Author

Topic: [ANN] KRAKEN.COM - Exchange with USD EUR GBP JPY CAD BTC LTC XRP NMC XDG STR ETH - page 205. (Read 628818 times)

legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000
And will those trades show up in the volume?

Yes, good question. We are still discussing how to handle the dark pool volume. However it gets reported, it would definitely be done with a delay though. 
Activity: 102
Merit: 10

I have this case using the dark pool.

-I create a margin long limit order like:  BUY 50 XBT/EUR.d  LIMIT 200,  with conditional close LIMIT 202
-The order doesn't appear in the order book (dark pool) and gets filled slowly.
-Now, each time the order gets filled, a conditional close limit 200 order gets created until the buy order got filled completely.

Question:
Are these automatically created conditional close orders going to be invisible as well ( dark pool )  ?
This question arises, because the limit for a dark pool order is 50BTC.

EDIT:
I just realized that dark pool operates on a separate order book, so a 50BTC dark pool order would have to get filled at once, as the current minimum has been set to 50BTC.
So I assume a conditional close order would have to appear on the very same dark pool order book and thus would not appear to the public as well.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
legendary
Yes, the minimum is 50 BTC. It could be lowered some (say maybe to 25 BTC) if we get enough requests for that. The idea behind it is to be able to place large orders without others knowing, since if other traders know about your large buy/sell interest, this might cause the market to move against you and make it harder to fill your order. So it's intended specifically as a service for placing large orders.
Yes this a good reason. But as far as I know, other exchanges have no special minimum limit for dark orders.

Because you can add the argument:
Also for small orders it could get difficult to get filled, when there are alot of bots active.
Some aggressive bots are written that way, that they will always overbid you 0.01€ or simular. By making your order a dark order, these bots would not know about your order and would not overbid you.

So I think there should not be a limit, because both arguments have the same "value"

I believe LakeBTC offers a dark pool, and their minimum order is also 50 BTC. Remember that the dark pool is a separate market with a separate hidden order book. It's not intended as a market for bots to run on. The sole purpose of the market is as place where people can place large orders discretely. If you allow small order size, then people can now probe the hidden book with small orders to try and figure out where the orders are, so it undermines the privacy somewhat. One use case for the dark pool might be where someone puts up 10,000 BTC to sell and has previously arranged with someone else to put up a matching sell order to take it. Both parties want this to happen in private and are willing to pay an extra 0.1% fee for the privacy.

But there is a different product that is also useful, even more useful to some, and offered by some other exchanges - namely hidden orders that go to the lit pool (i.e. the normal visible order book). This type of order would be useful for dealing with the bots on the lit pool and here I agree that it does make sense to allow for smaller orders. This is something we are also looking at offering, but we consider it to be a separate product. So, stay tuned, and maybe you will be able to place hidden orders to the lit pool if that feature appeals to you.  

legendary
Not when the orders are limited to 50, but when i place an order over 2BTC, i really wouldn't care about the premium, just to protect me from the bots.
Anyway, i believe the Kraken offer to be sound.
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
Wouldnt that lead to most offers being placed in the "dark"?

Well, it costs an additional fee of 0.1%, so I guess that will keep people from placing dark orders. Also, the volume will probably lower than in the normal order book. So, even without a minimum limit to dark orders I do not think dark orders will be the dominant order type.
legendary
Activity: 2926
Merit: 1131

Since there is an additional fee, I don't think most user will place hidden orders. Only when it's necessary.
I looked for the minimum from bitfinex... but it seems their limit is 500BTC ?! Cheesy

I'm sure those hidden orders will be displayed at the last trades, so also in the traded volume.
legendary

legendary
Yes, the minimum is 50 BTC. It could be lowered some (say maybe to 25 BTC) if we get enough requests for that. The idea behind it is to be able to place large orders without others knowing, since if other traders know about your large buy/sell interest, this might cause the market to move against you and make it harder to fill your order. So it's intended specifically as a service for placing large orders.
Yes this a good reason. But as far as I know, other exchanges have no special minimum limit for dark orders.

Because you can add the argument:
Also for small orders it could get difficult to get filled, when there are alot of bots active.
Some aggressive bots are written that way, that they will always overbid you 0.01€ or simular. By making your order a dark order, these bots would not know about your order and would not overbid you.

So I think there should not be a limit, because both arguments have the same "value"
legendary
Hi Serpens,
I'll try to answer these questions now before you edit this post one more time Wink

Ok, so your dark pool orders will not be visible (to yourself) in the order book, they will only be visible in your account. And yet they will exist in the (invisible-to-clients) dark pool order book, which is not the normal order book!   

Also, you CAN create dark pool orders via API. The code is xxbtzeur.d.

Let me (or Dargo) get back to you about (b), the minimal order size
xD

Thanks, that answers my question Smiley

Another question about dark orders:
The Minimum limit is 50btc for this, right? Will you lower this limit some day? If so, to what minimum could that be?

legendary
Hi Serpens,
I'll try to answer these questions now before you edit this post one more time Wink

Ok, so your dark pool orders will not be visible (to yourself) in the order book, they will only be visible in your account. And yet they will exist in the (invisible-to-clients) dark pool order book, which is not the normal order book!   

xD

Thanks, that answers my question Smiley

Another question about dark orders:
The Minimum limit is 50btc for this, right? Will you lower this limit some day? If so, to what minimum could that be?
Activity: 244
Merit: 250
I read about the new "dark pool" feature.
Will there be a new orderbook for dark orders or are they added to the normal orderbook ? I guess the second is right, but in the email it was not clear Smiley
And in the email you wrote "the only one who is able to see the dark order is you". I created a dark buy order of 50BTC at a low price, but it was not visible for me in the orderbook.

edit:
and will Bots be able to create dark orders via API ?
a thread about dark pool:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1087121.msg0;topicseen#new

And another topic:
The minimum amount of an normal order is 0.01BTC, even via API, right? How is it possible that sometimes there are alot of orders lower than that? It was like 0.001BTC every 5 cents.  So it could not be partially filled orders.  Is there a way to place orders lower than 0.01BTC ?
If wanted I can take a screenshot next time I see it.

Hi Serpens,

legendary
I read about the new "dark pool" feature.
Will there be a new orderbook for dark orders or are they added to the normal orderbook ? I guess the second is right, but in the email it was not clear Smiley
And in the email you wrote "the only one who is able to see the dark order is you". I created a dark buy order of 50BTC at a low price, but it was not visible for me in the orderbook.

edit:
and will Bots be able to create dark orders via API ?
a thread about dark pool:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1087121.msg0;topicseen#new

And another topic:
The minimum amount of an normal order is 0.01BTC, even via API, right? How is it possible that sometimes there are alot of orders lower than that? It was like 0.001BTC every 5 cents.  So it could not be partially filled orders.  Is there a way to place orders lower than 0.01BTC ?
If wanted I can take a screenshot next time I see it.
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
Hi All,

Our CEO, Jesse Powell, is doing a google hangout session tomorrow (Thurs 11AM PDT (UTC -7)). The title of the session is "Features, Functionality & Trader Focused Products." You will be able to view it on youtube if you miss the session.

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/39b6rq/hangout_w_jesse_powell_of_kraken_features/

Edit: the session is tomorrow, not today.
I will not be able to make it, but want to say how much I appreciate the opportunity. Thumbs up!
legendary
Hi All,

Our CEO, Jesse Powell, is doing a google hangout session tomorrow (Thurs 11AM PDT (UTC -7)). The title of the session is "Features, Functionality & Trader Focused Products." You will be able to view it on youtube if you miss the session.

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/39b6rq/hangout_w_jesse_powell_of_kraken_features/

Edit: the session is tomorrow, not today.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1083
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
congratulations ! how much money does this business make ? I am planning to get into it and am wondering if its a good business Cheesy

What do you speak about? Creating an exchange? There are very much already and its hard to get high volumes so that you can earn enough from it. The chinese no fee exchanges will take it away from you.

If you speak about leverage trading... if you ask that way then you will lose everything practically the first day. If you want to you need to start with a very small amount, lets say $20. Then learn how to read charts and indicators and you will be very happe that you did not start with a big amount of money.
Activity: 637
Merit: 262
congratulations ! how much money does this business make ? I am planning to get into it and am wondering if its a good business Cheesy
legendary
Hello,

Im Tier 4 on Kraken and I only can say that the platform, support and market are awesome. Always I had a problem, support helps me. The last one was to pay my tax, I need my history record of transactions and deposit + withdrawals and in less of one week, they have my .csv and we have a new tool in kraken website https://www.kraken.com/u/history/export this is a fantastic job.

Thanks Kraken !  Grin

Glad to hear you are enjoying the service and thanks for pointing out this new feature! You can now go to History > Export in your account to get csv exports of your trading or ledger history. The basic steps are to choose the time period you want data for and you can choose the type of data you want. You then submit a request for the export. You may not get the export right away, because the request is put in a que to ensure that our system doesn't get overloaded with too many requests at once.
legendary
So far we haven't been able to reproduce this issue. What error message are you seeing - is it the "Margin allowance exceeded" message, or something else?
"Insufficient Funds"

OK, thanks - the "Insufficient Funds" message means that the system thinks you don't have sufficient balance in marginable currencies (BTC, EUR, USD) to cover the initial margin requirement of the order. So if there's an issue, it sounds like the system may not be accounting for the overall initial margin required for long and short orders. I'll make sure the devs look into this if they aren't already.

Yes, that could be true: the system calculates the required margin by adding up all positions and open orders. But since the orders could cancel open positions, such a summing seems not to be correct.

The system does calculate the required margin by adding up all positions and unfilled orders (both buy and sell). The reason is to avoid "fake" orders on the book that can't be taken because they aren't backed by anything. If you have 10 BTC in your account, you can put in a leveraged buy order for 30 BTC at 3:1 leverage. But if you are also allowed to put in a leveraged sell order for 30 BTC at 3:1 leverage and the buy order is later filled, then you now have a fake 30 BTC sell order on the book that isn't backed by anything. And you could iterate this process to create more fake orders.
The sell order is not unbacked but backed by the long position of 30BTC. E.g. the buy order is accepted, the user is 30BTC long and can put a 30BTC sell order. The same is true when the sell order is accepted, where he can then open a 30BTC long order. So why not allow both orders to be placed?

I'm not sure I'd say the short order is "backed" by the long position, but since the short order could only be used to close the long position, it may be unnecessary to require additional margin for it. So I see your question and am checking to see about the possibility of allowing it.  

This would not be possible to be iterated, since 2x 30BTC long and 2x 30BTC sell orders make no sense, it would add to 60BTC instead of 30BTC.

Agreed - you couldn't iterate this to get an order larger than 30 BTC. I realized this after posting, but was away from the keyboard and couldn't correct it.

Great you look into it. Here is a fresh example from a second ago to show that it is currently inconsistent: order sequence counts, but it should not
- I am 5BTC short
- I have 25BTC open short orders
- I can place another 5BTC short order, I can also place a 30BTC long order
- If I place the 5BTC short order before the 30BTC long order, it goes through
- If I place the 30BT long order first, I cannot place the 5BTC short order anymore. I then need to cancel the 30BTC long order, place the short order and replace the long order.

Thanks - the order here shouldn't matter, so this does appear to be an inconsistency and we'll look into it. Regarding the other issue where the system is requiring more margin than seems necessary, I discussed this with one of our devs and we agreed that we might be able to allow it in the way you suggest. It will be a little while yet before anything is done though, because we are looking at possibly allowing hedging soon and need to consider how this will impact things.

edit: another feature request: let users close their positions with their balances. For example, someone is 10BTC short, sends 10 BTC to kraken and has then the option to close his position with his balance.

Yes, this is a feature that we've had quite a few requests for. I don't think a definite decision has been made on it, but I don't see why we wouldn't offer it as an option, so I expect it will be put on the "to do" list soon.
legendary
i can't find it on your website under faq, but what is the maximum leverage? in the example it talk about 5:1 is that the maximum?

3:1 -- at least for my account (Germany, tier4).

so i presume that with tier 5 it will raise to 5:1? otherwise why talking about it in the example when it's not possible even with the highest level...

3:1 is currently the highest available leverage for both tier 3 and tier 4. However, we are still in the beta phase of the margin release and higher levels of leverage will be available later.

i see that you have raised it now to 20:1, this is was a good move, it is more in line with others exchanges

To clarify, we don't have 20:1 leverage yet, but plan this sometime in the next few weeks.
Jump to: