Pages:
Author

Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator - page 39. (Read 73496 times)

Activity: 785
Merit: 502
August 24, 2018, 07:44:54 PM

This is nice to see, not to be a politically correct asshole though but August 31st was never mentioned to us august buyers. It was "end of august" so this was really leveraging the timeline in literal terms. It also more than likely makes september preorders even more lucrative while shafting your first customers on mining time.

Just some thoughts from an early buyer of these. When delays are known post it immediately so we arent wondering why its end of week one September and our acorns are still not delivered.

I hope the standalone mining of the cle 215+ blows my mind. It was advertised as being stand alone mining vs. The lower spec cheaper acorns , so when i see people ask and the responses the squirrel team gives on its solo mining capability they were less than comforting. Which again was another catch for us early buyers. So i really pray this was a case where you guys are just under promising so you can over deliver. If not then expect major disappointment from 215+ buyers.

If the acorns from august are delivered in September then they are late, buyers bought August expecting August.

I completely agree. Aug 31 is just playing number game. No updates on the CLE 215+ solo mining. No information about SQRL miner a week before the release. Without proper mining pools support (including NiceHash strata) this whole project is not worth anything.

It was always advertised as a pre-order, shipping late August.  I understand the sentiment - we certainly had hoped late August wouldn’t be quite the very end, but to be honest with the number of issues and supply chain glitches that occurred along the way I am very happy with where we are with progress.

We are very transparent and straight forward as a company - but the updates don’t always get posted here as often as they do in the discord, partially because I don’t prefer arguing with people.

Fair enough, can we get hard numbers on a few algorithms for the 215+ now stand alone. If we are facing delays some info to bide the time would be at least informative.
Activity: 254
Merit: 11
Call 811 before you dig
August 24, 2018, 06:10:23 PM
Activity: 199
Merit: 1
August 24, 2018, 06:08:42 PM
whats the discord channel?
Activity: 154
Merit: 37
August 24, 2018, 03:06:54 PM

This is nice to see, not to be a politically correct asshole though but August 31st was never mentioned to us august buyers. It was "end of august" so this was really leveraging the timeline in literal terms. It also more than likely makes september preorders even more lucrative while shafting your first customers on mining time.

Just some thoughts from an early buyer of these. When delays are known post it immediately so we arent wondering why its end of week one September and our acorns are still not delivered.

I hope the standalone mining of the cle 215+ blows my mind. It was advertised as being stand alone mining vs. The lower spec cheaper acorns , so when i see people ask and the responses the squirrel team gives on its solo mining capability they were less than comforting. Which again was another catch for us early buyers. So i really pray this was a case where you guys are just under promising so you can over deliver. If not then expect major disappointment from 215+ buyers.

If the acorns from august are delivered in September then they are late, buyers bought August expecting August.

I completely agree. Aug 31 is just playing number game. No updates on the CLE 215+ solo mining. No information about SQRL miner a week before the release. Without proper mining pools support (including NiceHash strata) this whole project is not worth anything.

It was always advertised as a pre-order, shipping late August.  I understand the sentiment - we certainly had hoped late August wouldn’t be quite the very end, but to be honest with the number of issues and supply chain glitches that occurred along the way I am very happy with where we are with progress.

We are very transparent and straight forward as a company - but the updates don’t always get posted here as often as they do in the discord, partially because I don’t prefer arguing with people.

Activity: 208
Merit: 3
August 24, 2018, 08:58:54 AM
The price for an Artix 7 FPGA with M2 interface is not bad  Wink .
I hope we can buy it soon in the EU.
Activity: 173
Merit: 2
August 24, 2018, 07:12:34 AM

Activity: 785
Merit: 502
August 24, 2018, 01:42:05 AM
There's an update on Acorns:

This is the first Acorn CLE101 off the PCB production line.
Quote from GPUHoarder a few minutes ago
Well they’re coming off the line! So we’re at least pretty close to schedule. Heatsinks/fans have to arrive, final assembly, burn in, pack, ship. ...
....Long pole is definitely the heatsinks/fans, which have to come off production and ship in from Asia ~
But having the working boards in-hand instills a lot of confidence in timing....
....Target has always been August 31st. Still looks achievable but short delays can always happen.
I’ll be sure to let anyone (sic) know if we have reason to believe they will.

Activity: 578
Merit: 508
August 23, 2018, 11:29:39 PM
Questions:

1a) Will either Nest board (2X or 4X) still contribute acceleration if not fully populated with Acorns?

1b) In essence, is the Acorn on a Nest board treated as a shared resource among the GPU's plugged into the USB socket or are they tied to a specific GPU?

1c) Does the Nest board (with Acorns) accelerate GPU's tied to the PCIe buss?

TIA
Activity: 254
Merit: 11
Call 811 before you dig
August 23, 2018, 06:18:29 PM
There's an update on Acorns:

This is the first Acorn CLE101 off the PCB production line.
Quote from GPUHoarder a few minutes ago
Well they’re coming off the line! So we’re at least pretty close to schedule. Heatsinks/fans have to arrive, final assembly, burn in, pack, ship. ...
....Long pole is definitely the heatsinks/fans, which have to come off production and ship in from Asia ~
But having the working boards in-hand instills a lot of confidence in timing....
....Target has always been August 31st. Still looks achievable but short delays can always happen.
I’ll be sure to let anyone (sic) know if we have reason to believe they will.

Activity: 8
Merit: 1
August 22, 2018, 12:46:30 PM
The pricing over at squirrelsresearch is indeed completely absurd for shipping. Right now, i'm still waiting for the solo performances to think about buying a few but in any case I will purchase via a Resend company because of this.

Living in UK i was initially shocked by the minimum shipping prices, when i ordered the CLE-215+ in late July.

My initial thoughts being they are using shipping as additional profits.

But on reflection, I'd rather see this start up company suceed in their endeavours and provide the community with further products and support.

People don't work for free.

Good luck guys. and can't wait for my product in september.

Activity: 557
Merit: 5
August 22, 2018, 03:41:21 AM
Hi all, So basically, Not sure what to buy. have abuild of 11x RX 560 2gb CN normal (i never mine core intense algo)
Another rig is Cryptonight heavy with Rx 580 8gb High end cards (8 cards)....
I'm intersted in CN normal/Heavy and Maybe Ethereum...
How many CLE101 are sufficient for most of the bonuses to apply.
Is the 215 (not the + variant) worth it, the double memory?
So Basically those cards aren't Card based but more of IO (hash amount based?) so that means a single CLE 101 can boost 4x 560 2gb or 2x 570s/580s ... What about CN heavy, thats massive bandwidth here to make 1150 h/s with an 8gb polaris (when compared to VEGAs tiny 1400 h/s in heavy)

Appreciaste any input.
Also, whats wrong with the shipping? One CLE101 cost 75USD to reach Australia (Business class 50 gram item Smiley?) my concerns are all about the feasibility of mining the cost of these things are what you can pay right now for 3-5 Ethereum!

The pricing over at squirrelsresearch is indeed completely absurd for shipping. Right now, i'm still waiting for the solo performances to think about buying a few but in any case I will purchase via a Resend company because of this.
Activity: 80
Merit: 13
August 21, 2018, 09:16:12 PM
Hi all, So basically, Not sure what to buy. have abuild of 11x RX 560 2gb CN normal (i never mine core intense algo)
Another rig is Cryptonight heavy with Rx 580 8gb High end cards (8 cards)....
I'm intersted in CN normal/Heavy and Maybe Ethereum...
How many CLE101 are sufficient for most of the bonuses to apply.
Is the 215 (not the + variant) worth it, the double memory?
So Basically those cards aren't Card based but more of IO (hash amount based?) so that means a single CLE 101 can boost 4x 560 2gb or 2x 570s/580s ... What about CN heavy, thats massive bandwidth here to make 1150 h/s with an 8gb polaris (when compared to VEGAs tiny 1400 h/s in heavy)

Appreciaste any input.
Also, whats wrong with the shipping? One CLE101 cost 75USD to reach Australia (Business class 50 gram item Smiley?) my concerns are all about the feasibility of mining the cost of these things are what you can pay right now for 3-5 Ethereum!
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
August 21, 2018, 04:49:58 PM
Any more info about standalone mining algos/estimated hashrate? I'm thinking about selling most/all of my GPUs so I'm hoping I'll be able to mine with these still.
Activity: 68
Merit: 4
August 20, 2018, 04:55:28 AM
Hope someone can explain please..... These do not boost CN v7 (heavy/light etc.) cause of its anti asic modifications? provided that i have an m2 MOBO in the first place, the acorn will support how many GPUs (full 13  AMD?)
Those FPGAs or asics or mining machines, how are they GPU friendly? seeing that the fans/developers are some of those promoting GPU mining (ohgodapeople) These are no accusations or any thing, I'm simply mining CN v7/heavyand atm ridiculously confused, trying to buy some bargain 8gb GPUs but meanwhile, seeing this mainly the -60% power saving changes the game entirely, making eth mining with this thing +13 old school polaris GPUs might as well kill newer nvidia released in hours (mainly because they are spiking low in price and the fact the acorn removes a lot of the power consumption?)

Forgot to add, would it support those 1 to 8 multipliers, cause many have m2 only in their limited gaming desktops.

Here we go again, please read https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/8b8o05/cryptonight_v7_vs_v1_a_nitpick_request_to_use_the/
Activity: 80
Merit: 13
August 19, 2018, 10:35:43 PM
Hope someone can explain please..... These do not boost CN v7 (heavy/light etc.) cause of its anti asic modifications? provided that i have an m2 MOBO in the first place, the acorn will support how many GPUs (full 13  AMD?)
Those FPGAs or asics or mining machines, how are they GPU friendly? seeing that the fans/developers are some of those promoting GPU mining (ohgodapeople) These are no accusations or any thing, I'm simply mining CN v7/heavyand atm ridiculously confused, trying to buy some bargain 8gb GPUs but meanwhile, seeing this mainly the -60% power saving changes the game entirely, making eth mining with this thing +13 old school polaris GPUs might as well kill newer nvidia released in hours (mainly because they are spiking low in price and the fact the acorn removes a lot of the power consumption?)

Forgot to add, would it support those 1 to 8 multipliers, cause many have m2 only in their limited gaming desktops.
Activity: 84
August 17, 2018, 03:17:22 PM
@GPUHoarder, what about the new upcoming Nvidia Turing RTX 2000 Series? Will it work with the Acorn M.2? I know they are not out yet but is there any reason why it shouldnt work with the new series?

As these are not out yet we can not promise anything with 100% certainty, but at this time we see no reason why the new generation of GPUs wouldn't work with Acorn.

I think the main restriction will remain to be motherboard support.
Activity: 173
Merit: 2
August 17, 2018, 02:10:49 PM
I agree with you, but some coin devs put the FPGAs in the same categeory as ASICs, for good or bad reasons depending mostly on a personnal point of vue.

I'm ok with ASICs and FPGAs as long as the game is fair, meaning companies develop and sell them without retaining them and mining with for months and throwing them on the market only when it's more profitable compared to mining. That's what all major ASIC maker do, they compete against their "customers".

That's the reason why I like the initiatives here, BCU1525, ACORN M2...They give a chance to the people, not only deep pockets companies or investors who don't give a crap about blockchain / crypto, those which would invest in any business as long as it's profitable.

Mining should be for the people by the people.

Many of the posts in this thread illustrate why more companies mine the hardware before they sell it, require bulk orders, provide poor customer service, etc.  I mean really what is the point of providing a product in a transparent manner at a reasonable price?  SQRL is the the perfect example of a company building fpga miners internally that decided to throw a bone to everyone and sell the same hardware at a very small markup.  What did that get them?  A bunch of accusations about scams and fake products, and this was before they even took a cent from anyone!  Fast forward to the first half of August and people are already blowing up support, asking pointless questions about a product that is not past its shipping deadline.
So what is really a shipping deadline? I believe that more information about SQRL miner should be released ahead of the launch. We should be able to prepare which pools we could be using. I am personally (most would disagree) very much want NiceHash strata support, especially in light of current Market volatility. I actually stopped mining on GPUs yesterday (too hot and electricity cost coming too close to gains) and am only mining on ASICs

I mean the pre-orders said August and its not even halfway through the month yet. These questions would be more understandable if it were August 30!  The stratum protocol works on every pool.  I don't think I've seen a miner that does not work on nicehash.

Unfortunately, not true. Z9 mini does not work on NiceHash. Squirrels' support told me that at this point NiveHash stratum support is not included (some differences how NiceHash handles that)

I take that back.  The A3 doesnt work on nicehash either. Let me rephrase that, I've never seen a software miner not work with nicehash Smiley  The code to implement (extranonce subscribe) is pretty easy to implement:  https://www.nicehash.com/help/patches-for-extranoncesubscription

Thank you very much. It is helpful and will get back to Squirrel support with this link.

Activity: 4
August 17, 2018, 01:12:33 PM
@GPUHoarder, what about the new upcoming Nvidia Turing RTX 2000 Series? Will it work with the Acorn M.2? I know they are not out yet but is there any reason why it shouldnt work with the new series?

As these are not out yet we can not promise anything with 100% certainty, but at this time we see no reason why the new generation of GPUs wouldn't work with Acorn.
Activity: 1179
Merit: 131
August 17, 2018, 12:26:21 PM
I agree with you, but some coin devs put the FPGAs in the same categeory as ASICs, for good or bad reasons depending mostly on a personnal point of vue.

I'm ok with ASICs and FPGAs as long as the game is fair, meaning companies develop and sell them without retaining them and mining with for months and throwing them on the market only when it's more profitable compared to mining. That's what all major ASIC maker do, they compete against their "customers".

That's the reason why I like the initiatives here, BCU1525, ACORN M2...They give a chance to the people, not only deep pockets companies or investors who don't give a crap about blockchain / crypto, those which would invest in any business as long as it's profitable.

Mining should be for the people by the people.

Many of the posts in this thread illustrate why more companies mine the hardware before they sell it, require bulk orders, provide poor customer service, etc.  I mean really what is the point of providing a product in a transparent manner at a reasonable price?  SQRL is the the perfect example of a company building fpga miners internally that decided to throw a bone to everyone and sell the same hardware at a very small markup.  What did that get them?  A bunch of accusations about scams and fake products, and this was before they even took a cent from anyone!  Fast forward to the first half of August and people are already blowing up support, asking pointless questions about a product that is not past its shipping deadline.
So what is really a shipping deadline? I believe that more information about SQRL miner should be released ahead of the launch. We should be able to prepare which pools we could be using. I am personally (most would disagree) very much want NiceHash strata support, especially in light of current Market volatility. I actually stopped mining on GPUs yesterday (too hot and electricity cost coming too close to gains) and am only mining on ASICs

I mean the pre-orders said August and its not even halfway through the month yet. These questions would be more understandable if it were August 30!  The stratum protocol works on every pool.  I don't think I've seen a miner that does not work on nicehash.

Unfortunately, not true. Z9 mini does not work on NiceHash. Squirrels' support told me that at this point NiveHash stratum support is not included (some differences how NiceHash handles that)

I take that back.  The A3 doesnt work on nicehash either. Let me rephrase that, I've never seen a software miner not work with nicehash Smiley  The code to implement (extranonce subscribe) is pretty easy to implement:  https://www.nicehash.com/help/patches-for-extranoncesubscription
Activity: 711
Merit: 250
August 17, 2018, 02:39:19 AM
So much to test in the next month.

-Bcu1525
-Acorns
-Nvidia 11xx
-Follow 10xx trending price after 11xx series will be available on the market

Rather simple from the outside, but from a ''new'' investor, basically, we have to do the following work ;

1. Test BCU1525 on different algorithms, and calcs our daily income into the differents algo while taking in consideration the 5,000 units that will slowly get online and adjust the profitability to what we will get after they are all online. The hashrate will remain very good, but the profitability will go down a bit.

2. Test acorns on differents Nvidia/Amd hardware and analyse what it's best ; more gpus, or adapt our actual gpus with acorns that yes, we can get insane hashrate for the electricity cost, but we would need minimum 1 acorn per gpu. ( can go to 315$ USD + shipping + customs fee ). It feel kinda obvious that on the long term road it could be the way to go, but it would depend of the profitability differences of getting our whole mine equiped with acorns vs taking that same investment on bcu1525, what is the best hmm.. ?

3. We are not done yet. Nvidia will come to the game soon enough with their new 11xx ( or 20xx, whatever ) series. We have to take into consideration that 10xx series will get down in price, and we will have to test/see research the actual hashrate those cards can handle, and how they can be compatible with the acorns.

------------

Guess we will be busy with some new toys to play around.  Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: