Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 166. (Read 529056 times)

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
Eric Gunn (VP of Asic Development)

A semiconductor executive with over 30 years global experience with a proven track record of delivering state-of-the-art technical and commercial solutions.

Eric has held senior management positions at various worldwide corporate companies including TSMC, GUC, National Semiconductor and Plessey as well as numerous start-up Fabless and ASIC companies.

Eric is responsible for all aspects of Alpha Technology ASIC development and supply chain including management of external design and manufacturing partners.

Maybe Eric would cast some light on current status. He seems to be the guy closest to the source. Someone knows Eric?

Anyone with a linkedIn account check for an Eric Gunn in the UK with a semiconductor background ?
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
"...and they're banning people who ask simple questions"

I am a living proof of this. I have just been banned permanently from their forum.

I have sent a message to the Citizen Advice Bureau and I intend to call them on the phone.

Can you post all the concerns you have ? I will talk to the CAB about them.
Activity: 84
Eric Gunn (VP of Asic Development)

A semiconductor executive with over 30 years global experience with a proven track record of delivering state-of-the-art technical and commercial solutions.

Eric has held senior management positions at various worldwide corporate companies including TSMC, GUC, National Semiconductor and Plessey as well as numerous start-up Fabless and ASIC companies.

Eric is responsible for all aspects of Alpha Technology ASIC development and supply chain including management of external design and manufacturing partners.

Maybe Eric would cast some light on current status. He seems to be the guy closest to the source. Someone knows Eric?
Activity: 84
I think we all just funded terrorism.

Angry Huh Angry

I don't think so but maybe their current stategy is simply to wait for III World War.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale
I think we all just funded terrorism.

Angry Huh Angry
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
The last couple of start-up OEM's I've tracked over the past year, have been 6 months late. December would be about right if that was the case.

Besides, they're only several weeks late on their next major update...
...and a couple of months late on the payment processor
...and the features/design they sold people on has changed almost 75%
...and they're removing their online presence rapidly, including their photos
...and they're banning people who ask simple questions
...and Drexel denied a partnership or anything to do with them at all
...and they can't even show a blinking LED from their "design"
...and their terms and conditions aren't legal
...and they're removing their answers to questions, and discussion with customers
...and they can't even show a functional controller PCB, a month or 2 late on that
...and they still expect you to give them money
...and they continue to tout transparency despite all of this
...and there's more!

What could possibly give anyone any reason to doubt them?

legendary
ex uno plures
Alpha still has an expected ship date of July in their most recent (June 20) newsletter.

"We will also be releasing a full guide on how to use the miners both with the WebGUI and without it before shipment (which will begin somewhere from the 15th-31st of July)."

If you read the statement carefully, it says 'somewhere from', not 'somewhere between'.

Needless to say, any date after July 31 (for example, December 1, 2015) lies 'somewhere from' July 31.

Activity: 76
Guys,

I advise everyone to contact the Citizen Advice Bureau as soon as possible before our money vanishes.

Here is the link to make a complaint :
https://ssl.datamotion.com/form.aspx?co=3438&frm=citacomplainform&to=flare.fromforms

Here is the link to their website :
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_protection_for_the_consumer_e/consumer_citizens_advice_consumer_service_e/if_you_need_more_help.htm

Activity: 207
Merit: 112
Just an update,
   After receiving 3 different emails from Alpha with 2 differing refund amounts, I finally received this message today.

"Hello there,

Your order has been successfully refunded. Please allow 1-5 working days for this payment to clear."

This was in response to an email I sent clarifying that I was indeed inside of the 75% purchase period. So, here's hoping?

If you remember previously, the order was placed on March 28th and cancelled on June 7th.
I'll update everyone if the transfer goes through and if it's for the correct amount!

EDIT: Received another email saying that a note was added to my account. The note reads "refunded 537.50" which is the correct amount so long as they issued it in GBP. So, there's that.

Hell has frozen over. I received my 75% return.
That is all.

I am officially done with this chapter.
Activity: 655
Merit: 504
You wan chili saus?
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Actually, you signed a contract that specifically states you are NOT entitled to compensation for their negligence. 

But if it contradicts consumer law, then the contract isn't valid. That's like saying you can commit a criminal act just because a contract says you can. It's erroneous. Their legal team blurb is nonsense. You take their T&Cs to a real lawyer and they'll tear it apart.

I realize that here in the USA contract law tends to be much stricter than in other parts of the world.  Even so, I would be very curious what part of UK law you are referring to when you say such a clause is illegal.  Do you actually have a law in mind (and if so, which one) or are you just talking out of your ass?  Again, I realize this is coming from the USA and not the UK, but virtually every warranty you get here specifically excludes compensation for incidental damages (example, you buy a server and it breaks.  They can be made to pay for the server, but not the money you lost from not having a working server).  They have been consistently upheld by the courts, and in most cases so have TOSs.  Now we do know that UK law makes their clause about no returns illegal, but I would be very surprised if you had a law that makes it illegal to bar incidental damages.  I'm always willing to learn though, which law do you speak of?

But see here is the thing, and this is why this sort of shit continues to happen.  Now, I will be the first to say these AT guys are a bunch of scumbags.  In fact, I HAVE been saying it the whole time.  But at the same time, isn't there at least some level of personal responsibility that goes into this?  I mean, you read a contract where they write right into the contract that they can purposefully rip you off and they are not responsible, legal or illegal, that didn't give anyone pause before sending them thousands of dollars?  The fact that exactly 0 of these preorders have ever gone well for the customer, that didn't give anyone pause?  I mean, GAW miners just released yet another one of these preorders about a week ago and I have seen some of the same people who got ripped off here, post over there that they preordered from them.  It's like, wtf really?

Well, I don't know about the US law, but in the UK, under the sales & goods act, the product has to be fit for purpose. If it breaks because it's a piece of badly made garbage, then the product does not meet your expectations, and is therefore covered under that condition. If the product specifications do not match what's been advertised, again, same principle applies.

USA laws are tough but currently not being enforced....Butterfly Labs has been 10 months behind on both 65mm and current 28mm products consistently since around nov 2012....w/o out any enforcement ..money talks in usa ....so likely alpha and others looked at hashfast / bfl / etc and figured they had little to lose if it all went 'poof' in the nite..they are likely correct at least in usa

Searing

UK laws seem pretty clear to me, they are obligated to give a full refund, even if by some miracle they deliver a product you'd still have 7-days from delivery to return it and still get a full refund.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

As a comparison USA laws are even more clear on what is fraud etc yet BFL has not shipped a product w/in 10 months since dec 2013 and now...so
it is a matter of enforcement....in the USA there is very little real consumer protection imho ....hopefully this is not the case in the UK (but don't count on
it)

Searing

Um, what USA law was not enforced?
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
Actually, you signed a contract that specifically states you are NOT entitled to compensation for their negligence. 

But if it contradicts consumer law, then the contract isn't valid. That's like saying you can commit a criminal act just because a contract says you can. It's erroneous. Their legal team blurb is nonsense. You take their T&Cs to a real lawyer and they'll tear it apart.

I realize that here in the USA contract law tends to be much stricter than in other parts of the world.  Even so, I would be very curious what part of UK law you are referring to when you say such a clause is illegal.  Do you actually have a law in mind (and if so, which one) or are you just talking out of your ass?  Again, I realize this is coming from the USA and not the UK, but virtually every warranty you get here specifically excludes compensation for incidental damages (example, you buy a server and it breaks.  They can be made to pay for the server, but not the money you lost from not having a working server).  They have been consistently upheld by the courts, and in most cases so have TOSs.  Now we do know that UK law makes their clause about no returns illegal, but I would be very surprised if you had a law that makes it illegal to bar incidental damages.  I'm always willing to learn though, which law do you speak of?

But see here is the thing, and this is why this sort of shit continues to happen.  Now, I will be the first to say these AT guys are a bunch of scumbags.  In fact, I HAVE been saying it the whole time.  But at the same time, isn't there at least some level of personal responsibility that goes into this?  I mean, you read a contract where they write right into the contract that they can purposefully rip you off and they are not responsible, legal or illegal, that didn't give anyone pause before sending them thousands of dollars?  The fact that exactly 0 of these preorders have ever gone well for the customer, that didn't give anyone pause?  I mean, GAW miners just released yet another one of these preorders about a week ago and I have seen some of the same people who got ripped off here, post over there that they preordered from them.  It's like, wtf really?

Well, I don't know about the US law, but in the UK, under the sales & goods act, the product has to be fit for purpose. If it breaks because it's a piece of badly made garbage, then the product does not meet your expectations, and is therefore covered under that condition. If the product specifications do not match what's been advertised, again, same principle applies.

USA laws are tough but currently not being enforced....Butterfly Labs has been 10 months behind on both 65mm and current 28mm products consistently since around nov 2012....w/o out any enforcement ..money talks in usa ....so likely alpha and others looked at hashfast / bfl / etc and figured they had little to lose if it all went 'poof' in the nite..they are likely correct at least in usa

Searing

UK laws seem pretty clear to me, they are obligated to give a full refund, even if by some miracle they deliver a product you'd still have 7-days from delivery to return it and still get a full refund.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

As a comparison USA laws are even more clear on what is fraud etc yet BFL has not shipped a product w/in 10 months since dec 2013 and now...so
it is a matter of enforcement....in the USA there is very little real consumer protection imho ....hopefully this is not the case in the UK (but don't count on
it)

Searing
legendary
ex uno plures
Anyone know when they next file accounts with Companies House ?
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
Even if you're entitled to a refund by UK law, it makes no difference if they claim they have no money left.

These guys are crooks, they've probably already devised a way to hide the money, either in BTC, or by having family members hold on to it or putting it in some other business.

Alpha Tech will simply declare bankruptcy and they'll never pay a dime.

......well they were accountants after all.  Creative accounting?  Wink
Activity: 89
Even if you're entitled to a refund by UK law, it makes no difference if they claim they have no money left.

These guys are crooks, they've probably already devised a way to hide the money, either in BTC, or by having family members hold on to it or putting it in some other business.

Alpha Tech will simply declare bankruptcy and they'll never pay a dime.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Is this a real picture ? Cheesy
'Fraid so.

I love the irony of the ADT boxes on the outside to protect the business from the criminals on the street while the real criminals are free to commit their crimes on the inside.
Activity: 433
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Why would anyone trust a company that works out of this office?

- -

Is this a real picture ? Cheesy
Activity: 350
Yeah well that's clearly not going to happen. But it's useful to people to know they are entitled to a full refund regardless of what AT's bullshit "contract" says.

This reddit was interesting...maybe someone can ask this guy to go back and pay them another visit? I bet they don't speak to him this time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1uveun/alpha_technologys_scam_team_akram_akram_akram_and/

Did anyone manage to find the reddit with the email from Drexel Designs that was mentioned?

I know someone posted in here a while back complete instructions on how to file a claim with whatever regulatory body in the UK handles these sorts of things.  So anyone looking for a refund should scroll back and look for that. 
Activity: 655
Merit: 504
You wan chili saus?
Yeah well that's clearly not going to happen. But it's useful to people to know they are entitled to a full refund regardless of what AT's bullshit "contract" says.

This reddit was interesting...maybe someone can ask this guy to go back and pay them another visit? I bet they don't speak to him this time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1uveun/alpha_technologys_scam_team_akram_akram_akram_and/

Did anyone manage to find the reddit with the email from Drexel Designs that was mentioned?
Jump to: