Pages:
Author

Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator - page 18. (Read 73496 times)

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
December 11, 2018, 02:33:50 PM
those who bought and kept them knew the risk when we rolled the dice. and the dice are still rolling. software will come out. as for roi, if i lose 99% of what i put in, oh well. it was an amount i was willing to lose. annoying for sure, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Definitely agree it's a bet to have the ultimate hedge, and at even $~$300 it was a cheap bet. It's at minimum a great tool to learn as we all can see the writing on the wall, fpga is the future of most mining. If this just teaches me how to load bitstreams and configure them I much rather do it on $300 hardware before I do it on $5000+ hardware.

agreed. i think fpga, with or without gpu assist, is minings future, and fpga are different beasts with different rig requirements. and if/when the next bear run occurs, those that understand how the tech runs will be ahead. $300 for an acorn to get in the game now and start learning is a no brainer to me.

last bull run gpus were almost impossible to get. and thats with nvidia and amd shoveling them out the door as fast as they could. if this happens again.. well there are a lot less fpgas to be had than there were gpus. having a few fpgas and knowing their limitations, strengths and needs will make a big difference. try building a good fpga or fpga boosted gpu based system without knowing what they need or how they function.. have fun. sure guides for noobs will come out but too late for many.
Activity: 173
Merit: 2
December 11, 2018, 01:41:44 PM
I completely agree  with what philipma1957 said. I also took a refund. I can only say that I was almost crucified on GPUHoarder Discord (by all the people posting) when I kept asking to see SQRL Miner and test it before Acorn was released.

You were "almost crucified" not because you asked, but because you never stopped asking at least daily, along with a dozen (or more) others, sometimes only a few messages above yours. Then you kept asking after you requested and received a refund.  After a while it gets old.

Perhaps if others insisted to see SQRL miner and it had been released, we would have known earlier about the problems. It is still not out. I am surprised that you think that it is normal.

On another note (although related), have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNy5Ta5ccNg&t=1s
Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
December 11, 2018, 01:06:14 PM
I completely agree  with what philipma1957 said. I also took a refund. I can only say that I was almost crucified on GPUHoarder Discord (by all the people posting) when I kept asking to see SQRL Miner and test it before Acorn was released.

You were "almost crucified" not because you asked, but because you never stopped asking at least daily, along with a dozen (or more) others, sometimes only a few messages above yours. Then you kept asking after you requested and received a refund.  After a while it gets old.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
December 11, 2018, 08:48:03 AM
The check is in the mail.....

hey!

im making ~40 cents USD a day on my acorns mining ZP - so in a mere 6.5 years ill hit ROI and be rolling in da moneyz Grin

actually i would need to find an exchange that lists it and that i can use 1st.. hell i dont even know what this shitcoin im mining is.

anyway.

those who bought and kept them knew the risk when we rolled the dice. and the dice are still rolling. software will come out. as for roi, if i lose 99% of what i put in, oh well. it was an amount i was willing to lose. annoying for sure, but nothing to lose sleep over.

that said, i too sure hope sqrl come up with some serious bitstreams and software soon.  this wait is getting monotonous.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
December 10, 2018, 11:36:14 PM

..... All I keep hearing is that it will come out soon.....

Two weeksTM

The check is in the mail.....
Activity: 338
Merit: 251
December 10, 2018, 11:17:00 PM

..... All I keep hearing is that it will come out soon.....

Two weeksTM
December 10, 2018, 11:12:06 PM
LOL
December 10, 2018, 11:04:40 PM
Hahah, I was almost crucified also for asking the same thing.   

I think all those who got their Acorns have been using them as standalone miners to mine Zen Protocol coins.....Good luck with that..
December 10, 2018, 10:59:42 PM
I completely agree  with what philipma1957 said. I also took a refund. I can only say that I was almost crucified on GPUHoarder Discord (by all the people posting) when I kept asking to see SQRL Miner and test it before Acorn was released.
December 10, 2018, 10:31:26 PM
I was in that Discord channel also....

There was nothing he said that makes me believe they would have something by Xmas..... All I keep hearing is that it will come out soon.....
 Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
December 10, 2018, 12:05:07 AM
Either prove it can do what it originally was sold to do or start issuing refunds.

How much skin do you have in this game? Did you purchase Acorns or Nest cards? I have skin in the game and so do others here.

Phil had skin in the game, requested a refund for the gear he ordered, and received it a while ago. Maybe not as fast as he would have liked, but he did receive a refund. Many others have done the same for Acorns, Nests, and BCUs. If you want a refund I'll bet that if you contacted SQRL support they'd refund your money.

I opted to stick it out for basically the same reasons as vapourminer. I went in with my eyes wide open knowing that there were likely to be some hiccups along the way. That's almost always the case with pre-order hardware and software to power it. I'll take my lumps and bumps and see where things go when the bear market reverses Soon(TM).

where is that bull?

Waiting in the wings.

I hope...  Roll Eyes

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
December 09, 2018, 11:53:40 PM
This is even worse than a Kickstarter campaign.... At least with Kickstarter, they actually check to see if you have a working prototype....

Which if you read my post I  was asking for one.  Getting insulted time and time again just for asking for one demo.
December 09, 2018, 11:51:47 PM
This is even worse than a Kickstarter campaign.... At least with Kickstarter, they actually check to see if you have a working prototype....
legendary
December 09, 2018, 11:51:39 PM
Phil is smart then....

The way I see it, in these situations, the earlier you ask for your refund, the more likely you get it.....

If you go back you will see I offerd free help was blown off.

My concerns were exactly what happened.

But they gave refunds of course my refund was in btc I paid in btc.  Lucky for me my refund was given when btc was 6300 I chased it out and turned a 3 or 4 dollar profit. On what the BTC cost me to buy.

Now if you get a btc refund you lose about ½ your money.

Ie if you paid 0.100 btc  you get back 0.100 btc

so it would be $620 value in july but only $350 value now.

It is why most do not ask for a refund they know that is a loss.

Exactly. This. People are basically trapped now. And if Btc had gone up in value how much do you want to bet they would be issuing you that refund in USD. Or an equivalent amount in USD in Btc.

This reeks of a money grab so much that I'd basically call it a scam light. They never had the software they promised they did that would allow GPU boosting, were obviously always going to be way behind schedule because of unrealistically projected supply line dates, and basically offloaded all risk onto the buyer in the form of overhyped presales.

And don't worry about how much "skin I have in the game". I would be thousands and thousands deep in these guys if I didn't see all the red flags a mile away. If they had shown a working model and software, ever, I would have probably would have pre ordered a shit load of these "GPU Accelerators". The only reason I don't have any skin in this game is because I was around in 2012-2013 when the whole BFL scam went down and let me say this seems like the exact same thing in a different package.

Over promise, get customer funds through presales, use customer funds for R&D that should already be done(and to trade/gamble?), delay(*Two weeks), offer a refund based on lower value of Btc or USD, pocket the profit, and eventually release a product that is close to worthless so they can point and say "its not a scam, see, we made you, something..." and "we offered you a refund at one point".

It is in effect giving them a free bet on price of coin.

Now maybe they simply just held the left over coin and spent most of it on the gear.
It still does not excuse no working demo  of all the June estimates.
Activity: 338
Merit: 251
December 09, 2018, 11:38:10 PM
Phil is smart then....

The way I see it, in these situations, the earlier you ask for your refund, the more likely you get it.....

If you go back you will see I offerd free help was blown off.

But they gave refunds of course my refund was in btc I paid in btc.  Lucky for me my refund was given when btc was 6300 I chased it out and turned a 3 or 4 dollar profit. On what the BTC cost me to buy.

Ie if you paid 0.100 btc  you get back 0.100 btc

so it would be $620 value in july but only $350 value now.

Exactly. This. People are basically trapped now. And if Btc had gone up in value how much do you want to bet they would be issuing you that refund in USD. Or an equivalent amount in USD in Btc.

This reeks of a money grab so much that I'd basically call it a scam light. They never had the software they promised they did that would allow GPU boosting, were obviously always going to be way behind schedule because of unrealistically projected supply line dates, and basically offloaded all risk onto the buyer in the form of overhyped presales.

And don't worry about how much "skin I have in the game". I would be thousands and thousands deep in these guys if I didn't see all the red flags a mile away. If they had shown a working model and software, ever, I would have probably would have pre ordered a shit load of these "GPU Accelerators". The only reason I don't have any skin in this game is because I was around in 2012-2013 when the whole BFL scam went down and let me say this seems like the exact same thing in a different package.

Over promise, get customer funds through presales, use customer funds for R&D that should already be done(and to trade/gamble?), delay(*Two weeks), offer a refund based on lower value of Btc or USD, pocket the profit, and eventually release a product that is close to worthless so they can point and say "its not a scam, see, we made you, something..." and "we offered you a refund at one point".
legendary
December 09, 2018, 10:56:40 PM
Phil is smart then....

If you go back you will see I offered free help was blown off.

But they gave refunds of course my refund was in btc I paid in btc.  Lucky for me my refund was given when btc was 6300 I cashed it out and turned a 3 or 4 dollar profit. On what the BTC cost me to buy.

Ie if you paid 0.100 btc  you get back 0.100 btc

so it would be 620 value in july but only 350 value now.

December 09, 2018, 09:59:47 PM
Phil is smart then....

legendary
December 09, 2018, 09:45:37 PM
Either prove it can do what it originally was sold to do or start issuing refunds.

How much skin do you have in this game? Did you purchase Acorns or Nest cards? I have skin in the game and so do others here.

Phil had skin in the game, requested a refund for the gear he ordered, and received it a while ago. Maybe not as fast as he would have liked, but he did receive a refund. Many others have done the same for Acorns, Nests, and BCUs. If you want a refund I'll bet that if you contacted SQRL support they'd refund your money.

I opted to stick it out for basically the same reasons as vapourminer. I went in with my eyes wide open knowing that there were likely to be some hiccups along the way. That's almost always the case with pre-order hardware and software to power it. I'll take my lumps and bumps and see where things go when the bear market reverses Soon(TM).

where is that bull?
December 09, 2018, 09:42:03 PM
I think the OP is just asking for some proof this software exists and works..... That's not too much of an ask when everyone has been waiting for a few months. 
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
December 09, 2018, 09:33:56 PM

Pages:
Jump to: