Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] FutureBit Moonlander 2: The Most Powerful and Efficient USB Stick Miner! - page 29. (Read 82994 times)

Activity: 89
Merit: 10
So I've been playing around with memory voltage on the production board(Moonlander 2 has a separate memory voltage controller), and was originally not going to include an adjustment for memory voltage (was going to be fixed), but I've been able to make some significant powers savings by tweaking memory. So looks like you guys will have full voltage control over both memory and core voltage Cheesy This frees me up from having to choose a "high" memory voltage set point to ensure it working across all chips, and you guys can tweak even lower if the ASIC allows.

Ive been able to get the low end (3.4 MH/s) down to just .75 amps! Thats 3.75 watts and 1.1 watts/MH!

For comparison to the L3+ , if I could build a 150 chip version, that would be 510 MH @ ~ 560 watts!
Wow! This is impressive! Any plans for a Moonlander 3 with multiple asic chips? Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1400
So I've been playing around with memory voltage on the production board(Moonlander 2 has a separate memory voltage controller), and was originally not going to include an adjustment for memory voltage (was going to be fixed), but I've been able to make some significant powers savings by tweaking memory. So looks like you guys will have full voltage control over both memory and core voltage Cheesy This frees me up from having to choose a "high" memory voltage set point to ensure it working across all chips, and you guys can tweak even lower if the ASIC allows.

Ive been able to get the low end (3.4 MH/s) down to just .75 amps! Thats 3.75 watts and 1.1 watts/MH!

For comparison to the L3+ , if I could build a 150 chip version, that would be 510 MH @ ~ 560 watts!
legendary
Do we have an estimated shipping date? Smiley

I want to know too, but just trust him and give him time to do the best work Cheesy

When I saw his picture of the production candidate (smaller than dev) and the following message of considering heatsink and small fan, I felt his passion for the product.
That is great. So I want him to do what he wants, to improve the product.

Shipping is all dependent on when I get the ASICs, and foundry is still on schedule for mid-october delivery to me. Most major parts are ordered, and PCB design is is almost complete. As soon as I have the chips ill be able to start production and will be shipping out hundreds per day. The first people that pre-ordered will probably get theirs end of october, and if you were at the end of the pre-order probably mid-november.

And yes, this at minimum will ship with heatsink, and all you need to run at lower end speeds without a fan. Im trying to work with a small fan manufacture so I can bundle a fan as a "thanks" to everyone that pre-ordered. This will allow you to run it at almost full speed without needing an external fan to blow on the sticks.

Thanks jstefanop for the update! Out of curiosity, will you solder the ASIC chip into the PCB by hand? Smiley

If I made each one by hand, then you guys wouldn't get these until 2019 Wink

All the prototypes I have shown are made by hand though...im about to go blind placing hundreds of components Cheesy
Activity: 281
Merit: 130
Crypto Addicted

I want to know too, but just trust him and give him time to do the best work Cheesy

When I saw his picture of the production candidate (smaller than dev) and the following message of considering heatsink and small fan, I felt his passion for the product.

Shipping is all dependent on when I get the ASICs, and foundry is still on schedule for mid-october delivery to me. Most major parts are ordered, and PCB design is is almost complete. As soon as I have the chips ill be able to start production and will be shipping out hundreds per day. The first people that pre-ordered will probably get theirs end of october, and if you were at the end of the pre-order probably mid-november.

And yes, this at minimum will ship with heatsink, and all you need to run at lower end speeds without a fan. Im trying to work with a small fan manufacture so I can bundle a fan as a "thanks" to everyone that pre-ordered. This will allow you to run it at almost full speed without needing an external fan to blow on the sticks.

this sounds great for me Cheesy
i got an 5V 3A power supply now and ordered a cheap USB hub. will use this one to power my moonlander 2 Cheesy
cant wait to get my hands on it.

i already were looking for a moonlander 1 at decent price for a while .. getting the new version for same price is great Smiley

thanks a lot that you continued your work!

Thanks jstefanop for the update! Out of curiosity, will you solder the ASIC chip into the PCB by hand? Smiley
legendary

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Did you purchase your ASIC chips pre made or have it made specifically for you?
Activity: 7
EUR 64 + shipping huh. That's $80 a pop.
That's a year to break even at current difficulty levels.

Think long and hard, guys.

Several times in this thread you've poo-pooed the product, but fail to take in account the potential increase in the value of the mined coins nor do you account for the potential of mining a new altcoin which takes off and increases in value.  It is all a gamble, even spending tens of thousands of dollars on massive multi-ASIC miners or renting a few peta/hash to throw at coins, you could be hosed if the price of coins tumbles.

Best part is, dude has SOLD OUT.  And, will like sell out his second run on gen2 as well.
Activity: 294
Merit: 252
Activity: 1176
Merit: 111
Are there plans for Moon lander 2.1 where overcooking has physical barriers out led indicators for voltage or clock speed? I don't know How much parts like this raises the unit cost.
Activity: 9

Activity: 148
if you want to power them externally I would just get a cheap hub, open it up, and solder its +5v and GND to an external 5v supply.
Awesome, this was totally what i had planned Cheesy
Crypto Addicted
your pics show rests of thermal compound - will they be delivered including heatsink or will we have to find a heatsink that fits on our own?

Yes everything you need to run it will come with it, including heatsink and possibly a small fan.

this sounds great!
the possibility for external power would be lovely as well.
otherwise i will have to hack some usb cable or switch Wink
legendary
your pics show rests of thermal compound - will they be delivered including heatsink or will we have to find a heatsink that fits on our own?

Yes everything you need to run it will come with it, including heatsink and possibly a small fan.
Crypto Addicted
legendary

I think you don't need to do it because they are powered by USB, but USB hub (if you use) need to be powered.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.21486145

It consumes about 5W normally (maybe around 4MH), about 1.5W/MH but it doesn't increase linearly.Please read the thread.

I understand that they can be powered by the hub.  What I was curious about is if I could deliver power externally through a bench top power supply.  Then I don't have to worry about the hub being able to deliver the required power.  So if there are some test points on the board I can deliver power directly to, I would be able to use older hubs I have laying around.  In the picture provided we can see that he has soldered power directly to the +5 and ground pins of the usb connector so I can assume that power is being delivered externally.  I personally would rather deliver or supplement power somewhere else on the pwa/pcb such as repurposing a test point.     

Those wires actually go to a small fan I'm testing, but if you want to power them externally I would just get a cheap hub, open it up, and solder its +5v and GND to an external 5v supply.
Activity: 630
Merit: 103
Bounty Manager For Hire!!
Where can I still preorder?

its already SOLD OUT and you can only purchase it from a reseller which will cost x3 to x5 of the price. goodluck
Activity: 275
Merit: 100
Data Collecting Textile Circuitry
Where can I still preorder?
Pages:
Jump to: