Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 170. (Read 529056 times)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
The market cap of LTC isnt a good determination of if new equipment is a good idea or not. Folks were mining BTC with GPU's and CPU's when it wasn't worth anything. It may impact ROI, but that's just a may which is short-term, and even then the gold-strikers have to risk something.

True, but the times were different. We have new alts (e.g. anonymous ones in DRK, XMR, etc.) that are taking market share and not to mention it has become a downward moving market. That said, this area is still just getting started and I wouldn't be shocked to see LTC go back down to .0035-.007 or so and then recover later. At that point though and with a high difficulty, mining would make little sense, but buying would. I would probably get back in some down there.

I think the price is very artificial right now, and there have been some unusual dumps too. It can be taken any which way, but my gut says people are trying to keep it low right now to buy it up. Because fairly soon, the difficulty is going to go up a notch. And then when KNC delivers it's going to blow off the charts.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
The market cap of LTC isnt a good determination of if new equipment is a good idea or not. Folks were mining BTC with GPU's and CPU's when it wasn't worth anything. It may impact ROI, but that's just a may which is short-term, and even then the gold-strikers have to risk something.

I can see now why KnC made the Titans non-refundable.  No hedging there.

yeah my timing was epic on the titan as well...2 weeks before KNC went to the dark side and it all went to hell

I've learned to read TOS's now (the no refund I knew about but trusted them silly me ..the 90 warrenty caugtht me by surprise!)

(i such a funny little clueless hairless human primate....I never learn...scratches crotch)

Searing
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile

True, but the times were different. We have new alts (e.g. anonymous ones in DRK, XMR, etc.) that are taking market share and not to mention it has become a downward moving market. That said, this area is still just getting started and I wouldn't be shocked to see LTC go back down to .0035-.007 or so and then recover later. At that point though and with a high difficulty, mining would make little sense, but buying would. I would probably get back in some down there.
legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

I can see now why KnC made the Titans non-refundable.  No hedging there.
legendary
Antifragile
As mentioned before, a bigger problem is the LTC price. http://www.coindesk.com/litecoin-price-decouples-bitcoin-slump-continues/

A snippet:

The biggest problem is the sheer lack of money in litecoin and that other popular alternative cryptocurrency dogecoin.

The combined market cap of the two most popular scrypt altcoins is about $250m, yet KnCMiner was hoping to sell 2,500 Titan miners at $10,000 apiece – and that’s just the first batch of such miners, from a single company.

In other words, if it shipped today, a single batch of KnC’s scrypt miners would cost $25m – roughly 10% of the combined market cap of litecoin and dogecoin.

A glance at those figures reveals that this level of investment in scrypt mining hardware will be hard to justify and maintain in the long run.

Additionally, the added hashing power these miners will bring is likely to further impact prices of scrypt-based altcoins in the near future.

I dunno, I think the biggest issue with this company is still the fact that they took your money and didn't deliver a product (and looks like they never will).  Why do you defend this company so much?  Seriously you have defended their every move all the way down, and now, when it is obvious to even the most hard core shills that no product is ever going to get delivered, your attitude seems to be, well it doesn't matter, the product wasn't going to be profitable anyway.  As if that somehow excused their behavior.
With that said, you are correct about their return, or lack thereof.  As near as my estimations can tell, you could have the 250Mh/s device delivered TODAY and it will never pay for itself.  

I think you have selective memory here. I wouldn't call my actions as defending them. I was often critical of them, especially in the last 3 weeks or so. The thing I did jump into was to quell the personal attacks. I saw those as getting in the way. You need to take a look at my posts over the last few weeks before spouting that stuff again, and don't be selective. Look at them all. Multiple times I mentioned and thankedboth Retro and Vesper for their work.

I might have lost 500 Euro. I don't even make much money but I have called my investments right in this space spectacularly so, and taken some, what others would call, huge risks along the way. So I am not sure if you expect me to be angry or the like. I move on and don't hold. I am super happy to have been able to experience all that I have in this space, everything. I am just not very affected by all of this. I'm honestly enjoying life too much.

I chose my handle for a reason,
Its about sharing

Ps - My post you replied to had NOTHING at all to do with discounting AT. I was saying the crashing price of LTC is a huge issue. And probably losing just the deposit would be better, for me anyway, than having a miner right now, as you alluded to. Less of a loss financially perhaps.
Activity: 714
Fiaz (July 02, 2014): "Shipping is not expected to start on the 15th"

So we know the "optimistic" scenario won't fire.

Well. Can't say I didn't see this coming.

Notice the details of the statement.  Or the absence of one.

He never offered any information or even allusion to when shipping will start.

So while shipping will definitely not start on the 15th.... 2 weeks later than expected.  It may not even start in July.  If shipping would not start on the 15th but AT knew that it would start on the 30th then they would have promptly mentioned that in order to offset the bad news.  So shipping may nor even start in August!!!!!
Activity: 714
Is it just me, or did Alpha just lock down almost all of their forums (except a general page) to members only? I can't reach threads I was able to browse prior, without logging in.

Yes, it looks like the sub forums for the company, about us, the team are all deleted or are private now.  Most of them redirect to static pages on the alpha-tech website.  Others just 404.  More lock down.  I think Fiaz is scared of making too many amnnoucements public knowledge.

But it is a bit scammy to lock down discussion about company details.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
As mentioned before, a bigger problem is the LTC price. http://www.coindesk.com/litecoin-price-decouples-bitcoin-slump-continues/

A snippet:

The biggest problem is the sheer lack of money in litecoin and that other popular alternative cryptocurrency dogecoin.

The combined market cap of the two most popular scrypt altcoins is about $250m, yet KnCMiner was hoping to sell 2,500 Titan miners at $10,000 apiece – and that’s just the first batch of such miners, from a single company.

In other words, if it shipped today, a single batch of KnC’s scrypt miners would cost $25m – roughly 10% of the combined market cap of litecoin and dogecoin.

A glance at those figures reveals that this level of investment in scrypt mining hardware will be hard to justify and maintain in the long run.

Additionally, the added hashing power these miners will bring is likely to further impact prices of scrypt-based altcoins in the near future.

I dunno, I think the biggest issue with this company is still the fact that they took your money and didn't deliver a product (and looks like they never will).  Why do you defend this company so much?  Seriously you have defended their every move all the way down, and now, when it is obvious to even the most hard core shills that no product is ever going to get delivered, your attitude seems to be, well it doesn't matter, the product wasn't going to be profitable anyway.  As if that somehow excused their behavior.
With that said, you are correct about their return, or lack thereof.  As near as my estimations can tell, you could have the 250Mh/s device delivered TODAY and it will never pay for itself. 
legendary
Antifragile

A snippet:

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
A sub-forum at alpha-t:

Ask Us Anything!
Note this board is not for customer service; such queries should be emailed to us and will be promptly deleted.

Such promptness ! Many openness. Very fishy.

weminecoins on July 01, 2014, 05:15:02 PM
   Fiaz will you be making an update some time today?

Fiaz on July 01, 2014, 05:49:20 PM
   Not today no but we will be releasing one soon and I believe with images to show.

------------------

This is fckng crazy !!!!

At this moment... images on alpha-t website are 1 rack-unit renders... when they told us vipers will be 5 rack-units

It is so hard to show an updated render?

When I looked earlier this week, they had put a 5U render on the site. But you know what gets me, their power design requires an external PSU. So in addition to the unit of the machine, now you have to deal with rack displacement for PSU's nearby the systems.

At least it's not like they've changed 4/5ths of the design they originally sold people, after taking money from people.

Oh wait.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250

weminecoins on July 01, 2014, 05:15:02 PM
   Fiaz will you be making an update some time today?

Fiaz on July 01, 2014, 05:49:20 PM
   Not today no but we will be releasing one soon and I believe with images to show.

------------------

This is fckng crazy !!!!

At this moment... images on alpha-t website are 1 rack-unit renders... when they told us vipers will be 5 rack-units

It is so hard to show an updated render?

Well. Can't say I didn't see this coming.
Activity: 532
I think what a lot of it boils down to is many people used coins to prepay, and probably feel the deposit loss isn't worth following up. People just shrug it off and keep mining, and that's how many of these scams and failed startups get away with virtual highway robbery.

Exactly.  This will lead to them shutting down and moving on.

Which is exactly what I expect to happen now. I think this is why they're not bothering to defend themselves any more here. The writing is on the wall. They want to ensure as little fuss as possible when they drop the bomb.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10

legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
I think what a lot of it boils down to is many people used coins to prepay, and probably feel the deposit loss isn't worth following up. People just shrug it off and keep mining, and that's how many of these scams and failed startups get away with virtual highway robbery.

Exactly.  This will lead to them shutting down and moving on.
Is it just me, or did Alpha just lock down almost all of their forums (except a general page) to members only? I can't reach threads I was able to browse prior, without logging in.
Wouldn't you want to follow these folks home to see where the money is going?

VesperWillow, I'm not sure you understand fully what people are dealing with here if you are encouraging people to 'follow these folks home' in an area just a few blocks from Moss Side.

See those steel shutters in the picture of the Alpha-T office ? There is a reason why they are there.

See that video camera on the building next door ? Ditto.

Seriously.

Don't worry the forum is full of keyboard warriors.
If it was different a few guys from BFL would have already been run down by cars or hanged or god knows what.

I saw so many threats but they still appear in public at conferences and nobody dears to throw a glass of water at them.

Like I said before, I've operated in far worse. But the safety suggestions are good for most people.

I think if we saw more cold-cash deals going on, especially from locals, you'd hear about more actual store-front interactions/followups in cases like these.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
Wouldn't you want to follow these folks home to see where the money is going?

VesperWillow, I'm not sure you understand fully what people are dealing with here if you are encouraging people to 'follow these folks home' in an area just a few blocks from Moss Side.

See those steel shutters in the picture of the Alpha-T office ? There is a reason why they are there.

See that video camera on the building next door ? Ditto.

Seriously.

Don't worry the forum is full of keyboard warriors.
If it was different a few guys from BFL would have already been run down by cars or hanged or god knows what.

I saw so many threats but they still appear in public at conferences and nobody dears to throw a glass of water at them.
Jump to: