Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] FutureBit Moonlander 2: The Most Powerful and Efficient USB Stick Miner! - page 28. (Read 82994 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
The final design has been locked in for production next month, and I'm happy to reveal it you all! PCB is a cool matte black design, with the same anodized black aluminum heatsink as the original moonlander. I decided to include both memory voltage adjustment in addition to core voltage, as my tests had an efficiency gain of 10-20% for ASICs that can handle lower memory voltage!

As a super thank you to all who pre-ordered I decided to include a 25mm fan into the cooling solution as well, so no need to come up with clumsy external fan solutions to keep these cool. A top side small ASIC heatsink will also be included to further increase thermal efficiency (it will be black not blue). With this setup I've achieved 1.6W/MH all the way up to 800mhz, which is 4.6 MH of hash power for just 7.5 watts! Pretty impressive for a chip thats designed to do 3.8 MH at the same watts.

Check out the pics below!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4355/37391800115_7d5fc65b69_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4362/37220187022_161420de30_c.jpg[/url]

Looks good. Missed the first batch. Please have a chat with klintay https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/klintay-122882 for Asia distribution.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1400
The final design has been locked in for production next month, and I'm happy to reveal it you all! PCB is a cool matte black design, with the same anodized black aluminum heatsink as the original moonlander. I decided to include both memory voltage adjustment in addition to core voltage, as my tests had an efficiency gain of 10-20% for ASICs that can handle lower memory voltage!

As a super thank you to all who pre-ordered I decided to include a 25mm fan into the cooling solution as well, so no need to come up with clumsy external fan solutions to keep these cool. A top side small ASIC heatsink will also be included to further increase thermal efficiency (it will be black not blue). With this setup I've achieved 1.6W/MH all the way up to 800mhz, which is 4.6 MH of hash power for just 7.5 watts! Pretty impressive for a chip thats designed to do 3.8 MH at the same watts.

Check out the pics below!

[/url]
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
Just checked bitmain: L3 504Mhs for 2200 USD.

100 x USB miners = 500 Mhs
100 x $80 = $8000

L3+ @ 2200 USD, even if it is a cashed page, is 400% cheaper.

These are meant to be lower cost, power efficient devices to allow/entice/enable new miners an alternative to burning up their video cards.  The more people mining, the better.
Activity: 19
Just checked bitmain: L3 504Mhs for 2200 USD.

100 x USB miners = 500 Mhs
100 x $80 = $8000

L3+ @ 2200 USD, even if it is a cashed page, is 400% cheaper.
Activity: 9
Can't wait for the delivery Grin
Activity: 281
Merit: 130
Crypto Addicted
any announcements on the next batch?

scroll just a few questions back - pre sale orders most probably from mid of october to november.
after all the presales might come a second batch.

so there is definitely no announcement for a second batch.

You will have to wait Smiley
Activity: 130
Merit: 10
any announcements on the next batch?
legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats
Keep in mind to mine these at a decent hashrate  (4MH), you only need 5 watts (1A per port). The original moonlanders you needed at LEAST 7-10 watts to mine anywhere near 1MH so these are way more USB port friendly, and alot more hubs *should* work with them.

1 amp is easy on a stable usb hub. that is very power efficient
when is the next batch?
Activity: 34
As I missed pre-order, when should I expect an order or moonlander 3 ?
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Keep in mind to mine these at a decent hashrate  (4MH), you only need 5 watts (1A per port). The original moonlanders you needed at LEAST 7-10 watts to mine anywhere near 1MH so these are way more USB port friendly, and alot more hubs *should* work with them.

any luck on getting the drivers for bfgminer to run both v1 and v2 on the same usb hub?
legendary
Activity: 4
Ah shoot. Didn't see the "don't use this hub with high power-consumption devices" entry.

Any recommendations for other hubs with appropriate power supplies? I've tried to find the superbpag ones but they are either OOS everywhere or no longer made.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Anyone have a good idea what USB hub will be best to run 20+ of these?

I was considering this for 10x
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20-Port-USB-HUB-Dual-USB2-0-Adapter-Industrial-Grade-Industrial-Class-Production/172852980142?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=471634643073&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Has 20 ports, 90W power supply. Two could likely meet the power/space requirements.

Was also looking at this, but kind of pricey for what it is.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-10-Port-Adapter-Including-Charging/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505671531&sr=8-2&keywords=Anker+10+Port+60W+USB+3.0+Hub

Also looking into adding 5V power to an underpowered 2.0 hub as many in this thread have suggested. I've only done moderate research on it so far and am concerned about the power management and getting beyond design currents.

the anker hub wont work.. i have one and it wont even power the first gen moonlanders.. its limited to .9w per port..

i have 8 first gen running on 2 superbpag 7 port hubs.. but it seems amazon no longer has a seller for those..

the 20 port hub you linked from ebay might work, but you can only use every other port.. so the most it seems you can get is 12

I was considering this for 10x
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20-Port-USB-HUB-Dual-USB2-0-Adapter-Industrial-Grade-Industrial-Class-Production/172852980142?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=471634643073&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Has 20 ports, 90W power supply. Two could likely meet the power/space requirements.

Was also looking at this, but kind of pricey for what it is.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-10-Port-Adapter-Including-Charging/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505671531&sr=8-2&keywords=Anker+10+Port+60W+USB+3.0+Hub

Also looking into adding 5V power to an underpowered 2.0 hub as many in this thread have suggested. I've only done moderate research on it so far and am concerned about the power management and getting beyond design currents.
Activity: 595
Merit: 506
I didn't have any spare cash to get one in the end, but thanks to people like you and sidehack for making these chips for the community Smiley Maybe in a few months I can pick a few up.
Activity: 37
when can we buy next batch?
legendary
So I've been playing around with memory voltage on the production board(Moonlander 2 has a separate memory voltage controller), and was originally not going to include an adjustment for memory voltage (was going to be fixed), but I've been able to make some significant powers savings by tweaking memory. So looks like you guys will have full voltage control over both memory and core voltage Cheesy This frees me up from having to choose a "high" memory voltage set point to ensure it working across all chips, and you guys can tweak even lower if the ASIC allows.

Ive been able to get the low end (3.4 MH/s) down to just .75 amps! Thats 3.75 watts and 1.1 watts/MH!

For comparison to the L3+ , if I could build a 150 chip version, that would be 510 MH @ ~ 560 watts!

as there already is a variant with Huge amount of chips ..
i would be interested about something in the middle .. maybe a device with 20 or 30 chips.

This will most probably be payable to an average dude like me but still rock the house! Cheesy

Yea I would not, nor have the capability to build a huge ASIC...plus it goes against my philosophy of spreading out the hash. And yes if I do build a non USB ASIC it would be a "pod" style in the 5-20 asic range Wink
Activity: 554
Merit: 175
after which time we can buy this miner again?
Activity: 281
Merit: 130
Crypto Addicted
So I've been playing around with memory voltage on the production board(Moonlander 2 has a separate memory voltage controller), and was originally not going to include an adjustment for memory voltage (was going to be fixed), but I've been able to make some significant powers savings by tweaking memory. So looks like you guys will have full voltage control over both memory and core voltage Cheesy This frees me up from having to choose a "high" memory voltage set point to ensure it working across all chips, and you guys can tweak even lower if the ASIC allows.

Ive been able to get the low end (3.4 MH/s) down to just .75 amps! Thats 3.75 watts and 1.1 watts/MH!

For comparison to the L3+ , if I could build a 150 chip version, that would be 510 MH @ ~ 560 watts!

as there already is a variant with Huge amount of chips ..
i would be interested about something in the middle .. maybe a device with 20 or 30 chips.

This will most probably be payable to an average dude like me but still rock the house! Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: