Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Extremecoin (EXC) - MANDATORY UPGRADE VERSION 1.5 (Kimoto Gravity Well) - page 37. (Read 97213 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005
Product Marketing & Promotion / Software Developer
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
Here is the new block value code in update 1.1:
It's broken.  

Code:
int64 static GetBlockValue(int nHeight, int64 nFees)
{
if(nHeight<4320) return 200*COIN; //720000 coins in two weeks
else if(nHeight<8640) return 100*COIN; //144000 coins in four weeks
else if(nHeight<12960) return 50*COIN; //72000 coins in 6 weeks
else if(nHeight>17280) return 1*COIN;
    int64 nSubsidy = 1 * COIN; // 1 Coin until 5 million limit reached

if(nHeight>5000000) nSubsidy=0;

return nSubsidy + nFees;

}

First of all, the immediate problem is, it won't sync the existing blockchain, because
the return value is not adding the nFees now.  (the bottom line is never reached
except when nHeight is between 12960 and 17280).  The effect is probably that
anybody starting a fresh blockchain download with the new code will probably hang up
at the first block that has significant fees.

Second, what this code is actually doing is issuing 200 coins/block for 15 days (4320 blocks),
then 100/block for 15 days, then 50/block for 15 days, then 1/block for the rest.
That's (200 * 4320) + (100 * 4320) + (50 * 4320) + 1 + 1 ... = 1512000 + 1 + 1 ... total coins.

So it will issue 1512000 coins in 45 days and then drop to 1/block.  
That's still not what you've described as the intended design.

Also the comments make no sense.  I thought your intent is to issue 4M coins in 8 weeks?
720000 + 144000 + 720000  does not equal 4M either.

Also, the (nHeight>5000000) test is not the right way to reduce subsidy to 0 after 5M coins.

Also, if you change the protocol in future, it needs to be switch-controlled at a particular block height.
(you can get away with no switch this time, because the chain is still under block 4320).

Finally, it needs to be structured so the nFees are always added.

Chad, I have very limited time to check/fix this coin.

If you PM me in words what exactly you want as a minting protocol, I will see about fixing it up for you this time.  (though I can't guarantee that's the only problem - I haven't checked all the rest of the code/changes).

Activity: 83
Well I haven't had any problems.  What seems to be the issue?
Activity: 67
ALERT -  UPGRADE 1.1 BROKEN  -  do not upgrade

Upgrade 1.1 is broken in the block value computation - it's not sensible and also appears to be incompatible with the existing blockchain - the existing blockchain cannot sync to this upgrade.

I will post more details in another message or edit here shortly.
Updated client, redownloading block chain.. will see how it works out

Might have to wait for the pool to update aswell. The seed node is upto date. Just the pool to update the client now and things will get back to normal with the block reward drop in place.

stuck updating at 2164 ~

should I just keep farming at the pool?

Once the pool has updated their client and so have most of the other users to the new version, then everything will start syncing up.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 683
Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

Might have to wait for the pool to update aswell. The seed node is upto date. Just the pool to update the client now and things will get back to normal with the block reward drop in place.

stuck updating at 2164 ~

should I just keep farming at the pool?
Activity: 83
Updated.  I can see it on my taskbar now.  Thanks captchadd, you've obviously been working hard and I think it's paid off.  Look at all the miners digging away with their ickle cpus.  I think your gonna answer the question on everybodies mind....... WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE COINS RUN OUT.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
I am not worried about people stopping mining this coin after the reward is gone, as I have got myself another rig that will be dedicated to just mining this coin and keep it going.
That's real great. You think your little mining rig will keep the network alive? Do you think hashrate is irrelevant? It's what protects your coin against attacks. If it's just your shitty little 2MHash rig keeping the network alive, it would be trivial to 51% attack.

Anyone pointing hashes at this garbage is wasting their time, and money.

i remember you makes more garbage a months ago, flashcoin and a lot of garbage (and apparently you want make this again)!!! pfff ... the donkey speaks about big ears.
Takes a true moron to take joke releases as something serious Cheesy

I am behind many coins, probably at least one or two of which you support... And you don't even know it.

Activity: 112
I am not worried about people stopping mining this coin after the reward is gone, as I have got myself another rig that will be dedicated to just mining this coin and keep it going.
That's real great. You think your little mining rig will keep the network alive? Do you think hashrate is irrelevant? It's what protects your coin against attacks. If it's just your shitty little 2MHash rig keeping the network alive, it would be trivial to 51% attack.

i remember you makes more garbage a months ago, flashcoin and a lot of garbage (and apparently you want make this again)!!! pfff ... the donkey speaks about big ears.

Might need to read the post above, as I have updated the client, as I know transaction fee's will not be enough alone.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Any news about exchanges?

I have sent a few emails and some other users are posting around as they want to see it in an exchange aswell.

I hope that the new version with its improvements and fixes will help get it on one of them.

The mining pool is going strong so the interest is there for these coins.
Activity: 105
Any news about exchanges?
Hi all,

As you might know there are some code issues with Extremecoin that could effect the 4 million block reward reducing to 0 around the two month mark.

A fix for this has already been added to the V 1.1 code but I want this coin to seem less like a research coin and instead a serious coin.

So the finished version might have a few more changes, here are some examples:

1) The block reward reduces a certain amount of blocks by half (similar to Infinitecoin) and then stops and stays at only 1 EXC coin per block at the end of the two month halving. This idea is due to the extreme nature of this coin and that I don't think in the early days, transaction fee's alone will keep users mining.

2) This would increase the total amount of Extremecoin past the 4 million mark but at 1 EXC per block, it is not going to have any massive impact.

3) I think at least for the first 6 months of this coin and depending on it's success, a fixed fee of 0.01 should be added, to attract miners even more and also as a way to say "Thanks" for them mining and keeping the network going.

That's the examples and idea's over.

The other changes are:

1) In Client Icon changes, I am going to be bringing over some of the Icon changes from my other coins and adding a few new ones. Just giving the client a slight custom look.

2) Actual client logo change. I think the current one is too dark, so I have created a new one which is much brighter and easier to see. No logo as such but the letters EXC, so it's easier to know which client the Icon is for. Having 150 logo's of random images is going to at some point, get confusing on anyone's taskbar or desktop, if you trade in several different coins.

3) Checkpoints. This is a given and added for security.

Any other changes will be added here and the new version should be release toward the start of next month, I am not rushing things, as I care about this coin and want to get things accurate while still keeping them simple.

Thanks
been farming this coin non stop, interesting to see what will happen!

It will be interesting but I am serious with this coin continuing past the the two months and becoming a Crypto listed on an exchange.

The new version 1.1 is going to fix any problems in the code for the last block to have a reward and also adding a fair fixed fee system.

This is a trade based coin and is not a test or research coin, so should be treated by the exchanges the same as the rest of the new Crypto's being released.
been farming this coin non stop, interesting to see what will happen!
I have already covered any pre mine that this coin had. I have been paying bounties, more than listed on the OP and doing a free giveaway. The premine is gone. I mine now like everyone else.
Pages:
Jump to: