Author

Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained] - page 307. (Read 1369778 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007
As someone that's been using faucets to obtain Mintcoin but hasn't actually gotten involved yet... someone sell me on it. Why should one make the move? Why this coin? Smiley.
Activity: 611
Merit: 500
Anglo Saxon Crypto Enthusiast
Newsflash:  Cryptsy is having a sale on MINT, just 7 to 8 satoshi.  While supplies last!

I ran out of BTC so I thought I would let you guys in on it.

Well that figures - I just sent some btc to Mintpal to help eliminate the sells @10. pffffft!

I blame the idiot that leaves a 19 BTC sell order @48 on Cryptsy all the time. I'm wouldn't be surprised if that recent dump was the exchange selling the interest they make on all the coins people leave there out of habit.
Activity: 672
Banned: For Your Protection
Newsflash:  Cryptsy is having a sale on MINT, just 7 to 8 satoshi.  While supplies last!

Well that figures - I just sent some btc to Mintpal to help eliminate the sells @10. pffffft!
Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Activity: 185
I ported bitcoin-seeder to Mintcoin. It helps clients to bootstrap over DNS. Mintcoin didn't have any, and was exclusively using IRC to get an initial list of IPs. With DNS seeding, I hope establishing the initial connection to the network would be easier for new users. It will also benefit android wallet.

I set up a public dns seeder, but a second one will be appreciated. Source is available at https://github.com/keremhd/mintcoin-seeder

(Bitcoinj doesn't have IRC support, and I'm not thinking of adding an IRC library into mintcoinj. Mintcoin-qt will be fine even if DNS seed is down, it can fallback to IRC -- but android wallet can not)

Mintcoinj would be free software and will keep bitcoinj's license, period.

Though I will not release any source code (including library itself) until android binary is available on Google Play. I don't want to give any other coins a head start.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not worried about other coins copying this because

a) everyone would know where they got it from

b) a coin copying this that offers only 1% interest for example is low to the point where it is just a curiosity, not a selling point

I don't have an android phone, but this really adds important value and I can't wait to see Mintcoin get some of the attention it deserves!  
Actually I'm not in favor of paid-for-development clients Smiley But as far as I could see, your clients are already open source, so bounties for conversion are always ok Smiley

I would be happy to see a second application to use mintcoinj library as well as android wallet, it'll make the library stronger and will cause bugs to be found & fixed.

You should note that mintcoinj is not as lightweight as POW-only coins' Simple Payment Verification libraries. For POS security to be trustable, entire blockchain needs to be downloaded (but it will be much lighter than official client for sure, regarding both storage and CPU, but not bandwidth. Also hopefully android app will use some tricks and users won't have to download entire blockchain (bandwidth wise), but a pre-processed blockchain database file instead. You would have to embed similar measures for users to be happy)

Hi,

If you make mintcoinj library,

I can make Mintcoin lightweight wallet

similar like I did for Dogecoin www.wowdoge.org

or Vertcoin www.vertigowallet.org

or Execoin www.exelite.org.

Let me know if you are interested, please?

MINT: MZaH4MxEj5LrLDMgkw9b5yhg9dJWSfhE2k

Android wallet update 6:

Good news!

The following is the first transaction ever received and forwarded by mintcoinj Cheesy

http://mint.blockx.info/get/tx/68fec0ad06a76d1d37de929e14b6ad6d17352b715de4f5bcce648333e9bc4a9c

Activity: 132

One day left in this round of voting and MINT is just a few hundred votes short of first place https://mywl.lt/voting

Activity: 182
Yeah guys, let's not screw around and end up having someone get sued over trying to hold onto an exclusive feature (that was built off of a base of free open source code as I understand it) for ourselves.
Mintcoinj would be free software and will keep bitcoinj's license, period.

Though I will not release any source code (including library itself) until android binary is available on Google Play. I don't want to give any other coins a head start.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Paspi: might I suggest not releasing the source code to mintcoin android wallet/mintcoinj immediately. I would suggest giving it a 6 month grace period to give mintcoin a head start, otherwise it will be copied to every other pos coin immediately and give mintcoin no intrinsic value. Thoughts?

Its double edged sword. Do you trust a stranger with your coins without knowing what is inside the code?
I guess, its the idea which needs to be discussed, but i doubt that there will be much pro´s for keeping source code private.

I didn't think about this aspect. I just worry that paspi's work will not benefit mintcoin and this his bounty won't really be worth it as larger volume coins like blackcoin or cinni reap the benefits of his hard work.

Unfortunately, due to the licensing restrictions, mintcoinj would still be considered a derivative work since it was cloned from the bitcoinj library.  Therefore, the person releasing the binaries must also make the source code available or risk a lawsuit.
Activity: 230
Paspi: might I suggest not releasing the source code to mintcoin android wallet/mintcoinj immediately. I would suggest giving it a 6 month grace period to give mintcoin a head start, otherwise it will be copied to every other pos coin immediately and give mintcoin no intrinsic value. Thoughts?

Its double edged sword. Do you trust a stranger with your coins without knowing what is inside the code?
I guess, its the idea which needs to be discussed, but i doubt that there will be much pro´s for keeping source code private.

The main condition of the Developers bounty, is that the Android wallet be open source. We all have to remember as well, that paspi and Mintcoin are not the only ones working on a PoS Android wallet, Silkcoin for example states they are around 70% complete, but their version is a real battery drain.

As long as paspi can complete Mintcoins Android wallet before the others, it will be paspi and Mintcoin that will always be credited with it's development, this is the important part, along with Mintcoin then being able to be used so much easier for mobile transactions.

To have a grace period, the source code could just be released to the developers and they could approve it... It makes sense to have this stamp of approval and only allow Mintcoin fans to use the android wallet for a while before the source code is released.
Activity: 165

I didn't think about this aspect. I just worry that paspi's work will not benefit mintcoin and this his bounty won't really be worth it as larger volume coins like blackcoin or cinni reap the benefits of his hard work.
Activity: 546

Activity: 182
Is "mintcoinj" what we're calling the android wallet? Little confused, sorry...
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1722
https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF
Is there any way to add darkcoin functionality to mintcoin eventually? Adding true anonymity would add another perk to this coin.

I just sold all my Darkcoin... One my issues with it is that yes, Darksend when it's finished can just be added to any other coin as an added functionality I believe.

For the main part, Proof-of-Stake and the function of Staking somewhat relinquishes your wallets anonymity onto the blockchain.

Therefore, the addition of effective 'darksend' technology into any PoS coin is much more difficult, certainly in the immediate future. It will be much simpler for developers to include this type of function into non-PoS coins.

In terms of Alt. coins, Mintcoin and Darkcoin are perhaps two of the main and most important coins looking forward, imho.

Mintcoin - a pure PoS 'energy saving' coin that serves as an interest bearing / savings account.

Darkcoin - an energy efficient PoW algorithm and true 'anonymous' transactions, when Darksend is fully implemented.

Is there any way to add darkcoin functionality to mintcoin eventually? Adding true anonymity would add another perk to this coin.

I just sold all my Darkcoin... One my issues with it is that yes, Darksend when it's finished can just be added to any other coin as an added functionality I believe.
Jump to: