Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 180. (Read 529056 times)

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
I'm just trying to not let this go over a cliff.

IAS it looks like it has already gone over the cliff.

The biggest tell is Fiaz's recent appearance here not to answer the large number of reasonable questions and concerns posted by many, but to dispute the Moss Side allegation.

Really … do these guys make you feel confident that they will deliver on their promises on schedule ?

I think confidence of the users reading here is what is totally destroyed.
We still have at least a month for things to work out.

TBH my confidence is much lower, and as I said a few pages back, I may not go through with things.
I don't deny or ignore the dodging of questions and that is mostly what got me alarmed, not what
People here said. Though again, great questions and points were brought up (and specifically by Retro
And Vesper). I just didn't want things to spiral worse and so just spoke up about the personal attacks.
That said, perhaps I would be not so centered if I had more at stake.

AT needs to show us something to bring back the confidence. And I have a great idea.
Maybe we can hold off on paying what we owe until they have a working model? If they are on schedule, and since they said they don't need the funds yet for production, all parties might then succeed.
They did mention something on their forum about late payments. I forget exactly.

Anyway, since confidence is low, a solution emniable to all parties might relieve the
Pressure here.

Is that a strategy that runs the risk of encouraging people to defer asking for refunds until after the refund cutoff date ?

I was thinking that most people placed their orders early on. Wasn't even considering refund cutoff dates.
But like I said, if AT wants this to work, then they might have to do what they can to make people stick around. All or nothing so to speak.
So, for those who fall under a refund cutoff date, AT would have to then extend it out accordingly.
Activity: 433
Merit: 250
This is from May 26th. I'd like to know when AT started the tape out. Taken from: https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=2859.msg175063#msg175063
I bolded a few key points.
I also posted this on the next page:

"We started tape-out just under a month ago, along with our tape-out we have paid extra for 'risk lots' which are early wafers in bulk, we will get a huge amount of chips as soon as tape-out finishes which means we will be shipping sooner rather later so not to worry."

As has been pointed out before. Alpha are paying extra for "risk lot" chips these are first run sample wafers which have not undergone the normal amount of testing, refinement and quality control. This means they will ship quicker but it throws reliability into question. The chips could be absolutely fine or they could be complete rubbish. Not only that, Alpha are also cutting testing time which was supposed to be a standard 20 days. This leaves long term reliability testing down to the end user.

After reading the Alpha update there were a few issues that spring to mind.

1) Where are they in the chip manufacturing process? This nebulous time scale of a few days doesn't help anyone. There are clear steps in the chip manufacturing process and you can accurately gauge chip delivery by how far along you are. Have they finished tapeout? Do they have the masks? Do they have the wafers? Have they finished fabout or bumpout? Are they in the packing house? An answer to any one of those questions will tell you when they will get their chips.

2)The case design. Removing the PSUs was their only option (apart from a larger case) but this and the case design means the units will no longer be rack mountable. This may not be an issue for some but for others it will be. In fact there is a thread on the Alpha forums where Fiaz is dodging this very issue. Also there still doesn't seem to be enough room for decent sized heatsinks in that design. Dissipating 1900 watts of heat will not be an easy task with just fans moving ambient air around. An Alpha supporter (Freejack) posted on this on their forum:

"As for cooling, these systems are going to have to be used with a room cooling/heat dissipation strategy the way any high density servers would. You can't get away with just fans...the ambient heat that you're circulating into the systems will cause them to get hotter and hotter".

I'm sure this is not acceptable to most of Alpha's customers.

3)Do they have their PCBs?  Its a little late in the day to still be designing your PCBs. If your chips are arriving any day that is. KNC had their Neptune PCBs a month ago. Cointerra started manufacturing their PCBs (and enclosures) while their wafers were in fabout. If the chips arrive next week what will they put them in? They have no cases, PCBs or powersupplys.

4)Power supplies. If they are buying off the shelf power supplies. Who are the manufacturers and what is the energy efficiency rating. This is pretty critical as cheap power supplies can and do burst into flames.  An inefficient power supply means more power draw at the wall as well as more heat. I wouldn't want anything less than an 80+ Gold from a reliable manufacturer if I was running it 24/7

I would suggest the customers here that still have access to their forums put these issues/questions directly to Alpha and see what the response is. Personally I would wait until after the payment processor is up and they publish a more comprehensive update before paying a penny more. Apparently you will have 2 weeks after the processor is on board to pay. If Alpha are on target they should be able to show a working test unit in that time. If not, you should walk away.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures

The biggest tell is Fiaz's recent appearance here not to answer the large number of reasonable questions and concerns posted by many, but to dispute the Moss Side allegation.

Really … do these guys make you feel confident that they will deliver on their promises on schedule ?

TBH my confidence is much lower, and as I said a few pages back, I may not go through with things.
I don't deny or ignore the dodging of questions and that is mostly what got me alarmed, not what
People here said. Though again, great questions and points were brought up (and specifically by Retro
And Vesper). I just didn't want things to spiral worse and so just spoke up about the personal attacks.

AT needs to show us something to bring back the confidence. And I have a great idea.
Maybe we can hold off on paying what we owe until they have a working model? If they are on schedule, and since they said they don't need the funds yet for production, all parties might then succeed.
They did mention something on their forum about late payments. I forget exactly.

Anyway, since confidence is low, a solution emniable to all parties might relieve the
Pressure here.

Is that a strategy that runs the risk of encouraging people to defer asking for refunds until after the refund cutoff date ?
legendary
Antifragile

Pressure here.
legendary
ex uno plures

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Q&A or QC?

QC. I was thinking 'quality assurance' when I wrote that. Thanks.
legendary
Antifragile
The chips are hopefully received sometime in early July. I think we are getting close to the delivery date as the mentioned they paid extra for a quicker delivery.

Well speaking of facts, they didn't pay extra for quicker shipping, they paid for extra chips and to bypass the Q&A testing. This way they get more chips, but they're of unknown quality. This cuts out fab time so it seems like there's a quicker delivery, but the specification will have variance from the design yield.

This means what one chip will do, another may not. Which is just another big red flag. If there's one thing you don't do, it's rush chips out the door skipping Q&A.

This is from May 26th. I'd like to know when AT started the tape out. Taken from: https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=2859.msg175063#msg175063
I bolded a few key points.

"Hi there,

I did say we would try and we definitely wanted to do this as it seemed like the obvious approach at the time however after thoroughly analyzing our options to ship as efficiently as possible with our VP of ASIC development Eric Gunn we decided it was not the best approach if we want to ship ASAP. We did try to hold it off as much as possible (despite cries on this forum for final payment) but taking it now will allow us to order crucial components earlier so we can start large scale all at once. We will not be shipping slowly as we intend to have all units our within a time frame of 2 weeks. Traditionally sample chips are sent after tape-out then 1-2 months after that is when you get your wafer orders sent to you. What we have done is order the majority of our chips all at once with the tape-out, we paid extra for these (20% more) for speed. And getting these  chips with tape-out will take a little bit longer than normal but we will get a huge bulk of chips to assemble into devices so in the long-run we are shipping quicker. So we cannot demonstrate the product yet, if we had the chips to demonstrate a product we would have shipped units by now, this is the fastest way to get the product to you."

ps - You don't have to try rubbing the "speaking of facts" thing in. I'm just trying to not let this go over a cliff. I think it is clear what many think of AT, but reading this thread has become a bunch of name calling, hateful posts, etc. and it makes a real discussion difficult. I'm not siding with anyone but I'd like to be able to discuss the situation as we get closer to a shipping date.
The chips are hopefully received sometime in early July. I think we are getting close to the delivery date as the mentioned they paid extra for a quicker delivery.

Well speaking of facts, they didn't pay extra for quicker shipping, they paid for extra chips and to bypass the Q&A testing. This way they get more chips, but they're of unknown quality. This cuts out fab time so it seems like there's a quicker delivery, but the specification will have variance from the design yield.

This means what one chip will do, another may not. Which is just another big red flag. If there's one thing you don't do, it's rush chips out the door skipping Q&A.
legendary
Antifragile
What we have learned from the last update is that there is no case manufactured, no chip boards, no PSUs, no heatsinks. PSU, included in the price, is now out of the case. As we know chips are not produced as well. So what's left?

Here is the first part of the recent update:
We are aware it has been some time since an update and do wish we could apprise more often. This is something that can only be done when it makes sense and we cannot do this on demand. At this moment there is a lot of tweaking and preparation while we wait for the chips as such there isn’t much to show yet. We will soon be releasing a much larger update with full specifications but we wanted to release something smaller now as we do appreciate it has been a few weeks.

In terms of the tweaks due to the increased hash rates: each board will now be 50Mh/s thus the 250Mh/s unit will have 5 boards and of course the 50Mh/s will have 1. 1.2Mh/s per chip was our original worst case figure but we now know each chip will be able to give 1.4Mh/s. A single one of our boards will have provision for 36 chips thus the boards will be slightly higher at a minimum of 50.4Mh/s possibly more we will know when we get the final chips and of course inform you. The worst case power per chip is envisaged to be around 9W and there is every chance we can significantly lower the final output which we very much want to do but more on that in the next update.  We will also be releasing a full guide on how to use the miners both with the WebGUI and without it before shipment (which will begin somewhere from the 15th-31st of July). We are currently producing the power distribution boards, the power from the SMPS will be distributed to every other board from this one.

In order to prevent the obstruction of airflow and to avoid cooling issues the PSU’s will be external; this also serves to reduce the needed size of its enclosure. The connectors will be kept outside so that customers can directly connect the power supplies externally. We will provide these power supplies for you, they will no longer be custom but bought off the shelf so they will be easily replaceable should the need ever arise. In addition they will already be fully certified so do not worry about there being any issues with customs as a result of this. The enclosure will soon be finished and aside from informing you of its final size in the next update we will be sure to release an image of it as well as displaying the external power supply so you will soon know exactly what the miner looks like. Some good news for 50Mh/s customers is that we have decided to use the same enclosures for both models; this will now allow 50Mh/s models to be upgraded up to 250Mh/s after shipment should they ever want to

Well, it is June 21st and the stated delivery date is between July 15-31 (app.) We have around a month and then some.
Let's hope the chips are working ok. These are ASIC's and not complicated CPU's or the like so I hope they got them right.
I think the difficult part will be tuning the ASIC's to get the expected hash rate. The last Group Buy I was involved in took a few days here I believe.

Is it not feasible to fabricate a basic case and have it ready within a couple to three weeks? And have the innards ready by mid July? Then assembly.
This is not my area of expertise. (Please someone jump in here that knows the process better.)
I know KNC set the bar with delivery (at least in the past), but it seems reasonable for Dexcel (with years of experience) to be able to have these things ready sometime in mid to late July
if they have the innards by then. I don't think the case is a big worry.

To be conservative I'd say we are looking at late July. But lets see how the end of this month goes.
As I said before I don't think the personal attacks helped but the pressure on the company is heavy and hopefully they are in high gear now. Lets just hope things outside their control
are on our side.

Its about sharing
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
What we have learned from the last update is that there is no case manufactured, no chip boards, no PSUs, no heatsinks. PSU, included in the price, is now out of the case. As we know chips are not produced as well. So what's left?
legendary
Antifragile
we have lost sight of sticking to the facts.

IAS, lets not blame the messengers.

You sound like the guy who told people not to shout fire in the theatre after the curtains started smoking.

I have been very clear that sharing the information is good. I'm simply saying not to change the "attack" to a personal one.
Don't now change this into me blaming messengers. Just go back a few pages and look at my comments to Alpha (which actually got a reply as I stated I might not now go through with
the purchase unless something changes majorly.)

But my "Don't make it personal" comments seem to actually have been taken personally, judging by the replies and continued personal attacks. (And they continue here).

Now you compare the potential deaths of people in a burning theatre with my not wanting personal attacks is doing exactly what you accused me of. Another logical fallacy to the list, take your pick at how many you just covered.

Emotion, is more concerned with being right than finding truth.  I just hope we have not cut off our nose to spite our face here.

legendary
ex uno plures
we have lost sight of sticking to the facts.

IAS, lets not blame the messengers.

You sound like the guy who told people not to shout fire in the theatre after the curtains started smoking.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
For those of you that got burnt by these guys despite all the warnings given by other forum members and photos of the said workshop, fear not, for I too am releasing my own 1000Mh/s miner in a couple of months, and am accepting pre-orders. Just send 2BTC to 1JFm3AuzB7HB56ZvycEd1KKiFRKEG8WeZt and I'll do you a special deal! I'll even throw in a set of free steak knives for the first 100 orders.

You seem trustworthy...

Ah yes, just the response I expected from this crowd lol

Please PM me your BSB & bank account number so I can make sure you don't miss out!  Grin
Activity: 207
Merit: 112
Can you promise delivery time before KNC? You must have some inside knowledge, right!
I heard LTC was going to be added to MTGOX Coinbase next month! Bobby Lee works there!

Grin
For those of you that got burnt by these guys despite all the warnings given by other forum members and photos of the said workshop, fear not, for I too am releasing my own 1000Mh/s miner in a couple of months, and am accepting pre-orders. Just send 2BTC to 1JFm3AuzB7HB56ZvycEd1KKiFRKEG8WeZt and I'll do you a special deal! I'll even throw in a set of free steak knives for the first 100 orders.

You seem trustworthy...

Shoot, Alpha didn't even offer steak knives. That's a deal.

At least he communicates with folks right?
Activity: 714

You seem trustworthy...
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
Activity: 433
Merit: 250
I clearly said your "research" posts have been of help, I explicitly have mentioned that in this thread. And I'm not calling you the bad guy. Do not cloud my point.
Does the name calling really help anyone out here? The argument has become personal, and we have lost sight of sticking to the facts. That is my point.

Point taken. I'll stick to the facts.  

The fact is Fiaz is spineless:
Deleting Posts
Banning people
Dodging important questions
Hiding in his forum

The fact is Fiaz is a buffoon:
Does not know the Distance selling regulations (even though he tried to use it to steal your money)
Does not know UK tax law (even though he tried to use it to steal your money)
Does not know an IP ban is useless
Guarantees a payment processor before July, even though it's "out of his hands"
Tells easily verifiable lies and thinks no one will check.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the point. But i'll just stick to the facts about Alpha in the future, to avoid making this personal.
Activity: 714
There are a lot of UK buyers, why hasn't someone gone over there recently (such as the past few days) to see what's going on? Someone on the ground and on site may be able to discover more than just going through forums.

Full disclosure - I do not have an alpha-t order (thankfully).

When alpha-t first announced, I asked my oldest son, who lives near Manchester and frequently travels internationally, if he would mind going round to their offices and give me the benefit of his impressions of the people and place.

He declined, describing it as 'A very dodgy part of Manchester'. He didn't feel comfortable there and I didn't push him.
That told me everything I needed to know ...

Alpha Technology (INT) Ltd
66 Dickenson Road

Moss Side Family Unit Address:69 Dickenson Road City:Manchester

Top 10: Dodgy British Neighbourhoods
Why is it dodgy? The name Moss Side is enough to send chills down even the toughest hooligan’s spine; a notorious inner-city area of Manchester cluttered with council blocks, it is known as a capital of murder and mayhem, and not the kind of place you go to live happily ever after. The neighbourhood is largely controlled by gang members – said to be up to 500 in total in Manchester – with drug dealing, turf wars and theft a way of life here. Avoid, at all costs.

Our address is Rusholme not Moss Side, a simple Google search would tell you this.

My apologies.  I guess Moss Side ends 3 units down from you.  Not sure if its any better in Rusholme though....

Great, now we are dealing with Logical Fallacies as the basis for arguments.
Let's see, which category does it fall under? The units are being made in India but the location of the organizational team is being put in question due to the neighborhood?
So basically, with this type of ideology we should not support lower socioeconomic areas?
BTW - The logical fallacies covered, include but are not limited to: Red Herring, Ad Hominem, Appeal to the Popular, Begging the Question, and on and on.

Let's keep this fact based. Again, instead of name calling let's keep this on track.

I'm just concerned that theft is a way of life there....

So, now it is guilt through association? Neighborhood no less?
How about the families nice standing in the community, business wise?
If you are going to judge an issue, look at all sides. Don't collect select data.

I'm not against the facts presented as I just stated in my last post here (and in other places in this thread), but when the energy of the thread is just falling apart and becoming personal, conjecture, fallacy based, purely negative, etc. then it is time for everyone to take a breath and step back. No good can come from a factual argument becoming emotional. It is the proverbial snowball headed down the mountain. Things may not look great, but judging by this thread one would think we are 3 months behind schedule.
Emotion, especially when it gets to the before mentioned level, seems to be more concerned with being right than finding truth and that is a dangerous place to be.
No harm can come from just sticking to what we know and trying to be a bit more factual and less personal. (like in the recent past actually).
I

You are right, let's just stick with the facts....

legendary
Antifragile
There are a lot of UK buyers, why hasn't someone gone over there recently (such as the past few days) to see what's going on? Someone on the ground and on site may be able to discover more than just going through forums.

Full disclosure - I do not have an alpha-t order (thankfully).

When alpha-t first announced, I asked my oldest son, who lives near Manchester and frequently travels internationally, if he would mind going round to their offices and give me the benefit of his impressions of the people and place.

He declined, describing it as 'A very dodgy part of Manchester'. He didn't feel comfortable there and I didn't push him.
That told me everything I needed to know ...

Alpha Technology (INT) Ltd
66 Dickenson Road

Moss Side Family Unit Address:69 Dickenson Road City:Manchester

Top 10: Dodgy British Neighbourhoods
Why is it dodgy? The name Moss Side is enough to send chills down even the toughest hooligan’s spine; a notorious inner-city area of Manchester cluttered with council blocks, it is known as a capital of murder and mayhem, and not the kind of place you go to live happily ever after. The neighbourhood is largely controlled by gang members – said to be up to 500 in total in Manchester – with drug dealing, turf wars and theft a way of life here. Avoid, at all costs.

Our address is Rusholme not Moss Side, a simple Google search would tell you this.

My apologies.  I guess Moss Side ends 3 units down from you.  Not sure if its any better in Rusholme though....

Great, now we are dealing with Logical Fallacies as the basis for arguments.
Let's see, which category does it fall under? The units are being made in India but the location of the organizational team is being put in question due to the neighborhood?
So basically, with this type of ideology we should not support lower socioeconomic areas?
BTW - The logical fallacies covered, include but are not limited to: Red Herring, Ad Hominem, Appeal to the Popular, Begging the Question, and on and on.

Let's keep this fact based. Again, instead of name calling let's keep this on track.

I'm just concerned that theft is a way of life there....

So, now it is guilt through association? Neighborhood no less?
How about the families nice standing in the community, business wise?
If you are going to judge an issue, look at all sides. Don't collect select data.

I'm not against the facts presented as I just stated in my last post here (and in other places in this thread), but when the energy of the thread is just falling apart and becoming personal, conjecture, fallacy based, purely negative, etc. then it is time for everyone to take a breath and step back. No good can come from a factual argument becoming emotional. It is the proverbial snowball headed down the mountain. Things may not look great, but judging by this thread one would think we are 3 months behind schedule.
Emotion, especially when it gets to the before mentioned level, seems to be more concerned with being right than finding truth and that is a dangerous place to be.
No harm can come from just sticking to what we know and trying to be a bit more factual and less personal. (like in the recent past actually).
Jump to: