Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] CureCoin 2.0 is live - Mandatory Update is available now - DEC 2018 - page 22. (Read 696254 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
How long does it take to start staking curecoin? 24 hours?

And I notice that the encrypted wallet from Windows cannot be shared with Linux wallet, problem is: the passphrase is incorrect. Un-encrypted wallet works fine to share in both Windows and Linux.
Activity: 1092
Merit: 552
Retired IRCX God
Code:
Current Reward:13 Block Diff:783,665,435.3439578 
Shexy  Cool
Retired IRCX God
...The stuff the SHA256 folks do for CURE to secure the block chain is mining....Staking is more like earning interest, it's not really MINING....
A PoS block does require the stakeholder to do the work of building a valid SHA256 block. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, every PoS block is just a ultra-low difficulty block. The only real difference between PoW and PoS (aside from difficulty and amount of reward) is that, in the "main" (coinbase) transaction, PoW merely adds new coins and PoS includes staked coins into the transaction to "alter" the "age" of the coins.
Retired IRCX God
...POF is a fictitious term. I advise not misleading people with fictitious terms and stick to the correct terminology.
While I do see that any terminology in order to label folding payments would require a softfork (most likely for the addition of a new opcode), I'm also able to see that the term "masternode" was "fictitious" until it wasn't. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Staking is not mining...
From a deeply technical aspect, it kinda is.

..."PoW mined" IMO would be better as "PoW earned" or "PoW earnings" or even "PoW compensation" since it's NOT mining....
If, in your mind, PoW isn't mining and PoS isn't mining, then what is?  Huh

...I'd also prefer to see "PoF" (Proof of Folded) instead of "PoW" but I don't really feel strongly about that as Folding IS a form of work done....
I like that distinction, because most people are already confused about the difference between folding and mining. Perhaps even "PoFW" (Proof of Folded Work)?

The stuff the SHA256 folks do for CURE to secure the block chain is mining.
 The folding most of us do to earn CURE rewards is NOT mining.
 Both however can be considered to be a form of Proof of Work, for a wide enough definition of the term.

Staking is more like earning interest, it's not really MINING.

PoFW ... works - and would differentiate between the folks that ARE mining and folks like me that are FOLDING, which might reduce some of the confusion between the two.

To CryptoCanary - the current "official terminology" does NOT make sense for CureCoin as structured and is CONFUSING AND MISLEADING.
 IMO it is NOT "correct terminology" at all.

legendary
Activity: 1076
Merit: 1006
Canary in the crypto mine!

EDIT: TY Kyle, for the better screenshot!

EDIT 2:

legendary
Staking is not mining.

"POS earned" or "POS earnings" would be a MUCH better option.

"PoW mined" IMO would be better as "PoW earned" or "PoW earnings" or even "PoW compensation" since it's NOT mining.

I'd also prefer to see "PoF" (Proof of Folded) instead of "PoW" but I don't really feel strongly about that as Folding IS a form of work done.

Staking is processing the blockchain for which you are rewarded newly created coins, hence, "mining". Yes. As are PoW blocks, certainly.

Your folding rewards are sent as transactions on the CUR network. Folding happens outside of the CUR blockchain. The only relation folding has to the CUR blockchain is transactions happen on the CUR blockchain because people are being compensated with CUR.

POF is a fictitious term. I advise not misleading people with fictitious terms and stick to the correct terminology.
Retired IRCX God
Staking is not mining...
From a deeply technical aspect, it kinda is.

..."PoW mined" IMO would be better as "PoW earned" or "PoW earnings" or even "PoW compensation" since it's NOT mining....
If, in your mind, PoW isn't mining and PoS isn't mining, then what is?  Huh

...I'd also prefer to see "PoF" (Proof of Folded) instead of "PoW" but I don't really feel strongly about that as Folding IS a form of work done....
I like that distinction, because most people are already confused about the difference between folding and mining. Perhaps even "PoFW" (Proof of Folded Work)?
legendary
Staking is not mining.

"POS earned" or "POS earnings" would be a MUCH better option.

"PoW mined" IMO would be better as "PoW earned" or "PoW earnings" or even "PoW compensation" since it's NOT mining.

I'd also prefer to see "PoF" (Proof of Folded) instead of "PoW" but I don't really feel strongly about that as Folding IS a form of work done.

Retired IRCX God
Being the purist that I am, I'd have to say that B is more accurate and therefore better.
legendary

I am unaware of the community's sentiment or stance on some wording. From discussions in CUR google hangouts and CUR slack today, it seems people prefer option 'B'. Be reminded, it currently would display "POFMined". While Josh did explain to me the coming and humor of the current wording, I think it's wise to use accurate terminology one could research. After all, one could very well be staking CUR purchased and not staking folding rewards. Sorry if it seems like I am splitting hairs. I am only trying to be attentive to details and get the communities input.

This would imply also changing the "Info: Minting suspended ..." to "Info: Staking suspended ..." in the status bar and changes to tooltips, "mint" to "stake" where appropriate.

Thank you in advance for your input!

p.s. "POWMined" has been changed to "POW mined".
legendary
I don't use the Curecoin wallet in Windows.
For that matter, I don't use the Curecoin wallet at all.

I also don't use Unity/Trinity/whatever the Ubuntu "default" windows manager is called (the one they announced a while ago that they were moving AWAY from), as I found that XFCE is a much more useable window manager with a TON less overhead and performance issues.

I just find it totally WIERD that a program would use what appeared to be a "SYSTEM" menu to access a PROGRAM setting - in ANY OS.

Apparently it's just wierd positioning in the pop-up menu that pops the menu up RIGHT UNDER the "system" settings menu.
I've seen stuff pop up outside of the original menu before (FAH does something similar on it's config menu, but that window is usually bigger than the original so hard to avoid) just not in such a confusing spot.

I also find the default UBuntu insistance on putting the menu bar at the TOP of the screen irritating - I never leave it there on my own machines - and have never understood why they do that.
 I do concede that is probably a personal preference / what I'm used to from EVERY OTHER OS and LINUX distro I've used sort of thing.

legendary
... It will be addressed in a future release.

I have the 'unlock' and 'lock' option now under the 'settings' menu. I will make a pull request later this morning after thorough testing.

That makes it look like the "settings" menu isn't part of the wallet - which makes ZERO SENSE to do.

VERY anti-user-friendly, especially for those of us that LOATH that "Trinity" desktop and refuse to put up with it (hint, even UBUNTU is giving up on it and moving to something else, or already HAS moved to something else as of 17.04).

This is an Ubuntu virtual machine. That is where the file menu is. It does not move the file menu on Windows or whatever OS you may or may not be familiar with.

I hope seeing it in Windows puts you and your sense at ease, QuintLeo. Different operating systems act differently. If you look you will see user-friendliness was the objective. (hint: with respect, your assumptions were wrong.)

Quote from: ComputerGenie
* ComputerGenie pets his Debian box and is glad that he doesn't have such issues.  Cool

I never meant to imply an Ubuntu endorsement or something. Wink  I just wanted to demonstrate the code was fixed promptly. Had I been aware of this, ok call it "usability 'gap'", it would have been fixed in v1.9.2.1. I am one of the newest members of the Curecoin team and was honestly unaware Qt users were being expected to use the debug console every time they wanted to lock / unlock. I apologize for not being aware of or addressing this sooner. Most of my testing was done with the daemon, which explains my oversight as the daemon locks and unlocks as expected and by expected methods. Again, I apologize for not being aware of this sooner.

Sorry I had yet to introduce myself properly, my name is Steven. Pleased to meet you all!
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
My message explaining how to solve the the issue of the settings menu not being shown as part of the Curecoin wallet in Ubuntu/Unity was deleted by a zealous moderator...
So here is the solution again: Settings -> Appearance -> Behaviour
legendary

I have the 'unlock' and 'lock' option now under the 'settings' menu. I will make a pull request later this morning after thorough testing.

That makes it look like the "settings" menu isn't part of the wallet - which makes ZERO SENSE to do.

VERY anti-user-friendly, especially for those of us that LOATH that "Trinity" desktop and refuse to put up with it (hint, even UBUNTU is giving up on it and moving to something else, or already HAS moved to something else as of 17.04).

This is an Ubuntu virtual machine. That is where the file menu is. It does not move the file menu on Windows or whatever OS you may or may not be familiar with.
legendary

legendary

legendary
How do you unlock the wallet for staking?

Click 'Help' and then select 'Debug Window'.
Select the 'Console' tab.
In the box at the bottom enter:
Code:
walletpassphrase PASSWORD 999999 true
Replace "PASSWORD" with your password. The "999999" is timeout in seconds. The "true" is to unlock for staking only.

Sorry there is not an easier way yet. It will be addressed in a future release.
Activity: 525
Merit: 500
How do you unlock the wallet for staking?
Activity: 13
Merit: 2

Reminder:

Folding@home servers will be down for maintenance July 6th and 7th.
We will be taking this opportunity to conduct periodic maintenance on cryptobullionpools.com servers.

Link here to Stanford News Brief...

Rewards will be calculated in line with past maintenance and server down times; depending on whether Folding@home servers continue to accept finishing Work Units during maintenance, or if they delay acceptance until after the maintenance period. Cygnusxi will monitor which order FAH takes their servers down in order to make that determination.

SHA-256 mining and wallet PoS will be unaffected during this time ...

Pages:
Jump to: