Author

Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now! - page 245. (Read 529054 times)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0
Well, i did ask for a PoC video, and there it is!

I can't say I'm impressed though.  Yes, you'll get savings on power, but really looks like you'll get equivalent performance to a GPU setup, which as said above has some resale value if the altcoin market dies, and you'll be sinking a considerable amount into this rig.  I don't think the power savings would really add up to much; my (extremely modest) 750kH/sec rig uses 350W, so that's costing about £1 a day to run, with a capital outlay of maybe £450.  The extra £1000 cost of the alpha rig would run it for three years, one of which I reckon i'll get before they actually ship anything.

I'm not convinced that they will get a suitable chip built (with enough RAM) to allow it to hash fast enough at the right price, though.  The PoC video is obviously on an FPGA which doesn't really tell us much as it's chalk and cheese - it's like saying "hey, this computer can do A, so a different computer can also do A".  What I read in the PDFs didn't really convince me, as it looked to me like anyone could produce such a design given a bit of thought.  It's the excecution that is important, and I guess it is possible that a manufacturer could make an all-in-one with enough power and memory, but it seems unlikely at such a small scale.

Plus, the "ooh, we've got an FPGA dev kit"-ness of it smells fishy to me, but that's just me being a bit of a snob!

On the shipping front, sounds like a disaster.  I bought an OUYA, and that was a real PITA (damaged, slow, extra fees to pay, took ages to get sorted) and not even expensive.  Doing something similar with a £1500 item would be a nervy nightmare.
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
Does anyone with a good background in FPGA/chip design support Alpha's claims or think they are feasible? My spidey senses are tingling.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Scrypt ASIC Chip POC Prototype Video

You can view update on our website: https://alpha-t.net/news/scrypt-asic-poc-prototype-video/

The following video is an ASIC Chip prototype demonstration done on FPGA based ASIC prototyping board. The demonstration is by one of our engineers from our engineering partners in India, Dexcel Designs. The video demonstrates our ASIC design and core speeds working live. The ASIC design document this demonstration relates to can be found here:
https://alpha-t.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Scrypt_ASIC_Prototyping_Design_Document.pdf.

You may note that we had bettered hashing speed per core as compared to last time we published our results in our Prototyping Design Document.

As stated in the following video, our ASIC design POC has not been optimised for any specific FPGA, instead optimised for multi-core scalability with ASIC in mind. That's why it's important we show our core speed and number of cores we are targeting as per the final ASIC chip. Based on this design and global foundries process node, die sizes and the associated costs have been arrived at and we will be going ahead with the fabrication, post final back end verification.

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69P2RHG2pIA

Our next update will be the official launch in which we will start taking orders for batch 1 along with instructions.

A note to all forum viewers, we will be further populating our FAQ section to answer all your questions. If you feel some of your questions are still unanswered please email us on [email protected], and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

So what are you showing in this video?

43 Khs Huh

my skydrive mining faster than that Grin

Seriously what the point of this video? to scare away costumers?

Did you read what you quoted? The answer is right there.

My problem are two things:
1 - These Scrypt ASIC miners are what, 2X better than current rigs and in 6 months time when they are shipped you could make that money back by buying a rig now. The nice thing is the lower energy. Nice rig to just support the network, from an energy perspective. Oh, and the difficulty is rising, in 6 months, oh boy...
2 - Shipping from India. They are essentially creating a can of worms with Customs. Instead of them taking a few large boxes, there will now be hundreds or thousands of boxes through the mail system, to many countries, etc. Would be much easier for the customer, more efficient, to ship from the UK, not India. Lots of problems can develop from here. Also customs fees, oh boy.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Scrypt ASIC Chip POC Prototype Video

You can view update on our website: https://alpha-t.net/news/scrypt-asic-poc-prototype-video/

The following video is an ASIC Chip prototype demonstration done on FPGA based ASIC prototyping board. The demonstration is by one of our engineers from our engineering partners in India, Dexcel Designs. The video demonstrates our ASIC design and core speeds working live. The ASIC design document this demonstration relates to can be found here:
https://alpha-t.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Scrypt_ASIC_Prototyping_Design_Document.pdf.

You may note that we had bettered hashing speed per core as compared to last time we published our results in our Prototyping Design Document.

As stated in the following video, our ASIC design POC has not been optimised for any specific FPGA, instead optimised for multi-core scalability with ASIC in mind. That's why it's important we show our core speed and number of cores we are targeting as per the final ASIC chip. Based on this design and global foundries process node, die sizes and the associated costs have been arrived at and we will be going ahead with the fabrication, post final back end verification.

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69P2RHG2pIA

Our next update will be the official launch in which we will start taking orders for batch 1 along with instructions.

A note to all forum viewers, we will be further populating our FAQ section to answer all your questions. If you feel some of your questions are still unanswered please email us on [email protected], and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

So what are you showing in this video?

43 Khs Huh

my skydrive mining faster than that Grin

Seriously what the point of this video? to scare away costumers?
Activity: 294
No worry. Because of large amount of GPU miner, there will soon be a powerful alt coin to resist such kind of ASIC for one or two years
Activity: 224
This is bad news. I hope this is a scam or something. Don't want my rig to go obsolete like with BTC.
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
Interesting how many of the next generation gpu's would you need to match the 25mh/s rate of the viper ... What's the power consumption for such a rig ?
Activity: 252
it cost like top gpu's rig at the moments BUT will be available only in half year.
in this half year hd8000 series will release and for same money you will be able to buy more khs and gpu can be sold unlike this.
I would tend to agree with you. As I see it I'd be taking the majority of the risk, there is nothing to say I don't receive a box of nails from offshore, yet how would I prove that if alpha-t haven't validated the contents!

I'd much prefer to see all items shipped to alpha-t , and checked and validated by them prior to dispatch.
Activity: 607
Merit: 500
epic fail their decition to sent devices to customers directly from India!
i had already many problems with customs and avalon, no thank you!
What we'd like to pay is totally irrelevant. I'd love a Mercedes ml350 for £1, but it costs 20k to make them, chances of a cheap deal ?

At the end of the day this would appear to be first to market, therefore these guys need to cover full development life cycle costs. Whilst being expensive and assuming this is legit, they'd be lucky to clear 20% margin, they're edging their bets on volume....
Activity: 266
I think Alpha-T products are too expensive right now... but it's my opinion.

Alpha-T you could make a forum poll to ask users about price ranges... Wink

As far as I know they have the wrong statement for UK VAT, as the goods are being fulfilled from outside the UK the only VAT should be as part of the import duty.

Note import duty on desktop style computers is zero plus VAT (20%) in the UK. 

So for the cost of import calculation in the UK it should be... value of hardware, plus value of shipping fee, plus 20%(VAT).

that's rediculous for the UK and europe

You are paying 20% VAT + Import duties + Import tax, holy shit, alpha-T might not be applying the tax on their end but you will be paying around uh £8000 to get the 25 mh/s version all in all and £2000+ for the 5 mh/s version. Ouch.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
that's rediculous for the UK and europe

You are paying 20% VAT + Import duties + Import tax, holy shit, alpha-T might not be applying the tax on their end but you will be paying around uh £8000 to get the 25 mh/s version all in all and £2000+ for the 5 mh/s version. Ouch.
that's one big rig you must have had, I take it wasn't  profitable. supposed this new viper will run at 600w for 25mh/s output, so shouldn't break the bank.

Not heard about the 2mh/s gpu cards, I doubt that setup would be much cheaper though given current prices of cards.
Activity: 182
Thats the 24 million dollar question.....

If you've got 10k spare then do it, if you need 10k to pay your bills then don't !

I built a rig and had to turn it off because I couldn't afford to pay my own electric bill, so $10k is out of the question. I read tht amd is coming out with new GPU's tht are going to be able to pull 2MH/s on one GPU, I cant find the thread now though but is this true?
Thats the 24 million dollar question.....

If you've got 10k spare then do it, if you need 10k to pay your bills then don't !

Based on current conversion you are looking at $8986 plus carriage and possible import duties, whatever those may be in the USA....

Will it still be profitable once you get one up and running or will it turn out just like sha-256

Based on current conversion you are looking at $8986 plus carriage and possible import duties, whatever those may be in the USA....

[/quote]
about how much U.S. dollars do you think this will run?
[/quote]
The last nail to the coffin. 25MH/s price is now about 8k€ for EU customers! I was going to order one but this VAT / import shit bounced the price too much.
about how much U.S. dollars do you think this will run? and are they shipping to u.s.
Jump to: