Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 252. (Read 529054 times)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Unfortunately they need money for research and components. If they had that money, they'd just build the machines and mine themselves. So to fund the research and components, they solicit pre-orders. Yes, it sucks. But I don't see a way around it... ?

I do, it's called getting investors. bank loans, crowdsourcing, etc. Draw up a business plan and present it. With the history cryptocurrency device manufacturers have had (BFL, BitFury, KNC, etc) you should be able to easily show that there is a demand. If all else fails, go to Kickstarter.

You must mean crowdfunding not crowdsourcing.  Taking pre-orders is basically crowdfunding, and we are the target crowd.  Kickstarter is usually for charity, it's for donating, I don't know why people would donate to a for-profit business.  But still, it would be nice to not have to gamble on a pre-order.

My bad, yes, I meant crowdfunding.. Kickstarter isn't only for donating. I backed a project called Revolights on Kickstarter. They were some really neat LED rims for bicycle wheels that replaced front and rear nighttime lights. Anyway, I paid like 80% of the estimated market price.. waited 6 months for R&D, prototyping & production. I got one of the first production units at a discount and a t-shirt in exchange. BTW, Kickstarter also has policies in effect for accountability of projects: http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/accountability-on-kickstarter As far as your comment that "taking pre-orders is basically crowdfunding", you are correct, however Kickstarter provides a framework, pushes things along and provides legal avenues if things go wrong. Where simply participating in a pre-order, you are essentially throwing your money at them and hoping for the best, with no recourse if they don't deliver. Personally, I don't mind the concept of "pre-orders", but I want some level of assurance that the product will be delivered within a sane timeframe unlike other "pre-orders" that have taken place within the community. (yes, I'm looking at you BFL...)
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
Unfortunately they need money for research and components. If they had that money, they'd just build the machines and mine themselves. So to fund the research and components, they solicit pre-orders. Yes, it sucks. But I don't see a way around it... ?

I do, it's called getting investors. bank loans, crowdsourcing, etc. Draw up a business plan and present it. With the history cryptocurrency device manufacturers have had (BFL, BitFury, KNC, etc) you should be able to easily show that there is a demand. If all else fails, go to Kickstarter.

You must mean crowdfunding not crowdsourcing.  Taking pre-orders is basically crowdfunding, and we are the target crowd.  Kickstarter is usually for charity, it's for donating, I don't know why people would donate to a for-profit business.  But still, it would be nice to not have to gamble on a pre-order.

Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
TECHNOLOGY, BABY!
Activity: 644
P2P The Planet!
Alpha-t,

Please do us all a massive favor and:

1- Produce a batch of devices

THEN

2- Sell them.

This

+infinity
Activity: 9
Alpha-t,

THEN

2- Sell them.

This
Alpha-t,

THEN

2- Sell them.

Please, none of this pre-order garbage which has hurt the cryptocoin community so much in the past.
I'ts cool if you produce a working prototype and say you are "in production", but don't throw around pricing numbers or $/Mh figures until you have inventory on hand and are ready to ship. Things can change at the last minute which can have all kinds of un-intended consequences  (i.e. power consumption, price)

I will happily be the first person in line literally throwing money at you if you have a product that will ship immediately within a reasonable price point. Many others on this board will too.
Just say no to pre-orders!

- Thanks
Activity: 756
'The Hindu'...when you're in a real paper or magazine let us know...   Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Still not impressed.
pz8
Activity: 18
Reserve x5 if this device exist Smiley
Activity: 160
Merit: 100
Alpha-T,

You say in the last update that the price per kilohash will be around that of the 7950. Could you give me the number you are thinking of?

It says the price per kilohash will be lower than 7950, not around.

Considering, unlike a videocard that can be always sold for a small discount, a specialized device like scrypt-miner is pretty useless for any other purpose, plus the general risk and instability of altcoins, I would imagine a "fair" price would be such that device ROIs in about 30 to 90 days.

Ok, lets re-math a little.

So lets say we can get 150LTC a month with the 5000khash machine (no difficulty increase). After 90 days (3 months) we'd have ~450LTC, at $2 per LTC, a better estimate might be

5000kHash  ~ $900
10000khash ~ $1800

?
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
Alpha-T,

You say in the last update that the price per kilohash will be around that of the 7950. Could you give me the number you are thinking of?

It says the price per kilohash will be lower than 7950, not around.

Considering, unlike a videocard that can be always sold for a small discount, a specialized device like scrypt-miner is pretty useless for any other purpose, plus the general risk and instability of altcoins, I would imagine a "fair" price would be such that device ROIs in about 30 to 90 days.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Reserve for doxing.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359
How about no.
*Scrypt-BFL has appeared*  Roll Eyes

I believe that was BFL-Scrypt Tongue
BFL-Josh used SCAM, it's super effective!
Scrypt Cooperative Amplificated Mining
SCrypt Advanced Multi-threading
Strong & Creative Advanced Miner
Activity: 160
Alpha-T,

My maths:
A HD 7950 gets about 650khash and cost about $250 USD. So 250/650 = 0.384$/khash?

5000kHash  ~ $1900
10000khash ~ $3800

Using dustcoin.com's calculator it says at 5000khash and 200watts you'd make about $300 a month. At $1900 that would take 6 months to pay off. This doesn't take into account the rise in from the new hardware, but also not a rise in price/ltc.

Another calculator tells me at 5000khash (doesn't take into account power specs) I'd make about 143 LTC a month, at $2 per ltc thats about the same story as above.

I'll still buy one and hope the price goes up!

Activity: 437
Merit: 260
balance
Need more details to make an informed opinion. I wish you luck.
Activity: 196
I love Bitcoin
interesting...any more hardward info to be provide?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
‘Try to be nice’
Reserved for voltage issues.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1003
I'm genuinely curious...wtf is the point of reserving a post in a thread?  
at a later time when everything pans out then post something really genious there, so you look like a genius before anything happens Grin
Jump to: