Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 167. (Read 529056 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Actually, you signed a contract that specifically states you are NOT entitled to compensation for their negligence. 

But if it contradicts consumer law, then the contract isn't valid. That's like saying you can commit a criminal act just because a contract says you can. It's erroneous. Their legal team blurb is nonsense. You take their T&Cs to a real lawyer and they'll tear it apart.

I realize that here in the USA contract law tends to be much stricter than in other parts of the world.  Even so, I would be very curious what part of UK law you are referring to when you say such a clause is illegal.  Do you actually have a law in mind (and if so, which one) or are you just talking out of your ass?  Again, I realize this is coming from the USA and not the UK, but virtually every warranty you get here specifically excludes compensation for incidental damages (example, you buy a server and it breaks.  They can be made to pay for the server, but not the money you lost from not having a working server).  They have been consistently upheld by the courts, and in most cases so have TOSs.  Now we do know that UK law makes their clause about no returns illegal, but I would be very surprised if you had a law that makes it illegal to bar incidental damages.  I'm always willing to learn though, which law do you speak of?

But see here is the thing, and this is why this sort of shit continues to happen.  Now, I will be the first to say these AT guys are a bunch of scumbags.  In fact, I HAVE been saying it the whole time.  But at the same time, isn't there at least some level of personal responsibility that goes into this?  I mean, you read a contract where they write right into the contract that they can purposefully rip you off and they are not responsible, legal or illegal, that didn't give anyone pause before sending them thousands of dollars?  The fact that exactly 0 of these preorders have ever gone well for the customer, that didn't give anyone pause?  I mean, GAW miners just released yet another one of these preorders about a week ago and I have seen some of the same people who got ripped off here, post over there that they preordered from them.  It's like, wtf really?

Well, I don't know about the US law, but in the UK, under the sales & goods act, the product has to be fit for purpose. If it breaks because it's a piece of badly made garbage, then the product does not meet your expectations, and is therefore covered under that condition. If the product specifications do not match what's been advertised, again, same principle applies.

USA laws are tough but currently not being enforced....Butterfly Labs has been 10 months behind on both 65mm and current 28mm products consistently since around nov 2012....w/o out any enforcement ..money talks in usa ....so likely alpha and others looked at hashfast / bfl / etc and figured they had little to lose if it all went 'poof' in the nite..they are likely correct at least in usa

Searing

UK laws seem pretty clear to me, they are obligated to give a full refund, even if by some miracle they deliver a product you'd still have 7-days from delivery to return it and still get a full refund.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

For the tenth time, he wasn't looking for a refund, he was looking for compensatory damages above and beyond the full full refund.
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
Thanks for this link.

This is clearly what I intend to do. Return it straightaway.

I advise everyone to contact the ombudsman association as soon as possible.

!!!! They banned me permanently from their forum because I raised my concerns and asked for a refund !!!!

In the UK:
Citizens Advice Consumer Service Tel. 08454 040506

http://www.ombudsmanassociation.org/contact.php

We need to contact the ombudsman as soon as possible before they disappear with the money.

Activity: 655
Merit: 504
You wan chili saus?
Actually, you signed a contract that specifically states you are NOT entitled to compensation for their negligence. 

But if it contradicts consumer law, then the contract isn't valid. That's like saying you can commit a criminal act just because a contract says you can. It's erroneous. Their legal team blurb is nonsense. You take their T&Cs to a real lawyer and they'll tear it apart.

I realize that here in the USA contract law tends to be much stricter than in other parts of the world.  Even so, I would be very curious what part of UK law you are referring to when you say such a clause is illegal.  Do you actually have a law in mind (and if so, which one) or are you just talking out of your ass?  Again, I realize this is coming from the USA and not the UK, but virtually every warranty you get here specifically excludes compensation for incidental damages (example, you buy a server and it breaks.  They can be made to pay for the server, but not the money you lost from not having a working server).  They have been consistently upheld by the courts, and in most cases so have TOSs.  Now we do know that UK law makes their clause about no returns illegal, but I would be very surprised if you had a law that makes it illegal to bar incidental damages.  I'm always willing to learn though, which law do you speak of?

But see here is the thing, and this is why this sort of shit continues to happen.  Now, I will be the first to say these AT guys are a bunch of scumbags.  In fact, I HAVE been saying it the whole time.  But at the same time, isn't there at least some level of personal responsibility that goes into this?  I mean, you read a contract where they write right into the contract that they can purposefully rip you off and they are not responsible, legal or illegal, that didn't give anyone pause before sending them thousands of dollars?  The fact that exactly 0 of these preorders have ever gone well for the customer, that didn't give anyone pause?  I mean, GAW miners just released yet another one of these preorders about a week ago and I have seen some of the same people who got ripped off here, post over there that they preordered from them.  It's like, wtf really?

Well, I don't know about the US law, but in the UK, under the sales & goods act, the product has to be fit for purpose. If it breaks because it's a piece of badly made garbage, then the product does not meet your expectations, and is therefore covered under that condition. If the product specifications do not match what's been advertised, again, same principle applies.

USA laws are tough but currently not being enforced....Butterfly Labs has been 10 months behind on both 65mm and current 28mm products consistently since around nov 2012....w/o out any enforcement ..money talks in usa ....so likely alpha and others looked at hashfast / bfl / etc and figured they had little to lose if it all went 'poof' in the nite..they are likely correct at least in usa

Searing

UK laws seem pretty clear to me, they are obligated to give a full refund, even if by some miracle they deliver a product you'd still have 7-days from delivery to return it and still get a full refund.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
Why would anyone trust a company that works out of this office?

- -

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
More posts being removed / deleted. Always a good sign.

Have any refunds been issued recently, in the past couple weeks?
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
Well hello there!
Can you hear that?  That's the sound of the Fat Lady warming up fellas.  This train-wreck of a ride is bound to end soon.  And not for any of our good I suspect.
legendary
ex uno plures
Well even though fiaz doesn't post here anymore he does read these posts and chooses to not to provide proof or defend his position.
Yeah didn't he post recently here after the Moss Side story ? A one liner that didn't address any of the other issues but simply asserted that their office wasn't in Moss Side, it was a few city blocks away from Moss Side ?
Activity: 80
i asked them the refund of my 250 MH/S preorder. After weeks they give me back through Paypal the 50% less 70£..

Lips sealed
Activity: 714
Well even though fiaz doesn't post here anymore he does read these posts and chooses to not to provide proof or defend his position.

I know because I just had a post deleted because it was defamation of fiaz appearantly.

The fact that he does visit here and read the comments but does not response speaks a tremendous amount about his defense. He has none.

No credit card processor.
No chips.
No cases.
No power supplies.
No more money.

Face it Alpha Tech is wiped out.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
Yeah, I think that will be the bigger problem for AT right now in getting paid in full.  The numbers look dismal so why would anyone pay them more money to never get it back?
They have become victims of the ruthless hype cycle that surrounds cryptocurrencies.  You have to be fast or like KnC do not offer refunds.  AT may just be a victim of their own success in that they had massive numbers of pre-orders that did not cover all the costs incurred in the endeavor and now there is nothing left to finish the job as many miners have backed out/moved on and wrote off the loss.  It is typical around here.

EDIT:  If they showed a working prototype tomorrow would you really plunk down the remainder?  Be honest.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
I am selling my preorder ( Viper 50 mh/s ) at 1200 pounds instead of 1350 pounds. I already paid the order in full.

I think you probably came to the wrong place to try and sell this.  Given the typical rate of return on scrypt mining right now, and expected future decreases in profitability, I estimate 50Mh/s will product around 1.9BTC between now and the end of time, if you had the 50Mh/s right now.  Given that these machines in all likelihood will never exist, and even if they are eventually delivered it will not be for quite some time, these preorders at this point are virtually worthless.  AT's forums seem to be filled with the few people still optimistic about AT being able to deliver a working product in a timely fashion, your best bet would be to try and sell it there (assuming AT doesn't delete your posts there).
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
The absence of any attempt by Fiaz in this thread to address the concerns many have expressed here does not speak well for the chance of a positive outcome.

22 days since Amex contacted Alpha on WTF is going on ..Amex lady so far says NO RESPONSE of any kind from Alpha...NADA ZILCH..

Searing

Man, I really want to work for a company like Alpha-Tech!

You just tell your boss you will have your job done 'soon', and then sit back and relax the rest of the year  Cool

heh BFL employees work at Alpha as Management ..er makes sense!

Searing

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001
think about this -

even if they manage to produce 'something' does anyone honestly believe these guys will ship them out without 'testing' them for another 4-5 moths knowing full well that nothing will be done about it?

they are scammers, even if they actually produce something other other than lies and empty promises, they will still scam the arsehole out of any & every invesduh they have by the ball sack.

Activity: 76
I am selling my preorder ( Viper 50 mh/s ) at 1200 pounds instead of 1350 pounds. I already paid the order in full.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
The absence of any attempt by Fiaz in this thread to address the concerns many have expressed here does not speak well for the chance of a positive outcome.

I'd give him a few hours.  He likes to post late in the night or early int he morning in the UK.  But he did say soon.
legendary
ex uno plures
Activity: 616
More like never.. haha. If that's the situation, 3-4 months until system building and testing (of low quality/variance chips), that's horrible. If that is the situation.

Maybe someone with business credentials could email Drexel and offer money to buy out the design, especially if AT can't make payment, Drexel probably wouldn't mind doing it. Which would prove where AT's situation lies.

Maybe I should make some calls to friends haha.
Is there any credibility to this???

Quote from: alphawolf099 on June 15, 2014, 12:20:45 PM
Quote from: Cryptodevil on June 12, 2014, 08:49:13 AM
Quote from: Xajin on June 11, 2014, 06:03:38 PM
BTW - I've sent one very polite and well thought out email to Dexcel - this is not a deluge.

I got a reply from my friend at drexel designs, she said tapeout wouldn't begin till next month.
I also posted the reply on reddit with her permission.

So, there is working being done and they have a chip... If this is true could Alpha just share some info... at least enough to allay the scam argument (that is starting to make sense).

If this is true and tapeout hasn't even begun then Alpha-Tech might be WAAAAAYYYYY behind.  Say 60-90 days for tapeout. Another 2-3 weeks to assemble and 1-2 weeks for shipping? End of October maybe even November?
Jump to: