm the community while they work on getting them all fixed from Ohgodagirls optimization.

ogag optimization was never a part of initial sqrl miner release.  It was planned for later releases so it makes no sense that was the reason for the delay. 
When SQRL miner and Acorn was launched the ogag optimization wasn't even in the consideration.

The delay hasn't been anything unexpected. I think SQRL is a good team but they took more on their plate. I still don't consider the product is delivered since I can't use it.

I don't get the misleading specs on the webpage too
http://www.squirrelsresearch.com/acorn-cle-215-plus/

ALGORITHMS
 ETHASH  CRYPTONIGHT V1  LYRA2REV2  X16R

It doesn't do any of those and that should be a disclaimer.

Mineority had IP in SQRL miner, GPUH needed permission to use it or write it out of the code. OGAG said she gave him permission, but took a long time.

Didn't all that happen after the Acorn and SQRL miner launch?
What I am trying to point out is the dependency on ogag optimization shouldn't have been the "only" cause of delay. 

In my opinion, SQRL miner would compose of 3 major pieces,
FPGA bitstream for Acorn, SW stack for GPU mining portion and SW interface for the FPGA and GPU to talk to each other w/wo host CPU + the poolside comms code.

From what I understand ogag optimization would be only part of the 2nd piece here.  Or was there something else that was shared earlier?

Also, ogag optimization would be for GPU end is what I know of, SQRL miner major portion would be Acorn FPGA bitstream and

Well I bailed but let’s look at it from the more expensive end the BCu FPGA s

They were delivered do they have a lot of bitstreams that are worth while?

They are a lot more expensive. Do they have good bitstream options.
January 02, 2019, 11:25:31 AM
I think it definitely delayed things, I think they had an optimization ohGodagirl held up and it needs to be removed from each bitstream. VHL source code for FPGA is extremely specific and a change like that could cause a recoding on all of the units for each algorithm which I think is almost done for at least one or two algorithms. They moved the goalpost and are saying the SQRL miner will come early this year (like possibly this week) but as a beta with just a few algorithms and less than max possible increase. I am pretty sure they are working on just finishing up ethash and possibly another another algo and just will push it out to calm the community while they work on getting them all fixed from Ohgodagirls optimization.

ogag optimization was never a part of initial sqrl miner release.  It was planned for later releases so it makes no sense that was the reason for the delay.  
When SQRL miner and Acorn was launched the ogag optimization wasn't even in the consideration.

The delay hasn't been anything unexpected. I think SQRL is a good team but they took more on their plate. I still don't consider the product is delivered since I can't use it.

ALGORITHMS
 ETHASH  CRYPTONIGHT V1  LYRA2REV2  X16R

Mineority had IP in SQRL miner, GPUH needed permission to use it or write it out of the code. OGAG said she gave him permission, but took a long time.

Didn't all that happen after the Acorn and SQRL miner launch?
What I am trying to point out is the dependency on ogag optimization shouldn't have been the "only" cause of delay.  

In my opinion, SQRL miner would compose of 3 major pieces,
FPGA bitstream for Acorn, SW stack for GPU mining portion and SW interface for the FPGA and GPU to talk to each other w/wo host CPU + the poolside comms code.

From what I understand ogag optimization would be only part of the 2nd piece here.  Or was there something else that was shared earlier?
Activity: 69
Merit: 1
January 02, 2019, 02:06:29 AM

ogag optimization was never a part of initial sqrl miner release.  It was planned for later releases so it makes no sense that was the reason for the delay. 

ALGORITHMS

January 02, 2019, 01:07:07 AM

ALGORITHMS

legendary
January 01, 2019, 10:28:41 PM
BTW, what ever happened to Ohgodagirl?  Did anyone take legal action against her or her company?  She literally just ran off with people's hosting $$$.

I still see her posting on the FPGA discord channel sometimes.  I'm surprised she will even show her face.......

i thought it was she that threatened to sue everyone else. there are so many places info was posted it was hard to keep up.

it will all come out someday.

yeah I think the story will slowly leak out this year (2019)
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
January 01, 2019, 10:23:28 PM
BTW, what ever happened to Ohgodagirl?  Did anyone take legal action against her or her company?  She literally just ran off with people's hosting $$$.

I still see her posting on the FPGA discord channel sometimes.  I'm surprised she will even show her face.......

i thought it was she that threatened to sue everyone else. there are so many places info was posted it was hard to keep up.

it will all come out someday.
legendary
January 01, 2019, 09:55:55 PM
What can you use the acorn for right now?

One coin correct?

And it still can’t accelerate algos as promised.

Personally I believe you were scammed not by sqls but by ohgodagirl.

I think she had working software and held it up.
I believe acorns could work for you and accelerate algos right now. But that sqls do not have the rights to the software and ohgodagirl is holding it up.

All guesswork on my part.

youre correct: one algo, no gpu assist at this time.

i think you and kingcolex are onto it.. ohgodagirl screwed sqrl with ip rights and by extension, we customers out of some profit we could of had at this point.

but i dont consider myself scammed by sqrl as i do think they will deliver. kristy just slowed everything down considerably.

so i guess it depends on the exact definition of "scammed" .. to me, in crypto, getting scammed is far far worse than a delay. its having nothing at all for your money.

not saying this does not suck, but i am confident the software will get here.

and these are cool toys, albeit expensive Grin
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
January 01, 2019, 09:38:08 PM
Bitstreams are being delivered on the expensive unit, hosting is complete even for the Mineority units they have taken up hosting to be kind since Mineority collapsed and they took on most of their employees, they shipped out all hardware and not a single person has an issue getting a refund. There is already a bitstream to keep users occupied while the main software is released, they also released it for the lower end models that originally weren't going to have solo mining bitstreams.

this, pretty much.

even after getting shafted by ohgodagirl/mineority sqrl has done its customers pretty well all things considered.

and their hardware.. man acorns are damn near bulletproof, and the nest cards Just Work. the bcu1525 sure looks like it can deliver the goods once the devs get more bitstreams up to snuff.

all of us who bought and kept, rather than get refunded, know the risks. will it all be worth it and roi? who knows. but i know for sure i didnt get scammed.

One coin correct?

I believe acorns could work for you and accelerate algos right now. But that sqls do not have the rights to the software and ohgodagirl is holding it up.

legendary
January 01, 2019, 09:11:46 PM
Bitstreams are being delivered on the expensive unit, hosting is complete even for the Mineority units they have taken up hosting to be kind since Mineority collapsed and they took on most of their employees, they shipped out all hardware and not a single person has an issue getting a refund. There is already a bitstream to keep users occupied while the main software is released, they also released it for the lower end models that originally weren't going to have solo mining bitstreams.

this, pretty much.

even after getting shafted by ohgodagirl/mineority sqrl has done its customers pretty well all things considered.

and their hardware.. man acorns are damn near bulletproof, and the nest cards Just Work. the bcu1525 sure looks like it can deliver the goods once the devs get more bitstreams up to snuff.

all of us who bought and kept, rather than get refunded, know the risks. will it all be worth it and roi? who knows. but i know for sure i didnt get scammed.

One coin correct?

legendary
January 01, 2019, 08:37:43 PM

this, pretty much.

Activity: 69
Activity: 8
January 01, 2019, 12:10:27 PM
I'm confident they will deliver.

copper member
Activity: 416
Merit: 105
January 01, 2019, 02:14:55 AM
TOTALY SCAM
Activity: 1123
Merit: 136
December 31, 2018, 11:16:47 PM
Complete overpromise and underdeliver!!!!

I'm just waiting for the next excuse to come up and it being delayed another month(s)

Could be much worst, You could have ordered a dcr1 obelisk and got rekt.  No delivery, no product, 1 year delays, negative profitability. USA companies struggle to compete with china companies for delivering mining products.

I have to say that what fascinates me the most are those people who are constantly discussing (on Discord) some mods involving Acorn and all the subtleties of mining ZEN Protocol, without any concern about gains, money and time wasted. This is unreal to me.
People who believe the software will come are currently spending their time tweaking and enjoying the hardware they have on hand. Not sure what you don't get.

I do not get how much they think their time is worth. In Ontario, Canada minimum wage is C$15/h :-)

What is that $7 USD?  Roll Eyes
legendary
December 31, 2018, 07:09:28 PM
bigger guys skipped these and got fpga's

or got both
legendary
December 31, 2018, 05:34:33 PM

I'm just waiting for the next excuse to come up and it being delayed another month(s)

Could be much worst, You could have ordered a dcr1 obelisk and got rekt.  No delivery, no product, 1 year delays, negative profitability. USA companies struggle to compete with china companies for delivering mining products.

I have to say that what fascinates me the most are those people who are constantly discussing (on Discord) some mods involving Acorn and all the subtleties of mining ZEN Protocol, without any concern about gains, money and time wasted. This is unreal to me.
People who believe the software will come are currently spending their time tweaking and enjoying the hardware they have on hand. Not sure what you don't get.

I do not get how much they think their time is worth. In Ontario, Canada minimum wage is C$15/h :-)

well it depends on what you wanted to do with an acorn setup.
some people hobby mine.  one or two builds   profit is no big deal to them.

Some people  had 10x 6 card 1080ti rigs and a few 8 card 1070ti rigs.

they hoped this gear would help them maybe they got a nest and 2 215x acorns like I did. Thinking they would expand to more once they new it was good.

they got refunds.

bigger guys skipped these and got fpga's
Activity: 173
Merit: 2
December 31, 2018, 05:08:19 PM

Activity: 173
Merit: 2
December 31, 2018, 11:53:02 AM

Pages:
Jump to: