Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] DriveShare - Earn money by sharing your extra hard drive space - page 2. (Read 22969 times)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Yep I think the cost of this setup should be quite less than the traditional file hosting sites, so hopefully many people will opt for this service.

I think if the cost is a little more than current storage services, there will still be a market for this service although much smaller. If this network can provide a cheaper option then this service will take over. Even if the cost of having storage on this network is significantly higher than other services there will still be a small group of users who will continue to use this and since this is an open source and community hosted network it can adapt over time to potentially reduce cost by possibly reducing the amount of redundancy or improving the algorithm in another way to make it more efficient.

I think the price $2/month/TB Not sure dough. Time will tell Smiley

Went through some of Shawn's posts earlier, and remember one where he mentioned that EMC charges $3k/TB for its cloud storage services.
Huge gap to play with between $2 and $3k, IMO.

Google Storage charges about $1.99/Month for 100GB and $9.99/Month for 1 TB and Amazon provides similar prices. I doubt EMC is charging that for only storage. $2 a month for 1TB would be very competitive.
Activity: 42
Yep I think the cost of this setup should be quite less than the traditional file hosting sites, so hopefully many people will opt for this service.

I think if the cost is a little more than current storage services, there will still be a market for this service although much smaller. If this network can provide a cheaper option then this service will take over. Even if the cost of having storage on this network is significantly higher than other services there will still be a small group of users who will continue to use this and since this is an open source and community hosted network it can adapt over time to potentially reduce cost by possibly reducing the amount of redundancy or improving the algorithm in another way to make it more efficient.

Went through some of Shawn's posts earlier, and remember one where he mentioned that EMC charges $3k/TB for its cloud storage services.
Huge gap to play with between $2 and $3k, IMO.
I wish Group C let people in with fewer STORJ

Agreed, but we all know that the early adopters get the rewards while everyone else gets a benefit. As I've said elsewhere, I'm still trying to figure out if the expense is worth it.

If you bought 10K sjcx at the exchanges (rate 0.00015669), you'll need to cough up about 1.5669 BTC.

It is better to buy now , I am sure you can double that in a few months until the market gets saturated

I don't intend to be a naysayer, but people should maintain realistic judgement. I see a good chance that lots of early adopters will feel comfortable selling off their original 10,000 SJCX when the full network goes live.

On the flip side, SJCXs value might soar if the beta is a roaring success.
Available in India?
DriveShare is borderless, as far as I can tell.
Interesting.. i always have few hundreds GB free.. is it enough to earn something? or we are talking about hundreds TB?

They way u store file chunks and their size being kept pretty small should allow for most users to be able to host them. Of course if there is a very high demand for storage the more you have available, the more you may earn. Also very important is reliability, the more your DriveShare node is online the better the chance of it getting a contract (i.e. file chunk).

This bit is interesting. I can repeat what is written in the Storj whitepaper, but I don't quite understand how this would work.
As blockchain technology improves we can use systems like Factom [9] to provide faster throughput, and Ethereum [10] to create en-forceable contracts on data storage.

Can you ELI5 please?
Activity: 10
Available in India?
Activity: 373
Merit: 250
Anybody knows how big is a chunk data stored on your hard drive ? Can chunk size be changed by a user?

the shard size is currently being tested in the beta phase, among other configurations. The end users will be able to request the level of redundancy they prefer, however, I the chunk size would not be a user defined option in order to assure network efficiency and data privacy.

Exerpt from the Storj whitepaper:

"We define a standardized shard size as a byte multiple such as 8 MB or 32 MB. These are kept at pre-set sizes to dissuade any attempt to determine what is being stored. Sharding also allows large files to be more manageable as they are distributed throughout the network..."

You can find out more about the details of chunking on Storj in the whitepaper´s chapter 2 here: http://storj.io/storj.pdf
My modest setup is ready Acer netbook 1.6 gb, 64 bit atom processors, up to 2 gb ram, built-in backup battery with 2TB external drive. Group C here I come Smiley
Anybody knows how big is a chunk data stored on your hard drive ? Can chunk size be changed by a user?
I wish Group C let people in with fewer STORJ

Agreed, but we all know that the early adopters get the rewards while everyone else gets a benefit. As I've said elsewhere, I'm still trying to figure out if the expense is worth it.

If you bought 10K sjcx at the exchanges (rate 0.00015669), you'll need to cough up about 1.5669 BTC.

If you think that the crowdfunding rate in PHASE 1 was 38,500 SJCX per Bitcoin Smiley
The main question remains - whether "decentralization" is really something that people value. I would not be suprised if people stay at Dropbox/Google. This is something I started to notice a while ago - people involved in crypto tend to overestimate decentralization. And crowd.. just does not care. So if there is no demand for decentralized storage - storjcoin price will go down. If there is demand - it will go up. Doesn't really matter what early adopters would do.

Only time will tell and I am still holding on to my SJCX.

There will be demand for sure, first of all because of the low price and second for the security it offers. I'm holding on to my SJCX too Smiley
Can you please tell us how will the rewards be split among Test Group B and Test Group C?

Will the rewards be proportional to the amount of space and bandwidth shared? (in the test phases I mean)

Will the rewards be proportional to the amount of SJCX owned? (will people with more SJCX earn more during test phase B and C ?)
I believe the rewards are determined by how much hardware you have to offer.The more hardware you have to offer the more you will earn.

The reward is determined on how much space is used from the space you offer!

Driveshare :- A storage created with a vision beyond imagination . The logo suits them  Wink
I just picked up 2 4TB USB 3.0 externals on Amazon for this Cheesy

I would love to do the same but right now I am not sure that I can justify the price without knowing more information.  I think it is more than likely a good investment but I have so little invested/to invest in crypto that I am more likely here to play with the new technology than pursue ROI...

That said, I have an older TB HD that is going to get hooked up when it is ready...

I can understand.  I had a few Amazon GC's laying around, so I just made the buy on impulse. 

Either way this goes, I can put one to use, at the very least.  My HDD on my laptop is filling up anyways Smiley
Creative way to monetize money .
Lovely idea!!Hope it gets it's attention it needed.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1002
I did a little mock-up of how my DriveShare setup might look sometime in the future:

Just for the fun of it :-)

cute mock-up. might borrow it if you don't mind and post it on FB.
I am all hyped for this  Grin . Lets see what the initial feedback comes from the early adopters  Shocked
Pages:
Jump to: