Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 148. (Read 529056 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
Hello everyone. I just read in the S3 thread about this venture having issue and I see that there a lot of pages to fill in. Someone please tell me the TL;DR version. Chip specs are good or not? What went wrong?
Nobody knows, and Alpha-T aren't telling anybody anything except "soon".  There hasen't been a real update from Alpha-T in 2 months.  They are also unlawfully denying refunds and giving bogus excuses.  Company directors are being removed from the team page, and the father and brother are now claiming they have no official roll in the company...

If you post a question on their forums that they don't like (even if it's polite and well worded), they ban you permanently (by IP and username, so you can't even read the forums).

It's starting to look, very clearly, like the Akram family is trying to leave Mohammed Mubasher Akram (Alpha-T's Managing Director and Operations Manager) out to hang for this.  Bankruptcy being right around the corner seems like a distinct possibility.

So another mining operation funded with others people money...
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Hello everyone. I just read in the S3 thread about this venture having issue and I see that there a lot of pages to fill in. Someone please tell me the TL;DR version. Chip specs are good or not? What went wrong?
Nobody knows, and Alpha-T aren't telling anybody anything except "soon".  There hasen't been a real update from Alpha-T in 2 months.  They are also unlawfully denying refunds and giving bogus excuses.  Company directors are being removed from the team page, and the father and brother are now claiming they have no official roll in the company...

If you post a question on their forums that they don't like (even if it's polite and well worded), they ban you permanently (by IP and username, so you can't even read the forums).

It's starting to look, very clearly, like the Akram family is trying to leave Mohammed Mubasher Akram (Alpha-T's Managing Director and Operations Manager) out to hang for this.  Bankruptcy being right around the corner seems like a distinct possibility.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
Alpha-T could still claim they have fired the Rest of there Clan because they are incapable to do the Job.  Wink
You mean the one remaining director (Mohammed Mubasher Akram) fired his brother and father, who are apparently heavily invested in the company themselves?  
Ya?... no...

I love the Team page... it cracks me up:

Fiaz Malik (Customer Manager)

Fiaz manages our day to day administration and customer service department. He has worked in various customer service roles in the past and has a very customer focused approach and is our community manager so he will be very active on forums, twitter etc.

Fiaz is responsible for providing input on how to improve our internal processes in order to enhance the customer experience. He has a very positive attitude to customers and is always proactive in serving them. In addition to his main duties he is also in charge of liaising with press.
Corrected: He has a very negative attitude to customers and is proactive in dismissing and banning them.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Alpha-T could still claim they have fired the Rest of there Clan because they are incapable to do the Job.  Wink
https://web.archive.org/web/20140702185646/https://alpha-t.net/about-us/team-2/
vs
https://alpha-t.net/about-us/team-2/

Muhammad Akram (Business Adviser)
and
Mohammed Jafar Akram (Accounts Manager)

Removed from the "Our Team" page.

Don't accept this bullshit - everyone needs to file formal complaints against these two individuals.

Muhammad Akram (Business Adviser)

Muhammad is the father of the founder of Alpha Technology. He currently works as a Business Adviser for Alpha Technology. He provides Alpha Technology with business advice if and when required, the wealth of business experience and knowledge he brings is unparalleled and is a major factor in this projects success.

He was a Regional Financial Accountant at the International Firm IMI Plc. during the late 70s all the way through to the mid-80s, when he eventually decided to focus on his accountancy practice full time. During his time at IMI Plc., he earned a high level of respect and prestige from senior management due to his hard work, integrity, technical expertise and innovation. In the early 80s he led a team at IMI Plc. which created a computerised accounting system that was at the time used nationally.

Since 1986, Muhammad has been running his own accountancy practice M Akram & Co, and dealing with the taxes and accounts of local businesses. He is a qualified Financial Accountant and also a Certified Public Accountant.

Mohammed Jafar Akram (Accounts Manager)

Jafar is a qualified Chartered Certified Accountant and has over 5 years experience working in general accountancy practice. He has extensive experience in dealing with the taxes and accounts of businesses from a wide range of sectors.

Jafar is responsible for ensuring our finance department is running smoothly and liases with external Accountants, Auditors and Tax Advisers on behalf of Alpha Technology in ensuring that all the financial and tax affairs are complete and up to date.

They sure look like culpable employees to me, and this attempt to distance themselves stands as evidence of their fraud.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140124193201/https://alpha-t.net/about-us/team-2/
^ Also, don't forget the original version with their pictures...

Mohammed Mubasher Akram (Managing Director and Operations Manager)

Mohammed Jafar Akram (Finance Director & Accounts Manager)

BTW, Fiaz et al. your stupid forums bans are what drove people here...
vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
copper member
Activity: 658
Blockchain Just Entered The Real World
I should probably add for those who are not in the UK and are considering using Money claim online you will need a service address. This is an address in the UK where mail is sent, then forwarded on to you. Here is one such company, I have never used them so check them out yourselves but they do forward mail internationally and accept personal as well as business customers.

http://www.cityaddress.co.uk/index.html

Hope this helps

Thank you retro, im collecting your posts on my desktop.

I have given Alpha some time by 31st July to pay full refund. But i dunno what i have to do after this deadline, there are many possibilities. One of them is to file a claim via https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome (or other claim sites), but if many customers are going to do so, Alpha could go down (or flee to asian nations where they came from) and nobody of us would get any fiat from Alpha. The most safe way is to sell account on ebay, to get ie 70% of what you have payed for your order. Dunno, have to think about next steps. Alpha even could delete the customer account if you start a big shitstorm here on the forums or via claim-websites...
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
I will offer some simple advice...

google UK lawyers and contact one.

If you get 50% to 70% of your money back from a lawsuit you're ahead of the game because you can buy more right now with that 50% to 70% than your originally paid for.

hire an attorney.

I'm not a customer of theirs, but I've hired attornies on other countries in the past when I felt I was getting screwed.
Activity: 1036
This is painful but at least its over now. We can all move on and just write it off as a loss and another lesson learned  Embarrassed
Activity: 433
I should probably add for those who are not in the UK and are considering using Money claim online you will need a service address. This is an address in the UK where mail is sent, then forwarded on to you. Here is one such company, I have never used them so check them out yourselves but they do forward mail internationally and accept personal as well as business customers.

http://www.cityaddress.co.uk/index.html

Hope this helps
copper member
Activity: 658
Blockchain Just Entered The Real World
Activity: 616
For almost 3 months now, they've been unable to provide details, continue to say there are small delays for reasons they cannot explain, but keep telling folks that a big update is coming.

Hilarious. At least with BFL they provided some comedy along the way.

From what I have been told, I believe Alpha Technology is still ahead of many of the competitor companies they were originally being put up against as competition originally, in terms of where they are and I believe Alpha Technology has been more transparent than many of these other companies. I believe from what I have been told, that Alpha Technology is nearing the end of the project and a working prototype will be demonstrated very soon.

There is an easy out for Alpha-T from the building storm.

I agree, and AT must be delusional to believe they're ahead. Other companies are already shipping. KNC "should" be shipping in August. They already have their cases, supporting gear, support PCB's, etc. They began tapeout in.. May? I might be off, but there's no way AT is ahead of anyone. Talk about delusional.

They're becoming desperate to deceive people.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
From what I have been told, I believe Alpha Technology is still ahead of many of the competitor companies they were originally being put up against as competition originally, in terms of where they are and I believe Alpha Technology has been more transparent than many of these other companies. I believe from what I have been told, that Alpha Technology is nearing the end of the project and a working prototype will be demonstrated very soon.

There is an easy out for Alpha-T from the building storm.

An officer of the company (not a relative who spends a whole page explaining that they are not responsible for all the problems which don't exist) needs to make an immediate public statement which:

1) re-instates banned customers to the AT forums

2) provides an honest and factual summary of any financial or other problems the company may be facing which is hindering its ability to deliver a working product on schedule

3) provides an honest and factual update on wafer production

4) provides an honest statement regarding product performance and shipping schedules

5) withdraws illegal restrictions on customer's rights to exercise their contractual rights to a refund

6) agrees to process any customer refunds in a timely manner
legendary
ex uno plures
Anyhow, I and my father would be grateful if you did not contact us with your abuse, especially considering the as we currently have no operational duties or responsibilities with Alpha Technology, neither are we employees of Alpha Technology and when /if we are contracted by Alpha Technology to carry out any duties we carry them out free of charge and at our own expense.

Sounds to me like they are worried about a personal visit from unhappy customers …

legendary
ex uno plures
Ok digging into this deeper I found how Alpha Technologies assumed that miners are businesses.  They don't have a legal attorney.  They themselves imposed the ruling and all based on what they think the future regulations minght be because of some interpretation they made from the US IRS rules  https://forum.alpha-t.net/index.php?topic=503.0

I read the publication of this 'accountants guidance' a little differently than you do Anderl, perhaps its just my suspicious nature. This sounds awfully like  'If you cause problems for us with the authorities we will cause problems for you'  … combined with the implicit carrot 'We can help you with these problems … as a geeky tax guy I understand bitcoin regulations and there may be ways to mitigate your large liabilities'

…. carrot and stick IIRC

On the other hand it could just be well intended thoughtful generous free advice.
Activity: 433
It looks like anderl's post struck a nerve. Once again Alpha sends out another non employee to express their "personal opinions", rather than Alpha posting themselves .

Politics & Society / Re: Cryptocurrency Tax Blog

« Last post by mjakram on Today at 12:31:20 PM »
Hey Guys

I know it has been a while since I have updated this blog, however I will be getting back to it sometime in August covering more areas of taxation which I have I have been researching on. I have been extremely busy with work with a couple of Client Company filing deadlines coming up at the end of July 2014.

A quick message. I have been receiving several messages on Facebook, and LinkedIn from customers and other individuals interested (more so over the last couple of day's) referring me personally in forums and on this blog asking for answers on certain issues.

I will answer the types of questions/accusations which have been put out about me which have been put out and answer them here (this is not representative of anything official from Alpha Technology and is my personal views and thoughts):

Q's) Why haven't we gotten an update in so long? What has happened, why aren't you updating us? Did something go wrong? Etc.

A) Firstly, I'd like to clarify as I stated in the blog above. I am not involved in or responsible for ANY of the operational side of Alpha Technology, therefore my guess to the answers to these questions was as good as yours.

I was previously employed on a part time basis (working on evenings and weekends), as accounts manager to help out with bookkeeping, liaising with external accountants and payroll.

I can confirm that I am currently not employed by Alpha Technology and neither am I receiving any type of remuneration or wages from the company. I am currently only carrying out payroll duties one day a month and liaising between Alpha Technology's Accountant’s and Alpha Technology, a couple of hours a quarter.

Back to the question above, I have spoken to an Alpha Technology employee with the questions raised to me, and he assured me that nothing has gone wrong, there is a short delay for various reasons (did not go into specifics), and a big update is soon to come.

I also raised some of the concerns that I have been receiving and my own concerns about this. However, I was assured that everything is going well and they are waiting on information from external parties before releasing an update.

Q) Your blog means your terms are illegal and you’re not complying with distance selling regulations (DSR)? Please explain? Did you use solicitors or did you make them up yourself? Did you use a solicitor from moss side?

A) I am an accountant and not a lawyer. I am not qualified to give legal advice and neither do alpha technology use me as legal adviser. The last time I checked, all of Alpha Technology’s legal situations were being dealt with a pretty well re-known international law firm which is not based in Moss Side (not that there is anything wrong with solicitors based in Moss Side, I am sure they are very competent) and I do know that quite large sums of money have been paid to this law firm (as I have seen invoices because used to do the book-keeping), in order to ensure everything is legally up to scratch. So I am guessing that all rules and regulations are being complied with, and I would be surprised and extremely concerned if they were intentionally not being complied with.

On another note, my blog is a “Tax Blog” and not a DSR or a Legal Blog, and as a professional I cannot and will not advice on any area that I am not qualified to do so in. However, I would like to make the following point; the issue of whether or not people are businesses is a much wider concept than that of trading. So just because the badges of trade fail from a tax perspective, doesn’t mean that they are not in business from a legal perspective. A very simple example is an investment company that buys securities and just takes income, is a business. So, people referring to the HMRC link in my blog, or using my blog to justify a complex legal concept and applying it to a situation, are wrong in doing so and completely out of their depth. Please, obtain advice from legal professionals who are qualified in this area of law and use their advice as a source and not some self-proclaimed “expert” on a forum.

I am no expert in this area, however, if this situation was as simple and straightforward as some of these self-proclaimed “experts” are suggesting in certain forums, which I have just had a skim read through, and for arguments sake Alpha Technology’s solicitors who are actually experts in this area were wrong or Alpha Technology misunderstood the advice, I am sure Trading Standards or any other regulatory body in charge of this would have forced Alpha Technology to change their terms to comply by now. I mean it has been 7 months or so since these terms went up. (Again, I am no expert and neither do I speak on behalf of Alpha Technology… Just my thoughts)

Q's/Accusations) Have you scammers, ran off to India? You terrorists, you are funding Al-Qaeda? I bet your driving around in a Ferrari right now, you criminal fraudsters /bas***/crooks. Etc.

A) I personally am disgusted at some of these accusations, racist comments, and childish internet bully-like behaviour. Albeit, the majority of the abuse is coming from people who are not customers, and want to sprout their hateful comments for reasons they only know.

On a personal note. When I was a part time employee/director of Alpha Technology I put in a lot of time and sacrificed a lot of my personal time, which I could have been spending with my family and friends, in carrying out accounting related duties for Alpha Technology. I asked to be paid a minimalist salary and was paid a salary which equated to less than UK minimum wage (I was only paid for 3 months work). Before that and after that any work I have been carrying out has been free of charge to Alpha Technology and at my own expense. Before Pre orders were taken, I loaned Alpha Technology several thousand pounds of my own personal money to help get the company started. As it stands, I have given Alpha Technology several thousand pounds more of my own money than I have received back to date from the company in any form.

The same can be said for the other employees of Alpha Technology. I do carry out payroll duties and I do know that they are getting paid very modest salaries equating to around the UK minimum wage mark. I also know for a fact that to date my brother (CEO of Alpha Technology) has also borrowed money from several family members and loaned the money to Alpha Technology and to date he has put in more money in the form of loans than he has been paid out in any form.

My father (the final Akram whose name is mentioned in Alpha Technology). Has to date received ZERO remuneration or salary or any form of monies from Alpha Technology and loaned my brother (CEO of Alpha Technology) several thousand pounds of his own money, which was then put into Alpha Technology.

It may surprise some of you but as it stands, these "scammers", "crooks" and what not are currently several thousand pounds less well-off now than they were Pre the existence of Alpha Technology, due to the savings that they have loaned to the company in helping start-up the business.

Anyhow, I and my father would be grateful if you did not contact us with your abuse, especially considering the as we currently have no operational duties or responsibilities with Alpha Technology, neither are we employees of Alpha Technology and when /if we are contracted by Alpha Technology to carry out any duties we carry them out free of charge and at our own expense.

I would also like to clarify that we are Accountants and currently run a business which takes up pretty much all of our working time, and we have never been and never were to be involved in any of Alpha Technology’s operations. Our intention was simply to provide basic accounting help and advice to help start up the company, until it came to a point that Alpha Technology were in a position to pass on these duties completely onto an external firm of accountants, which they have done so to an accounting firm which is currently ranked in the top 100 accounting firms in the UK Smiley. I am pretty comfortable knowing they are in good hands.

I, and my father currently have little to no involvement or knowledge of the operations of the business. That is not to say that we do not have an interest in the business, we rightly do so as so much of our personal money is in Alpha Technology, and we could potentially lose it all in the unlikely situation if things were to go wrong.

And just to clarify and to summarise, NO we are not driving around in Ferraris or going on exotic holidays or funding any terrorist organisation with yours or our money Smiley. YOUR money is being used to develop and manufacture YOUR product.

Concluding Comments

I am aware that the vast majority of the customers have been extremely courteous and patient. I also know that this business, especially considering it is a “pre-order” model would not have been a successful venture without those people who took a risk. I would personally like to thank every single customer for that.

Please also note, that the majority of the people who seem to be abusing and hating are NOT customers, and I have no interest in pleasing them or addressing them because I know, that no matter what I, or Alpha Technology, or anyone who is involved with Alpha Technology says or does, these people will just continue picking dirt and hating (whether what they say with so much conviction is correct or not is a completely different matter).

And again to clarify, none of what I have said here represents Alpha Technology or their views. I am purely stating my personal opinion as someone who also has put a lot of money in Alpha Technology, and is patiently waiting for the successful completion of this project to see my money back

I see he and his father are trying to distance themselves from Alpha. This is not a good sign. I find it interesting that after claiming to have invested thousands of pounds into Alpha, an "employee" wouldn't tell him, or he didn't care to know what the delays were.
I Also see he still has not disclosed this "international firm of solicitors" (just got an upgrade from a "leading UK firm") Presumably the same firm that wrote this typo ridden garbage:

"For clients whom have ordered before the 1st of July 2014, the terms at the time of your order are still in effect and will remain in being in effect. We will link them from within this document soon, so you may review them in the event you did not store a copy for your own use.

Shipping

We hope shipping will start in the second or third quarter of 2014.
Shipping will commence as soon as possible after your payment has been received. We do our best to get the hardware to you within the shortest amount of time possible. Due to the very high volume of orders we experience and limited hardware availability, we may encounter delays. Non the less, we will do our utmost best to ensure you will always receive your product within 90 days."

If their comprehension of the law is as good as their grasp of time, spelling and grammar I can see why they got it so wrong.

I think the post above is correct. The accountants in the family who played a role in this should be reported to the CPAA. They are clearly trying to distance themselves from this mess so they at least survive with their careers in tact. But as employees of this enterprise, former or otherwise they should be held accountable. Let the CPAA decide if their part in this debacle deserves sanction or not.

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
I have received a letter back from the UK Citizens Advice Bureau, it reads as follows.....

Dear *********,

Thank you for your e mail about case reference number CS *********

Thanks for updating us about your case.

Your rights and obligations
When you enter into a contract with a trader by means of a distance communication (telephone, internet, mail order etc.) you will often have cancellation rights under what is known as the Distance Selling Regulations. These state you are entitled to a written notice confirming the details of your order and the fact you have cancellation rights. If you have been given the notice at the time you place the order, your cancellation rights run from the time of order until  7 working days starting from the day after  you receive the goods. If you have not been provided with this written information, your cancellation rights are extended for up to 3 months and 7 working days. To cancel you must inform the trader of your intention, either by letter, email or fax - where you may ask for a full refund (including any delivery charges). The trader must provide this refund within thirty days. To be effective, your cancellation notice must be sent before the end of the cancellation period described above.

You will be able to withdraw from the order at any time for any reason for a refund as long as the goods are not customised in any way making them bespoke.

Criminal offence
If the trader is not allowing you to cancel as per this legislation then this could amount to a criminal offence.

Your next steps
At this stage it might be best to simply discuss the matter with the trader. However, if you are unable to reach an agreeable solution you could take a more formal approach and write. Your letter should outline all relevant events and make it clear both what action you expect from the trader, and why. It should also give the trader a reasonable time in which to respond to your claim(s), e.g. fourteen days.

In addition, sending your letter by “recorded delivery” will provide you with proof of posting; a signature on delivery and online confirmation of delivery.
The reason we suggest this, is just in case you and the trader fail to reach an amicable resolution.  Having a record of your correspondence, and confirmation of delivery, could help demonstrate how and when you attempted to resolve the dispute yourself, should you need to escalate your complaint. Furthermore, the trader would find it difficult to maintain that you have never actually raised a complaint with them if they have signed for your letter. This may be helpful if you consider Court action or some form of formal / managed dispute resolution in the future.

Alternatively, you may consider obtaining a Certificate of Posting - from the Post Office - when you post your letter. Although this does not prove delivery, it can help to show that you sent a letter, on a particular day, to a particular address.

What we’ll do
Due to the business practices described, we will be forwarding the information to Trading Standards for further consideration.  The case details will also be placed on a central database that can be accessed by all other Local Authority Trading Standards Services throughout the UK.

Although we work closely with Trading Standards departments, we are a separate organisation. Individual complaints do not necessarily lead to immediate enforcement action as, sometimes, numerous complaints are needed before effective action can take place.  The information is, however, valuable intelligence for Trading Standards Services and other Government departments. Trading Standards will only contact you if they need further information or feel they could be of further assistance. We cannot make any commitment that Trading Standards will definitely contact you.

If you want to discuss this further please call us on 03454 04 05 06 or reply to this e mail

Kind regards
Citizens Advice consumer service

Things are moving forward I hope.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Below is a great site about one guys experience using Money Claim Online. (https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome)

http://www.howtotakesomeonetocourt.info/joomla/

If your claim is under £10,000 it can be heard in absentia. Although you must state this is how you wish to proceed in your claim. Once the claim is made, Alpha will be notified within 2 working days and will have 14 days to respond. If they do not dispute the case, or respond you will be awarded a judgement by default and Alpha will be ordered to pay you in full.

If Alpha choose to dispute the claim they will also be saddled with court costs WHEN they lose. These will be substantial on multiple claims. I would suggest you coordinate your claims so Alpha are bombarded with many claims at once.

Your case, if you are a consumer should be based on the UK Distance Selling Regulations but you should also build a case for breach of contract if Alpha do not deliver by the 31st July (10 weeks after final payment was asked for) and because they have not notified their customers of the exact shipping date, as stated in their contract. Also you could also make a case for them not supplying "frequent" updates with videos/images, as this was also in their contract.

If you are a business you are not covered by the DSR so your case will have to be built around breach of contract.

I would suggest all claimants communicate and coordinate via PM as Fiaz monitors this site.

Or you could just sidestep the courts and unleash the debt collectors on to them. Cost: 15% of recovered funds. No win no fee.

http://www.debt-collection-service.co.uk/#

I don't know how effective these guys are but they might be worth a try.

Thanks again Retro72. Great information. I agree with you regarding the importance of that July 31st date.
I'll be watching it closely. Keep the great info coming.

I HIGHLY doubt AT will dispute the claim (maybe to delay things, but not to fight) as CLEARLY we are not businesses. That distance selling regulation seems key for many of us.

Its about sharing
Activity: 616
Well the comments are starting to pick up quick. Looks like more people are coming out of the cracks, pretty angry at the company.

And *still* they have no excuse for what they've done.
Jump to: