Pages:
Author

Topic: Acorn M.2 FPGA based GPU Accelerator - page 40. (Read 73496 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
August 16, 2018, 09:46:34 PM
Once this accelerator is available I can test with AMD cards. I will get some 560 or use existing 570/580 cards. I don't have GTX cards though
e97
Activity: 58
Merit: 1
August 16, 2018, 08:21:13 PM

Wish you all the best. Hope it works out.
Activity: 199
August 16, 2018, 07:33:57 PM
Aug 31st shipping here for 1. hopeful.
Activity: 75
August 16, 2018, 05:23:13 PM
I am wondering if I am the only one perplexed with the fluctuations of profitability of one of the main algos for Acorn - X16R.
It is crazy (as in most things in Crypto mining these days).

Yeah its just you.
Activity: 173
Merit: 2
August 16, 2018, 04:45:48 PM
I am wondering if I am the only one perplexed with the fluctuations of profitability of one of the main algos for Acorn - X16R.
It is crazy (as in most things in Crypto mining these days).
Activity: 254
Merit: 11
Call 811 before you dig
August 15, 2018, 10:06:46 PM
Update on Acorns and how they're affected by the BCU-1525 parts procurement issues:

GPUHoarderToday at 7:13 PM
Acorns very end of August and Sept, 1525 is what was delayed by Xilinx.
August 15, 2018, 08:38:27 PM
I agree with you, but some coin devs put the FPGAs in the same categeory as ASICs, for good or bad reasons depending mostly on a personnal point of vue.

I'm ok with ASICs and FPGAs as long as the game is fair, meaning companies develop and sell them without retaining them and mining with for months and throwing them on the market only when it's more profitable compared to mining. That's what all major ASIC maker do, they compete against their "customers".

That's the reason why I like the initiatives here, BCU1525, ACORN M2...They give a chance to the people, not only deep pockets companies or investors who don't give a crap about blockchain / crypto, those which would invest in any business as long as it's profitable.

Mining should be for the people by the people.

Many of the posts in this thread illustrate why more companies mine the hardware before they sell it, require bulk orders, provide poor customer service, etc.  I mean really what is the point of providing a product in a transparent manner at a reasonable price?  SQRL is the the perfect example of a company building fpga miners internally that decided to throw a bone to everyone and sell the same hardware at a very small markup.  What did that get them?  A bunch of accusations about scams and fake products, and this was before they even took a cent from anyone!  Fast forward to the first half of August and people are already blowing up support, asking pointless questions about a product that is not past its shipping deadline.
So what is really a shipping deadline? I believe that more information about SQRL miner should be released ahead of the launch. We should be able to prepare which pools we could be using. I am personally (most would disagree) very much want NiceHash strata support, especially in light of current Market volatility. I actually stopped mining on GPUs yesterday (too hot and electricity cost coming too close to gains) and am only mining on ASICs

I mean the pre-orders said August and its not even halfway through the month yet. These questions would be more understandable if it were August 30!  The stratum protocol works on every pool.  I don't think I've seen a miner that does not work on nicehash.

Unfortunately, not true. Z9 mini does not work on NiceHash. Squirrels' support told me that at this point NiveHash stratum support is not included (some differences how NiceHash handles that)
Activity: 463
Merit: 301
August 15, 2018, 06:41:33 PM
I agree with you, but some coin devs put the FPGAs in the same categeory as ASICs, for good or bad reasons depending mostly on a personnal point of vue.

I'm ok with ASICs and FPGAs as long as the game is fair, meaning companies develop and sell them without retaining them and mining with for months and throwing them on the market only when it's more profitable compared to mining. That's what all major ASIC maker do, they compete against their "customers".

That's the reason why I like the initiatives here, BCU1525, ACORN M2...They give a chance to the people, not only deep pockets companies or investors who don't give a crap about blockchain / crypto, those which would invest in any business as long as it's profitable.

Many of the posts in this thread illustrate why more companies mine the hardware before they sell it, require bulk orders, provide poor customer service, etc.  I mean really what is the point of providing a product in a transparent manner at a reasonable price?  SQRL is the the perfect example of a company building fpga miners internally that decided to throw a bone to everyone and sell the same hardware at a very small markup.  What did that get them?  A bunch of accusations about scams and fake products, and this was before they even took a cent from anyone!  Fast forward to the first half of August and people are already blowing up support, asking pointless questions about a product that is not past its shipping deadline.
So what is really a shipping deadline? I believe that more information about SQRL miner should be released ahead of the launch. We should be able to prepare which pools we could be using. I am personally (most would disagree) very much want NiceHash strata support, especially in light of current Market volatility. I actually stopped mining on GPUs yesterday (too hot and electricity cost coming too close to gains) and am only mining on ASICs

A handful of people  will get august 31st shipping
Most buyers will get Set 30th shipping.
The August batch is small.  I read on discord  that there are parts that are delayed, but that I am not sure how that affects the acorns.

Hopefully you don't have a lot involved money wise.
Activity: 68
Merit: 4
August 15, 2018, 04:34:37 PM

Thats the downside of doing retail sale, then you got to answer stupid questions like "where can I download the miner for the hardware im getting in 1-2 months, bought on a presale" (DOH!!).
Good things takes time, chill forget about it for 10 days and we are almost there Cheesy
Activity: 1179
Merit: 131
August 15, 2018, 12:29:51 PM

I mean the pre-orders said August and its not even halfway through the month yet. These questions would be more understandable if it were August 30!  The stratum protocol works on every pool.  I don't think I've seen a miner that does not work on nicehash.
August 15, 2018, 11:52:29 AM

Activity: 420
Merit: 105
German Translator - Hire me on Bitcointalk!
August 15, 2018, 09:26:32 AM
@GPUHoarder, what about the new upcoming Nvidia Turing RTX 2000 Series? Will it work with the Acorn M.2? I know they are not out yet but is there any reason why it shouldnt work with the new series?
Activity: 21
August 15, 2018, 08:58:30 AM
A new generation of GPU is coming + clever devs want to use more of the CPU / GPU advantages to make them much more relevant against FPGAs and ASICs. I think the relevant CN coins will follow Monero then adapt the changes to their algo (CN FAST, HEAVY, LITE, SABER...).

FPGA devs will have to adapt.

If new algos are going to be as unpredictable/difficult to optimize as X16R is, I do not see any long term revival. It is not about how viable a coin is - it is about mining it in a predictable manner. Most people do not handle uncertainty well.

Then those that cannot handle uncertainty well will be left behind, and those that can will reap the rewards. That’s not just mining, that’s life.

Activity: 1179
August 14, 2018, 10:47:31 PM

Activity: 241
Merit: 100
To Hash or not to Hash, that's what the question
August 14, 2018, 05:50:22 PM
- its a business, there never will be fairness when it touches profit.
(added) in order for one to win, other has to lose.
Activity: 1120
August 11, 2018, 06:34:00 PM

Activity: 154
Merit: 37
August 11, 2018, 06:07:23 PM
A new generation of GPU is coming + clever devs want to use more of the CPU / GPU advantages to make them much more relevant against FPGAs and ASICs. I think the relevant CN coins will follow Monero then adapt the changes to their algo (CN FAST, HEAVY, LITE, SABER...).

FPGAs are NOT “ASICs” - they are actually much closer to GPUs. They are fully programmable and reprogramable and capable of any algorithm a GPU is in principle (not saying every algorithm will have better performance or even the same, just that it can be done). FPGAs with HBM bandwidth matching or exceeding GPUs and dedicated logic are coming, and can be in the same price range. It isn’t a winnable fight - and shouldn’t be a fight at all. It would be like trying to make an AMD CPU only coin.

Lumping ASICs and FPGAs into the same category is bad for mining. It wastes resources fighting something that is inherently good general purpose hardware that should be made widely available. There will be hundreds of thousands of FPGAs in the general market at some point in the future.
August 11, 2018, 04:54:48 PM

If new algos are going to be as unpredictable/difficult to optimize as X16R is, I do not see any long term revival. It is not about how viable a coin is - it is about mining it in a predictable manner. Most people do not handle uncertainty well.
Activity: 1120
August 11, 2018, 03:19:58 PM

August 11, 2018, 03:06:56 PM

CNv2 and General: SQRL Miner loads bitstreams onto the Acorn and will get updated to handle various things. The Acorn in particular works on a part of CN that isn’t much affected by the fork.

Nevertheless they are claiming all FPGAs will be 4x slower on CNv2. Is this true for the Acorns?

Do you please have a link to this Monero release? I heard of it numerous times but I do not see any reference to it on Monero "official" Web site and I cannot really find detailed information. Thank you.

Reddit monero forum / chanel if not mistaken.
I will. Thank you. I have to admit that I am becoming frustrated with the current GPU/FPGA mining scene.

Ps. I still do not see a clear time line for the fork after going through many posts on Reddit
Pages:
Jump to: