Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] 0pticoin (0TC) - Release Date: May 15, 2013 - Postponed ~1 month [ANN] - page 11. (Read 18824 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Crypti Community Manager
I will try to set up a p2pool. Smiley I hope it isn't such a PITA like CHNcoin..
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
I think you should wait a "ready to mine pool" to realease the coin. I guarantee it could be succesfull.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
too much suspense, i hope you fail.

This is how a client is SUPPOSED to be announced, so anyone who is interested has a fair chance at downloading the client the same as everyone else. it's not done for the purpose of "suspense".

now we are doing pre-announcement, it's good. Give small fishes the executables first, before the big fishes jump in. lol

Well, actually everyone will be receiving availability to the files at the same time, but I think I get what you are saying   Smiley

Difficulty retarget of 30 minutes will cause a lot of the same problems that terracoin had. I wouldn't recommend it.

What do you think would be a better retarget time...? I thought faster re-targets would be most desirable to keep the difficulty appropriate in cases of wild upswings/downswings in network hashing power...?

Is it not possibe to increase the retarget interval as time passes.

As a new coin there will be huge jumps in hashrate so it needs to change quickly, as the days go by and it becomes more stable the time increases.

So it starts at 30 minutes, after a day 60 mins, a week 200 etc etc...

Also starting the name with an '0' or 'O' makes it look confusing. 100 0TC IMHO

I'm not sure if it is possible to change the retarget interval without forcing a new fork of the blockchain, I will look more closely at the code and spend some time reading about retarget intervals and their advantages/disadvantages on current clients and decide what to do from there...

I chose the '0' to not only give the name/address scheme a little of it's own originality but also as a symbol of the coin's status as pre-cursor (basically an alpha release) to APCXS.

I'm not opposed to suggestions on a new name/address scheme...

Grin Goodluck!

Thanks!!!

Increased rewards for the first week:
  • Day 1: 100 0TC per block
  • Day 2: 50 0TC per block
  • Days 3 & 4: 25 0TC per block
  • Days 4 - 7: 10 0TC per block

Remove those, make the starting difficulty 10+ (in Litecoin terms) and it will be a killer altcoin, guaranteed. Else you'll be adding yet another scamcoin to already huge pile.

I will consider this as well. I currently have the difficulty set at:

Code:
static CBigNum bnProofOfWorkLimit(~uint256(0) >> 30);

0pticoin is an experimental Litecoin branch and it is intended to be a "sandbox" environment to test building my first alt-coin and is a pre-cursor to my final intended product - the "Advanced Parallel Crypto eXchange System" (APCXS).

As this is my first build of a new coin there aren't any ground-breaking code changes and borrows most of it's existing code from Litecoin, SmallChange and JunkCoin, but new features will be added as I develop them to test viability and optimize final settings for release of APCXS.

Along the way, changes in the code may force me to create new forks of 0pticoin at which time I will release them as their own coins with their own changes and optimized settings until I have reached my final intended product which will then be released as APCXS.

The features for version 1 of 0pticoin are:
  • ZERO pre-mine (Genesis block mined on testnet)
  • rpcport = 9707
  • listen = 9708
  • testnet = 19708
  • Maximum coins: 75,000,000
  • Block target: 90 seconds
  • difficulty re-target: once every ~30 minutes

• Rewards are cut in half every 700,800 blocks.
  • Every block has a 1% chance to generate x2 block reward and a 0.01% chance to generate x5 block reward.

Release Date: May 8, 2013 @ 6pm (server time)

Source: TBA
Linux: TBA
Windows Binary: TBA

IMHO if it's a sandbox to test, which is a good thing, maybe you want to just have some people PM you and help you test it out.  What might happen is that some people will mine this without reading anything and then will complain after the fact that this is a test coin, regardless if you say it's a test coin.  I might be wrong about this, but there are people who hate all alt coins and doing a test might draw the ire of some of the haters.  Of course, they might hate regardless of what you do.

I'm sure you could find plenty of people to help you test in a beta type environment.  Once you get everything you need tested, release the real coin.

Just my opinion, obviously you can do whatever you want.  Good luck!

Even though it is a test coin I want to be able to test it under real mining/usage conditions so that when APCXS releases I can know what to expect on a full-scale.

The coin is labeled as a test coin, but I fully intend for people to use it and mine it. I want to know what it's flaws and draw-backs are in a real-world application.

Bitcoin was released as a beta application and over time grew into something worth mining. 0pticoin while being a beta application on it's way to becoming APCXS may have it's own real-world potential in some real-world applications, I will never know until it is tested.

But my main reason for doing a full release of a "sandbox" coin is to see how it responds when used in real-world applications on a full-scale.

What server?

Bitcointalk's server

c4n10 can you give a time with the help of http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/ ?

May 8, 2013 @ 6pm GMT

What is the starting difficulty?

Code:
static CBigNum bnProofOfWorkLimit(~uint256(0) >> 30);
Activity: 182
What is the starting difficulty?
Crypti Community Manager
Activity: 7
Merit: 502
0pticoin is an experimental Litecoin branch and it is intended to be a "sandbox" environment to test building my first alt-coin and is a pre-cursor to my final intended product - the "Advanced Parallel Crypto eXchange System" (APCXS).

As this is my first build of a new coin there aren't any ground-breaking code changes and borrows most of it's existing code from Litecoin, SmallChange and JunkCoin, but new features will be added as I develop them to test viability and optimize final settings for release of APCXS.

Along the way, changes in the code may force me to create new forks of 0pticoin at which time I will release them as their own coins with their own changes and optimized settings until I have reached my final intended product which will then be released as APCXS.

• rpcport = 9707
  • listen = 9708
  • testnet = 19708

• Every block has a 1% chance to generate x2 block reward and a 0.01% chance to generate x5 block reward.

Windows Binary: TBA

IMHO if it's a sandbox to test, which is a good thing, maybe you want to just have some people PM you and help you test it out.  What might happen is that some people will mine this without reading anything and then will complain after the fact that this is a test coin, regardless if you say it's a test coin.  I might be wrong about this, but there are people who hate all alt coins and doing a test might draw the ire of some of the haters.  Of course, they might hate regardless of what you do.

I'm sure you could find plenty of people to help you test in a beta type environment.  Once you get everything you need tested, release the real coin.

Just my opinion, obviously you can do whatever you want.  Good luck!
Activity: 168

What server?

The forum server I would guess
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
Selling all the FTCs to buy a hard disk to store all the clients.
Activity: 369
Activity: 686
Crypti Community Manager
legendary
Activity: 1098
Difficulty retarget of 30 minutes will cause a lot of the same problems that terracoin had. I wouldn't recommend it.

Is it not possibe to increase the retarget interval as time passes.

As a new coin there will be huge jumps in hashrate so it needs to change quickly, as the days go by and it becomes more stable the time increases.

So it starts at 30 minutes, after a day 60 mins, a week 200 etc etc...

Also starting the name with an '0' or 'O' makes it look confusing. 100 0TC IMHO
legendary
Activity: 980
Activity: 766
Merit: 621
Own ONION
now we are doing pre-announcement, it's good. Give small fishes the executables first, before the big fishes jump in. lol
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
too much suspense, i hope you fail.
Activity: 294
****UPDATE: Release has been postponed for ~1 month (see below)****

• rpcport = 9707
    • listen = 9708
    • testnet = 19708

• No rewards for the first 1,000 blocks (This is to allow users time to review the code, download the client and get it installed/configured as well as to allow the network time to adjust to the initial network hashrate)

• Initial difficulty will be ~0.25
    • Proof of Stake implementation
    • [Allow mining at decreased difficulty if time since last block is greater than "x" minutes

Release Date: May 8, 2013 @ 6pm GMT (server time)

Windows Binary: TBA[/list]

UPDATE:
    Alright, this project is going to require a bit more time. The scope of this project has become bigger than I originally expected.

I am working now with a small team of IRL friends and based on the past week's progress, we expect to be ready within the next month but I do not want to set a deadline for fear of missing it again, I do not want to ruin this project entirely by continuously giving false deadlines.

If any experienced C++ programmers want to join our team we would happy to welcome you on board (no cut/paste programmers please).

We thank you for your patience and we apologize for the inconvenience (again).
    Pages:
    Jump to: