Author

Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained] - page 371. (Read 1369778 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Do we know why the block explorer stopped working to begin with? Was it something related to the update, or to the people who haven't updated yet which are causing us all to get occasional blips that our wallet is trying to synch ~8-10k blocks?

Block explorer has only been down for a day. It says no connection on the page, my wallet runs fine so I'm assuming the site operator lost internet for one reason or another.
Activity: 182
Do we know why the block explorer stopped working to begin with? Was it something related to the update, or to the people who haven't updated yet which are causing us all to get occasional blips that our wallet is trying to synch ~8-10k blocks?
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Does anyone have a working block explorer? http://mint.blockx.info/get/chain/MintCoin is not updating.
I think paspi (or unek?) is working on it. It was mentioned around 50 pages ago, I don't remember the link.
Activity: 613
Merit: 500
Mintcoin: Get some
Does anyone have a working block explorer? http://mint.blockx.info/get/chain/MintCoin is not updating.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Is there code for wallets to autoupgrade or be prompted to upgrade? 
Activity: 182
Can someone tell me what is wrong with the wallet?  

I suspect some of the nodes in the conf file need to be deleted/banned
Can someone tell me which ones?

Current number of blocks:  254061
Estimated total blocks:  265643  <-----------------------

from console

11581 blocks remaining

The incorrect nodes need to be banned.

Then suddenly it says it is synced again:

Current number of blocks:  254079
Estimated total blocks:  254071  <--------------------------

"wallet check passed" : true

Hi, you don't have to do anything, your wallet notices that some node tries to feed it an invalid blockchain and bans its IP for 24 hours automatically (you can track the banning process from debug.log file).

It's actually just a display issue (rogue client's advertised blockchain height keeps showing in the UI after it's banned&disconnected, until a few new connections are made to overwrite it), check my post below.

Rogue clients are expected on a P2P network, and mintcoin wallet already has tools to protect itself from them. For the display issue, it'll be fixed in next release -- I already submitted a patch for it and devs merged it. It's not critical, so not urgent, just confusing.

Hello,
If you're using 1.8 wallet, you can safely ignore sync problems. Just hover your mouse on the "syncing" text, if it says last generated block is generated just a few seconds/minutes ago, then you're fine.

There are some rogue clients on the network that announce wrong block heights (they are people who did not upgrade to 1.7 or upgraded late, and still haven't noticed), when such a client connects to you, it confuses your client. Your client disconnects them, but the estimate on UI stays there. So it's really a display issue.

Thanks
Activity: 307
Merit: 252

Android wallet update 2:

Oh, OK.

Actually I'm thinking on this. Probably minted POS blocks on android will not include broadcasted transactions as they cannot actually prove the transactions are valid (It won't be good to include non verifiable transactions in a block, the network would reject the block and all work to generate that POS block will be wasted). Although this would mean android wallets would be selfish, not helping to include transactions in the blockchain, it also means that they won't receive the transaction fees, leaving them to other clients to collect. So I guess it's fair.

thanks for the detailed explanation. is it correct that the selfish android wallet would still get some coins minted without the transactions included in blocks? if so how much fees are there? how many coins would such a wallet "lose"? i haven't fully grasped the minting process. if the android wallet would still mint but receive a bit less coins than the actually verifying standard client while being safe from scammers it's totally fine by me. and i think the others will also agree to that.

another (but maybe same) idea. is it possible that the android wallet just verifies that it is on the main chain by using the public blockchain by waiting a bit? Grin so maybe the transaction is a bit delayed but the android client knows the main chain which is being secured by the normal clients? and it doesn't need to check all the other possible chains. just wait for the others to decide which way to go. you know what I mean?

and another idea. maybe it is possible to use some kind of a random function for the wallet to download only random 10 000 historical blocks from the blockchain. any 10000 blocks. and keep them stored in the wallet. that way it isn't necessary to download the whole blockchain while the possible attacker still doesn't know which blocks the android wallet knows for sure to be correct and included in the main chain. is it sensible?

i hope my questions/ideas give you something  Grin maybe a more experienced person like Kergecoin or one of the developers could comment?
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062
One coin to rule them all
Excellent initiative, BitcoinFX!

Our coding team could probably compile a wallet for the raspberry. This would be a great way to advertise mintcoin, especially if can secure some advertisement. Could the marketing team handle this?
(if anyone wants to join the marketing team, contact me)

there is already a raspberry pi wallet for NXT which runs on solar energy. it is a nice gimmick but i don't think it will be used by a lot of people. it takes some time to get it to work properly and most people will not invest that amount of time. further isn't there already a linux wallet for MINT? isn't it possible to put this on a raspberry pi? maybe someone can try?

i think the android wallet is the best opportunity. you can always run a low spec android device with a solar adapter. great for people in warm countries  Grin

I agree with that, I see the largest potential with the Andriod application.

The solarpowered ras-pi is nice for show and promotion to give mint an "edge" over bitcoin.
Activity: 307
Merit: 252

Our coding team could probably compile a wallet for the raspberry. This would be a great way to advertise mintcoin, especially if can secure some advertisement. Could the marketing team handle this?

there is already a raspberry pi wallet for NXT which runs on solar energy. it is a nice gimmick but i don't think it will be used by a lot of people. it takes some time to get it to work properly and most people will not invest that amount of time. further isn't there already a linux wallet for MINT? isn't it possible to put this on a raspberry pi? maybe someone can try?

i think the android wallet is the best opportunity. you can always run a low spec android device with a solar adapter. great for people in warm countries  Grin
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
that's a wonderful idea!!!!

I'm getting one!
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1722
https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

Thanks! It should be possible to do fully 'off-grid' Minting by using one of those mobile phone USB dongle things.

I'm not sure if the tech. would have a longevity issue with the number of charge cycles, but it would also be possible to chain the batteries. Some of those high mAh external batteries actually have built in solar panels as well. I've seen portable versions up to around 30000 to 50000 mAh with solar panels built-in, but anything higher starts to look a bit like a mini generator.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I saw this tweet today from Mattatat ‏@BrownleeMathew Apr 10

"Weird...had a dream that my laptop was solar powered and minting physical #mintcoin. Were constantly popping out of the side #efficiency"

... and decided to checkout if something like this might already be possible using existing tech. and in terms of some ROI over-time etc.

Solar/Battery Powered Raspberry Pi - http://youtu.be/Ze5mqZyondQ

Raspberry Pi Raspdock by alivemaker - http://youtu.be/VoANgBYFCEY   Cool

or a Raspberry Pi Laptop with Atrix 4G Dock - http://youtu.be/yZkz_a52I6s

More Solar power...

Anker 14-Watt Foldable Solar Panel Battery Charger with Astro E5 15000mAh External Battery - http://youtu.be/xYDn5M1Vb3M

So, actually quite feasible and perhaps when you compare it with something like this...

A LOOK INSIDE AMERICA'S LARGEST BITCOIN MINING OPERATION - http://youtu.be/5CjldZLXiAU

#Mintcoin is certainly much more #EcoFriendly !

THATS A REALLY COOL IDEA!
Activity: 185
Android wallet update 2:

Hey paspi, amazing news!

I've read your post a couple of times now. And still I don't fully understand the way the wallet works or the possible problem.  Roll Eyes Maybe you could explain it using an example? I'm not that techy so please keep it simple. I would really like to help you.

Oh, OK.

Normally, reference client works by validating the blockchain from block #0 to block #250,000. The ledger is public, every POW or POS block generated (and the transactions in them) are public, and the reference client just fetches them from the network, and replays it. It also stores every block and every transaction, so it can cope with the network choosing one branch over another.

Each block (POS or POW) has a difficulty target contained in it, the block's information can be used to prove that CPU time was spent there and block is indeed at least as difficult as it claims to be. Soemtimes main chain can fork, and reference clients follow the chain with the largest amount of work in it. But they can switch over to another branch if network chooses to continue on it and its total amount of work (since block #0) passes the others.

On the other hand, SPV clients are light weight they don't store every block or every transaction. They just store last 5000 blocks' headers (amount of CPU work in the block, and block's connection to older blocks up to genesis can be verified from there). They try to keep track of every possible branch by its cumulative work (since block #0), and follow the longest one. They don't try to verify any transactions, just show the user received coins if they notice a transaction to their own addresses. Verification means the coins you received were spendable by the person who sent them to you (1.the coins was really received by his address previously, 2. and they were not spent before).

This spent/unspent verification can continue up to Block #0 in a reference client. A SPV client trusts that this verification was made by the network, and network won't relay invalid blocks to the SPV client. Even if a rogue peer sends some blocks that look legitimate by their Proof Of Work, but don't contain valid transactions; eventually cpu power of network would gain advantage and would generate more Proof Of Work (resulting in a longer chain), surpassing rogue peer's chain.

For a theoretical SPV client for POW+POS coins, last paragraph is what causes the problem. The amount of work specified in a  block's header is indeed correct, and can be summed up to the genesis block to see which chain has more work in it. But if the block is not POW but a POS block, work amount specified in block header is very low, the actual difficulty exists in the coinstake transaction.

If a client does not verify coinstake transactions, a rogue party can just feed him lots of POS blocks with invalid transactions in it, faster than what the network generates. Client will believe the longer chain is the correct chain, and follow it; it may end up in a fraudalent payment that looks as received on SPV client.

All clients keep track of spent and unspent transactions only on the main chain. If another chain is found out to be longer, all blocks on the old chain from the fork point is disconnected, and blocks on the better chain are connected one by one. While connecting blocks one by one, transaction verification is done on every new block. This is a reorganization, happens once in a while when some parts of the network follow different blocks, but sorts itself out after some transactions (it's the reason for 50 confirmation limit).

The second problem for a SPV POW+POS client lies in the above paragraph. A SPV POW+POS client might say "I will only store last 5000 blocks and transactions, and I will use them verify transactions when reorganization occurs. And leave the rest of the transactions unverified if I don't have information on their source coins anymore"). Now here's the attack: because I know that client verifies transactions only in the main chain, and does not try to verify transactions on other chains until they become longer than the main chain, I can feed the client a total of 5000 blocks in multiple chain branches to overwrite the valid blocks in its storage (but without any of the branch becoming longer than the main chain), then once I know the client doesn't store historical blocks, I can make one of by chains longer than the main chain, and lure the client.

To overcome this problem, not only light-verification of the longest chain is needed, but all chains must be verified to prevent them becoming longer than main chain earlier if there are already problems with them. (This verification is challenging part). Also all transactions need to be stored for those stored blocks (because any of them may be needed to verify a further POS block), this is another problem.

For POS blocks that cannot be verified (and also cannot be marked as invalid, block seems legit but client deleted its history so it cannot verify it anymore) ; I decided on counting their difficulty in the chain as zero (instead of their target difficulty), so if a long series of unverifable POS blocks won't be able to cause that chain to become longer. The network will have the advantage if it can generate *verifiable* blocks faster than the attacker.

These measures are necessary for being sure that you actually received the incoming transactions and that you are not scammed.

Do you see any possibility of a malfunction or a possible scam when the android wallet you're developing uses only the transactions of the last 40 days?

Is this problem only relevant for the minting process or is it necessary to have the whole blockchain on the android device in order to simply send and receive mintcoins?

Maybe it is possible to verify only some blocks of the blockchain instead of having the whole blockchain on the android device. I mean additionally to the blocks from the last 40 days maybe only verify the 100th or the 10000th block of the blockchain. That way it is secured that the correct blockchain is used? Or is it another problem?

Also maybe it is possible to mint using the android device without securing the network? (<-sound stupid but i mean it). As long as enough wallets are run on the laptops and pcs the network is secure.

Thank you for your efforts and your explanations!

Actually I'm thinking on this. Probably minted POS blocks on android will not include broadcasted transactions as they cannot actually prove the transactions are valid (It won't be good to include non verifiable transactions in a block, the network would reject the block and all work to generate that POS block will be wasted). Although this would mean android wallets would be selfish, not helping to include transactions in the blockchain, it also means that they won't receive the transaction fees, leaving them to other clients to collect. So I guess it's fair.

Sorry for the long post. The subject has too many delicate details and I guess in the end I will have to write a whitepaper on it to describe it properly with all the issues.
Monero Core Team

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1722
https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF
I saw this tweet today from Mattatat ‏@BrownleeMathew Apr 10

"Weird...had a dream that my laptop was solar powered and minting physical #mintcoin. Were constantly popping out of the side #efficiency"

... and decided to checkout if something like this might already be possible using existing tech. and in terms of some ROI over-time etc.

Solar/Battery Powered Raspberry Pi - http://youtu.be/Ze5mqZyondQ

Raspberry Pi Raspdock by alivemaker - http://youtu.be/VoANgBYFCEY   Cool

or a Raspberry Pi Laptop with Atrix 4G Dock - http://youtu.be/yZkz_a52I6s

More Solar power...

Anker 14-Watt Foldable Solar Panel Battery Charger with Astro E5 15000mAh External Battery - http://youtu.be/xYDn5M1Vb3M

So, actually quite feasible and perhaps when you compare it with something like this...

A LOOK INSIDE AMERICA'S LARGEST BITCOIN MINING OPERATION - http://youtu.be/5CjldZLXiAU

#Mintcoin is certainly much more #EcoFriendly !

How do we take advantage of coin control? Does it automatically withdraw the last deposited coins in the wallet or is it more technical?
Just enable it from settings window first. A new panel will appear in Send Coins.

If open Coin Control window from there, you can see all your incoming transactions eligible for spending. You can sort them, and choose the ones you want to spend. If you don't use Coin Control, it works the same as before.

I use coin control to send from freshly minted coins (coinage < 1 days), or send from oldest but very low value transactions compared to others. It is up to you to decide what's best for you.
Activity: 165
How do we take advantage of coin control? Does it automatically withdraw the last deposited coins in the wallet or is it more technical?
Can someone tell me what is wrong with the wallet?  

I suspect some of the nodes in the conf file need to be deleted/banned
Can someone tell me which ones?

Current number of blocks:  254061
Estimated total blocks:  265643  <-----------------------

from console

11581 blocks remaining

The incorrect nodes need to be banned.

Then suddenly it says it is synced again:

Current number of blocks:  254079
Estimated total blocks:  254071  <--------------------------

"wallet check passed" : true

Hi, you don't have to do anything, your wallet notices that some node tries to feed it an invalid blockchain and bans its IP for 24 hours automatically (you can track the banning process from debug.log file).

It's actually just a display issue (rogue client's advertised blockchain height keeps showing in the UI after it's banned&disconnected, until a few new connections are made to overwrite it), check my post below.

Rogue clients are expected on a P2P network, and mintcoin wallet already has tools to protect itself from them. For the display issue, it'll be fixed in next release -- I already submitted a patch for it and devs merged it. It's not critical, so not urgent, just confusing.

Hello,
If you're using 1.8 wallet, you can safely ignore sync problems. Just hover your mouse on the "syncing" text, if it says last generated block is generated just a few seconds/minutes ago, then you're fine.

There are some rogue clients on the network that announce wrong block heights (they are people who did not upgrade to 1.7 or upgraded late, and still haven't noticed), when such a client connects to you, it confuses your client. Your client disconnects them, but the estimate on UI stays there. So it's really a display issue.
Monero Core Team
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Hi everyone,

I created a Linux wallet for non Debian Linuxes (specifically, for Arch and Manjaro).

You can download it on mintcoin-central.com/downloads it is called "Wallet 1.8 Linux (Arch/Manjaro) with coin control". I will upload it on mintcoin.cc as soon as possible. It doesn't have coin control yet since I am using the official git.

Please notice this is my very first compilation. It works for me but it might not for you. PM me!

Now that I finally can get a secure Wallet (i.e. not on a Windows VM), expect some more news!

Credit given where credit is due: thanks to lonely@thetop for  the solution.

+1. Nice work, David!
Jump to: