Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 207. (Read 529054 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1001
Don't look at my signature!
Anyone who has requested a refund from Alpha-T....
Has anyone who has paid with Paypal, received an actual refund yet?
Thanks

I finally received my refund this morning.

Noting I placed my refund request originally on Wednesday 19th and after a round or two of are you sure type questions my request was formally processed by Alpha on Friday the 21st March, it was then on hold pending the 28th. I assume this was to coincide with reopening of batch 1 orders. Not sure why this was necessary other than a cash flow question (to be honest that's not my problem).

Anyway I received my refund today, 75% minus £70 admin fee.

Thanks and good luck to you all.
Thanks.
Was this via a Paypal refund?

Correct.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I'll wait patiently for a few more days.

think with another call from paypal you can get the other 25% back...terms of service for a merchant selling on paypal is that they ship within 45 days ..if not...they violated the TOS and you can get a full refund...call and ask ..i'm sure this is why alpha will no longer take paypal for their new customer orders

Does this assume that you make the claim within a set timeframe... 45 days ?
Well....my request was after the 45 days, and I was unable to use PayPal to process the dispute claim (because it was over 45 days since the transaction, PayPal automatically rejected it).
I made the claim to A.T who "processed" it 7 days ago, which showed up in my PayPal account as an eCheque i.e being funded by their bank account.
This has subsequently shown up today in my PayPal account as "Cancelled - the funds have been returned to the sender".
Bit odd...
Awaiting a reply from A.T
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
Thanks

Noting I placed my refund request originally on Wednesday 19th and after a round or two of are you sure type questions my request was formally processed by Alpha on Friday the 21st March, it was then on hold pending the 28th. I assume this was to coincide with reopening of batch 1 orders. Not sure why this was necessary other than a cash flow question (to be honest that's not my problem).

Thanks.

Correct.

think with another call from paypal you can get the other 25% back...terms of service for a merchant selling on paypal is that they ship within 45 days ..if not...they violated the TOS and you can get a full refund...call and ask ..i'm sure this is why alpha will no longer take paypal for their new customer orders

well if you did it by credit card I had 60 with amex

also you can appeal it to the fraud dept "paypal executive commitee"

if you don't have it in hand you'll likely get a refund

people got money out of BFL this way for their scam ..at least until BFL shut its account down and moved banks
to thwart the paypal demand and cc demands for refund

anyway all I have ..but can't hurt to ask a paypal rep ...just mention you want the fraud dept
of paypal..the regular paypal folks can't do this (or so i was told) the fraud dept DID call me
back ..but alas BFL and scammed the money away ...nothing they could do...could not even threaten them
in that bfl stopped taking paypal and credit cards (interesting coincidence huh?)

worth a shot

Searing
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
Thanks

Thanks.

Correct.

Thanks

Thanks.

Correct.

You've not mentioned whether you have had any acknowledgement from alpha on this subject. If you've not had a response then chase them. Again depending on how many days you've been waiting you should at least see a transaction in Paypal for the refund even if it's pending and not yet complete. If you don't have either then I would have concerns.

If you don't get the answers you are looking for, then worst case scenario (and assuming you are in the UK), I would suggest CCJ & the Sheriff route as low cost options to resolve the matter. No business wants a CCJ on their records !
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
Thanks

Thanks.

Correct.

legendary
Thanks

Thanks.

Correct.

Thanks

Thanks.

Correct.
legendary
Thanks

Thanks.
Thanks

legendary
Thanks
Activity: 433
Merit: 250
@It's about Sharing.

The which coin to mine debate probably needs its own thread.

My experience is I starting mining with a couple of GPUs then built a mid sized Farm (24x7950s) to mine BTC. As the diff got too high I moved to LTC.
Early last year I began looking at PPC I liked the concept of POS and thought the devs seemed dedicated so I switched a couple of my rigs to mine it at low diff.

The rise in PPC alone has paid off my rigs many times over (I sold @$8). I retired my farm and sold off my GPUs late last year. I'm now looking at Asics.

Concentrating on the bigger coins is less hassle but with a bit of research you can find great low diff coins that can make really nice returns. As the power consumption is considerably lower with an asic you can take a punt without much risk.

Regarding coin switching. Never tried it. I stick with the coin I've picked and mine it till I've reached a set goal. Making decisions based on the daily price is the epitome of a busy fool.

I've never mined DOGE. It seems like a joke coin to me and I just have a natural aversion to it.

Personally I tend to look for what innovations the coin is bringing and how dedicated the devs are. You can make money through crapcoin pump and dumps but I tend to play a more long term game.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
The reason KNC miner is selling scrypt is because there is nothinf more to invent in sha-256 world. From here on it's these units and multiple thereof.

This is a good point, it's probably going to be a while before you see a sub-20 nm BTC ASIC, right?
Activity: 223
Merit: 116
The reason KNC miner is selling scrypt is because there is nothinf more to invent in sha-256 world. From here on it's these units and multiple thereof.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
‘Try to be nice’
I am guessing KNC will deliver closer to 500 mhs in the Titan and will pull a surprise on delivery dates too.

Sure that might hurt Alpha Tech customers (me!) but really it comes down to when they can deliver.
The bigger question is, how will this impact GPU miners? I mean how much is going to be added to the network and then how much in GPU's subtracted?
Does the difficulty go down? Do the owners of the network, so to speak change hands or just technology or Huh

Even though Alpha (in their newsletter from last night) said "At this point we would like to guarantee a minimum of 650 Mh/s for our second batch, this figure is just a preliminary minimum and it is more likely than not to be higher." it will come down to when KNC delivers. If they deliver around when Alpha delivers and Alpha doesn't once again up their customers a bit, they will all be out.

Further, as we get closer to that roughly 2 month before delivery "pay the balance date" for Alpha Tech customers, if KNC says they are going to deliver in the beginning or mid July ALSO, do any of the Alpha customers go through with their order??? Alpha may want to up things again but not match, say the 16Mh/s miners to 25Mhs (and not 2.5X more as KNC has done). Hardware wise, it would just be upping the lower end Vipers to the higher end Vipers (original specs). So instead of KNC running things, Alpha Tech takes over this role.  Grin

Man, this is more interesting than the bitcoin mining ASIC "competition".

My advice generally (as I haven't changed it) is to look for an entry into Quark at this point , not only are the scrypt vectors there ( as I said they would be ) but I can also guarantee that ASIC capital will  move into Quark.

Also there is some other news on the horizon,  which of less specific importance to this mining subject.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
if I had money i would be buying their orders

What i know is that come July we will be mining their KNCs to non-profitability land after we've had ROI in 3 weeks
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
I thought geistgeld was dead? long time ago

No way. It is merged mined, so there is no reason to stop mining it.

All the merged mined coins did however have a RAM usage problem which was far more apparent in coins with faster blocks, so both I0Coin and GeistGeld were dropped by some pools that felt their RAM usage to be exorbitant.

I0Coin however found and fixed that problem, and its fix has already now been propagated to GeistGeld, IXCoin, DeVCoin and possibly other merged mined coins. The slower their blocks the less urgency there is in getting around to adopting the fix.

Being the faster block speeds among merged mined coins actually made I0Coin and GeistGeld very important to the merged mined coin family, because by their faster blocks they drew attention sooner to the RAM problem that all merged mined coins would eventually have been forced to notice.

The people who blindly threw away I0Coin and GeistGeld with vague claims that they must have memory leaks did a dis-service to the whole merged mined coin family, project, and research/experiment/development/testing by ignoring the problem instead of delving deeper and deeper to find out what it actually was; their deliberate ignorance would have led to the problem remaining in place until the slower block coins started to notice it. As it is, the slower ones can be fixed long before the problem causes them to use "inordinate amounts" of RAM themselves.

-MarkM-
Activity: 453
Merit: 261
Look Morty magic internet money
I thought geistgeld was dead? long time ago
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Just start merging coins alongside bitcoin and litecoin. That way you get more bang from your existing hashing gear and don't have to abandon litecoin nor bitcoin to mine more things.

Particularly good right now for small miners are CoiLedCoin and GeistGeld, as even block eruptors can merged mine them alongside bitcoin very nicely (using, for example, p2pool).

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
I just want to add.

Those of you buying the 16mh/s machines are not in the same race as those buying the 100mh/s + devices.

IMHO your strategy should be to mine low diff altcoins and stay away from the higher market cap coins such as LTC, DGC, DOGE etc. You will be pulverized.

With that in mind you should be in no rush to take high risks on unproven, potential vaporware. A couple of months here or there will not dramatically affect your ROI.

Therefore, if I were in your position I would wait, see who delivers then buy a batch 2 device. You could then mine low diff coin, on a low power consuming machine, with little to no risk.

In hindsight I think I actually appreciate your posts. Nothing wrong with bringing balance and there are many reasons, as you have stated, in this space to do so.

Regarding your point above, I wonder how to best go about this. For arguments sake, lets say Alpha Technology delivers before KNC Miner. (And I have one, or whomever has one)
Will I have a substantial advantage over a miner with 20 video cards whose hash rate is about 16Mh/s? I think I probably would, due to energy costs. So, mining LTC might still be the best return.

But, to your point, a couple of sub points:
How would one go about selecting other coins to mine? Jumping around? (I don't think pool hopping works very well, unless the pool does it automatically. Morally, I wouldn't want to do that anyway.)
With a lot of these rigs out there, couldn't some smaller coins just be destroyed by a large hashing power hitting them and then pulling out?

Anyway, where I stand now is that BTC to me is the #1, LTC the #2 and DOGE I still won't touch as I think the number of shares make it more like government fiat potentially. What I am looking
for is that number 3. I think a coin like Quark or Vert can be that. Something VERY ASIC resistant. There will be a lot of GPU's looking for coins in the next few months...
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
I can't play the mining game anymore. This is my last venture. Would be nice if KNC Miner made a $1000 miner, but why when they sell the 10k miners? Decentralization imo.

I really see VERT and/or Quark like coins starting to move as all those GPU's will find new homes. Also, Doge will be affected by this. I still don't like it since it is so inflated relatively speaking.

Why dont you check out Fibonacci, they are selling by the unit at 8.65 MH/s, purchase as many or as few as you want ... better act fast though, last time I checked they were 80% sold

It's a monster thread to read through however:
https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=2702.0

If KnC delivers as advertised, their units will be about 20 times more hash per dollar spent, and leaving a brief window of opportunity to make your money back before the scrypt difficulty starts going crazy.
Jump to: