Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] FutureBit Moonlander 2: The Most Powerful and Efficient USB Stick Miner! - page 27. (Read 82994 times)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0
You can mine alternative scrypt coins with less difficulty and bet to a price increase bigger than ltc.

I'm not being negative guys, just asking the questions to understand. Less difficult alt coins are even cheaper, i buy 1 LTC and exchange to those, will get heaps of each.

The problem is: to secure the coins against the exchange's CEO stealing everything, I will need to download the block chain of each alt coin. This has to be on a very fast SSD, minmum 1 TB for all the coins. I could safeguard each wallet.dat and delete the wallet, but that means I can't buy again more of that coin unless i reinstall and download the block chain.

Everything seems easier than mining 24/7.
Activity: 275
Merit: 100
Data Collecting Textile Circuitry
i would like to get a couple of these but missed the preorder. is it possible to get them anywhere??
Activity: 1176
Merit: 111
Arguably, if that is your goal, you would be better off just buying the coin and hold.
That said, I pre-ordered a couple and am going to do exactly this. At these prices and speed it's more about having fun, and perhaps support the network on some of the smaller coins.

That's my plan. I'm looking at multipool.us to mine the most "profitable" scrypt altcoin. I guess this will be my form of "buy and hold".
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
You will never make your money back running one of these. As it sits the ROI is nearly 2 years at current prices, meaning you will be priced out by the difficulty adjustments and never break even. Then you add in the costs of a powered hub and you are just throwing money away. I just dont get it....

Generally mining is betting the price will go up and then it pays out. The outlook for LTC is that will go up, thus miners tend to cost more. Take for instance Bitmain, they had L3+ selling for $1250 in June. Now it's $2280, the same machine.  Expectancy is the future price of total coins generated would at least pay off this total, before the cost of power makes profit negative.

By the time you find out it's profitable (because the price went up) it will be too late.

I just bought 1 LTC from kraken for $54. So let's say that's the equivalent of 1.85 LTC had i paid $100 which is the cose of the miner. If I placed these $54 (or $100 for argument's sake) on the miner, would I have been better off? I'm finding it hard to work out the true ROI, assuming the price of LTC/USD does not change over time.

You can mine alternative scrypt coins with less difficulty and bet to a price increase bigger than ltc.

Arguably, if that is your goal, you would be better off just buying the coin and hold.
That said, I pre-ordered a couple and am going to do exactly this. At these prices and speed it's more about having fun, and perhaps support the network on some of the smaller coins.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
You will never make your money back running one of these. As it sits the ROI is nearly 2 years at current prices, meaning you will be priced out by the difficulty adjustments and never break even. Then you add in the costs of a powered hub and you are just throwing money away. I just dont get it....

Generally mining is betting the price will go up and then it pays out. The outlook for LTC is that will go up, thus miners tend to cost more. Take for instance Bitmain, they had L3+ selling for $1250 in June. Now it's $2280, the same machine.  Expectancy is the future price of total coins generated would at least pay off this total, before the cost of power makes profit negative.

By the time you find out it's profitable (because the price went up) it will be too late.

I just bought 1 LTC from kraken for $54. So let's say that's the equivalent of 1.85 LTC had i paid $100 which is the cose of the miner. If I placed these $54 (or $100 for argument's sake) on the miner, would I have been better off? I'm finding it hard to work out the true ROI, assuming the price of LTC/USD does not change over time.

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

That's the case with all coins.  The only thing you can do is project at current difficulty and price.  From there it's just guessing.

M
Activity: 19

Activity: 69

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
After some digging I've found this, although it's pretty expensive.  Will it fully power 10 units?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0XP-005K-00058&cm_re=powered_usb_3.0_hub-_-0XP-005K-00058-_-Product

You won't FIT 10 Moonlanders on that, the ports are too tightly spaced.
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
Activity: 4
Hi y'all - This will be my first time mining, and I've started to gather all of the necessary supplies.  After checking all of the Moonwalker threads it seems most of the powered USB 3.0 hubs that have been recommended are no longer available and I don't feel comfortable rigging together my own hub as mentioned above.  After some digging I've found this, although it's pretty expensive.  Will it fully power 10 units?  and/or has anyone found a cheaper one?  Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0XP-005K-00058&cm_re=powered_usb_3.0_hub-_-0XP-005K-00058-_-Product
Activity: 104
So, I'm not comfortable hacking together my own USB powered HUB. Most likely I will buy one or more. If I have an old MacBook Pro early 2011. Everything in USB system report says Current Available (mA) is 500. Can I purchase external AC powered USB 3.0 hubs and attach it to the USB 2.0 port? Would I be able to use Moonlander 2 at full power this way?

Yes and Yes

Activity: 1176
Merit: 111
So, I'm not comfortable hacking together my own USB powered HUB. Most likely I will buy one or more. If I have an old MacBook Pro early 2011. Everything in USB system report says Current Available (mA) is 500. Can I purchase external AC powered USB 3.0 hubs and attach it to the USB 2.0 port? Would I be able to use Moonlander 2 at full power this way? Or do all ports have to be USB 3.0 capable from start to finish? I hope the question makes sense... It'd be a shame and waste to run less than 5 MH/s on the Moonlander 2 I pre-ordered.
Activity: 9
Hi guys, I bought 2 of these but I will receive them in few months.
I'm a noob in mining, they are my first mining materials. I know they will come with some instructions but I would like to learn and be prepared when I will receive them.
Can you please point me to some good resources to learn about mining. I know they are plenty of them, it is not laziness, just want to know where to start and what is appropriate to know for these (algos, solo vs pool...)?

You have to learn about

- Mining pool
- Mining tool (like bfgminer, which may be distributed by jstefanop)
Activity: 812
Merit: 270
Hi guys, I bought 2 of these but I will receive them in few months.
I'm a noob in mining, they are my first mining materials. I know they will come with some instructions but I would like to learn and be prepared when I will receive them.
Can you please point me to some good resources to learn about mining. I know they are plenty of them, it is not laziness, just want to know where to start and what is appropriate to know for these (algos, solo vs pool...)?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1400
Got a quibble with your original post.

USB 2 is limited to 500 ma at 5 volts, or 2.5 watts.
 You're not going to pull 3 Megahash on a stock USB2 port without going well beyond it's specs.

USB *3* has a 900 ma limit - 4.5 watts - THAT'S where you can pull enough power out of the connection without exceeding specs to get close to 3 Megahash.

USB "battery charging" ports are special case upgrades to the USB 3 specs for power distribution, and a lot of "powered hubs" are capable of quite a bit more current per port than the spec requires even if they don't meet the full "battery charging" specs.

Stick miners have NEVER been intended to compete on a hash/$ basis with a "full" miner, there are way too many overhead costs that are always quite a bit higher per chip.

My original post was never comparing USB 2 ports....most people have USB 3 ports these days, and in its current config the stick can do almost 4 MH on USB 3 power. I was mostly stating the fact that you can stick this in your normal USB 3 port without extra hubs or anything else and it will run at nearly full speed.

EDIT: nvm i see where the confusion came from...I had mistaken listed USB 2 in my OP and meant USB 3.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1400
The final design has been locked in for production next month, and I'm happy to reveal it you all! PCB is a cool matte black design, with the same anodized black aluminum heatsink as the original moonlander. I decided to include both memory voltage adjustment in addition to core voltage, as my tests had an efficiency gain of 10-20% for ASICs that can handle lower memory voltage!

As a super thank you to all who pre-ordered I decided to include a 25mm fan into the cooling solution as well, so no need to come up with clumsy external fan solutions to keep these cool. A top side small ASIC heatsink will also be included to further increase thermal efficiency (it will be black not blue).

Looks great! Can you share final dimensions?

25mm width, total length from front of USB port to back of fan 85mm, hight from bottom of main heatsink to top of small heatsink ~34mm
Activity: 4
The final design has been locked in for production next month, and I'm happy to reveal it you all! PCB is a cool matte black design, with the same anodized black aluminum heatsink as the original moonlander. I decided to include both memory voltage adjustment in addition to core voltage, as my tests had an efficiency gain of 10-20% for ASICs that can handle lower memory voltage!

As a super thank you to all who pre-ordered I decided to include a 25mm fan into the cooling solution as well, so no need to come up with clumsy external fan solutions to keep these cool. A top side small ASIC heatsink will also be included to further increase thermal efficiency (it will be black not blue).

Looks great! Can you share final dimensions?
Activity: 281
Merit: 130
Crypto Addicted

You're not going to pull 3 Megahash on a stock USB2 port without going well beyond it's specs.

USB *3* has a 900 ma limit - 4.5 watts - THAT'S where you can pull enough power out of the connection without exceeding specs to get close to 3 Megahash.

USB "battery charging" ports are special case upgrades to the USB 3 specs for power distribution, and a lot of "powered hubs" are capable of quite a bit more current per port than the spec requires even if they don't meet the full "battery charging" specs.

Stick miners have NEVER been intended to compete on a hash/$ basis with a "full" miner, there are way too many overhead costs that are always quite a bit higher per chip.

thats why we were told to buy special powered usb hubs or build on your own.

i already did that .. was not to hard to do Smiley (adding external power to cheap usb hub)
i planed to take some more pictures but it was done so easy and fast .. i just forgot .. lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn0vmmh7xw11ufo/2017-09-23%2011.20.45.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c32auzxj7kbizt/2017-09-22%2020.20.19.jpg?dl=0

Cut off the red wire and weld wire from power supply (+) on the pin.
weld (-) from power supply to one of the shield from an usb port (mass).

Done!

Greetings - Astrali

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

Pages:
Jump to: